PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Subscribe    Donate

Old 12-13-2011, 10:43 PM   #1
Matt36

MP Nemo36's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Thieves guild armour issue...

As most of you are aware, if you sell your thieves guild armour before a certain point in the story, you can't continue it and miss an achievement. Highly irritating that you can't buy a replacement or get another.

So, here is what I've come up with for a solution, not tested mine nor do I know if possible...

Kill a member of the Thieves guild, stealthy so not caught by the rest of the guild and take their Armour? Someone who has no use or effect on the story anymore, someone who wont be missed?

You'll have to say who and when yourselves because I'm not that far and its only a suggestion

Please let me know what you think, if its flawed, is it possible and if you've tried it with success!

Peace!
Old 12-13-2011, 10:45 PM   #2
XBM Yosho

XBM Yosho's Gamercard
This method does not work.

{UMK3Main-Reptile}
{MK9Main-Sub-Zero}
{SSFIV:AEMain-Ken}
{UMvC3Team-Wolverine,Ironman,Sentinel}
{Dungeon Fighter Live Wiki}

Last edited by XBM Yosho; 12-13-2011 at 10:49 PM.
XBM Yosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:46 PM   #3
Matt36

MP Nemo36's Gamercard

You mean work, right?

Do elaborate on why not and if you've tried it.

Thanks.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:50 PM   #4
XBM Yosho

XBM Yosho's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt36 View Post
You mean work, right?

Do elaborate on why not and if you've tried it.

Thanks.

You cannot steal armor from the members of the guild, The Thieves guild armor is specific to your character for that quest, and another set is not obtainable even with the pickpocket tree.

{UMK3Main-Reptile}
{MK9Main-Sub-Zero}
Old 12-14-2011, 01:07 AM   #5
Axel 360

axelquatripolar's Gamercard
XBM Yosho is right 100%. Also, and i really dislike to say this but this is mental, there are like other 3 threats about Thieves Armor just in the 3 first pages.

If the world is still at least reasonable, this threat should be deleted.
Axel 360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:08 AM   #6
Matt36

MP Nemo36's Gamercard

Cheers, Yosho.

Axel, you'll get over it.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:55 AM   #7
Kraderic
Banned User

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel 360 View Post
XBM Yosho is right 100%. Also, and i really dislike to say this but this is mental, there are like other 3 threats about Thieves Armor just in the 3 first pages.

If the world is still at least reasonable, this threat should be deleted.
Yes, there are three other threads (or did you seriously mean threats?) about the Thieves armor glitch in the last few pages, but I don't think any of them were created with the intention of informing others with a potential fix to the glitch; instead, they were created to only complain or inform others that they were one of the unfortunates to run into said glitch and to ask if there was a fix (which there isn't). Very different from OP.

But if you insist that deleting threads to inform the forum of a potential fix for a questline-breaking glitch (and asking others to test it because they're for whatever reason unable to atm) makes "the world still at least reasonable", more power to you?

Last edited by Kraderic; 12-14-2011 at 04:48 AM.
Kraderic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:15 AM   #8
XBM Yosho

XBM Yosho's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraderic View Post
Yes, there are three other threads (or did you seriously mean threats?) about the Thieves armor glitch in the last few pages, but I don't think any of them were created with the intention of informing others with a potential fix to the glitch; instead, they were created to only complain or inform others that they were one of the unfortunates to run into said glitch and to ask if there was a fix (which there isn't). Very different from OP.

But if you insist that deleting threads to inform the forum of a potential fix for a questline-breaking glitch (and asking others to test it because you're for whatever reason unable to atm) makes the world still at least reasonable, more power to you?

/HUG

{UMK3Main-Reptile}
{MK9Main-Sub-Zero}
Old 12-14-2011, 04:29 PM   #9
Axel 360

axelquatripolar's Gamercard
Quote:

But if you insist that deleting threads to inform the forum of a potential fix for a questline-breaking glitch (and asking others to test it because they're for whatever reason unable to atm) makes "the world still at least reasonable", more power to you?
Not english native, sometimes I commit mistakes because of that. Yes, I meant Threads.

