PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Fighting > Fight Night Champion
Subscribe    Donate

Old 03-10-2011, 11:16 PM   #1
KFZ Scrubs

KFZ Nobody's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 10,000 posts   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
OWC tips

THIS IS A Work in Progress
Feel free to make suggestions and put some input in

Tips for fighting on OWC in Fight Night Champion

I’ve decided to write some sort of tip guide for people trying to win fights on OWC. I know I’m not an expert on this, but I feel that I’ve gained some experience with my fights online. As of right now I’m 122-22 with 106 KO’s....so I hope that I can actually help some people here.

OWC is a really tricky mode and the achievements you have to get in there for reaching 15,30,45 and 60 are extremely time consuming and difficult. The way that OWC works is that you create your own fighter from scratch at any weight class in the lightweight, middleweight or heavyweight division. Whenever you start your fighter out, they will have low stats and have an overall rating of 78. You can level your fighters attributes in the boxer growth menu and increase boxing power and blocking with the xp you earned. So far, there is a level cap of 220 and you can’t reset your stats without resetting your whole character and losing everything, so choose wisely what you want to upgrade. Figure out what kind of fighter you are first, because fully leveling up an uppercut and only doing it 2-3 times a fight is a waste of points.

XP:
There are numerous ways to earn XP in the game to level up your fighter
OWC- Winning or even losing OWC fight will net you anywhere from 300 to 400 points for winning (depending on quality of opponent) and maybe 100-200 for losing.
EA Store- This is the cheap (unfair) way of gaining xp, fastest and easiest. EA has xp up for sale in the ea store that you can buy to level up your fighter in OWC or legacy mode. If you do buy xp packs, I advice you to not use it on your legacy fighter because people have complained that they’ve lost their points in their fighter. Also, Legacy is so easy with adjusted sliders that you don’t even have to worry about it.
Online gym- You can gain xp points from fighting in an online gym with another person. This is a friendly match and doesn’t affect your OWC or your win-lose record in OWC. This is the safest way to get points, but you don’t earn as much as you would in OWC.

Overall Rating:
The overall rating of the fighter is dictated by the boxer growth skill a person used to increase with their xp and the medals that they have attached to the fighter. Medals can be earned from either.
buying them from the EA store
Completing certain objectives in the game (shown when highlighting the medals)
That’s why you see so many people with 90 ratings, but sometimes they’re horrible. While xp can’t be reassigned after designating them, medals can be taken on and off at any time.

OWC ranking:
There is a maximum 99 levels in OWC that you can rank up too. Leveling up in OWC is extremely time consuming depending of the quality of opponents that you take on. You could beat 100 people with an overall of 78, but the amount of skill points you earn will be very low. Also, losing will take away skill points from you, the amount depending on the skill level of the fighter who beat you. While your overall OWC level won’t go down from losing points, the amount needed to advance to the next level will become greater because you need to earn back those points that you lost.

For instance, losing to a person of equal level than you will result in a loss of a moderate amount of points, but losing to someone a lot lower than you could lead up to a 100 skill points lost (personal experience). I’d say when fighting, don’t take on anybody higher than 3 level than you until you’re fighter is at a 86-87 overall rating. That way, even if you’re a lower overall rating, you can still win on skill no matter how hard they throw.

Fighting Online tips:

Online is incredibly cheap with overpowered people spamming power shots to the body and head and people cherry picking their fights to insure that they win. The best and smartest thing to do when starting off at a low overall rating is to watch out who your fight... in a way, cherry pick. You don’t want to go against someone who’s a higher overall rating than you because even if you’re a better fighter, they have a higher possibility to knock you down/out. Get a feel for fighting other people online and gain some xp to increase your stats.

