Subscribe    Donate

Old 07-07-2012, 07:09 AM   #1
DragonsGoMOO

dragonsgomoo's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Poison Oak Treatments/Cures/Methods?

So I have poison oak, I think.

I have it on my right wrist, left ankle, and right ankle. Right ankle is the worst. It looks like a purple reddish bruise. I can't see any bite marks, and neither were my dad and girlfriend.

I went to the doctor and was prescribed a cream called "Clobetasol Propionate", whatever the hell that is. Use twice a day, no more.

Before that, I used a cream called Triamcinolone, which got rid of my previous poison oak last summer. It said discard 3/12, so it either expired and is useless, or I just need a few more doses.

I'm using the first cream only, as that is the most recent.

I was wondering if anyone had any for sure cures or methods of ridding it, or any products I can buy at REI, Walmart, Target, wherever, that can help prevent poison oak from happening. I heard someone say that there's a product you can pour just a bit into your clothes when you wash them to help, but I can't recall the name. I think it was "tetra" but I'm probably wrong.

It's not that bothersome, except when my girlfriend and friends are over, because I don't want them to get any of it. Any help would be appreciated, and I'm sure any help will help others prevent getting them or having quick treatments/hints. Thanks.

DragonsGoMOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:33 AM   #2
Neverender

Deadpool x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Green Thumb - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Silver   Staff Club - Neverender   Over Achiever - Silver   x360a Representer   Road Map - Gold   Bright Idea   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Poison Oak is essentially just super-powered poison ivy. Take antihistamines to reduce the swelling, drown it in calamine lotion, and when you shower scrub the hell out of it (it'll be painful, but it'll get a lot of oozy bad stuff out). Aside from that, you've just got to wait it out.

My Staff Club

Neverender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:43 AM   #3
Floorkiller

threehaddock62's Gamercard
"Shit Happens" - DragonsGoMoo
Floorkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
xKRAIZEEMANx

xKRAIZEEMANx's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverender View Post
drown it in calamine lotion

This always works the best for me.

xKRAIZEEMANx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:44 PM   #5
Gackt
Banned User

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Gackt   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Gold   SOTF Winner   GSL 8 Winners   The Helping Hand   Bright Idea   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze   Artist of the Month
Total Awards: 15 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonsGoMOO View Post
Shit happens.

Gackt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
ChickinOnaChain

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Here you go Dragons...even though you were a bit of a butt in the "morning addictions" thread...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001872/

ChickinOnaChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #7
DragonsGoMOO

dragonsgomoo's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverender View Post
Poison Oak is essentially just super-powered poison ivy. Take antihistamines to reduce the swelling, drown it in calamine lotion, and when you shower scrub the hell out of it (it'll be painful, but it'll get a lot of oozy bad stuff out). Aside from that, you've just got to wait it out.
That's my plan for this morning. Take pills, rub with calamine lotion, use rough and soft towels, then use the powerful cream my doctor recommended. Apparently the cream can thin skin out, so that's a concern I have.

I work a lot in tall grasses, blackberry bushes, poison oak obviously, ridding the invasive plants on this preservation.

Even the heavy boots, long gaiters, long sleeve, gloves, didn't help.

I was told that poison oak does not show up right away on everyone, and that it builds up, so when it does decide to show up, it'll be worse depending how much you came into contact with over time. It is the opposite of building tolerance for, like taking drugs and having to increase the dosage to have it effective.

Time for a chemical bath.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:12 AM   #8
bapae

Shaftamus Prime's Gamercard

Don't scratch it and just wait it out. Some calamine lotion and keep it cleaned out so it doesn't get infected.

bapae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:13 AM   #9
Benny34
Banned User

Don't be a baby suck it up
Benny34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:50 AM   #10
A ZombieTwinkie

A ZombieTwinkie's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Silver   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
One man once said...

Quote:
Shit happens

Why come for help, when you're one of those guys who doesn't give a lot of help when others ask....

*Props to G A C K T for the awesome sig*

A ZombieTwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #11
Jakez123
Never be Bronze

Jakez123's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gotta Go Fast! Franchise Club - Tier 1   Free Agents - First Place   Community Gaming - Bronze   RPG!!! Challenge Club - Tier 3   Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   2,500 Posts   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Over Achiever - Gold   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 1
Total Awards: 20 (more» ...)
Shit happens

Beating Dirty in Killer Instinct is as easy as 123
Jakez123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #12
Gorilla Stomper

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Put salt and vinegar on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty-Rex View Post
Yeah you're right anime is stupid and for dudes with tiny dicks.
Gorilla Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #13
Kairi

Send a message via Skype™ to Kairi

Kairi x360's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Platinum   Tri-Gamer Tournament - Runner Up   A+ Thread Award   Staff - Moderator   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 1   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Silver   Staff - Guide Team   Achievement Guide - Silver   Road Map - Silver
Total Awards: 24 (more» ...)
I think there is some type of medicine you can take along with using cream but I forget what it's called and I'm not sure if it works for poison oak. I know someone that had poison sumac last year that was told to take that and I think I know someone that had poison ivy that has to take it as well.

