Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Borderlands 2
Subscribe    Donate

Old 10-10-2012, 02:08 AM   #1
Hoborg
Banned User

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Goty 2012?

I'd like to my a case why this is a strong contender for GOTY 2012. Nothing so far has impressed me as much as Borderlands 2.

If only it didn't feature forced co-op, if only it didn't punish single players as much as it does. The loot system is basically broken in SP, can't find anything decent.

That's my only beef, and that's the only reason I traded it in last week. Got to the end but didn't have the mental stamina to proceed with VH mode in SP without some modded gear.

Some guy was going to help me out but never got back to me so I figured I'd wait and pick it up used when modded stuff is more commonly available for trade.

Yes, as a matter of fact this game is NOT balanced around single-player. It's not a broken experience like Dead Island but it still rage inducing at times when you feel cheated by the AI.

The reason why I'm willing to call it GOTY is because the writing is top-notch and so are the characters. Way more funny, and more memorable than BL1.

Its just a shame a player needs to resort to modded weapons to get to fully enjoy the end game content and VH mode. Just like Dead Island was a great experience once the single-player got re-balanced with some modded guns.

I'll be voting for this game.
Hoborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:14 AM   #2
ColdSpider72

ColdSpider72's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   Donator - Level 1   Over Achiever - Silver   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
You already traded it in and it's GOTY in your opinion? I would hate to see how long you keep games that you think suck. I know people that don't like this game half as much as you yet they still own it......

A GOTY in my opinion is a game you never really want to get rid of.....at least until you have completed every little piece of the game and ALL of it's DLC. I have certainly never traded in a GOTY candidate two weeks or less after buying it.

BTW, there are no modded weapons in the game yet. The software used to create them has not added BL2 yet according to many programmers that implement the various software.

Last edited by ColdSpider72; 10-10-2012 at 02:16 AM.
ColdSpider72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:14 AM   #3
Comatose

Send a message via AIM to Comatose

XI Comatose IX's Gamercard
not sure how you see SP as broken in the least bit. Co-op is not forced at all. I played most of my time on my main character in SP and had a blast and found tons of items that were better than anything me and my friends found in Co-op so far. Even TVHM is not a pain in SP, i didn't even have the best gear when i started TVHM and did just fine, It wasn't until half way through that i found some amazing items, In SP, that made it easy as pie.

I don't see anything broken in co-op, or SP. Both are evenly as good. It is just more fun to play with friends than alone, as it is in most all co-op games any way.

Honestly if you needed someone to come help you in TVHM just to get through it, I don't think the game was at fault for your views in that case at all.

It is a good contender for GOTY, but Dishonored certainly came out packing a punch and i think that is just as good a contender than anything.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:18 AM   #4
Hoborg
Banned User

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun72 View Post
You already traded it in and it's GOTY in your opinion? I would hate to see how long you keep games that you think suck. I know people that don't like this game half as much as you yet they still own it......

A GOTY in my opinion is a game you never really want to get rid of.....at least until you have completed every little piece of the game and ALL of it's DLC. I have certainly never traded in a GOTY candidate two weeks or less after buying it.

BTW, there are no modded weapons in the game yet. The software used to create them has not added BL2 yet according to many programmers that implement the various software.
I don't keep any of my games, I trade them in when I'm satisfied.
Hoborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:25 AM   #5
WalterWhite

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoborg View Post
That's how I roll too bro, 'specially when it comes to my bitches and cars.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:35 AM   #6
Annihil88torr

Annihil88tor's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterWhite View Post
That's how I roll too bro, 'specially when it comes to my bitches and cars.
Play a game and when your satisfied trade it in. Play with a girl and when your satisfied trade her in.

instagram: andrewcool8
Annihil88torr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:44 AM   #7
scrummers

scrummers's Gamercard
Can't really make a call yet I am waiting for AC 3 which is my most anticipated of the year. I love BL 2 and it might be my GOTY but I'll save my judgment til I play AC 3.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:15 AM   #8
AKfoy0face

AKfoy0face's Gamercard
im playing single player vault hunter, and im doing fine... you must really suck at the game or have no patients

but then again my turret wreaks havok
Old 10-10-2012, 04:20 AM   #9
ChickinOnaChain

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Maybe but I'll let you know after Far Cry 3 comes out.

ChickinOnaChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:37 AM   #10
Gageamatron

gageamatron's Gamercard
Quote:

Its just a shame a player needs to resort to modded weapons to get to fully enjoy the end game content and VH mode. Just like Dead Island was a great experience once the single-player got re-balanced with some modded guns.
Nice argument...

derp.

Gageamatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:42 AM   #11
StayonTarget
Chumps and Chumpettes!

Send a message via Skype™ to StayonTarget

TheStayonTarget's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - troy0891   Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver   Community Gaming - Emerald   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Donator - Level 2   CABS Beta Tester   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Micro Guide - Platinum
Total Awards: 20 (more» ...)
I think it is a contender. It's something fresh and well made. It's extremely fun playing with friends and the variety of characters and weapons just makes this amazing. I don't know of any other games to come out this year that have come anywhere near this game. It's in the top 3 of my favorite games I've ever played.