Fighting at a distance:
Utilize your jab, fighting at a distance is sometimes one of the best tools for fighting online because of all the Power punchers there are out there. If you’re completely outmatched and can’t seem to get off a counter punch, the outside game is your best option. Frustrate them, make them come to you, they’ll get more aggressive as time goes by and they’ll be playing into your hand. Only go in when they’ve missed on their punch, jab them in the body and head and move back out. Staying in too long will sometimes result in you either taking too much damage and getting knockdowned or flash knocked out. Let them come to you, there’s no reason to rush into a losing battle, stay back and let them get hit. Over time they’ll wear down with enough body and head shots that they’ll get stunned and you can go in for the knockdown.

Inside game:
This is a very dangerous game, trading punches in the inside can usually lead to one of the two people getting knocked down or out. If you resort to this, use your counter punches effectively and hit them after they miss with a wide hook or whenever they’re open. Always have your block and be weaving around. You don’t want to get hit off guard, that will deal more damage than needed. I don’t suggest this unless you’re absolutely sure you can win (I.E fighting against a really low level who can’t make as much damage and can take a lot from your punches.)

Power shots aren’t everything:
While throwing a bunch of powershots at a low level fighter will work sometimes, it won’t work on a high level fighter. They’re going to be just as strong as you are and can probably take as many punches as you can. Don’t throw a lot during a fight unless you have to, it’s a wast of stamina unless you hit. Throw them after an opponent misses on a wide punch or counter punch with it. Power jabs and straights can be used effectively to jab an unsuspecting opponent from a distance.

Working the body:
Going for the head is always good, but going for the body will lower their stamina and eventually wear down the other fighter. If you work with combinations to the body and head, the other fighter will eventually begin to tire down in the later rounds. Usually I can get my first knock down in the 6th or 7th round. After that, knockdowns become a lot easier because of the damage they’ve sustained over the fight and their stamina is lowered from the body shots. Remember, hitting the body will lower your opponents stamina and eventually wear them down for the later rounds.

Last edited by KFZ Scrubs; 03-14-2011 at 04:17 PM.
KFZ Scrubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:17 PM   #2
KFZ Scrubs

KFZ Nobody's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 10,000 posts   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze
Fighting somebody who doesn’t move:
These people are most likely defensive fighters and they’re waiting for you to advance towards them so that you’ll make a mistake and they can take over by landing some body shots and combinations to score some points on the judge’s cards. To combat this, play smart basically. Constantly be backing in and out, throwing some jabs to get a reaction out of them. When they come for you because of that, move in and quickly get some shots in and move out. If you feel comfortable going toe-to-toe with them feel free to, just watch out for the counter punch and always lean back after throwing some blows. If this doesn’t work, play their game and wait for them. They’ll eventually move because they know they have to get some shots in to score. If nothing happens while both of you sit back, just throw some punches at them and hope they land.

Movement
This is good to use in a fight, staying in one place and becoming a human target for your opponent is never good. Always be moving around the ring, don't stand still for your opponent. What I do is I always move around, wait for my opponent to throw some punches, then strike him while he's reeling back his hands from the punches. That'll usually score a 3-4 hit combination since they'll be defenseless. Also, what you learned in championship mode with the Left stick on the heavy bag is very helpful. If you double tap the left stick up or down, your fighter will slide in that direction. If done at the right time, they can avoid a jab/ straight or even an opposite hook and move in on an open head or body. Use this when avoiding their punches and moving in or even attacking. Sometimes, hitting them from a different angle will help you land a punch for some points. Also, a good way to avoid punches and move in for your own is the half turn of the Left stick (the other movement they teach you on the heavy bag combo mini-game). This helps a lot when moving in because you dodge any incoming blows from your opponent and that leaves your opponent open for some serious damage from some hooks or uppercuts.

