PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password
 

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Assassin's Creed III
Subscribe    Donate

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
J Lo
 
J Lo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Melrose, NJ
Posts: 1,593

VictimOfDesire's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Ubisoft Needs Proofreaders

Going through this game, I would read EVERYTHING that was provided to me; subtitles, Animus Databases entries, Almanacks, everything and anything text based because it interested me so much. In doing this, I realized that Ubisoft totally did not hire a proofreader before publishing any of this textual data. Some of the grammatical errors that are riddled throughout this game are atrocious. And it's not like I found one error and came here to talk about it, I found AT LEAST 15 before I decided to write this. I even came across some trivial spelling errors in some of the mission objectives! (after finishing a mission for Myriam on the Homestead, they spelled available "avialable") I've also read some of Poor Richard's Almanacks outside of this game and they even transcribed some of it incorrectly, putting double "the"s in places and putting "the" instead of "then" just to name a few of the mistakes I noticed.

Did anyone else notice some of the piss-poor mistakes the writers made in creating some of these textual artifacts? I wish I documented the mistakes I found as I went along, but 1. I was too lazy to do so and 2. I would have been writing down mistakes for quite some time.

PS: Ubisoft, if you read this, I will GLADLY take a position with you guys to be your proofreader so that this doesn't happen again.
J Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
Rickmassacre
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Manchester
Posts: 487

Rickmassacre's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Lo View Post
Going through this game, I would read EVERYTHING that was provided to me; subtitles, Animus Databases entries, Almanacks, everything and anything text based because it interested me so much. In doing this, I realized that Ubisoft totally did not hire a proofreader before publishing any of this textual data. Some of the grammatical errors that are riddled throughout this game are atrocious. And it's not like I found one error and came here to talk about it, I found AT LEAST 15 before I decided to write this. I even came across some trivial spelling errors in some of the mission objectives! (after finishing a mission for Myriam on the Homestead, they spelled available "avialable") I've also read some of Poor Richard's Almanacks outside of this game and they even transcribed some of it incorrectly, putting double "the"s in places and putting "the" instead of "then" just to name a few of the mistakes I noticed.

Did anyone else notice some of the piss-poor mistakes the writers made in creating some of these textual artifacts? I wish I documented the mistakes I found as I went along, but 1. I was too lazy to do so and 2. I would have been writing down mistakes for quite some time.

PS: Ubisoft, if you read this, I will GLADLY take a position with you guys to be your proofreader so that this doesn't happen again.
you would benefit more by emailing them.
__________________

100% (55)
List Of 100%
http://www.trueachievements.com/game...gamerid=340720
Rickmassacre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:10 PM   #3
J Lo
 
J Lo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Melrose, NJ
Posts: 1,593

VictimOfDesire's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickmassacre View Post
you would benefit more by emailing them.
I'm not complaining really. I was just pointing it out and seeing if anyone else noticed all the atrocious mistakes they made. I think it would be dumb to contact them about something as trivial as that. It did irk me though, reading all the Animus Database entries supposedly written by Shaun Hastings (whose character is supposed to be this elegant, sarcastic smart ass who talks down upon everyone because he's "smarter" than them) and seeing all of these elementary school level spelling/grammar errors. It's pretty funny in the pathetic kind of way in regards to both his character and to Ubisoft.
J Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
Rolks
 
Rolks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 130

rolks's Gamercard
As much as I wish Facebook had a "Dislike" button, right now I wish XBoxA had a "Like" button. Your post amused me. I haven't noticed the mistakes myself, but I can understand your annoyance.
Rolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #5
J Lo
 
J Lo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Melrose, NJ
Posts: 1,593

VictimOfDesire's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolks View Post
As much as I wish Facebook had a "Dislike" button, right now I wish XBoxA had a "Like" button. Your post amused me. I haven't noticed the mistakes myself, but I can understand your annoyance.
If I remember correctly, when I was reading Tadeusz Kościuszko's entry, there were grammatical errors in there if you want to see for yourself. There's also a lot of noticeable errors in the Assassin's Guild Contract descriptions, especially the ones after you've completed the main 6 for the area (I think one of the missions was called Redeemer, in which the description says you need to protect the freedom of the soldiers who just fought for it in the war and the grammar is hilariously bad.)
J Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:00 PM   #6
ColdSpider72
 
ColdSpider72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Port, Fl
Posts: 1,996

ColdSpider72's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   Donator - Level 1   Over Achiever - Silver   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
To stay within the theme of the topic, I should inform you that it is spelled 'almanac'. Just something you should know if you are going to start a career with Ubisoft as a proofreader.

