Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooter > BioShock 2
Subscribe    Donate

Old 12-28-2011, 04:32 AM   #1
unlikeyou

unlikeyou's Gamercard
Thinking of starting Bioshock 2

I had somewhat of a love/hate relationship with Bioshock. Picked it up the first week it came out, didn't really enjoy it and put it down. I started it over probably over a year later and played it through entirely, thoroughly enjoying it.

I have heard that the 2nd is fairly different than the first, both in good ways and bad. What are people's thoughts? It seems some people definitely prefer the 1st over the 2nd while others swear by the 2nd. Think I'll get as sucked in as the first?
unlikeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:02 AM   #2
McGoogles

Ratify's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - * Clueless *   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   5,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Silver   Staff Club - DEG23   XBA Promoter   Submit - Silver
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
You probably won't get as sucked into it like its predecessor, but it's still a decent campaign. The exquisiteness and excitement of the multiplayer compensates for the mediocre campaign.

However, the DLC (specifically Minerva's Den) is extremely amazing and I found it better than the actual campaign.
Latest arcade completion: Warface

McGoogles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:49 AM   #3
bleu moose

RD GetInMyBelly's Gamercard
yea i agree.... a lot of ppl will probably disagree but i thought mp made up for a not as gripping campaign that the first bioshock gave us
bleu moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
Denizens44

Guardsman Jacob's Gamercard
I loved the single player in this game, it is extremely worth it in my opinion. The Multiplayer was a bit tacked on, but its still decently enjoyable.

Thank you Audacious for the signature

Gamertag: Guardsman Jacob
Denizens44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
CrazyStu4

CrazyStu4's Gamercard
I think BioShock 2 is more fast-paced than BioShock 1, especially in terms of weapons. Also, BioShock 2's story is easier to understand, so you can play through the campaign without constantly wondering what's going on!
CrazyStu4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #6
Aidexx

Aidexx's Gamercard
The SP experience in Bioshock 2 was almost as good as it was in the first game, so this game is a worthy successor of a classic. It fixed some problems, developed other and and invented something new, plus it has a multiplayer, which is quite aimless experience, but still fun for those into it. Still hope that the Infinite is a single player experience only.
Aidexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:57 PM   #7
Confederate Jeb

Confederate Jeb's Gamercard
Sorry to be reviving a dormant thread, but I have a question for you guys. I recently took advantage of Gamestop's 3 used games for the price of 2 deal, and one of the games I picked up was Bioshock 2. I was aiming to get the original but my store didn't have a copy available. My question to you guys is, having not played either game before and having not started Bioshock 2 yet, should I purchase the original Bioshock and play through that first, or would sticking with Bioshock 2 and if I enjoy it getting the first be acceptable?
Confederate Jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #8
HabsCen10ial

HabsCen10ial's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I would wait and play the original first.

The original Bioshock was a masterpiece and IMO everybody should play it. Do yourself a favour and play them in order.

Credit goes to Xerofox for the amazing Montreal Canadiens sig!

HabsCen10ial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:23 AM   #9
sternn

karterfone's Gamercard
I highly recommend playing the first one before touching BS2. There's a lot of story elements in BS1 that are outright spoiled in the second one. BS2 more or less assumes you've played the first one already.
sternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #10
Confederate Jeb

Confederate Jeb's Gamercard
Alright then, thanks for the advice guys.
Confederate Jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #11
cjdavies

cjdavies82's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confederate Jeb View Post
Sorry to be reviving a dormant thread, but I have a question for you guys. I recently took advantage of Gamestop's 3 used games for the price of 2 deal, and one of the games I picked up was Bioshock 2. I was aiming to get the original but my store didn't have a copy available. My question to you guys is, having not played either game before and having not started Bioshock 2 yet, should I purchase the original Bioshock and play through that first, or would sticking with Bioshock 2 and if I enjoy it getting the first be acceptable?
Biit late now but can see only posted a few days ago, I was reading about Bioshock Infinite, sounded interested, played the demo for Bioshock, enjoyed and ended up buying Bioshock 1 and 2 together. Bioshock 1 was amazing, and finding 2 really fun is well, lots of exploring involved. There are references to the first, so play that to have a better understanding.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:58 PM   #12
Purge

Send a message via AIM to Purge Send a message via MSN to Purge Send a message via Skype™ to Purge

Davy Allan's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Green Thumb - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Submit - Silver   SOTF Runner Up   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Donator - Level 1   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)
I really enjoyed the campaign. It's not as magical and wonderful as the first, but it's still the same idea. You've got your underwater city, but this time you have better gameplay and yeah, I would play the first before hand.
It's like they're all still there. You feel it too, don't you?

Purge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:40 PM   #13
xKRAIZEEMANx

xKRAIZEEMANx's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
I enjoyed them both, though I enjoyed the 1st one a little more. I anxiously await the release of the 3rd one.

xKRAIZEEMANx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:02 AM   #14
BabePoop

BabePoop's Gamercard
I loved the first one

I love the first one and the second one was the same, I loved it! It is a great game and if you have friends that have it multiplayer can be very fun.
BabePoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:16 PM   #15
Corpse87

cooke4ladybyng's Gamercard
I am going back through 2 and trying to knock out some achievements,they are both fun games.I like 2 better but not by much,they are both really cheap so anyone is on the fence about getting them just do it.

Last edited by Corpse87; 07-08-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Corpse87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #16
Acidflesh

Acidflesh's Gamercard
Playing through it a third time and its still just as good as the first. Great game. But I have to say No.1 was alot better.
Acidflesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:23 PM   #17
sheldonsto

sheldonsto's Gamercard
very good storytelling

one of the elements that did carry over from the first game was the good story telling of the campaign
sheldonsto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #18
Gilgamash

ScArZ xXx Soul's Gamercard
Bioshock 2 in my opinion is way better than the first one in terms of gameplay, for story though, it lacked. But I do recommend this game to you.
Gilgamash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:14 AM   #19
A Fiesty Raptor

A Fiesty Raptor's Gamercard
I loved this game, but if you weren't crazy about the first, you probably won't like this.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:03 AM   #20
Rymt

Omisake's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I loved it. I was kinda lost though since I never played the first one but BioShock 2 was definitely a hell of a lot of fun. Not too short and not too long. Somewhere in the middle I would say. I would recommend playing it for sure though.

Thanks to Cpt Slaughter for the amazing sig!
Rymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:47 PM   #21
Xenolith666

Xenolith666's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Staff Club - Never Final   Staff Club - Gackt   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Over Achiever - Gold   Micro Guide - Silver   1,000 Posts   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
If you're going to buy Bioshock 2.. do it now.. it's on sale for $5.00 until 01/13/14... 3 days from now
100% RPG's: 41 Post #8
Proudest: Star Ocean; Dark Souls
Failing to Understand our Capacity for Kindness

Xenolith666 is offline   Reply With Quote