PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Adventure > Alan Wake's American Nightmare
Subscribe    Donate

Old 09-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
Fire Hawk D

Fire Hawk GYJS's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Gold   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Silver   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
What I did for [Poetry in Motion]

Stage: Nightmare Ghost Town

Order of Actions:
1) Grab the flare in front of you as you begin to the left.
2) Kill three of the five taken that have spawned. The other two can be kept at bay by just flashing them with your flashlight now and then. If you really need to, either have them chase you around a building to get some distance or use a flare (this strategy will have one extra flare, anyway).
3) Behind the building where the flare was is a Sawed-Off Shotgun. Grab it and the flare gun ammo back there.
4) Go out and grab the flare near the structure in the center of town.
5) Open the ammo box nearby (just open for now) and the Flare Gun next to it.
6) From the flare gun, go down the alley and out and past the trees is a Hunting Rifle and two flares.

Now that I had all my gear, I want to burn time until the clock reaches around 5:00 (which, if done quickly, should be about 2-3 minutes away). What I do is just circle the building with the ammo box, walking at a normal pace and letting the two Taken still alive come at me so I can dodge. While walking, it's easier than usual, so if you have any skill at all you should be able to dodge them as you see them run up behind you and slow down to take the swing. By 5:00, you should also have a x9 multiplier going from dodging.

7) Around 5:00, grab the ammo from the ammo box (or, whenever during your circling) and move to the stairs in the alley from before (near where you got the flare gun) and park yourself about halfway up.
8) Start blasting Taken as they come. If you lose your x9 multiplier while the Taken are coming one-by-one, let them approach and dodge once to pump it back up before blasting them away. I'd also use the Hunting Rifle to start so you can hit them at a distance, making the killing go quicker to keep that multiplier up until they start clogging the stairway.
9) If you need to re-supply (which, even being a deadeye, you'll need to at least once) just pop as many flares as needed to get around the building, fill up, and get back to the stairs.

Now, your biggest concern is going to be the Grenadiers. Bad luck, they toss a grenade close enough to the stairway or below it and it hits you. Good luck, you never even see a grenade (which, on my achievement run, I didn't). If your luck falls somewhere in-between, the grenades will land on the stairs but roll down to the mob below, leaving you safe. The explosion will wipe out any nearby Taken and this counts as you doing so, increasing your score and multiplier. Also, I only saw one giant Taken during my run, but he got evaporated by the sun before he caused too much trouble.

Using this strategy, I was able to achieve a 10:00 survivor chain and 133700 final score after a couple runs. Just thought I'd let people know if they don't like the Taken surprising them so often from running and gunning. =D

Credit goes to Mental Jay from TrueAchievements. This is mostly his strategy he posted for [Survivor]. I liked it so I used it for [Poetry in Motion].

Last edited by Fire Hawk D; 10-06-2012 at 02:28 AM.
Fire Hawk D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:36 PM   #2
trecena

trecena's Gamercard
I am going to try this. Thanks!
trecena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:49 PM   #3
trecena

trecena's Gamercard
got it

Whoa just got it first try. Rank 318 worldwide, not too bad eh

Thanks for sharing the tips Fire Hawk D.
trecena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:16 AM   #4
Fire Hawk D

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Gold   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Silver   1,000 Posts
You're quite welcome. =D
Old 09-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #5
Doc Lolly

doctor lollypop's Gamercard
i just did it on this map nice tips but i actually got this using the grenadier against them. i ran out of ammo but i while standing in the middle of the stairs closes to the wall i noticed that the grenadiers shots actually rolled down the steps killing the taken for me so all i had to do was flash light the taken and let the grenadier kill them for me =D

going kerouac on everybody's ass for 21 years
Doc Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:22 AM   #6
Fire Hawk D

Yep. I had mentioned that in my guide. =D
Old 09-18-2012, 06:17 AM   #7
rickr304

rickr304's Gamercard
Took me a couple hours to get it juuuuuust right, but finally got my achievement using this guide.

Thanks for posting it.