I usually donīt like the "use search" post, but dude, thereīs too much threads, complains and mentions in the achievement guide and the official bugs recompilation the forum holds. When this thread got created there was another similar thread in the FIRST PAGE of the Skyrim forums.

And to be honest, I donīt think this is a questline-breaking glitch, youīre given a unique armor that ties into a guild. Iīm gonna say something that will probably make me sound more of a moron that I actually am, but honestly, if you sell the unique Thieves Guild armor you dont care enough for Thieves to deserve by the Guild Master.

Thatīs the main problem on having one character alone and trying to do everything with that character, you just donīt take seriously enough the guilds to live for them.

And in any case, if the guild armor was quest item and could not be dropped, Iīm sure people will still complain. It starting to sound like donīt matter how much well Bethesda does (I still think Skyrim is the solid Bethesda game in a while, or at least lots of more solid than Oblivion vanilla before Goty and Fallout 3), people think of Bethesda and think of bugs, and they will actually call bug or glitch to anything that does not suit for them. I repeat, is not a bug or glitch, youīre suppose to care about the armor, if they give it to you and canīt be buy is obvious that is unique.

Iīm actually happy that this is implanted in the game, and wish for every guild to make this kind of decision. In fact I always complain that the guilds are not more complex and actually forming part of one does eliminate the chance to form part of the other, like Companions+mages been possible but Mages+Thieves donīt.
Axel 360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:32 PM   #10
Lucas McCain

o LucasMcCain o's Gamercard
I gotta agree with axel. There are two or three new threads created about this problem every day. This 'possible solution' has been brought up, tried, and debunked in several of them at least.

I really hadn't thought of it in terms of it not being a glitch, but I have to agree with you there too. It's really not a glitch. It's just a matter of doing something of your own free will that came back to bite you in the tenders later. Yeah, it sucks, but you were the one who sold a unique item instead of saying "gee, I better hold onto this in case I need it again later." Not trying to be a jerk or anything; just saying. I think axel makes a couple good points, and don't want him to feel like he's the only one that feels that way.

Regardless, thankfully we're talking about a game that most of us will be playing through several times anyway. We'll get another shot at all those quests with the benefit of hindsight. Peace.
Lucas McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:22 PM   #11
Kraderic
Banned User

Quote:
When this thread got created there was another similar thread in the FIRST PAGE of the Skyrim forums.
I understand that, but on the other side of the coin, I'm inclined to believe people will be more accepting of those who would create threads to inform others how to fix their glitches instead of whining about them.
Quote:
And to be honest, I donīt think this is a questline-breaking glitch, youīre given a unique armor that ties into a guild. Iīm gonna say something that will probably make me sound more of a moron that I actually am, but honestly, if you sell the unique Thieves Guild armor you dont care enough for Thieves to deserve by the Guild Master.
While I agree that it's insanely stupid to sell unique armor that's related to a certain faction, it still remains that you're unable to finish the quest line if you happen to sell the armor, resulting in a broken questline. And in defense of those who sold the armor, the fact that you receive your Nightegale Armor so early in the quest-line would understandably pass the notion that's it's okay to sell your thief's armor, especially if they're new to the Elder Scrolls series.
Quote:
Thatīs the main problem on having one character alone and trying to do everything with that character, you just donīt take seriously enough the guilds to live for them.
It's not a matter of taking the guilds seriously or not. Once players received the more visually appealing and maybe more useful Nightegale Armor (which is undoubtedly related to the Thieves Guild, so you're still "taking them seriously", using your logic), it's safe to assume a good portion of players sold off their Thieves Guild armor; not because they weren't "serious" about the guild, but because they were lead into thinking the Nightengale Armor was the next step in the questline and that wearing the Theives Guild armor was no longer a requirement.
Quote:
I repeat, is not a bug or glitch, youīre suppose to care about the armor, if they give it to you and canīt be buy is obvious that is unique.
I don't believe the developers intended for people to not be able to finish a major questline in the game simply because they decided to sell several pieces of armor. That is the definition of a bug or glitch, so it very well is a bug or glitch. Seeing as there's no quest "Destroy the Thieves Guild" anywhere in the game, as opposed to the "Destroy the Dark Brotherhood" quest, it's safe to assume Bethesda never expected people to run into problem that wholly constitutes as a glitch.

