PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Action > War of the Worlds
Subscribe    Donate

Old 03-10-2012, 03:49 AM   #1
Bum Commando

Bum Commando's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Post Achievement Guide / Roadmap

Hello, I realise there is already a guide written but it was my first attempt and I wanted to clean it up a bit and put it in proper format. As with any other guides I've written feedback is always much appreciated. Thanks.

Overview:
-Estimated achievement difficulty: 10/10
-Offline: 12 (200 )
-Approximate amount of time to 110 : 5-10 hours
-Approximate amount of time to 200 : ??+ hours
-Minimum number of playthroughs needed: 1-2 Depending on skill/patience
-Number of missable achievements: 6
-Glitched achievements: 1? (See 3.711 m/s != 9.780 m/s description)
-Do cheat codes disable achievements?: No cheats
-Does difficulty affect achievements?: No
-Unobtainable achievements?: 1

Introduction:
War of the Worlds is a 2D platforming game based on the original novel by H.G. wells. This game is not for the casual gamer and requires alot of patience, some skill and at times alot of luck. There are 6 missable achievements in the game (1 of which nobody has) so if you pass them you will have to start a new game to replay the levels in order to get them. The other missable achievement won't see the light of any gamertag. 9 of the achievements are in the reach of any gamer who has the patience to actually complete the game. Old School is going to be the hardest achievement in the game if you are going for 150. The other 50 in the game has NOT YET BEEN OBTAINED LEGITIMATELY BY ANY GAMER. A bit tantalizing no?

Playthrough:
It is possible to achieve 110 in one playthrough of the game. You can collect the games 10 manageable achievements in this order.

-Sole Survivor
-Speed Demon
-Martian Exterminator
-A Ninja In Tweed
-Selfless
-Home again, home again
-3.711 m/s != 9.780 m/s
-Light in the Darkness
-Follow Me!
-"To Hear the Tumult of Children"
-Old School

Unobtainable achievements:
-I Am Arthur Clark

You will not get this unless you can complete the game in one sitting without dying. This achievement was clearly some kind of office joke challenge and likely will never see the light of any gamercard.

Conclusion:
If you are hardcore you will leave the game with 110 in about 5-10 hours. The game will bring all sorts of nostalgic nightmares back to gamers familiar with old school platforming difficulty. The controls are clunky and the platforming is simply too ambitious for the controls to keep up. The game will come down to sheer luck in certain areas as the drones flashlights will often detect you through solid objects while standing near the edges of cover. Making if through the game without dying in one sitting will require complete mastery and memorization of the entire game coupled with an insane amount of luck. You will not get 200 in this game. Oh well, Happy Platforming!

Quote:
"The dumber people think you are, the more suprised they are going to be when you kill them."
-William Clayton

Last edited by Bum Commando; 01-01-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Bum Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:50 AM   #2
Bum Commando

Bum Commando's Gamercard

"To Hear the Tumult of Children" - 20
Complete the game

This achievement pops after you finish the final level where you climb the alien tower. Story related, can't be missed.

Old School - 40
Complete the game without dying once

This achievement is possible with a ton of practice and patience. The level restart option will NOT reset your death counter so you mush dashboard on every death.

I Am Arthur Clark - 50
Complete the game in one sitting without dying

Only 1 in 148,000 is expected to obtain this achievement and so far nobody has. I doubt 148,000 people even bought this game for that matter. If you were hoping for an experience like Limbos less than five deaths achievement then you will be very disappointed. Level restart will NOT work for this achievement. It must be done in one single run of the game. Good luck.

Speed Demon - 10
Beat the Rooftops north of Bayswater Road in under 3 minutes

To get this achievement doesn't require a perfect run but does require a near perfect run. Keep running and jumping occasionally as it makes you travel faster. Try to time your jumps at the last second so that you don't end up hanging off the edge of one of the buildings and losing time. The achievement should pop when Arthur starts talking after you jump off a series of buildings being lifted by the Tripod. If you mess up along the way you can always restart the level.

3.711 m/s != 9.780 m/s - 10
Destroy a Drone using a pushable object

You can obtain this achievement when you reach a giant bell tower you must climb. After you reach the crate at the top and begin your ascension keep an eye on the left hand side of the tower. Above the second drone down from the top you will see a random crate on a ledge. Simply push it down onto the drone and the achievement is yours. This is the first achievement I got in the game and just popped randomly during Barthurst Mews. It may pop randomly for you as well. You can also achieve this legitimately in Hyde park level by following this achievement video.

