Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Discussion Boards > Xbox 360
Subscribe    Donate

Old 09-09-2012, 10:04 PM   #1
Jordun

JORDY B 123's Gamercard
MMORPG for xbox?

How good would it be if a as it says in the title an 'mmorpg' came to xbox. Most of you will probably think it as a terrible idea but i think it would be pretty awesome. A game like runescape or something similar like WoW would be pretty cool. I don't see why they shouldn't, if jagex teamed up with microsoft they'd make a heap load more $$$

i dunno i was just thinking earlier how cool it would be to do that, a free roaming social network site where you do whatever haha
Jordun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #2
Tsaako

tsaako's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Jagex are terrible. Besides, I wouldn't be against an MMORPG on the xbox.
Tsaako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:26 PM   #3
Achievemental

VoxCalibre's Gamercard
Final Fantasy 11 *cough*

Add me on Live if ya feel like it. I'll accept.

Currently working on: The larger tourneys in Borderlands
Achievemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #4
Shiftie

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Road Map - Diamond   Green Thumb - Bronze   Micro Guide - Platinum   Submit - Silver   Achievement Guide - Emerald   Staff Club - Shiftie   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achievemental View Post
Final Fantasy 11 *cough*
Always overlooked. So Sad. Is Phantasy Star still around? Think that was an mmo too. I played lots of FFXI (Ps2, PC and PC )but no PS.

edit: nvm, PS online servers went down two days ago lol..
Shiftie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:33 PM   #5
Achievemental

VoxCalibre's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftie View Post
Always overlooked. So Sad. Is Phantasy Star still around? Think that was an mmo too. I played lots of FFXI (Ps2, PC and PC )but no PS.

edit: nvm, PS online servers went down when the second one launched apparently.
I think it gets overlooked because it was a) pay to play and b) wasn't great but had a lot of potential.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #6
Shiftie

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Road Map - Diamond   Green Thumb - Bronze   Micro Guide - Platinum   Submit - Silver   Achievement Guide - Emerald   Staff Club - Shiftie   Donator - Level 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achievemental View Post
I think it gets overlooked because it was a) pay to play and b) wasn't great but had a lot of potential.
I loved it but that's just me lol. I can definitely see why it wasn't popular considering it actually involved work, unlike WoW and what not. But oh well.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:40 PM   #7
Achievemental

VoxCalibre's Gamercard
Quote:
I loved it but that's just me lol. I can definitely see why it wasn't popular considering it actually involved work, unlike WoW and what not. But oh well.
The achievements on it were hellish. I never got into it, I got about as far as the whole....play network or whatever its called n sub thing and the code on mine (despite it being new) didn't work. I would've at least liked to give it a try.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:41 PM   #8
sleepydumbdude

sleepydumbdude's Gamercard

Probably get a free to play one eventually. I always forget about FFXI but Phantasy Star I wouldn't even count as a MMO. If you play pretty much any mmo then play that then you would feel ripped off for paying to play it.
sleepydumbdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:48 PM   #9
Shiftie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydumbdude View Post
Probably get a free to play one eventually. I always forget about FFXI but Phantasy Star I wouldn't even count as a MMO. If you play pretty much any mmo then play that then you would feel ripped off for paying to play it.
Yea I think It's only a matter of time before F2P games start coming to consoles. Maybe not 360, but maybe the next console. I think PS3 has DC Universe which is f2p now.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:50 PM   #10
The Pants Party
You're Not Invited

Za Pantsupati's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Diamond   Staff - Super Moderator   Micro Guide - Platinum   15,000 Posts   Staff Club - Never Final   Staff Club - Minty   Staff Club - Shiftie   Staff Club - The Pants Party   Staff Club - AOS Puck   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Gold   Referrals - Gold
Total Awards: 20 (more» ...)
Quote:
Yea I think It's only a matter of time before F2P games start coming to consoles. Maybe not 360, but maybe the next console.
This, this and this are all confirmed to be F2P.

