PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Racing > Blur
Subscribe    Donate

Old 02-19-2011, 06:01 AM   #1
mrbonelly

Awards Showcase Word of Mouth   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Does anyone know if servers will be shut down - if so when?

title says it all... i guess i must race to finish to online portion now
Old 02-19-2011, 07:06 PM   #2
master_shake_350

Send a message via MSN to master_shake_350 Send a message via Skype™ to master_shake_350

a box of fish's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I think the PGR4 servers are still running so that will go down first seeing as it came out in 2007, this came out last year. I don't see them taken them down till next year.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:30 PM   #3
GORQITO

gorqito's Gamercard
I think the OP question is in regards to the fact that Bizarre studios has closed. In that case, it is hard to say, but there has been no news about servers closing yet, so it might be up for a while yet.

GORQITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:35 PM   #4
TJP

According to an Activision employee, the answer for now is no.

"There will be no impact whatsoever to the overall game infrastructure and, as such, game sessions and all other network/multiplayer aspects of the game will remain intact and as is".
TJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:21 AM   #5
master_shake_350

Send a message via MSN to master_shake_350 Send a message via Skype™ to master_shake_350

a box of fish's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORQITO View Post
I think the OP question is in regards to the fact that Bizarre studios has closed. In that case, it is hard to say, but there has been no news about servers closing yet, so it might be up for a while yet.
Same people who made PGR 4 made this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJP View Post
According to an Activision employee, the answer for now is no.

"There will be no impact whatsoever to the overall game infrastructure and, as such, game sessions and all other network/multiplayer aspects of the game will remain intact and as is".
Great, but I am still gonna go for Legend asap.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:51 PM   #6
Shelton

Tully123's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
MS runs the servers, so they won't close down. Look at Shadowrun, FASA went under only months after Shadowrun's release. It has been years and it is still online. The only time that the servers are taken down/offline is when the companies choose to use their own. EA and 2K are the main offenders. If you see a game published by either, you're most likely on a time limit.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:03 PM   #7
mrbonelly

Awards Showcase Word of Mouth   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelton View Post
MS runs the servers, so they won't close down.
did you mean Activision? since they own/have the rights for Blur
Old 02-23-2011, 10:10 PM   #8
Seany Show

Seany Sh0w's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 3   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbonelly View Post
did you mean Activision? since they own/have the rights for Blur
I don't believe that Activision have their own servers and you will find that they use Microsofts. It is only EA & 2K who seem to run their own servers & shut them down when the games become unactive.

GSL 12 starting gamerscore 377,387
Seany Show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:05 PM   #9
Boots Orion

Boots Orion's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seany Show View Post
I don't believe that Activision have their own servers and you will find that they use Microsofts. It is only EA & 2K who seem to run their own servers & shut them down when the games become unactive.
Its not when they become unactive, that's just what they tell people in their press releases to make the pill easier to swallow.

The reason they do it, and for both 2K and EA it is normally for sports games, is to encourage people to buy the current edition of the games. The LOTR shutdowns were for different reasons (i.e., contract expired), and to be honest they kept the servers for BFME II open much longer than they had to.

You can't blame EA and 2K for wanting people to buy the newest editions of their games, so I don't really hold that against them. Trust me though, if Activision (or any other developer) put out sports games like NHL, NBA, Madden, etc., they would control the servers for those games too. We only care because we like to get achievements.

Anyhow, to answer the OP's question, the servers won't close for Blur. Some features may end up getting removed/unsupported (like the Gotham TV feature in PGR3), but other than that, you will still be able to play the game online (and get achievements) until Microsoft stops supporting XBL for the 360, which won't be for a long long time (they just removed XBL service for the original XBOX last April even though they released the 360 4 and a half years prior).
Old 05-25-2011, 05:19 PM   #10
etsry2k

Send a message via Yahoo to etsry2k

etsry2k's Gamercard
I love this game, loved it during the beta and loved it when it came out. Hell, i went and got it at midnight from GameStop...sad to see that it never took off.
etsry2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:09 AM   #11
chelseaman99

the sfc chris's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots Orion View Post
Its not when they become unactive, that's just what they tell people in their press releases to make the pill easier to swallow.

The reason they do it, and for both 2K and EA it is normally for sports games, is to encourage people to buy the current edition of the games. The LOTR shutdowns were for different reasons (i.e., contract expired), and to be honest they kept the servers for BFME II open much longer than they had to.

You can't blame EA and 2K for wanting people to buy the newest editions of their games, so I don't really hold that against them. Trust me though, if Activision (or any other developer) put out sports games like NHL, NBA, Madden, etc., they would control the servers for those games too. We only care because we like to get achievements.

Anyhow, to answer the OP's question, the servers won't close for Blur. Some features may end up getting removed/unsupported (like the Gotham TV feature in PGR3), but other than that, you will still be able to play the game online (and get achievements) until Microsoft stops supporting XBL for the 360, which won't be for a long long time (they just removed XBL service for the original XBOX last April even though they released the 360 4 and a half years prior).
If they didn't put online achievements in their games I wouldn't care about them closing their servers down because at the point they close them the next edition of the game is usually pretty cheap.

@OP - I can't see them being closed any time soon.
chelseaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #12
Flopsy86

flopsy86's Gamercard
Activision do remove support for certain features in their games

Just look at Guitar Hero World Tour, they have removed the GH Tunes feature from that game and it has made 2 achievements unobtainable as a consequence.

However, the online servers are still there in that game so the online aspect of the game won't disappear completely but things like leaderboards and social aspects may be removed.

Flopsy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #13
stealthy

RubberTypeX's Gamercard
Seems like part of the online aspect is offline now. The friend challenges have not worked for a week or 2 now
stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #14
Dobi93PL

Dobi93PL's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthy View Post
Seems like part of the online aspect is offline now. The friend challenges have not worked for a week or 2 now
Did they fix it? Or it still doesn't work?
Dobi93PL is offline   Reply With Quote