Anyhow, definitely apply tons of the cream and if you are worried about other people possibly getting it, do you best to always keep it covered with something. I hope it gets better soon and that you don't have it too bad!
Kairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #14
TheMovieGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Stomper View Post
Put salt and vinegar on it.
Pro-tip.

10char/
TheMovieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #15
Paka

bucfanpaka's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
http://healthwyze.org/index.php/natu...oison-ivy.html - Jewelweed. Got introduced to the stuff in the mountains of N.C. after getting stung; stuff is just incredible.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:00 AM   #16
DragonsGoMOO

dragonsgomoo's Gamercard

1 - How am I supposed to help when a company gets ruined by Microsoft?
2 - Salt and vinegar was the first thing I tried
3- I don't know what poison sumac is, but if you remember, that'd be great, if not, my problem is fading away
4 - Jewelweed, might have to look it up and find some products for use everyday, if it sounds good

I don't scratch it. The first time I got it, I kept scratching and it eventually covered my torso, front and back. Sadly, the cream I got from dad has not worked as well as I hoped it would. First time I used it, it was gone in a few days.

I told my girlfriend I took a twenty dollar bill and rubbed it on my infected areas, then bought some food with that money. I crumpled it into a ball so the guy would touch it more and be more exposed to it. She hates when I say stuff like that. She's good-hearted and all that crap. I didn't do that though. It's a pain to deal with.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:18 AM   #17
HugTheBear

FuzzyDonkeyLegs's Gamercard

Shit happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gheuh2
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
HugTheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:19 AM   #18
Kairi

Kairi x360's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Platinum   Tri-Gamer Tournament - Runner Up   A+ Thread Award   Staff - Moderator   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 1   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Silver   Staff - Guide Team   Achievement Guide - Silver   Road Map - Silver
Quote:
3- I don't know what poison sumac is, but if you remember, that'd be great, if not, my problem is fading away
Poison sumac is kind of like poison ivy, but it's definitely much worse. I remember my mom had it and it spread all over. It got so bad her face actually looked deformed for a while from it D: You could probably ask your doctor about the medicine if you really need it, but as I said I'm not sure if it would work for that. Good to hear the problem is fading away by the way!
Old 07-09-2012, 03:24 AM   #19
DragonsGoMOO

dragonsgomoo's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairi View Post
Poison sumac is kind of like poison ivy, but it's definitely much worse. I remember my mom had it and it spread all over. It got so bad her face actually looked deformed for a while from it D: You could probably ask your doctor about the medicine if you really need it, but as I said I'm not sure if it would work for that. Good to hear the problem is fading away by the way!
That's crazy. I always wash my hands first before I touch my face, no matter what. I already got a certain cream from my doctor though. Said if it didn't look better by Monday at the latest, come back for the pills.

5 more weeks for this job, then it's over. There's a good chance they'll keep me on, so I hope I get a new area to work at where there isn't so much poison oak, tall grasses and stuff.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:28 AM   #20
Kairi

Kairi x360's Gamercard

Quote:
That's crazy. I always wash my hands first before I touch my face, no matter what. I already got a certain cream from my doctor though. Said if it didn't look better by Monday at the latest, come back for the pills.

5 more weeks for this job, then it's over. There's a good chance they'll keep me on, so I hope I get a new area to work at where there isn't so much poison oak, tall grasses and stuff.
Yeah, my mom did too but it turned out she was highly allergic to it so it just spread like crazy :/ I remember she had it for a month or two as well so it was pretty awful x.x The cream should help a lot though!

That's good to hear! Hopefully it goes away soon and you get moved to an area with not a lot of poison oak!
Old 07-09-2012, 06:26 AM   #21
Benny34
Banned User

Scratch it keep scratching it for a bout a minute, it should go away within an hour if you do this
Benny34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #22
scarface

lt jim dangle69's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Referrals - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Eat a bag of cement and harden the fuck up.

Spoiler! (click here to reveal)
scarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:38 PM   #23
MrSpanner

mrspanner's Gamercard
After-sun with lidocaine usually works on any crap like that. Lidocaine is a type of anesthetic that is usually used for sunburn, but works on anything else.

MrSpanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #24
Gackt
Banned User

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Gackt   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Gold   SOTF Winner   GSL 8 Winners   The Helping Hand   Bright Idea   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze   Artist of the Month
Total Awards: 15 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarface View Post
Eat a bag of cement and harden the fuck up.
This ^^
/thread
Gackt is offline   Reply With Quote