Movement vs Movement
Fighting another fighter who utilizes movement during a match can be tricky sometimes. They'll feed off of your mistakes, move in like I stated earlier when you miss shots and move back when needed. The best way to play this is to be smart and be patient. Always keep your guard up and throw dummy punches to lure them in. Throw a straight while you're moderately close to them and sometimes it will entice them to throw punches while not close to you, leaving them open. Move in, make your move and move back out ( unless you're good at inside fighting. Then I'd suggest staying in as long as possible to do as much damage as you can before they move out. If they're moving out, don't follow them, because they'll use their jab to hit you on the head while you're moving back, constantly putting you out of hitting range and you'll take more damage than needed). They'll most likely be side stepping to get hits in on you, side step with them to keep up with them. And if they're ducking and weaving with the left stick half turn, do that along with them or move back because most likely when they finish with their bob and weave, they'll throw punches. If you time it right, you can score some points without being hit

Going 10 rounds:
Don’t always go into a fight trying to get a knockout win, this will usually lead to you trying to go and trade punches with another skilled opponent and might get you knocked down. If you’re going against a high level opponent, utilize the jab and distance. Always be backing up and strike when they’re throwing shots and missing or when their guard is down. Use the point cards as a reference every 4th and 8th round to know were you stand.
If you’re behind significantly on Teddy’s score card, then it’s time for you to get more aggressive. Start going inside more and risking taking shots to land your own.
If you’re very closely behind (by one or two points), don’t panic. You can still win the fight by keeping distance your last two rounds and attacking when they’re open. Don’t let them push you into a corner, because that’s when they’ll get desperate and start throwing power hooks at you. If this happens, constantly be moving and weaving to avoid taking maximum damage from them. As soon as you get distance, throw some jabs to the body to slow them down and move back.
Now, if you’re ahead of them by a large margin, keep doing what you’ve been doing the whole fight while maintaining your distance. You don’t want to give them a chance to score a flash knockout or a TKO if you’re injured. Don’t approach them, always try to stay away and keep moving. Throw some body shot combinations to slow them down and maybe score a knockdown in the later rounds

Cuts over Eyes:
I find this to be extremely irritating. I get a cut over my eye every 2-3 fights, some even stemming from the very early rounds. The key here is not to panic and use your outside game to your advantage. The opponent will likely try and gun for your cut eye the rest of the fight, when they move in land some body shots and throw some jabs to the face. Immediately after you do so, lean back to avoid them hitting you in the face and make the cut worse. Avoid damage for a couple of rounds so your cut man can try and heal the cut over your eye. If you’re ahead of the point cards, use a round or two as a breather. Stay back, punch only when needed and you should recover when the round ends.
If the cut is over your opponents eye, don’t go crazy for it. I wouldn’t advice going all out on their cut eye for the ref TKO unless they can’t block, dodge or counter punch . If they can’t do any of that (from what you learned from the fight with them) then I suggest you concentrate on that area. If not, then throw a couple of jabs to the body to have them block low and then suprise them with a 1-2 combinate to the head. Overtime this will deal more and more damage to the head and if you keep this up they’ll eventually fall to a TKO in the later rounds.

Being stunned:
This is when your stamina and health bar turn red and your fighter slows down considerably. Always keep your block up, that way you’ll have a chance of making it out of their flurry of punches without getting knocked down. Always be backing up or moving away from them,
they’ll likely be throwing punches at you and if they miss, distance will be created between the two of you. If you can, clinch your opponent, that will buy you time to recover from being stunned. I recommend this only if you know how to do it properly. I can’t do it properly and if you miss it will usually lead to you being knocked down.
Now, this method right here is extremely cheap and highly controversial, but i’ve observed this in my many online fights. Head butting an opponent when stunned will cause the ref to stop the fight and deduct a points from you. You won’t be stunned anymore and will still have a chance to win the round (tie the round 9-9 because of a point loss) as opposed to getting knocked down and have the round scored 10-8 in the opponents favor.

Last edited by KFZ Scrubs; 03-14-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:17 PM   #3
KFZ Scrubs

KFZ Nobody's Gamercard

Just in case more space is needed

Old 03-11-2011, 08:22 AM   #4
RockWhore

DannyRock's Gamercard
Thanks for tips, I will be sure to keep these in mind when fighting online!
RockWhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
billysidol

This helped a lot thanks.

