Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Dragon's Dogma
Subscribe    Donate

Old 10-12-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
GuidoNGR

dontVanek's Gamercard
Opinion on this Game?

So i've heard this game is kind of like Dark Souls, but not as hard and with a fantastic battle system but other than that I haven't heard much and i'd like to look into buying this. Could I get some opinions on how everyone likes this game, and if you could in detail?
Old 10-13-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
BloodGodAlucard

BloodGodAlucard's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I just did one of these on your Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning topic.

Dragon's Dogma is a really great game. It's one of my favorite new IPs to come out in a long time. The comparison to Dark Souls is well founded. The game doesn't hold your hand like a lot of modern games do. So it can be difficult to new players or people that aren't well versed in RPGs. That being said, it isn't overly difficult once you learn how to fight the enemies and how to set up proper battlefield strategy. (Classes, abilities, gear selection, etc.) Just make sure not to venture out at night early on. lol The most dangerous enemies come out at night. And if you're not well stocked on items and prepared for battle, you'll have a really bad time with them.

The story in this game is excellent. It has multiple endings. 7 false endings (I think that's the number. You'll have to forgive me. It's been a while since I played this game. There is an achievement associated with each one though. And, provided you follow the achievement guide, they can all be attained in your first playthrough. Then there is the true ending. Which is fantastic. Some people will say that they didn't enjoy the ending to this game. But I believe that's because they simply didn't understand it. If you pay attention to what's happening, it's really incredible to think about. There are a lot of characters that you'll interact with in this game. Only a select few of them will impact the game in a significant way.

Speaking of characters, the way you interact with them can effects on the game. You can kill nearly any NPC in this game whenever you want. (I really wouldn't recommend doing this on your first playthrough though.) Certain NPCs will give you quests that will have unique items that you need to obtain better equipment later in the game. Some will offer items needed to complete side quests in a favorable way. And some are just there to add life to the world. They're pretty interesting to interact with.

There is a romance mechanic in this game. It's nothing like those used in more well known games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, or Fable. You can romance ANY character in this game. Even ones you really shouldn't be able to. (Like a nine year old little girl (speculation on age) for example.) While you can turn the odds in your favor by giving a specific item (the Arisen's Bond) to the desired character you want, there is no guaranteed way to choose who you'll end up with in the end. You can try to stack the odds by giving them a ton of gifts. Each character has items that they like. So just make sure to give a lot of those items to your desired mate.

The character customization is really well done in this game. You can choose the gender, build, and appearance of your character. The options at your disposal are pretty deep and detailed. Not only can you customize your character. You also get to customize your Main Pawn. Pawns are your companions in the world of Gransys. Your Main Pawn will always be at your side. (There are ways around that if you want to play solo. You can hurl them off a cliff or let them die in combat. They won't respawn until you touch a Rift Stone. (That's where you summon your allies from.) You can also enlist the aid of 2 other pawns. You can find them wandering around the world or you can get them from the Rift. If you're playing online, then you'll be able to use anyone's pawn that is on your friends list for free. Remember that using higher level pawns than yourself will result in diminished XP gain. It will make the game easier though. If you're not using your friends' pawns, then you'll have to use a currency called Rift Crystals. You acquire these through questing, exploration, and combat.

On the subject of your Main Pawn and pawns in general, I would highly recommend playing this game online. If you choose to do so, other players around the world will be able to use your pawn. This has many benefits. Your pawn will gain knowledge on quests and how to fight NPCs. They will also bring back Rift Crystals and gifts. Other players might even equip your pawn with new weapons and armor. This will all be transferred to you when you rest at an Inn. Knowledge of quests and enemies is important in this game. And your pawns fulfill a very important role here. If you're stuck on a quest, ask one of your pawns with a symbol over their heads about it. They'll usually provide useful information on how to proceed. They'll automatically employ the best battle strategy in combat based on their knowledge of the enemy type.

There are a large number of side quests to do in this game. They will shape your relationship with the characters and gain you powerful items, XP, and money. They are also quite fun and interesting to complete.

There is a NG+ (New Game Plus) mechanic in this game. You can't have multiple characters in Dragon's Dogma. You have one Arisen that you can take through the game multiple times. If you choose to do this you'll retain all of your items and levels each time. There is a level cap of 200 btw. Your interactions with characters will remain across playthroughs. So if you are friendly/romantic with characters it'll remain that way in NG+ onward. I don't know if there is a limit on how many times you can replay the game. There is a limit to 15 NG+s in Dark Souls for example. Another great thing about NG+ is fast travel. There is none at the beginning of your game. You'll acquire a rare item through the game. It's called the Port Crystal. You can place this item anywhere in the world and use a Fairy Stone to instantly teleport there. There is one of these in the main city of the game, Gran Soren. That one is permanent and can't be moved. You'll only find and be able to place one extra one in your first playthrough. In NG+ you can acquire more (they can be purchased from the Black Cat shop for 200,000 gold.) Or they can be gifted to you by other players that use your pawn. Any Port Crystals you place will always be there in your NG+s.

