PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim > Dawnguard
Subscribe    Donate

Old 06-27-2012, 03:07 AM   #1
ShaggyB

ShaggyB's Gamercard
Random Vampire attacks

So I went and got my crossbow, then I came back to whiterun. I left dragons reach only to discover 4 vamps were attacking the town. They killed the shop keeper at war maidens.

Is there anyway to prevent this or get new shop keepers. Ive already lost the smith in riverwood (dragon attack). Id like to not lose more.
ShaggyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:16 AM   #2
Bobalue

Bobalue1's Gamercard
As far as I know, once they are killed they are gone for good. Some have assistants which can take over. Lucky for you, Warmaidens is one of those cases. That's the best you can get out of that situation I guess.

Seriously 3.0 Progress: 56.77% ... 24/65 Onyx Medals

25,000G - 11/26/2010
50,000G - 6/24/2011

Bobalue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
fonzycore

fonzycore's Gamercard
These vampire attacks are hilarious to me and I think it adds to the depth of Skyrim. I know a lot of people complained that even though you could do quests as you please and have a unique playstyle, that your choices had little or no consequence. These random vampire attacks make the world a little scarier to live in and adds an element of surprise and lack of control. I was in Windhelm and saw a vampire attacking an elf lady and the priestess Jora. He killed the stable elf, reanimated her, then the reanimated corpse decapitated the priestess Jora. Also I got an inheritance letter because Amren in Whiterun was killed by a vampire randomly as well. These kind of events are fun for me at least, it takes some of the control away in a game where you can pretty much control everything. Same with dragon attacks. As with most deaths, they are usually unavoidable and you have the response I'm sure the developers were going for. They made the vampire problem a serious matter that you couldn't just wait around for and forced you to endure the loss of characters you may have used as followers previously or had to rely on for shopping. Skyrim wasn't meant to be a perfect happy world where everyone lives.

Last edited by fonzycore; 07-01-2012 at 03:07 PM.
fonzycore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
yourbreakfast99

Breakfas's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
i kinda like this new factor while playing
yourbreakfast99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
kev618

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
So I went and got my crossbow, then I came back to whiterun. I left dragons reach only to discover 4 vamps were attacking the town. They killed the shop keeper at war maidens.

Is there anyway to prevent this or get new shop keepers. Ive already lost the smith in riverwood (dragon attack). Id like to not lose more.

Gotta thank the geniuses at Bethesda who came up with the 3 Autosaves in a row feature.....saves my skin sometimes......

Load a previous save and try to prevent that....it happened to me and she became a vampire's thrall....poor thing
kev618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:11 AM   #6
Spartanic Ghost

Spartanic Ghost's Gamercard
I think it's kind of funny really. I've dealt with at least 10 attacks, probably more, and no NPC was ever killed. It adds a bit of challenge for those that aren't fast to the kill I suppose, but I have no problem cleaning them right off the streets. I'm happy they added it though. Also I think doing radiant missions for the Dawnguard can lower the number of vampires that spawn, like, so they don't spawn as often. But idk.
Spartanic Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:20 AM   #7
Nevander

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver   5,000 Posts
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Why would Bethesda make it so characters which can't re-spawn can be killed from bullshit like this and then screw you out of things? What gives?

This makes me not want to get the DLC for real.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:40 AM   #8
yourbreakfast99

Breakfas's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevander View Post
Why would Bethesda make it so characters which can't re-spawn can be killed from bullshit like this and then screw you out of things? What gives?

I honestly don't know why they would do this.
yourbreakfast99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:23 AM   #9
Spartanic Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbreakfast99 View Post
I honestly don't know why they would do this.
For role playing purposes. It gives you a good reason to protect the people. Gives you enough reason not to kill them all yourself.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:29 AM   #10
Nevander

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver   5,000 Posts
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanic Ghost View Post
It gives you a good reason to protect the people.
So just because I get a DLC, that suddenly obligates me to protect everyone in Skyrim that I need for certain things? They can't protect themselves and can be found randomly dead?

I like to only have to worry about myself and not find people I need randomly dead. Yes, I'm very self-centered, at least in this game.

If, when, I get the DLC, I'm going to back up my save file before downloading it. Install it, get the achievements, then delete the DLC and any save files made while doing it and then go back to before I ever started it (thanks to this issue with the DLC).

I've also read that the main quest Elder Scroll becomes a permanently stuck quest item if you have to re-buy it from Urag. The last thing I need is more glitched quest items.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:40 AM   #11
Spartanic Ghost

Quote:
I've also read that the main quest Elder Scroll becomes a permanently stuck quest item if you have to re-buy it from Urag. The last thing I need is more glitched quest items.
If you side with Dawnguard you can give it to the Moth Priest.

To me it just sounds like you're being bitter and making a mountain out of a few mole hills. It's really not that big of a deal at all. So you have to swing your sword at a few vampires every now and then. Does it really have that big of a negative impact on your game?

If so maybe you should try a game like Pac-man where things aren't quite so complicated.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:13 AM   #12
adz5000

Send a message via MSN to adz5000

adz5000's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanic Ghost View Post
Maybe you should try a game like Pac-man where things aren't quite so complicated.
This quote would be in my sig if I hadn't already hit the 500 Character limit

Impatiently waiting for TITANFALL to ermmm.... fall?
adz5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #13
Spartanic Ghost

Well that's flattering.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:56 PM   #14
fonzycore

fonzycore's Gamercard
i like the vamps punkin on my cities, gives me more a reason to join the dawnguard and hunt them down.
fonzycore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:31 PM   #15
ShaggyB

ShaggyB's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev618 View Post
Gotta thank the geniuses at Bethesda who came up with the 3 Autosaves in a row feature.....saves my skin sometimes......

Load a previous save and try to prevent that....it happened to me and she became a vampire's thrall....poor thing
Well here is what I had to do: (Spoilers)
1) reset to a save before I started Dawnguard quest. 2) I then deactivated the quest. (Ie: I unselected it, and continued on without going to Dawnguard castle) 3) Grind my way through Werewolf perks. 4) Did purity quests for Farkas and Vilkas (in that order due to them being glitched) 5) Started Dawnguard and have not gone to a town besides Dragon Bridge. Currently am at exploring the vamp castle quest.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #16
ShaggyB

ShaggyB's Gamercard
Quote:

Honestly. I hate that new shop keeps dont move in.... but what do you expect when the guy specifically tells you that youve not been looking hard enough if you havent seen the vamp threats in towns?

What pissed me off with it, is I couldnt get to the fight fast enough to save the shop keep. I was at Dragonsreach and shes at the bottom of the town. I ran, I shout ran and shes still the first casualty. Dead before I get there.

Ive already lost the riverwood blacksmith to a dragon attack (didnt notice his death for a month of real world time.... no clue when he died but I do recall fighting a dragon in that town and he looked as if hed been flung by one when i found his body.)