Though I would get owned online, but so far so good. It helps to play Legacy on a harder difficulty and without adjusting sliders

27/9/08: 1st Year
Country Rank: 441
Completed Retail: 13

billysidol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:31 PM   #6
Delboy

x Nadzy X's Gamercard
I found this helped me out massively. OK, if you know side step then I'd advise you to do it. Those of you who don't just flick, and I mean flick your left analog stick up or down and your boxer should step to the side. I keep spamming this but when I get it right, then opponent fails in punching me and I just hook them and then then screen flashes due to the fact that the opponent didn't have his guard up or anything.

Completed Retail Games (3)
Fifa 11, Fable II GOTY, Pro Evolution Soccer 2011

Completed Arcade Games (5)
Harm's Way, Deadrising Case: Zero, Aegis Wing, Xbox Live Labs, Dash of Destruction.
Delboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:48 PM   #7
NE football

Can't stand owc I wish we could just level up with reg boxers as in wins loses....that would be a lot more fun
Old 03-11-2011, 08:02 PM   #8
Delboy

x Nadzy X's Gamercard
The worst thing is you work your arse off to win...you get the win, yay! Then you lose. So your OWC level goes back down.

Harm's Way, Deadrising Case: Zero, Aegis Wing, Xbox Live Labs, Dash of Destruction.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:09 PM   #9
Takamura Bear

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I haven't even touched OWC yet and I don't think I ever will. It just seems impossible to level up from the sound of things, plus you lose points when you lose? Damn.

I don't mind the normal ranked matches, but EA fucked up with the OWC big time.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:11 AM   #10
billysidol

I have a question about the OWC ranking.

Does anyone know the points required to reach level 65 yet?

Does it work as a points total? What I mean is that when I check the leader boards people on top have like 4000 points and are on like level 50. I know you can't lose levels but you can lose points. Are they 4000 points towards 51? Or is this their total points.

It's a bit confusing because I know level 2 is 600 points so this doesn't make much sense as 4000 is not that much more than 600.

So pretty much what I want to know is, when you reach a new level are your points banked? Or do you reach say level 3 at 800 points and you need to keep these 800 points and work towards level 4 from 800 to say 1000 (or whatever the points required are)?

27/9/08: 1st Year
Country Rank: 441
Completed Retail: 13

billysidol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:00 PM   #11
KFZ Scrubs

KFZ Nobody's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysidol View Post

So pretty much what I want to know is, when you reach a new level are your points banked? Or do you reach say level 3 at 800 points and you need to keep these 800 points and work towards level 4 from 800 to say 1000 (or whatever the points required are)?
Pretty much that. I've hit 35 and lost several times, so it took me even longer to reach 36. Basically you're gonna want to win a lot and minimize your losses as much as possible, especially against lower level fighters.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:53 AM   #12
RockWhore

DannyRock's Gamercard
Scrubs, do you have any advice for building your boxer? As in what did you upgrade first.
Did you try to fully upgrade one particular punch or spread it out amongst them evenly - what did you find to be best? From your previous posts I assume you fight on the outside so would guess you might have gone for the jab and straight first?

I'd hate to waste those precious points on something useless!
Old 03-14-2011, 12:35 PM   #13
KFZ Scrubs

KFZ Nobody's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWhore View Post
Scrubs, do you have any advice for building your boxer? As in what did you upgrade first.
Did you try to fully upgrade one particular punch or spread it out amongst them evenly - what did you find to be best? From your previous posts I assume you fight on the outside so would guess you might have gone for the jab and straight first?