Thanks to Rajeanero for the sig!
StayonTarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:33 AM   #12
Chris is C00L

Chris is C00L's Gamercard
You've gotta be the only person crying that the game is too hard to beat without mods, lol.
Chris is C00L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:38 AM   #13
ByakuyaSZ

CRiiMZuN F00L's Gamercard
I don't know if it's going to stand a chance next to Black ops 2.

/sarcasm/

Edit - On a actual side note, I don't believe Game of the year even means anything anymore. So many games slap that label on a later retail version of the game with dlc included. It's just a marketing tool these days. Do I think it's the right direction to go? no, I don't but people are going to do what they do and that's just advertising to make more cash.

Last edited by ByakuyaSZ; 10-10-2012 at 05:42 AM.
ByakuyaSZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:43 PM   #14
upindat

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
My 2012 GOTY for sure. Huge COD fan and im sure BO2 will kick ass. But this game has so much content, easter eggs, etc etc that it has my vote. i cant remember the last time i bought a game that i have put so many hrs into, and still have a ways to go with content.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:46 PM   #15
Burnout x360a

M1KE 08's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   Submit - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   5,000 Posts
At the moment Mass Effect 3 and this are my top 2 games, add Assassin's Creed 3 in and it'll be tough.

^ By Xerofox, thanks!
Twitter lSteam

Burnout x360a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #16
Gackt
Banned User

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Gackt   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Gold   SOTF Winner   GSL 8 Winners   The Helping Hand   Bright Idea   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze   Artist of the Month
Total Awards: 14 (more» ...)
Syndicate is my GOTY...but I always seem to have much different tastes than most
Borderlands 2 was great, but I had done everything there was to do too quick, game had little replay value to me.
Gackt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #17
Hansathan

Hansathan's Gamercard
It's got my vote, that's for sure. Although I'm a tad perplexed why you feel SP is broken. I play with a buddy on a regular basis, but I enjoy playing alone just as much. Sure, I am dying every now and then on TVHM, but that's any game on a harder difficulty.

Hans(nickname) + Jonathan("real" name) = Hansathan
Hansathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #18
Flibbity Floid

Deadpool Psycko's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Referrals - Bronze
Quote:
I consider this to be a sham in the field of gaming.

You seem to ebb on the leg of the Negative Nancy. Not trying to be insulting but you find a lot of things wrong that really aren't. You're just not satisfied.

Co-op is not forced. It's heavily implied but SP just means you make a longer grind. Very few games give such a heavy imply for more than a 2 player co-op with this much enjoyment. L4D is the only other one I can think of where it's almost way better in co-op.

The loot isn't broken. There just is a massive variety. Again, it all depends on your patience with revisiting areas and scrounging every nook and crevice. I've found an awesome set of weapons in my SP game. One notable shotgun that breaks into like 9 other rounds and does crazy explosive damage with almost instant reload.

And sorry, someone who "relies" on Modded gear to progress is using a crutch. If you can't do it with the in-game tools (which are always more than enough)...that's literally like playing Monopoly but you decide to take money from a separate Monopoly game to give you an extremely unfair advantage.

Just my opinion. For fun? Sure. Farting around falls under ALL categories but if you "aren't having fun" and/or can't beat the game without the aforementioned, maybe it's time for a new hobby.

My Extra Life Fundraiser Page - http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?...ipantID=101865 -
Flibbity Floid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #19
Flibbity Floid

Deadpool Psycko's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Referrals - Bronze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansathan View Post
It's got my vote, that's for sure. Although I'm a tad perplexed why you feel SP is broken. I play with a buddy on a regular basis, but I enjoy playing alone just as much. Sure, I am dying every now and then on TVHM, but that's any game on a harder difficulty.
I love the co-op but my only gripe is being a lower level than friends and they can just "take the reigns". My first day, my pals were all just around lvl 20 and they were just "doing my missions". I had no idea what was going on. Once I got a handle, it became less of a hassle.

My Extra Life Fundraiser Page - http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?...ipantID=101865 -
Flibbity Floid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #20
Hansathan

Hansathan's Gamercard
Quote:
That's the thing...I have read countless posts of yours and I have come to the conclusion that you're insatiable. When I read the title to this thread before I opened it, I thought "Wow! That guy finally sounds like he loves something!" I open it up, only to find complaints about your "GOTY", and that you've already returned it??? It's when I read such cynical things like this that I thank God I am such a cheap date, able to find joy in almost anything.

Hans(nickname) + Jonathan("real" name) = Hansathan
Hansathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:22 PM   #21
WalterWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKfoy0face View Post
im playing single player vault hunter, and im doing fine... you must really suck at the game or have no patients

but then again my turret wreaks havok
If Hoborg is a doctor then we're all fucked.

"It might be a brain tumor...or the best thing that's happened to your brain all year. Either way I'm pulling the plug on you."
Old 10-10-2012, 11:18 PM   #22
AKfoy0face

AKfoy0face's Gamercard
Quote:
If Hoborg is a doctor then we're all fucked.