Sole Survivor - 10
Escape Barthurst Mews using first NPC targeted by Tripod

This should be the first achievement you obtain in the game but can be missed. When you get to Barthurst Mews you will be in a mob of people running back and forth. The Tripod will begin snatching random civilians one by one. Simply jump onto the claw of the first civilian the tripod latches onto and the achievement will pop when it drops you off at the top of the building. If you miss it you can just restart the level.

A Ninja In Tweed - 10
Cross Hyde Park North without dying once and being spotted by a single Drone

This is going to be the hardest obtainable achievement in the game. There appears to be no distinct pattern to the drones and they often detect you through solid objects. Use the restart level option if you get spotted or die in any place. This will take a lot of patience, trial and error.

Selfless - 10
Give Jenny the gasmask

When you are traversing the apartment buildings with the black gas you will obtain a gasmask. Along the way you will run into a little girl that runs away from you. Be sure to approach her slowly and Arthur will give her the mask. Story related, can't be missed. Heres a youtube video if you're having troubles giving Jenny the gasmask.

Follow Me! - 10
Free all prisoners from holding pens in Martian Cylinder

After completing a puzzle under three trapped soldiers you will take an elevator up and find buttons to open the doors trapping all three. Two of them will take the elevator and exit to the left while the third will take the elevator to the top to assist you with unlocking doors as you progress. Eventually you will reach another cell containing many guards. You will need to free them in order to progress. The achievement pops after the door opens. Story related, can't be missed.

Martian Exterminator - 10
Complete Hyde Park level

Complete the level Hyde Park. Story related, can't be missed.

Light in the Darkness - 10
Complete London EC4 Underground

Complete the level London EC4 Underground. Story related, can't be missed.

Home again, home again - 10
Complete Stamford Street, South Bank level

Complete the level Stamford Street, South Bank. Story related, can't be missed.

Quote:
"The dumber people think you are, the more suprised they are going to be when you kill them."
-William Clayton

Last edited by Bum Commando; 01-01-2013 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:56 PM   #3
* Clueless *

Clueless 726's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - * Clueless *   Submit - Silver   The Helping Hand   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1   A+ Thread Award   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
Cheers! 3rd one published today.
Let me know if you see anything that needs edits or updated.
Thanks for you hard work!
* Clueless * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:22 AM   #4
Real leeono

Leeono's Gamercard
Old school has been unlocked by myself and 2 other gamers (check trueachievements.com for details). We all used the dashboard trick to quit after every death before the game auto saved. Took patience but it got done.
Real leeono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:06 AM   #5
Tanubi

Tanubi's Gamercard
I can confirm restarting the Level does not work for "I Am Arthur Clark" I have been playing this once a day for a few months now and have got no achievements for making it through the level without dieing using the level restart.

I can also say the Hyde Park level for "A Ninja In Tweed" is pretty scripted and the drones do have a pattern. Learn the patterns and this one is easy. I think 1 in 50 goes would net you this.

Last edited by Tanubi; 10-07-2012 at 04:49 AM.
Tanubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:31 AM   #6
Bum Commando

Bum Commando's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real leeono View Post
Old school has been unlocked by myself and 2 other gamers (check trueachievements.com for details). We all used the dashboard trick to quit after every death before the game auto saved. Took patience but it got done.
Wow! Congrats! I'l check out truea right now. I'l see if I can revise this soon. Did you post any faqs or anything on truea? Or would you mind giving me a little more info on what you did or how long this took?

Quote:
-William Clayton
Old 10-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #7
Real leeono

Leeono's Gamercard
Well renegade on the trueachievements site had a pretty good guide, but basically the restart level option does not wipe out your deaths on that level. This means you must dashboard before the game autosave when you die or what I did and turn off the power on my slim. Other then that it is just practice practice and patience on each level. Took me two days with breaks. There is a video walkthrough on YouTube with deaths but gives you a good idea of traps and what to avoid.

Now if I can only do it all in one go.......
Real leeono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:19 AM   #8
zeroFerus

Send a message via MSN to zeroFerus

zFerus's Gamercard
There is no way I could make it thru this whole game without dying. Unless I memorized the entire game. The game is pretty good, but not enough to put that type of effort into it...