PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Music and Rhythm > Rocksmith
Subscribe    Donate

Old 11-21-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
skyodyssey

Never Played Real Guitar, tips?

Hi all,
I've always wanted to play real guitar, just never had the time to learn. I put this game in last night and found it pretty overwhelming. I thought since I can play GH/RB games this wouldn't be too hard, lol.

I have so many noob questions I was hoping you vets can point me to some good tutorials. There are tons on youtube and dont want to waste time watching bad techniques, etc.

A few noob questions:

1. Am I suppose to hold the fret after strumming? It sounds kinda crappy if I just release it.

2. How do I know how hard to strum?

3. Do you vets watch your hand as you strum or place hands on frets? Just wondering if in time I will not have to look. With six strings seems kinda hard to pick the right one without looking.

4. What is proper hand position on the frets? And how do you know when to move your hand postion vs stretching your finger?

I'll leave it at that for now.

Thanks
skyodyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
rcscruff

RCScruff's Gamercard
Google search "Marty Guitar Jamz".
Marty Schwartz makes youtube video lessons. I have been playing 15+ years and I enjoy his lessons for learning harder licks and solos. He has a whole series starting from extremely beginner up to advanced. Search it on google because he has his own website that links to the videos and they are far better organized on his site than they are on youtube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyodyssey View Post
1. Am I suppose to hold the fret after strumming? It sounds kinda crappy if I just release it.
Yes hold the fret as long as you want the note to keep playing.

Quote:
As hard or as soft as you need/want to. As a beginner you should focus more on picking the correct strings over how hard or soft you are picking them. Focusing on clean picking technique to start with will help you get better faster. Eventually your hands will just "know" where they are in location to the six strings and it will become an automatic response.

Quote:
3. Do you vets watch your hand as you strum or place hands on frets? Just wondering if in time I will not have to look. With six strings seems kinda hard to pick the right one without looking.
Watching your hands is natural. Focus more on doing it correctly than looking like a pro. With time you will need to look less and less. Eventualy you will only need to make quick glances to shift from one area of the fretboard to another. This will take lots of time and practice. So don't get discouraged. Many things with playing guitar take years to develop. So don't get hung up on slow growth. Definitely don't judge your progress based on hours or days of practicing something and not getting good at it yet.

Quote:

4. What is proper hand position on the frets?
You will need to see this to understand. Start with the videos.
Quote:

And how do you know when to move your hand postion vs stretching your finger?
If you can't reach it move your hand. Different people have different hand sizes and flexibility. So its not really a one size fits all kinda thing. As you get better you can begin to focus on efficiency. The fewer big movements the faster you can play.

Most important of all these things is to stick with it. Even after years of experience I still stumble on sometimes seemingly simple things. There'll be bad days where you struggle on something you had down easy the day before. But in the end it is all worth it. It is a skill that you can enjoy your entire life. I promise the hardest part is beginning and getting through the desire to grow faster and accepting that time and practice are necessary to learn.

Last edited by rcscruff; 11-22-2011 at 03:27 PM.
rcscruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:55 PM   #3
RonMax86

RonMax's Gamercard
Something I didn't notice at first was the 4 frets are lit up in the highway basically showing where your hand should be and what fingers you should be using, this is especially useful when you aren't seeing all the notes at first.
RonMax86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:38 AM   #4
rabies

Teamlead Taco's Gamercard
I'll throw in my 2 cents.

1. yes. typically leave it there until you need that finger to play another note, or you don't want that note to ring out anymore. Learning to leave it there will also help in chord development.

2. hard enough to make the strings ring. Not so hard you make them rattle. Really, it depends on what you are going for when you actually play to make music..hitting the strings harder gives it more attack, and a more aggressive sound. For purposed of this game though, pick just hard enough to make the string ring.

3. one of the main things I see AGAINST this game is that it forces new players to look at the screen instead of your hands. this makes it much harder on you guys. It is very natural, and NEEDED to watch your hands when you learn to play..your fingers don't have muscle memory yet..so you need to rely on your eyes to make sure you fingers are in the right place. With time and practice, you don't have to look at much..but even pros still have to glance down for big shifts and stuff. Playing without looking at all actually takes tons of practice..

4. The game will teach you this. Notice that it has 4 frets highlighted at all times. That is a hint that you should have your hands there. Sometimes, at first, when you are only playing parts of a phrase, you will question why the game wants you to move your hand up for a single note or something, but as you get better, and more notes fill in, you will see why. I found the game fret position guide to be pretty good in general. Also, always think in terms of making it easier on your fingers to play. If you find a way that feels more natural and makes it easier for you to play (shift vs stretching) always go with the easier way to play. The game, and audiences, only care about the right sound coming out of the guitar, not how awesome you had to stretch or how contorted your fingers got to make the notes. An extreme example of this is when i first learned to play, i did almost everything with my first two fingers..because it was easier. This is a bad habit, but because it was easier, i could play the songs i wanted to faster, and it encouraged me to keep at it...as I got better, obviously i learned to incorporate the rest of my fingers...