There is one feature that is really cool in this game. There is an online Raid Boss called the UR Dragon. He gets stronger each time he dies. This is called Generations. He can take days to be killed online since every player in the game gets to contribute damage to him. But if he kills a player he regains health. You can fight him offline to farm him for loot and XP. He's incredible easier when fought this way. Still he's really cool to fight. There are a lot of really amazing bosses in this game. But I won't spoil them for you.

The class system in this game can be changed at anytime at the Inn in Gran Soren. So feel free to experiment with different playstyles. You can change your Main Pawns class at anytime too.

The achievements in this game are fun and certain ones can be challenging. It will require 2 playthroughs for the 1000. It will take you a long time to complete this game if you decide to do everything. I put over 100 hours into it. You can compete it much faster than that if you don't do everything though. It's really based on how you choose to play.

The final thing I'll discuss is the post game content. This game is very cool in that employs and old school JRPG game mechanic. Once you beat the game, every enemy in the game evolves into a "black version" of itself. So wolves becomes Hell Hounds for example. This dramatically increases their health and damage output. If you thought the game way easy towards the end, prepare for a shock. They will beat you down at first. But it's really fun to fight these uber enemy variants. Some unique new enemy types that can only be fought in the post game will also appear. Wyverns for example. To accommodate these awesome new enemies, there is also a really cool post game dungeon called the Everfall. You will go here during your initial playthrough. But it only truly opens up in the post game. There are 15 (I believe that's the number. I could be mistaken since it's been a while since I played.) chambers to explore. Each one has powerful new enemies and treasure inside. There will be new NPC merchants in some of these areas. There are 3 to be exact. You'll have to do some grinding in this location at the very end of the game. You can also take your time and explore all of the chambers to fight all of the unique bosses and level up.

I hope this beast of a post was informative and helps you decide to play this awesome game. Enjoy your time in Gransys. It's an amazing place that begs to be explored.

BTW there will be DLC coming out for this game next year. It's called the Dark Arisen DLC. It looks to very interesting. They are also adding in a Speed Run mode where you'll be timed and can place on World Leaderboards. Not much is known about this addition yet. They are also adding in a Hard mode. No information on what that will entail yet either. This is probably to accommodate people that want more of a challenge. They actually patched in an Easy mode shortly after the game came out since some casual players complained that the game was too hard.

Completed: 74 Retail Games and 7 Arcade Games

Proudest Completion to Date: Dark Souls 1000/1000 on Xbox 360 and 1000/1000 on PC
BloodGodAlucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:24 PM   #3
Zacry072

Zacry072's Gamercard
I agree with most of what Blood God said above. The story is the weakest point in my opinion, but maybe the end of the game will help rectify my feelings toward it. My favorite part of the game is getting to use your friends' own pawns to help in your own adventures--I'm actually using Blood God's own pawn right now! This is truly a gem of a game if you don't like having your hand held like you see in most games and if you like enormous worlds to explore. It has a very old-school feel to it (very similar to Dark Souls) and makes you appreciate your hard work you put in.
Zacry072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:26 AM   #4
Floydian x Slip

Floydian x Slip's Gamercard
I must be playing a different game. Where can I find the version that has great combat and a good story?
Floydian x Slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:30 AM   #5
greedo911

heavytiger47's Gamercard
I feel this game will be the next one I take back to gamestop for my measly $6 that's going to count towards NBA 2k13... just sayin
greedo911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:29 PM   #6
Floydian x Slip

Floydian x Slip's Gamercard
Agreed. Only playing it to get some Gs while I wait for ACIII. Was disappointed for sure, and should have heeded the professional reviews.
Floydian x Slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:42 PM   #7
Darth Cuda

Darth Cuda's Gamercard

This game is one of the best rpgs ive ever played (and i play mostly rpg/racing). Gameplay great huge enemies epic encounters.....yeah. kicks ass.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:12 AM   #8
Darth Cuda

Darth Cuda's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydian x Slip View Post
I must be playing a different game. Where can I find the version that has great combat and a good story?
Are you serious?!?

This game is AMAZING. Yes story is a little weak but passable. Gameplay, however, is epic. Monsters you have to battle the size of buildings. Chimeras, Griffins, ogres, drakes and even dragons. List goes on and on. Each one takes a different approach than the last.....so yeah maybe you are playing a different game and not Dragon's Dogma. So you should stop reading this and go find and play it.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:40 PM   #9
k1ll1ng5pr33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodGodAlucard View Post
[..]
Couldn't have said it better Completely agree!

One of my Favorite RPG's at the moment. (And KoA, but as long as I've been waiting for that one, DD is so much better.)

PST.org: Vuule My Trophies Sig&Ava by RED_REBEL44
Check out my YouTube for Trophy/Achievement Guides and More!