I'd hate to waste those precious points on something useless!
I actually wasted my points in the beginning of creating my boxer, that's why i'm putting a lot of emphasis on using points now, lol. Right now, my hooks and uppercuts are maxed out (even though I don't throw as many upper cuts in a fight and only throw hooks when i'm inside, which isn't long, and when I know they're tired). My jab's aren't rated that high, just my jab to the head that's about halfway... the rest of my jabs and straights are pretty low, like 4-5 blocks filled out. Also, I have my Chin maxed out (since everybody goes for head most the time) and about 75 of my heart filled out in case they go to the body. Next I tried to fill out my combinations (so I can throw some in when they miss or when I go in) and blocking (I usually have my guard up, and for when I'm put against the ropes).
If you fight on the outside like I do now, I'd suggest filling out some Jabs and straights, not necessarily all the way, but don't make the same mistake like I did and have it really low. I'm pretty sure if i didn't auto-upgrade my fighter in the start then he'd be a better fighter and I'd be knocking them down in the 4th and 5th rather than the 7th,8th or 9th rounds.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:10 PM   #14
RockWhore

DannyRock's Gamercard
Well, the first boxer I made for HW was designed for inside fighting but after a few fights I found that I'm not too keen on that playstyle so made a MW to fight on the outside - that is much more appealing to me and managed to win my first few fights so might scrap the HW I made and do a fresh one.

This does beg another question though.
You know when you are creating your boxer, you have various options like the block/punch style...have you tried any of the different styles and found much difference? I seem to remember there is a section (forget the name) where you have loads of options available, Inside/Outside/Counter puncher/sniper/wild etc...do you know exactly how this affects performance? Goggling for it hasn't really yielded much good info on that.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:13 PM   #15
KFZ Scrubs

KFZ Nobody's Gamercard

Quote:
Well, the first boxer I made for HW was designed for inside fighting but after a few fights I found that I'm not too keen on that playstyle so made a MW to fight on the outside - that is much more appealing to me and managed to win my first few fights so might scrap the HW I made and do a fresh one.

This does beg another question though.
You know when you are creating your boxer, you have various options like the block/punch style...have you tried any of the different styles and found much difference? I seem to remember there is a section (forget the name) where you have loads of options available, Inside/Outside/Counter puncher/sniper/wild etc...do you know exactly how this affects performance? Goggling for it hasn't really yielded much good info on that.
I haven't really found much difference for me when I changed styles. I first changed it from crazy to slick.... still won fights the same way (I keep my block up most the time anyways) and then slick to sniper (for when I try to lure). It all seems the same to me... not much difference in my opinion.
Also... Heavyweight is a tricky class IMO... you have those damn giants that look like fucking Valuev and they have monster reach.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:52 PM   #16
Delboy

x Nadzy X's Gamercard
To be honest I'm rocking this! Rank 3, KO'ed 10, won 12, lost 11.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:35 PM   #17
KFZ Scrubs

KFZ Nobody's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
To be honest I'm rocking this! Rank 3, KO'ed 10, won 12, lost 11.
Awesome, just keep that win streak up and pile on those points... OWC can be a bitch, but it's good since you can still play lower level people and still get a good amount of points. If I do i get like 2... even if they're like 90 rated.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:24 PM   #18
Scotsman Elite
Packin' Heat

Tactical Maximo's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Thanks for making this KFZ Scrubs, appreciate the effort. Hopefully it'll help me out and give me a bit of an advantage over some fighters, since I'm not the greatest at this game, but it's bloody enjoyable! Just about to kick off some OWC.

Thanks Mr Bungle
TDU2 x360a Club (Level 3) | TDU2 Achievement Guide
Support
Need help or a question answered on the following games? I'm here to help

- Operation Flashpoint: Red River
- Test Drive Unlimited 2

Scotsman Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:19 PM   #19
dnm13

Cheers

Thanks for the tips. Have struggled like hell so far but am hope to improve from here with the guidance. It's also good to know that other people struggle to find someone at the right level to take on!
dnm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:41 PM   #20
RockWhore

DannyRock's Gamercard
I played one last night and we both knocked each other down twice, I got a 3rd one in and won the match and it popped up with something like "This match has been recorded as an ESPN Classic Fight" - anyone know the deal with this?