Last edited by Kraderic; 12-14-2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:39 PM   #12
Theslatcher

theslatcher's Gamercard
Quote:
Tonilla didn't say "first one is free, but the others will cost you" os something along those lines...
Theslatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:51 AM   #13
Matt36

MP Nemo36's Gamercard

Quote:

Couldn't have put it any better.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:30 PM   #14
shadowr4ven

Shadow XBL's Gamercard
Can't steal or kill for it, sadly.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:44 PM   #15
Matt36

MP Nemo36's Gamercard

Very sad. No way around it, going to have to start it over!
Old 12-15-2011, 09:17 PM   #16
Kraderic
Banned User

Quote:
Very sad. No way around it, going to have to start it over!
If you've already gone through the trouble of completing several other quest lines and generally accomplished a lot in your current gamesave, I would suggest (assuming you're going just for the achievement) to start a new character entirely and go only for the Theives Guild quests. After you get the achievement, you can just revert to one of your earlier saves with your previous character and continue on as before.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:13 AM   #17
Matt36

MP Nemo36's Gamercard

Quote:
If you've already gone through the trouble of completing several other quest lines and generally accomplished a lot in your current gamesave, I would suggest (assuming you're going just for the achievement) to start a new character entirely and go only for the Theives Guild quests. After you get the achievement, you can just revert to one of your earlier saves with your previous character and continue on as before.
You talking about me doing that? I was giving the same to this guy I've already made a 2nd game
Old 12-16-2011, 10:36 AM   #18
Kraderic
Banned User

Quote:
You talking about me doing that? I was giving the same to this guy I've already made a 2nd game
Oh, I read it as "I'm going to have to start over!" Sorry 'bout that. :x
Old 12-16-2011, 10:37 AM   #19
Matt36

MP Nemo36's Gamercard

Quote:
Oh, I read it as "I'm going to have to start over!" Sorry 'bout that. :x
Haha! Don't worry
Old 08-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #20
WiskieSutra

WiskieSutra's Gamercard
Lost thieves armour solution

I disenchanted my armour..hit the tonilla problem!

Searched the shelves in the practice archery range..
Found thieves guild boots!!
WiskieSutra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #21
ChickinOnaChain

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
I usually don't sell armor/clothes given to me by a guild. But I also never use it either. It's too light for fighting and I die too easy.

ChickinOnaChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #22
t3rm3y

t3rm3y's Gamercard
i keep the outfit in inventory, its handy for the extra carry weight.
next to my bed i nthe guild is some boots and gloves, and there is another set of gloves in the training area where the chests can be unlocked - can these not be picked up and handed back if you did sell all ur armour? i thought u only needed one item of the armour to give back anyway?
t3rm3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:25 AM   #23
Joel78

joel78's Gamercard
Yeah I think with one of the patches they put some more armour in there in case you got rid of it.
Joel78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #24
majorxp

Talking Really?!?!?!?!

I really really really can not believe that absolutely none of you figured this out as of yet.....and so so so many threads and posts out there about it, jeeze lol

All you would have to do, not that there would be any use of the armour any how, is go to the training room in the cistern and take the boots off of the shelf in there!

Thanks for the Kudos.....lol
majorxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #25
bigbear2face

bigbear2face's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorxp View Post
I really really really can not believe that absolutely none of you figured this out as of yet.....and so so so many threads and posts out there about it, jeeze lol

All you would have to do, not that there would be any use of the armour any how, is go to the training room in the cistern and take the boots off of the shelf in there!

Thanks for the Kudos.....lol
The vast majority of the posts in this thread are dated from December of 2011.

The patch that placed thieves guild armor in various places around the Cistern wasn't released until well into 2012. Some idiot necro-posted on this thread bringing it back up.

Alea Iacta Est
MAL

Awesome pic provided by Dirty130
bigbear2face is online now   Reply With Quote