Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > L.A. Noire
Subscribe    Donate

Old 03-25-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
ReaptheChaos

ReaptheChaos's Gamercard
Pretty disappointed.

Having just finished the game I have to say that I donít see what all the hype was about. I remember last year when this came out, everyone was raving on how original and brilliant this game was, personally I think this was one of the most boring games Iíve ever played.

I wouldnít even call it a game, it was more like watching a really long, really boring movie that would pause every once in a while and you had to push a button to get the actor to say the next line.

You basically sit there watching the game as it tells you a story, a really long boring story, I think I even fell asleep a couple times. Aside from the occasional gun fight, the only game play you get is driving from one point to the next. I enjoyed the free roam street crimes more than the main game. Originally I was trying to do the cases on my own, I was doing pretty good too, but having to sit through an entire case a second time because I missed a question or clue was just more than I could take, so after a while and I started using a guide just to get through this pile of garbage faster.

All I can say is, Iím glad I didnít buy this when it came out. If I would have spent 60 bucks on this I would feel seriously ripped off right now. Having spent $15 on the game and another $10 on the Rockstar pass I still feel somewhat swindled.

This game is a perfect example of why I never buy games at release anymore, how you can justify a $60 price tag plus the DLC is beyond me. The only plus I can see is that they didnít throw in a bunch of bullshit online achievements like most Rockstar games usually do.

If its true that what you donít know cant hurt you, then you must be practically invincible!
ReaptheChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:14 AM   #2
colt415

colt415's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Bronze   XBA Promoter   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
I don't know man I really liked it, it was a new type of game and I was impressed with the facial animation. I think a lot more of Rockstar games using it in the future.

Have you played Heavy Rain? Now that was a movie not a game.

Credit Goes To Xerofox For The Great Sig
colt415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
ReaptheChaos

ReaptheChaos's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by colt415 View Post
I don't know man I really liked it, it was a new type of game and I was impressed with the facial animation. I think a lot more of Rockstar games using it in the future.

L.A. Noire Trailer - Behind the Scenes - YouTube

Have you played Heavy Rain? Now that was a movie not a game.
Oh I totally agree with you on that point. The animation and graphics where very well done. In fact, I recognized a lot of the actors by simply seeing their face in the game. That was quite impressive. I just found it lacking in actual gameplay. Maybe its just not my cup of tea, Iíve never really liked games that use excessive amounts of cut scenes to tell a story. I want to be playing a game not watching it.

If its true that what you donít know cant hurt you, then you must be practically invincible!
Old 03-28-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
foamy10

Send a message via MSN to foamy10 Send a message via Skype™ to foamy10

foamy10's Gamercard
I personally enjoyed the game just because of te whole questioning thing and the facial animation. I did not enjoy the ending.
foamy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:57 PM   #5
ChickinOnaChain

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamy10 View Post
I personally enjoyed the game just because of te whole questioning thing and the facial animation. I did not enjoy the ending.
I think this is why there was so much "hype"...the whole facial thing, which I thought was pretty cool. Aside for that, I liked the detail of the city and the cars.

ChickinOnaChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #6
Nozza XBA

SnozzyBear's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Diamond   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   Achievement Guide - Platinum   Road Map - Platinum   Micro Guide - Silver   Over Achiever - Silver   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Donator - Level 3   A+ Thread Award
Total Awards: 14 (more» ...)
Some people just don't get it... Trying not to go down a really rant road here of all people want these days are FPS, fast paced games where they get to blow shit up and don't realise when a great, original game slaps them in the face...

I won't go down that road though... Oh wait?!

Personally the game was great. It's something that has never really been done before to this extent and was a breath of fresh air. The whole set-up of it all was brilliant, right from looking for clues, interrogation and even the simply gameplay. For what it was, it was a step forward.

Seems like some people are hard to please with a lot of companies that take risks like this and again as I said, all they want is what works and nothing new!