"It might be a brain tumor...or the best thing that's happened to your brain all year. Either way I'm pulling the plug on you."
whoops u FOUND A SPELLING ERROR.. AWESOME GREAT JOB 100 GS
Old 10-11-2012, 12:46 AM   #23
Dz06lt

DZ06LT's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts
Great game that will get some noninations, however i have a very strong feeling this year will finally belong to ACIII
Old 10-11-2012, 12:57 AM   #24
XperimntNterror

XperimntNterror's Gamercard
Definitely not GOTY for me. I love playing it; loved the first Borderlands too... but, therein lies the problem: the experience just isn't different enough.

Someone else above stated Borderlands 2 was "fresh", but it isn't; it's an improved version of the original Borderlands. That's definitely not a bad thing, but it definitely keeps me from calling it a "GOTY" since I already played this game in 2009.

Thanks to V1ZIONZxBLOOD for the really cool sig!

Last edited by XperimntNterror; 10-11-2012 at 01:00 AM.
XperimntNterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:05 AM   #25
WalterWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by XperimntNterror View Post
Definitely not GOTY for me. I love playing it; loved the first Borderlands too... but, therein lies the problem: the experience just isn't different enough.

Someone else above stated Borderlands 2 was "fresh", but it isn't; it's an improved version of the original Borderlands. That's definitely not a bad thing, but it definitely keeps me from calling it a "GOTY" since I already played this game in 2009.
I'd agree, nothing wrong with Borderlands 2 and I love it but I'm not blown away like the first time around. That being said I think it's been a weak year in gaming. I'd look for The Walking Dead to win the majority of major gaming websites Game of the Year awards and deservingly so.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:16 AM   #26
XperimntNterror

XperimntNterror's Gamercard
Quote:
I'd agree, nothing wrong with Borderlands 2 and I love it but I'm not blown away like the first time around. That being said I think it's been a weak year in gaming. I'd look for The Walking Dead to win the majority of major gaming websites Game of the Year awards and deservingly so.
That's exactly it. For me, a GOTY needs to be something that knocks your socks off (like how the original Borderlands was for me; it wasn't even a game I had followed at all, so it took me by complete surprise when I picked it up on release day simply because it looked like it might be fun and was looking for a new game at the time).

It seems lots of these GOTY lists devolve into a list of the "usual suspects". Some people are already calling Black Ops 2 and Halo 4 GOTY and they are probably correct in assuming it, but unless those games throw a brick in my face with something legitimately fresh, I've already played them in previous iterations.

A GOTY, for me, needs to be something totally unexpected and still hits all the right notes to keep me captivated. Borderlands 2 is definitely just as much awesome as Borderlands was, but I saw this one coming.

Of course this is only my opinion and opinions are like assholes, so...

Actually, Dark Souls is probably my personal GOTY. I realize it released in 2011, but I only got around to playing as of a few weeks ago and it has become my #2 favorite of all time (already through NG++++), so there you have that.

Thanks to V1ZIONZxBLOOD for the really cool sig!

Last edited by XperimntNterror; 10-11-2012 at 01:35 AM.
XperimntNterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:13 AM   #27
KFZ Scrubs

KFZ Nobody's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 10,000 posts   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
A lot of competition in this quarter alone, but Borderlands 2 is strong IMO.
You have:
AC3
Dishonored
ME3
and games that are automatically put in like Halo and COD

KFZ Scrubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:21 AM   #28
Axel 360

axelquatripolar's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun72 View Post
Laugh for a whole minute at least. Also, totally agree. Also, your signature is epic and can get enough of it.

Regarding the OT, Iīm with the edit comment of ByakuyaSZ. What was 2011 GOTY? The one that sold more, the one that get more gamers recognition or just the one that a certain magazine consider they GOTY?? I know for 2011 most people will say "skyrim" and thatīs it, but WHY is that one the GOTY? Why should be this one the GOTY and who decide?

Is all to much of a messy thing to even consider there should one be one answer to the question, because certainly not even the industry itself recognize one GOTY but several of them, generally, most of the Triple AAA games reach that status in some short of way. And according to the game covers, almost every single game in a videogame store is "THIS YEAR GOTY!!!"

I donīt think this game is the GOTY. Sure, itīs MY favorite game of the year, but the year is not over, there are tons of games from this same year I havenīt play, and above all, how am I gonna call it game of the year when the game is not over an there is still 4 DLCs coming??

PD: I notice someone says that Mass Effect 3 is a candidate for GOTY 2012. I hated that game. Is his opinion more valid than mine or vice-versa?
Old 10-11-2012, 02:22 AM   #29
ColdSpider72

ColdSpider72's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   Donator - Level 1   Over Achiever - Silver   1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKfoy0face View Post
whoops u FOUND A SPELLING ERROR.. AWESOME GREAT JOB 100 GS
He was just using that as an excuse to make a joke about Hoborg. Relax.

If he really cared about spelling errors, you would see him correcting them in practically every thread. It seems at least half of the people using this site can't spell to save their fucking lives.
ColdSpider72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:43 AM   #30
Nevander

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver   5,000 Posts
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
I would vote this for GOTY... if they fix the glitches.