Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Racing > DiRT Showdown
Subscribe    Donate

Old 08-19-2012, 04:29 PM   #1
Thracian

Lord Townicus's Gamercard
Rubberband AI

Why in 2012 do alot of racing games developers insist on including rubberband AI in their games. In this day and age programming a fair and challenging AI shouldn't be too much to ask. I'm coming across it in elimination, race off and 8 ball events where cars will go for only me and the other cars behind me are faster or have infinite boost. It really takes the fun out of the game knowing the AI are not playing fair. Anyone else getting annoyed by the AI in this game?
Thracian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:11 PM   #2
AcedZero

BaldCamaroStud's Gamercard
Yeah, I just started playing after a few months of taking a break from it... the rubber banding is especially bad in the legend tier. I was on a figure 8 race, clearly winning (was on casual difficulty haha). On the last lap the AI decided to take about 4 cars and wipe me off the map just before the finish.

It was an 8 lap race, so took about 6 minutes... I don't have the patience to re run them because the AI decided to be cheap...

Friend Requests sent without a message will be deleted.
AcedZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:22 AM   #3
chr!s

chriscba's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcedZero View Post
Yeah, I just started playing after a few months of taking a break from it... the rubber banding is especially bad in the legend tier. I was on a figure 8 race, clearly winning (was on casual difficulty haha). On the last lap the AI decided to take about 4 cars and wipe me off the map just before the finish.

It was an 8 lap race, so took about 6 minutes... I don't have the patience to re run them because the AI decided to be cheap...
Been playing this game for a few days having just completed intermediate career and the above fig.8 race did feel like hitting a brick wall in terms of difficulty so much that all but one car was wrecked but second place finished behind me by about half a sec. This AI took me back to playing f zero x on the n64 as a kid and I thought it was a cheap and primitive way of upping the difficulty on final laps even back then.
chr!s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:05 AM   #4
frankthechamp

I completed the entire career and missions + hidden packs in 10 hours or so on intermediate difficulty. I have to say that I did not feel the rubberband AI. I am not saying that you are wrong guys, but I felt like they were catching up, but not as fast as some NFS games for example. I have to admit that my strength in video games is racing, so if you are less experienced, well, maybe you feel more that AI catching up quickly on you. Were you guys on hard difficulty? If so, then maybe I would have felt it myself as I did not try this difficulty setting.
frankthechamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #5
Killerchronic

Ki11erC's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthechamp View Post
Were you guys on hard difficulty? If so, then maybe I would have felt it myself as I did not try this difficulty setting.
The post above yours clearly says intermediate and the one above that says casual.

I played this for a while on PC and i must agree at times the AI was very annoying but its not what i would call rubber banding so to say, at least for the most part, maybe at the end its diff. For me rubber banding is where the AI is always on your tail, in this i can get quite a good lead and it takes a couple of bad crashes for AI to catch up. Playing on intermediate aswell.
30k Hit - 05/07/10
40k Hit - 13/09/10
50K Hit - 31/05/11
Killerchronic is offline   Reply With Quote