Last edited by rabies; 11-23-2011 at 07:40 AM.
rabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:09 AM   #5
NickDiamondz

nickdiamondz's Gamercard
Cool

This game is an amazing learning tool, I have been teaching myself how to play guitar for the past two years. Huge LOL for whoever thinks they are good at rockband, that rocksmith wont be much different. My best advice to you is to sit and watch tv and just strum, at least an hour a day, 3 if you want to get good faster and have the time. I am not far in the game so I am not sure how well the game does teaching MUSIC or does it just teach guitar? But you will want to learn how to play DO-RE-MI and learn the shapes your hands make going down the strings and picking, I would advise you to play do re mi up then backwards over and over again just as an exercise to get your fingers muscles strengthened and learn finger placement. Its advice a professional guitar player friend of mine gave me and it has helped tremendously.
NickDiamondz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:17 AM   #6
veener79

veener79's Gamercard
Looking to get this game in the next week or two. Have a friend with many guitars. He is selling me one of the ones he just got done redoing. He just got a Xbox. Getting a nice guitar for the cost of 6 xbox games I no longer play.
veener79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #7
PANIC ATTACK 10

PANIC ATTACK 10's Gamercard
Smile Rplacing my guitar strings question.

How do i replace my strings on a PRS SE electric guitar? the guy at the shop didnt tell me how. i've googled it, but came up with nothing.
PANIC ATTACK 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:42 AM   #8
Xeros150

Xeros150's Gamercard
Quote:
1. That is somewhat of a preferential question. I prefer to sustain my notes so that there is a better emphasis on what I'm playing, but there is a place for quick, short note phrases as well.

Quote:
2. That is another preferential question. When playing music, it must be a representation of how you feel. If it is a soft song, it makes more sense to play softer, whereas if it is a heavy song, it makes more sense to play harder. It's the difference between a happy song and an angry song.

Quote:
3. I mostly look at at my fretboard while I'm playing, but I treat live guitar playing like I do public speaking; I occasionally look at my note card for reference, but most of it is memorized and it is very important to have visual contact with your audience. Not looking at your fretboard is mostly muscle memory, which will come in time.

Quote:
4. What is proper hand position on the frets? And how do you know when to move your hand postion vs stretching your finger?
4. I gauge that based on how comfortable I am when playing a specific phrase. It's usually my ring and pinky finger that gives me trouble playing smoothly, so I play phrases differently with different finger combinations to see which is more efficient and comfortable.
Xeros150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #9
Xeros150

Xeros150's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by PANIC ATTACK 10 View Post
How do i replace my strings on a PRS SE electric guitar? the guy at the shop didnt tell me how. i've googled it, but came up with nothing.
I can't help you unless you tell me what type of bridge is on it. Sometimes the machine heads are a little different too, so if you tell me that as well, I could help you with that.
Xeros150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:33 AM   #10
Foxxy kyle

RemoveObama96's Gamercard

Awards Showcase You ARE the Controller Challenge Club - Tier 1   Road Map - Platinum   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Diamond   Micro Guide - Silver   XBA Promoter   2,500 Posts   Achievement Guide - Gold   Over Achiever - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   A+ Thread Award   Bright Idea
Total Awards: 12 (more» ...)
This game is awesome for learning guitar. That minigame Ducks is awesome for learning where each fret is without needing to look for it.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #11
squidtech

Squidlech's Gamercard
Quote:
Hi all,
I've always wanted to play real guitar, just never had the time to learn. I put this game in last night and found it pretty overwhelming. I thought since I can play GH/RB games this wouldn't be too hard, lol.

I have so many noob questions I was hoping you vets can point me to some good tutorials. There are tons on youtube and dont want to waste time watching bad techniques, etc.

A few noob questions:

I'll leave it at that for now.