OT: I agree that the writers seem to have made more than the usual accepted limit of mistakes with this game. I am starting to think that this wasn't playtested one bit, between all of the glitches, bugs and typos. It happens with almost every big release, however, these glitches, bugs and typos are all pretty obvious and easy to spot. If the playtesters played the game (or read the Animus database) for even 30 minutes, they should have spotted at least a few of these.

The only reason I am saying they completely missed all of these issues and don't think they found them prelaunch and decided to wait to fix them (also happens a lot), is because they have yet to release a patch for all of the issues I am talking about. Issues discovered but ignored prelaunch are usually fixed with a day one patch or pretty soon afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolks View Post
As much as I wish Facebook had a "Dislike" button, right now I wish XBoxA had a "Like" button. Your post amused me. I haven't noticed the mistakes myself, but I can understand your annoyance.
Dude, will you PLEASE fix your obnoxiously broken signature. It screws up the whole page.
ColdSpider72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #7
J Lo
 
J Lo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Melrose, NJ
Posts: 1,593

VictimOfDesire's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun72 View Post
To stay within the theme of the topic, I should inform you that it is spelled 'almanac'. Just something you should know if you are going to start a career with Ubisoft as a proofreader.
To stay within the theme of the topic, I should inform you that I'm an English minor with a strong suit in 18th century literature (particularly poetry) and having read these almanacks outside of the game, the spelling is interchangeable, but for argument's sake, here's a picture of the actual cover of one of the alamanacks:



Just something you should know if you are going to be a smart ass over the Internet.

Back on topic: I agree with the whole not proofreading or play-testing at all. I mean, just READING some of these entries, you can spot numerous errors because it doesn't even sound close to grammatically correct when reading them. It made me sad on the inside. The game overall was great, but silly shit like this really brings it down for me.

Last edited by J Lo; 12-07-2012 at 03:15 PM.
J Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:47 PM   #8
ColdSpider72
 
ColdSpider72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Port, Fl
Posts: 1,996

ColdSpider72's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   Donator - Level 1   Over Achiever - Silver   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
I didn't realize we were living in the 18th century. I wasn't being a smartass, I was actually agreeing with you. I just didn't think it necessary to use a seriously archaic and never official spelling for the word, simply because they once did over 200 years ago.

A proofreader would change it to 'almanac' since that is the accepted and official spelling, so the point still stands. Do a bit more research and you will see that almanack was and still is considered a misspelling.

Spell Check of almanac



We have collected misspelling percentages from nearly 15,423,252 spell check sessions on spellchecker.net website (Jan 2010 - Jun 2012).


Results

How to spell almanac?
Correct: almanac.

Common misspellings:
  • almanack - 50%
  • alminac - 30%
  • alamanac - 20%

Last edited by ColdSpider72; 12-07-2012 at 03:49 PM.
ColdSpider72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #9
J Lo
 
J Lo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Melrose, NJ
Posts: 1,593

VictimOfDesire's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun72 View Post
I didn't realize we were living in the 18th century. I wasn't being a smartass, I was actually agreeing with you. I just didn't think it necessary to use a seriously archaic and never official spelling for the word, simply because they once did over 200 years ago.

A proofreader would change it to 'almanac' since that is the accepted and official spelling, so the point still stands. Do a bit more research and you will see that almanack was and still is considered a misspelling.

Spell Check of almanac



We have collected misspelling percentages from nearly 15,423,252 spell check sessions on spellchecker.net website (Jan 2010 - Jun 2012).


Results

How to spell almanac?
Correct: almanac.

Common misspellings:
  • almanack - 50%
  • alminac - 30%
  • alamanac - 20%
I view it as follows:

The literature is just that: literature, works of art really...and these pieces of literature have titles, be they misspelled or not. Let's look at the movie Inglorious Basterds for example. Basterds is obviously a misspell, but are you going to change the title of the piece just because they spelled it incorrectly? Franklin spelled it Almanack 200 years ago and I will continue to honor the titling of HIS work as such.
J Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:22 PM   #10
ColdSpider72
 
ColdSpider72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Port, Fl
Posts: 1,996

ColdSpider72's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   Donator - Level 1   Over Achiever - Silver   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Ok....well, as long as we are being technical, this technically belongs in the bitching thread. I should have just said that to begin with instead of trying to have a discussion just for you to ignore the points I was making and instead fixate on the almanac/almanack thing. It was supposed to be a gentle ribbing, not the main point of my post; However, you seem to be very defensive about it so I am moving on.

Last edited by ColdSpider72; 12-07-2012 at 04:37 PM.
ColdSpider72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:33 PM   #11
J Lo
 
J Lo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Melrose, NJ
Posts: 1,593

VictimOfDesire's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun72 View Post
Ok....well, as long as we are being technical. This technically belongs in the bitching thread. I should have just said that to begin with instead of trying to have a discussion just for you to ignore the points I was making and instead fixate on the almanac/almanack thing. It was supposed to be a gentle ribbing, not the main point of my post; However, you seem to be very defensive about it so I am moving on.
I don't necessarily take too kindly to people telling me I'm incorrect when I'm not. Not many people do, actually.