Also, right now I seem to be stuck at a measly Rank 3. I can win one or two then lose one and all my points are gone. This could take a while to rank up! >_<
Old 03-16-2011, 03:43 PM   #21
KFZ Scrubs

KFZ Nobody's Gamercard

Quote:
I played one last night and we both knocked each other down twice, I got a 3rd one in and won the match and it popped up with something like "This match has been recorded as an ESPN Classic Fight" - anyone know the deal with this?

Also, right now I seem to be stuck at a measly Rank 3. I can win one or two then lose one and all my points are gone. This could take a while to rank up! >_<
Ohhh yea that, I guess when the game considers you having a close win or a spectacular performance it saves it in the game highlights with the scorecard and stats. Nothing really much, also judges it on it's greatness.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:02 PM   #22
Delboy

x Nadzy X's Gamercard
Quote:

Happened to me a load of times! Also just fight someone who is shorter or same heigh as you, lower overall than yours and their reach is shorter than yours and you will win.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:59 AM   #23
KFZ Scrubs

KFZ Nobody's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
Happened to me a load of times! Also just fight someone who is shorter or same heigh as you, lower overall than yours and their reach is shorter than yours and you will win.
I noticed that reach just doesn't matter at times. I've had a couple of fights where I fought people with mid 70 reaches (like 76,77) and they were still able to hit me as I was moving back... that's pretty insane, they weren't moving forward either.
Also, has anybody run into people who somehow trap you after throwing a jab at their guard and you freeze for like a second, leaving you wide open? This is starting to frustrate me...

Old 03-22-2011, 04:45 AM   #24
Phunky

I'll never get to level 15 let alone 65, I'm still going for the play 100 ranked matches online though and the 15% no rage quit one. My record is something crap like 5-14-0 I can't remember. At least half of those losses were just from flash ko's though when the fight wasn't actually going that bad at all and then you get randomly knocked out which sucks. But most of all I just can't get the hang of the countering and everyone I play just seems to counter almost everything, I've read posts everywhere and watched videos, I don't know if I should keep block held down and throw a punch when I block or do I have to time a quick press of the block with the punch, I'm still having fun with it though. I managed to get a stoppage after I cut someones face open badly, both his eyes and his nose were gone lol

The whole level 65 thing just seems impossible though and too time consuming, I haven't even moved from level 1 yet, it would take me years. I'll be happy enough with 700 or so points like the last game.

I've read online though that the games buggy and full of glitch exploits where people are body spamming or something and it kills the stamina bar after a few shots and also a freezing glitch like said above.

But there's supposed to be a patch coming in a few days that fixes about 8 things so maybe then I'll be able to beat some people, even the 35k of xp I bought hasn't really helped much yet cuz I spent a lot of it on offense just to try and have a chance of beating someone, I'm building up the heart and chin a bit more now though.

Last edited by Phunky; 03-22-2011 at 04:52 AM.
Phunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:20 AM   #25
veyenoord

veyenoord's Gamercard
Thanks for all your tips. it will definitely help me to become a bttr boxer
veyenoord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:40 AM   #26
KFZ Scrubs

KFZ Nobody's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyenoord View Post
Thanks for all your tips. it will definitely help me to become a bttr boxer
Your welcome... I'm actually thinking of picking this game up again

Old 01-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #27
chrisk62

QPRs No1 Fan's Gamercard
well i'm following your tips but i get a feeling they are not working for me because so far my OWC record is WON -0, LOST -24. Hahaha !!!

I dare say that this will be the first game ive played that i won't be getting 100% achievements for, lol.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #28
darkjant

darkjant's Gamercard
the key is to be smart

this game is about outplaying the opponent
avoid getting hit and keep the stamina
counterpunching is the key
darkjant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:53 AM   #29
KFZ Scrubs

KFZ Nobody's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkjant View Post
this game is about outplaying the opponent
avoid getting hit and keep the stamina
counterpunching is the key
I wish, online... it's all about exploits and having more MSP than the other guy