I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
The Pants Party is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:54 PM   #11
Shiftie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pants Party View Post
This, this and this are all confirmed to be F2P.
Bah! I forgot about Happy Wars! Didn't know about the other 2 though.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:55 PM   #12
KillerBEA
CET

Send a message via Skype™ to KillerBEA

KillerBEA XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 2   Staff Club - Madhatters13   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff - Community and Events Team   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 2   Community Gaming - Gold   Fight Club Challenge Club - Tier 1   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - KillerBEA   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 1
Total Awards: 28 (more» ...)
Quote:
Yea I think It's only a matter of time before F2P games start coming to consoles. Maybe not 360, but maybe the next console. I think PS3 has DC Universe which is f2p now.
Its free to play but you have to pay to be able to unlock trophies. (If I remember correctly)
KillerBEA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:42 AM   #13
Kairi
Guide and Award Staff

Send a message via Skype™ to Kairi

Kairi x360's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Gold   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 1   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Silver   Staff - Guide Team   Achievement Guide - Silver   Road Map - Silver   CABS Beta Tester   Green Thumb - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze
Total Awards: 21 (more» ...)
I don't think MMORPGs would do very well on consoles because of having to pay to play. It would be interesting, but paying for the subscription will probably be why many people won't play them if more come to consoles.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:12 AM   #14
Neme6ben

neme6ben's Gamercard
having played wow, lotr online and others mmo, I don't think an mmo on the 360 would be good!
Neme6ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:11 AM   #15
Tsaako

tsaako's Gamercard

Quote:

edit: nvm, PS online servers went down two days ago lol..
Yes but not Phantasy Star Universe, they recently closed the servers for online play I believe, theres still some Phantasy Star games and servers for PC though.
Tsaako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:25 AM   #16
OceanH

Ocean H's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Bronze   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairi View Post
I don't think MMORPGs would do very well on consoles because of having to pay to play. It would be interesting, but paying for the subscription will probably be why many people won't play them if more come to consoles.
It totally sucks having to pay for Gold membership AND pay for monthly MMORPG subscription. Anyway, FFXIV is about to be released for PS3.
OceanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:34 AM   #17
sleepydumbdude

I've played damn near 100 hours on DCU (according to raptr) on ps3 without paying a dime.I like it because it is controller friendly. Next time the expansions (or whatever they are called on this) go on sale I will probably finally put some money into it for just the expansions since my friends just started playing.
The main thing I hate about paying monthly for a game is that I get bored very quickly. I just got all the WOW and all the expansions when they were on sale in July or so. I played for about 10 days and got to level 28 and got bored and was ready to play something else. Really wish some of the pay rpgs would have other tiers other than 15 for unlimited for a month. I'd actually pay for actual game time if it was an option other than a monthly subscription.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:05 AM   #18
KFZ Scrubs

KFZ Nobody's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 10,000 posts   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydumbdude View Post
I've played damn near 100 hours on DCU (according to raptr) on ps3 without paying a dime.I like it because it is controller friendly. Next time the expansions (or whatever they are called on this) go on sale I will probably finally put some money into it for just the expansions since my friends just started playing.
The main thing I hate about paying monthly for a game is that I get bored very quickly. I just got all the WOW and all the expansions when they were on sale in July or so. I played for about 10 days and got to level 28 and got bored and was ready to play something else. Really wish some of the pay rpgs would have other tiers other than 15 for unlimited for a month. I'd actually pay for actual game time if it was an option other than a monthly subscription.
I've been trying to get into DCU (haven't downloaded it yet) but I can't wait to try it out. Just waiting for the dorm to register my ps3 for online

KFZ Scrubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:20 AM   #19
FFFreak1129

FFFreak1129's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairi View Post
Thats one of the reasons I never got into Final Fantasy XI. If we payed for Gold and didn't have to pay extra would have been fine but that didn't happen.
FFFreak1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:25 AM   #20
EMP

MaGiC MaN TJ's Gamercard

Day Z would be fun on Xbox lol idk if it is a Mmo but it would be funny as hell.

→The Xbox One is freakin Awesome ←
All generalizations are false, including this one.
~ Xbox One | Day One ~
EMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:33 AM   #21
sleepydumbdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFZ Scrubs View Post
I've been trying to get into DCU (haven't downloaded it yet) but I can't wait to try it out. Just waiting for the dorm to register my ps3 for online
It is much more fun when you have someone to play with I played about 10 hours on my own which I was having fun but some boss battle and a few areas were frustrating on my own and I'd quit playing for awhile. I finally talked some friend into it and I met some from with the game and it made it a much better experience. The game is pretty easy starting out. I didn't even know what happened when you died until I was about 15 hours in.