Aside from that, I don't feel this belongs in the bitching thread per say because again, I'm not bitching about it. I was 1. pointing it out and 2. curious to see if anyone else noticed the numerous errors and issues.
J Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #12
ColdSpider72
 
ColdSpider72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Port, Fl
Posts: 1,996

ColdSpider72's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   Donator - Level 1   Over Achiever - Silver   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Lo View Post
Aside from that, I don't feel this belongs in the bitching thread per say because again, I'm not bitching about it. I was 1. pointing it out and 2. curious to see if anyone else noticed the numerous errors and issues.

Come on man, calling something piss poor is considered bitching. 'pointing out' something that you aren't happy with in the game is exactly what everyone in the bitching thread is doing. You really like to wax semantics, huh?
ColdSpider72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:19 PM   #13
J Lo
 
J Lo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Melrose, NJ
Posts: 1,593

VictimOfDesire's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun72 View Post
Come on man, calling something piss poor is considered bitching. 'pointing out' something that you aren't happy with in the game is exactly what everyone in the bitching thread is doing. You really like to wax semantics, huh?
No, it's describing how something operates.

And indeed I do. English minor...

By the way, that Assassin's Guild contract's description I was talking about earlier reads as follows:

"See that they men who fought for their freedom get it what was promised to them"

Last edited by J Lo; 12-07-2012 at 09:48 PM.
J Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #14
h1ck0k
 
h1ck0k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7

h1ck0k's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun72 View Post
I didn't realize we were living in the 18th century. I wasn't being a smartass, I was actually agreeing with you. I just didn't think it necessary to use a seriously archaic and never official spelling for the word, simply because they once did over 200 years ago.

A proofreader would change it to 'almanac' since that is the accepted and official spelling, so the point still stands. Do a bit more research and you will see that almanack was and still is considered a misspelling.
Actually, he did not write "almanac", he wrote "Poor Richard's Almanack", which is the title of the work.
You do not change the title of the work because the spelling has changed since it was written.

And no proofreader would do that.
h1ck0k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #15
ColdSpider72
 
ColdSpider72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Port, Fl
Posts: 1,996

ColdSpider72's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   Donator - Level 1   Over Achiever - Silver   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by h1ck0k View Post
Actually, he did not write "almanac", he wrote "Poor Richard's Almanack", which is the title of the work.
You do not change the title of the work because the spelling has changed since it was written.

And no proofreader would do that.
He wrote that once. You apparently didn't read his entire posts where he mentioned 'almanacks' (plural) in general. This is the only reason I was ribbing him about it....because it was starting to appear as if he actually spells it that way and not just in the context of 'Poor Richard's Almanack'. Quoting the title is one thing, spelling it that way when not quoting directly from it is different. It wasn't supposed to be a big deal, however, since you want to chime in, here are the instances I mentioned:



Quote:
Originally Posted by J Lo View Post
Going through this game, I would read EVERYTHING that was provided to me; subtitles, Animus Databases entries, Almanacks, everything and anything text based because it interested me so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Lo View Post
To stay within the theme of the topic, I should inform you that I'm an English minor with a strong suit in 18th century literature (particularly poetry) and having read these almanacks outside of the game, the spelling is interchangeable, but for argument's sake, here's a picture of the actual cover of one of the alamanacks:
The only correct use of the word is the cover of the almanac he posted, since that is the actual representation of the art and also when he directly quoted 'Poor Richard's Almanack'. Everything else was descriptive, which does not require a word for word, letter for letter match to the 'art'.

If you are going to bump a dropped topic to stir it up again, make sure you actually read the entire posts first.
ColdSpider72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:25 PM   #16
Crimson Ridley
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,121

Awards Showcase Subscriber - Bronze   Staff Club - DEG23   Over Achiever - Platinum   Staff Club - dakisbac   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Lo View Post
No, it's describing how something operates.

And indeed I do. English minor...
Your whole reason for posting this thread was to show off the fact that you're just an English minor, wasn't it? You've stated it twice now. I honestly can't imagine why a person would show off about it though.

Have you ever played a Harvest Moon game? There are translation issues, incorrect punctuation, and grammatical errors throughout the game; even more so than the small errors you have posted here. Just because this game is a very popular title, you feel that you need to highlight the errors?

I could sit here and point out every single error you have made in your posts, while you continue to sit and ridicule the errors in the game, but I'll bite my tongue for once.

You can't joke about becoming their proofreader, when you can't even proofread your own words.
Crimson Ridley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 08:49 PM.