Last edited by Nozza XBA; 03-28-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Nozza XBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #7
ReaptheChaos

ReaptheChaos's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain View Post
I think this is why there was so much "hype"...the whole facial thing, which I thought was pretty cool. Aside for that, I liked the detail of the city and the cars.
Rockstar has always done an excellent job with vehicles and city details. They were both extremely well done in GTA 4 and Midnight Club, I expected nothing less with this game.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:17 PM   #8
ReaptheChaos

ReaptheChaos's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozza x360a View Post
Some people just don't get it... Trying not to go down a really rant road here of all people want these days are FPS, fast paced games where they get to blow shit up and don't realise when a great, original game slaps them in the face...

I won't go down that road though... Oh wait?!

Personally the game was great. It's something that has never really been done before to this extent and was a breath of fresh air. The whole set-up of it all was brilliant, right from looking for clues, interrogation and even the simply gameplay. For what it was, it was a step forward.

Seems like some people are hard to please with a lot of companies that take risks like this and again as I said, all they want is what works and nothing new!
I tend to like slower paced games myself, I think this one was just a little to slow. Look at my games list, you wont see many FPS games on there and the ones that are, I never really got very far.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:52 PM   #9
Big Stoz

big stoz's Gamercard
I enjoyed it because it was different at the time, I think after 12 months of hype though I could understand why it didn't meet expectations. The problem all along was that because of the Rockstar connection it was always going to be compared with Red Dead or to a greater degree GTA IV however much they tried to say it wasn't. Not the greatest game ever but still a good story and game all the same and the DLC additions were worth the money unlike some recent jokes I can think of.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:06 PM   #10
Frazerz1990

Frazerz1990's Gamercard
I liked the game very much, the scenes and story was enjoyable bought it on day 1 release and do not regret spending the £40 the only thing that disappointed me was the lack of multiplayer, even if it was simply free roaming with your friends. And it was the first game I've owned that required 3 different disks, I kept getting sadder once I had moved onto the next simply because "Aww, there's only 1 disk left until it's all over."
Old 04-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #11
ringmaster411

ringmaster411's Gamercard
It's a game, some people will like this type of game, some people won't.

Complaining there isn't enough action tells me this wasn't your type of game. I loved it but i enjoy detective stories and detective games in general, and this is easily the best detective game i have played.
ringmaster411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:14 AM   #12
Robbo1991

Robbo1991's Gamercard
Thought this game was great, the clues, the questioning, the car chases,every gun battle you have. The only thing that i didnt like was towards the end of the game where it changesfor phelps to the other guy(cant remeber is name) i kinda lost my way in understanding what was happening and then the end was abit crappy.But overall was a great game and DLC is good too
Old 05-04-2012, 06:00 AM   #13
xKRAIZEEMANx

xKRAIZEEMANx's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
I loved every minute of it, including all the DLC. But, as with most everything in the world, some will like it, some will hate it, and others will never hear about it.

xKRAIZEEMANx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:44 AM   #14
GrimSovereignty

Send a message via Skype™ to GrimSovereignty

GrimSovereignty's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I think it is a great game, at the moment I am not even finished I am on the 3rd vice desk case. The questioning and clues are what makes the game so great along with the facial animation
Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision? - Huey Freeman

GrimSovereignty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:27 AM   #15
Seekredemption9

Send a message via Skype™ to Seekredemption9

seekredemption9's Gamercard
I was really excited to get the game last year i started playing it and after a few months i stopped because it was taking too long and came back to it early this year. I was so dissapointed on how long it took to get from one place to the next.
Seekredemption9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:18 PM   #16
whatthedelio

WhatTheDelio's Gamercard
To me it felt like Assassin's Creed. Fun game but repetitive
whatthedelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:52 PM   #17
REfan001

Send a message via AIM to REfan001

Guneagle01's Gamercard
Guess there should have been more explosions in this game. Go play CoD.