BTW if you want someone to play dcu with sleepydumbdude is my psn.

Last edited by sleepydumbdude; 09-13-2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:52 AM   #22
AngryBearTony

AngryBearTony's Gamercard
I probably put close on a 1000+ hours into FFXI on my PS2, but never bought the 360 version. However, any mass appeal for a 360 MMO would depend on the game (same as it is with any PC MMO). If WoW came to the 360, I imagine lots of people would buy it. The problem is always going to be servers, functionality (PC will always have great controls, tools, hotkeys, etc.), and graphics (yes, this would only be a problem for some people, but realistically any PC player will find their game better looking). As mentioned for the 360 players, the cost of Gold plus whatever subscription costs are involved could be a factor.

For me, depending on price of the subscription and how user and player friendly a game is will be my determining factors. If I can pick up and play without sitting around some town waiting for a full party, I'll be more interested in playing a MMO on my console.

AngryBearTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:01 AM   #23
CHIRUNO99

chiruno99's Gamercard

We did have an MMORPG, Phantasy Star Universe, which recently had it's servers closed. Also Happy Wars and the other two as said by The Pants Party. I also imagine because PSU was popular we might end up seeing another Phantasy Star MMO.

With F2P games coming to the Xbox the chances are we'll be seeing a lot of them coming, hopefully if it works out as I expect stuff like Rusty Hearts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordun View Post
A game like runescape or something similar like WoW would be pretty cool.

Damn I'm so depressed.
CHIRUNO99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:29 AM   #24
Report Fast

Report Fast's Gamercard
I use to run runescape, but on the xbox ehhhh

Retail 100% (47)
Arcade 100% (19)
67% Completion Ratio

as of 1/22/2013
Report Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:22 AM   #25
TacticalTodger
Banned User

Send a message via MSN to TacticalTodger Send a message via Skype™ to TacticalTodger

SAUSAGE R0LLS's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
As a Runescape player, I can honesty say no, I never want it on a console, whenever something goes on console it's just open to hackers and modders...
TacticalTodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #26
Kairi
Guide and Award Staff

Send a message via Skype™ to Kairi

Kairi x360's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Gold   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 1   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Silver   Staff - Guide Team   Achievement Guide - Silver   Road Map - Silver   CABS Beta Tester   Green Thumb - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze
Total Awards: 21 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFFreak1129 View Post
Thats one of the reasons I never got into Final Fantasy XI. If we payed for Gold and didn't have to pay extra would have been fine but that didn't happen.
That is why I never got Final Fantasy XI as well and didn't play the online part of Phantasy Star Universe either. I would have tried both out if you didn't have to pay $15 or so every month, but I really did not want to pay so much for one game when I'm already paying for Gold.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:01 PM   #27
Mister Spraggsy

Spraggsy's Gamercard
I wouldn't mind an MMORPG but I will never pay extra money on top of my gold subscription.

For games like Minecraft and more please visit and subscribe to my Youtube.
www.youtube.com/SpraggsyHD

Last Gen Reflection
Favourite Game: Fallout 3
Favourite Series: Mass Effect
Favourite Multiplayer: Gears of War 2
Mister Spraggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #28
CyberPunch83

CyberPunch83's Gamercard

An MMORPG is certainly an interesting idea, and one that has not really been tried on a console before. I would be up for trying one, however they cannot charge anything extra beyond buying the game itself, Microsoft gets enough of my money for Gold subscriptions and MSP cards. The last thing I need is to spend money just to play one game. If that hurdle can be overcome, the MMORPG idea might have a chance of taking off.

50k achieved 10/10/2011
100k achieved 7/3/2014
Achievement: Wheelie God (20G) - Ride to Hell: Retribution

GTA Online Rank (6/20/2014) 91

Games 100%: 83
Latest: Star Trek

Working on:
World of Tanks (465/500)
GTA V (890/1000)
LEGO Marvel (650/1000)
CyberPunch83 is offline   Reply With Quote