Thanks
1. Yes, hold it and hold it well. Rocksmith often doesn't care, but if you want to mimic the song properly, hold the strings.
2. With an electric guitar, there's no need to strum it very hard and, for the purposes of Rocksmith, there is no need to strum hard. However, from a musical perspective, it does sound a bit different depending on how aggressively you strum.
3. Eventually, you don't need to look at your hands as much. However, everyone looks at their hands sometimes. Looking at your hands is just something you do when you are playing something that challenges you. As you get better, you stop looking. Even the most veteren guitarists look at their hands for the things they find difficult.
4. Rocksmith sort of highlights where it thinks your hand should be. Generally you use your 4 fingers to cover 4 or 5 frets before you need to move your hand. It's often best to stretch when possible because moving your hand often requires that you look your hand briefly. That said, it takes a while to get comfortable using all your fingers, especially your pinky. Do what ever seems easiest and as your skill develops you will settle into the proper/efficient fingerings. I wouldn't worry about developing bad habits on this front because eventually the best/proper way will become the easiest for you.
squidtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:33 PM   #12
Ropedawg

Ropedawg's Gamercard
My left wrist gets really sore because I think I'm bending it too far particularly when playing chords. Any tips to limit that, or is it just play more and get used to it?
Ropedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #13
sabazius

Sabazius's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
It will hurt a bit as you learn, but it's just a matter of the more you play the less it will hurt, until eventually you won't even feel it. It's just because you're putting your hand and wrist into positions it's not used to, the more you practice the stronger your hands will get and you'll be fine...
sabazius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #14
pedgz

pedgz's Gamercard
Quote:
simple answer, yes. you want the notes to sound clear. furthermore, yes, because it depends on how long the note should sound. rocksmith-wise, yes depending on how long the game wants you to hold that note.

Quote:
i believe there is no objective answer to this. my answer would have to be, it depends on how hard you want to strum. the only reason you want to strum hard is either you want the notes to come out louder or the song and you, the player, are both very intense and strumming it hard puts more emphasis on the intensity. thing is, you can strum hard or light, what matters is the notes come out clear once the strum hits. rockmsith-wise, as long as you see the game register a strum, then you know you strummed just right.

Quote:
i've been playing since 1991 but i still don't consider myself a vet. everybody looks. what you have to remember here is that learning the guitar should be hearing first, sight second. all beginners start by looking, but with practice and the more you become familiar with your guitar (or any instrument), you will develop that non-reliance on your eyes when it comes to playing. this includes familiarity with the width and length of your fretboard, the distance of each string to each other, the fret dimensions, etc. one good way of playing without looking is once you've figured and/or mastered a song or a tricky part of a song, play them with your eyes closed. let your ears help you identify the notes you are playing. rocksmith-wise, while it does have a disadvantage towards noobs, don't let that deter you. while you may need to look more frequently at the start, use that as your foundation to become better at playing rocksmith songs (and non-rocksmith tracks) without looking.

Quote:
if you're talking about which part of your fretting fingers should hit the strings, then it is the fleshy tip just below your fingernails. (that's why it's best to regularly cut your nails, it's good hygiene, too.). given you're new to this, you don't have calluses yet and it will prove painful at the start. constant practice, however, will harden the skin on those areas putting you in a better position. try to put your thumb at the middle of the back of the guitar neck. this will provide you with dexterity and put your hand in a better position to do big stretches over the fretboard. some players hook their thumb above the neck, using the thumb to fret the sixth and 5th (some even do the 4th) strings, but this will limit your fingers' ability to stretch. unless you have big hands, this will prove difficult. i have average-sized hands and i have the tendency to rest my left thumb on the upper back of the neck, almost hooking it over (a bad habit i never got over). my advice would be to familiarize yourself with both positions because both have their benefits if you want be a flexible rhythm/lead guitar player in the future. as for the four fingers' position on the fretboard, all i can say is: whichever makes you feel most comfortable playing a part of a song and the whole song. rocksmith-wise, the game gives you an idea of where to place your fingers. if you go to the riff repeater section and choose mastery at 100% and slow it down at the slowest possible speed, the fret numbers shown will point you in the general position best suitable to play that part. like what the others said above, it highlights the frets where your fingers should generally be positioned, with each finger covering a fret.
a good exercise i'd recommend you is place your fingers on the sixth string, each finger corresponding to a fret, going 1, 2, 3, 4 picking the string down-up-down-up (make sure each note rings clearly before fretting the next) and then switch to the next adjacent string, doing the same thing. this will allow you fingers to move faster and at the same time give them a little stretch. (go for frets 1 to 4, it's painful at first, but the payoff is great!). then you can go with variations (e.g., 4-3-2-1, 3-4-1-2, etc.)
finally, i know this is becoming a lot, but play the scale runner mini-game. if you don't want to play the mini-game per se, look at the scale map at the bottom left and practice on that. (i didn't listen to that lesson back in music class in high school 'coz i thought i didn't need it. i regret that to this day.)

i also encourage you to visit the rocksmith forums. the community there is very great and helpful.

all the best in your guitar playing.

Last edited by pedgz; 10-05-2012 at 05:35 PM.
pedgz is offline   Reply With Quote