REfan001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #18
djrapperz

samantha8488's Gamercard
I loved this game. One of my best games ive played
djrapperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #19
pandaliamcod6

xG i GeNoCiDeZ's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrapperz View Post
I loved this game. One of my best games ive played
Yup my first 100%
A masterpiece, but thats just my opinion.

50,000 G 28/01/2013
pandaliamcod6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:12 PM   #20
luis207

luis207's Gamercard
I thought the game was very well done. I think the reason some people didnt like it was because rockstar actually decided to pay attention to the narrative of the story more than the actual game play. I guess some people just have too short an attention span to actually be submerged in a story plot.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:12 PM   #21
paeng007

Only just got the complete edition of this game for 20 dollars on Tuesday.

Actually looking forward to playing it despite all the criticisms that I've heard, though starting it will have to wait for 1000-ing CEA and Gundam.
paeng007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:01 AM   #22
mikeymud

Mikey Mud's Gamercard
I was actually disappointed with the game, too, but I think that was largely because the game was (in my opinion) overhyped, especially in regards to the facial motion capture technology. The city itself was pretty impressive, and the research the team did into the automobiles, the movies, and the noir 'feel' was pretty impressive.

I thought the gameplay as regarding the detective work was actually quite disappointing, but now that I've had a year to reflect on the game, I'm appreciating it more. Yeah, it was flawed, but I kept on coming back, finished the game to the end, bought all the DLC, and found all the collectibles. And I had fun doing it. I hear that Rockstar hasn't killed off doing something with LA Noire again in the future, and I would definitely look forward to it. I just hope it doesn't show up on 3 discs again.
mikeymud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:39 AM   #23
Dervicious

Dervicious's Gamercard
I've owned this game for 5 months now. Bought it from Gamefly for $5. Still never opened it, and I'm afraid to. Got it for the cheap price tag, but no desire to play it. One day I might.

Dervicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #24
napoearth

napoearth's Gamercard
I don't think it was sold as that much of an action adventure type game, even though that was in there. It was meant to showcase the animation and the challenge of solving the crimes.
napoearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:56 AM   #25
Suedon70
Living the dream....

SueDon70's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Subscriber - Gold   Donator - Level 1
Started playing it extensively over the last few days. Love that the main character (and a couple others) are from Mad Men, one of my favorite shows. I'm enjoying the game, love the attention to detail and all the historic buildings featured.

Suedon70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:25 PM   #26
hestar

Hestar69's Gamercard
L.A. Noire was better than any GTA game IMO (nut not better than RDR which is the best game this gen IMO).So sad this game sold so poorly but GTA sells so well (yeah I don't like gta games )

hestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:54 AM   #27
Notoriouz BOB

NoToRiOuZ B O B's Gamercard
Boring

Don't get me wrong I think this is a great game, however, it's just too boring for my liking. I got sick of completing a case and then basically repeating it. Go to this place, find a clue, go to another place find another clue, got to another place find a clue, take down the person behind it, get congratulated at the office then repeat constantly. Just too repetitive for me. The graphics and how the game actually played were great though.
Notoriouz BOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:37 AM   #28
remco1986

Remco1986's Gamercard
For me this is a game a would start playing a second time from scratch. Normally after clearing a game it over for me. But not this time.
remco1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:06 PM   #29
Toaster Forster

seasick sausage's Gamercard
Seen the complete edition on sale at a low price so thought I'd check out the forum to see if its worth buying. Seems like its the same as the game reviews on at Amazon an Play.com i.e. total opposite ends of the spectrum- either thinks it great or say they don't understand what all the fuss was about. Think I'll give it a go and try for myself,there's some decent reviews from most of you all.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #30
Iceskater101

iceskater101's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Gamer Chick!
I rather enjoyed this game a lot! I thought it was fun to drive all the cool cars and I liked being able to decode if a person is lying or not. Plus investigating the scene is pretty fun. I don't know I loved the graphics they were amazing and I am just really enjoying this game.

credits to DEG23
Iceskater101 is offline   Reply With Quote