Ended up rank 90th worldwide. Neat.
rickr304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:26 PM   #8
InvalidAddress

SarcasticRobot's Gamercard
Just wanted to say thanks, this helped tremendously.
InvalidAddress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:48 PM   #9
Silicon Iceman

Silicon Iceman's Gamercard
Fire Hawk;

I tried to do what you recommended a few times, but I kept getting hit. It was either those bastard grenadiers when I was parked half-way up the stairs or when I went for the ammo box after exhausting all of my bullets. Even after using a flare (or two) at the ammo box, the grenades always seem to be aimed at me with sniper-like accuracy. If not them, it was some random Taken around the corner ready to dissect me with a sickle. So either I suck or am incredibly unlucky (or both).

I eventually gave up and did it on oil field (normal) camping (and cowering) in the northwest corner of the map (from the starting point). I think that was a lot easier because not only do you have some breathing room in between waves, but you also have a great line of sight from where the taken come from and are able to spot the grenadiers from a mile away. Keeping the safe light from the lamp post on your right means that the taken can only come from two directions, but they rarely come from the left side. The left side is usually reserved for a quick get-away if necessary. Also, if the grenadiers start tossing crap at you, the big silo thing in front of you provides great cover and ample room to dodge, which is not something I could do in Ghost Town.

I went around collecting supplies (magnum & combat shotgun) and dodging taken to get my multiplier up until about 7:30 left. After that, I killed the last guy, went to the ammo box and went to my spot, killing anything along the way. Here is the video I followed:

I think an important element to getting "Poetry In Motion" that is rarely discussed is the timing of the last wave. Too many times I've ended the arcade session at 97,000 or 98,000 points because (on normal) it takes about 10 seconds for the taken to spawn between waves and I didn't have enough left alive to really boost up my score over the 100,000 threshold.

People going for this achievement really need to understand that if they are doing it on normal, they have to either slow down or speed up their second-to-last wave so that you end the wave with anywhere from 15 to 30 seconds left. This takes a bit of strategic time management.

On one run, I was at my last wave, but I had about 45 seconds left. It was not enough time to kill everybody and start a new wave, so I panicked and used up all my flares and flashbangs and they still kept coming. I even got desperate enough to use the light source to buy a few more seconds, but they were cornering me pretty hard and ultimately, I got hit at the five second mark. I think that ranks as #4 on my all-time most volcanic gaming rages I've ever thrown. I wouldn't want anyone to go through that.

-M
Silicon Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #10
Hoschi Hawkes

Hoschi Hawkes's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Unhappy I dont get it...

I dont know how one could ever do this achievement.
I had some 9:59 streaks without any hit and killed all taken as fast as possible and everytime i get about 90.000 points.

Some people told, that the achievement must be done on normal since it would not pop on nightmare. But playing nightmare with a 6:00 streak seems to be very unlikly to me. Taken spawning behind you and the grenades which come out of nowhere seem to make it impossible not getting hit for more then three minutes
Hoschi Hawkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #11
Hawaiian

Dexter XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 2   XBA Representer   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   x360a Representer   A+ Thread Award   Submit - Diamond   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoschi Hawkes View Post
I dont know how one could ever do this achievement.
I had some 9:59 streaks without any hit and killed all taken as fast as possible and everytime i get about 90.000 points.

Some people told, that the achievement must be done on normal since it would not pop on nightmare. But playing nightmare with a 6:00 streak seems to be very unlikly to me. Taken spawning behind you and the grenades which come out of nowhere seem to make it impossible not getting hit for more then three minutes
Have you tried this solution/glitch?

--> http://www.trueachievements.com/view...tid=539406#vch

Might be worth a try

Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:36 PM   #12
Hoschi Hawkes

Hoschi Hawkes's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian View Post

Might be worth a try
This is not the way i do my achievements... normaly
But since this was the last one on AWAN and i could not get it regulary, i gave it a try and it worked well

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by Hoschi Hawkes; 02-27-2013 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Error correction
Hoschi Hawkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:05 AM   #13
Lord Omega

Lord Omega's Gamercard
Awesome advice man, thank you. Took me four tries but I did it
I had been trying it for a few hours without succeeding. Your strategy with the stairs is solid. 128,000 points in five minutes!
Old 06-13-2014, 02:32 AM   #14
Armed Madman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian View Post

Might be worth a try
Thank you for the link, just got my 200/200 on here. Took about 7 attempts and got pile em high the same game.
Armed Madman is offline   Reply With Quote