PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password
 

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Subscribe    Donate

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 04:59 AM   #1
yourbreakfast99
 
yourbreakfast99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,052

Breakfas's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Should i get it

is this game worth $12. liked skyrim a lot and would like opinions
yourbreakfast99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:00 AM   #2
DOOKH8R
 
DOOKH8R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 4,509

DOOKH8R's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Over Achiever - Bronze   Staff Club - Minty   2,500 Posts   Donator - Level 4   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbreakfast99 View Post
is this game worth $12. liked skyrim a lot and would like opinions
Its worth 10 times that much.
__________________
DOOKH8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:02 AM   #3
xKRAIZEEMANx
 
xKRAIZEEMANx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: In An Existential Nightmare
Posts: 1,702

xKRAIZEEMANx's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
The game is extremely dated (graphically), especially compared to Skyrim. Aside from that, it is a great game, and The Shivering Isles DLC/Expansion, was really awesome (IMO). For that price, I say go for it....
__________________





xKRAIZEEMANx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:07 AM   #4
HTownBoi
 
HTownBoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 135

HTownBoi's Gamercard
BUY. Hands down for $12 you won't find a better deal for a game of this caliber.
__________________
100% Complete
34-Retail
7-Arcade


4000th- Bossk, defeat 200 wookies, Force Unleashed
5000th-Just Saying Hi, Farted on every buddy in the game, South Park: TSOT
HTownBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:34 AM   #5
Jakethemuss
 
Jakethemuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 923

Thepercenter's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by xKRAIZEEMANx View Post
The game is extremely dated (graphically), especially compared to Skyrim. Aside from that, it is a great game, and The Shivering Isles DLC/Expansion, was really awesome (IMO). For that price, I say go for it....
This.

Don't be expecting a game on the level of Skyrim (graphics and gameplay-wise) or else you'll feel sorely let down, but for the hours of gameplay you can get from it that is a tiny sum of money to play.

Do it!
__________________
Retail Games with 100% completion : 50
Arcade Games with 100% completion: 7

________________________________________

Currently looking to boost; Condemned 2, Crackdown co-op

Info for potential multiplayer pals; I am a UK brah so go by 'GMT'
Jakethemuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #6
Wahngott
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3

Wahngott's Gamercard
I think for 12$ you can't make anything wrong with Oblivion. Fantastic Game, without any doubt. I love it.

But you should be aware that Oblivion feels different. It's graphics aren't that bad, but as the others said, it is outdated. Also the gameplay and combat is not like in Skyrim, but still playable.

(i did the step from Oblivion to Morrowind. It was painful to get into this horrible gamplay and combat system. xD But, it's a great game, though. And i don't think Skyrim -> Oblivion won't be that hard to adapt.)
Wahngott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
ChickinOnaChain
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,331

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Should you get?

Do you want it? Does it look like fun to you? Can you afford it?

If you answered YES to any of these...then get it.
__________________

ChickinOnaChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #8
Tsaako
 
Tsaako's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,056

tsaako's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I've yet to play skyrim but I find this a decent game, I picked it up for 9.99 last week. Not a bad purchase tbh.
Tsaako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:32 AM   #9
ICT Venom
 
ICT Venom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 90

ict venom's Gamercard
If you found the numerous mentions of the Oblivion Crisis from Skyrim as an interesting idea, then you will enjoy it. I personally think Oblivion, in terms of story and replayability, is a much deeper game than Skyrim. It is somewhat outdated, but it still looked great when I booted it up about a month ago. It also has several things I wish would've been kept in Skyrim (custom spells, the classic attributes that could be manipulated to make you a walking tank, more diverse enemies, challenge of scaling enemies). Combat is not quite the same as you can go either sword and shield or a two handed weapon (one spell is always active and is used with RB). Overall, I prefer Oblivion to Skyrim any day One of my favorite games ever!
ICT Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:10 PM   #10
ChipmunksRus
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 206

SquirrelPenguin's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT Venom View Post
If you found the numerous mentions of the Oblivion Crisis from Skyrim as an interesting idea, then you will enjoy it. I personally think Oblivion, in terms of story and replayability, is a much deeper game than Skyrim. It is somewhat outdated, but it still looked great when I booted it up about a month ago. It also has several things I wish would've been kept in Skyrim (custom spells, the classic attributes that could be manipulated to make you a walking tank, more diverse enemies, challenge of scaling enemies). Combat is not quite the same as you can go either sword and shield or a two handed weapon (one spell is always active and is used with RB). Overall, I prefer Oblivion to Skyrim any day One of my favorite games ever!
I love you for saying you prefer Oblivion to Skyrim. To be honest I hated Skyrim and don't really know why, probably because it's insanely shallowed compared to Oblivion.
__________________
RIP Halo Multiplayer.

ChipmunksRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:20 PM   #11
Danny the hero
 
Danny the hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 117

Danny the hero's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbreakfast99 View Post
is this game worth $12. liked skyrim a lot and would like opinions
your picture is oblivion, so I think you are obligated to play and beat it.
Danny the hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #12
CHIRUNO99
 
CHIRUNO99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,286

chiruno99's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I find it more enjoyable than Skyrim for some reason. Mostly because I've played it longer and I know a lot more about it. Also Skyrim really helps you out a lot with perks to make your character more powerful where as Oblivion you just run on pure skill.

The Elder Scrolls series are really good games, try and find Morrowind as well.
__________________


Damn I'm so depressed.
CHIRUNO99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:43 AM   #13
Stewie Griffin2
 
Stewie Griffin2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 2,096

Stew1e Griffin2's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I wish I only had to pay 12 bucks for Oblivion

Even though this thread is over a month old, I'll add my 2 cents. If you enjoyed Skyrim, then you should like Oblivion. As others have said, the graphics of 7 years ago aren't on par with Skyrim, but even today there's not many games that are. As far as gameplay, it's comparable. While there's no dual wielding weapons, you don't have to spend one of those slots on a spell, as you've always got one equipped. Plus, I feel like it steers you toward actually using more tactics, as I feel like dual wielding leads to button-mashing, which can get very boring.

Story-wise, you can't beat Oblivion. The quest lines are all very good, especially the Dark Brotherhood. None of them feel like petty bullshit like the civil war does (to me at least). Plus you get the Arena, which is a blast to play through and serves as a great way to level your character.

Basically it comes down to you need to go in with different expectations than what you saw in Skyrim. I've started a new Oblivion character 2-3 times a year for the past 5 years just because I got an itch to play while I'm still on my first Skyrim character. Some of the DLC for Oblivion don't add much in terms of play time, but each does add a unique home for your characters (the merchant added by the Battlehorn Castle add-on was worth what I paid without anything else). Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles were both outstanding and add 8+hours apiece.

Basically, for $12, get it.
Stewie Griffin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #14
bigbear2face
 
bigbear2face's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 2,397

bigbear2face's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Just be ready for a very different experience from Skyrim in some key areas.

Most people have already explicitly stated, or hinted, at most of them but I will add one more:

The leveling system is significantly different in Oblivion and can make the game much more difficult then it needs to be if you don't pay careful attention to how you level. There are several guides throughout this forum that can help.
__________________

Alea Iacta Est
MAL


Awesome pic provided by Dirty130
bigbear2face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:55 AM   #15
upNyaF4C3
 
upNyaF4C3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 55

sho sairyoku's Gamercard
Of course! But be careful with your choices in the game! I got screwed out of A LOT of achievement points!
upNyaF4C3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:18 AM   #16
Goblin93
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 110
im late on this but this game is so worth it...favorite RPG on the 360 for me...but i agree on the choices...i was stuck having to beat the game on level two because id turn to vampire and would slowly die
Goblin93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #17
alexthelion32
 
alexthelion32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5

alexthelion32's Gamercard
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbreakfast99 View Post
is this game worth $12. liked skyrim a lot and would like opinions
definitely man - not as good graphically and skill and level system bit different but worth it
alexthelion32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #18
Dog Face
 
Dog Face's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Heartland
Posts: 1,326

In Marshall's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Silver   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xKRAIZEEMANx View Post
The game is extremely dated (graphically), especially compared to Skyrim. Aside from that, it is a great game, and The Shivering Isles DLC/Expansion, was really awesome (IMO). For that price, I say go for it....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakethemuss View Post
This.

Don't be expecting a game on the level of Skyrim (graphics and gameplay-wise) or else you'll feel sorely let down, but for the hours of gameplay you can get from it that is a tiny sum of money to play.

Do it!
To me the graphics look better on Oblivion compared to Skyrim. Maybe because Oblivion offers more in the world rather than endless hills and emptiness of Skyrim.
Dog Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:02 AM   #19
Siphon Filther
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 65

Siphon Filther's Gamercard
i think you should NOT get it. this game is a total crap. I'm a big fan of RPG games but this one litterally drove me crazy.
1. Quests are short, meaningless and overlap each other (to me happened that i was going to talk to somebody in order to trigger a quest and another quest triggered instead)
2. the game itself is super bugged. Weird and unexpected things happen all the time and they compromise your quest. the result is an endless frustration.
3. it takes forever to load.
4. if your character gets "vampirism" you are doomed. It took me litterally a week to get a cure for it and instead of fun i got only frustrated because was so freaking difficult.
5. you go to jail for nothing and you have to resume you quest over 1000 times.
6. the controls are not precise and sometimes you die or you go to jail because the camera doesn't point where you want.
7. you cannot fast travel everywhere and everytime you have to move to a specific location for a quest you may be forced to hug useless mountains or walk for hours.

I don't understand why everybody love this game. To me is totally overrated.

Last edited by Siphon Filther; 12-18-2012 at 01:04 AM.
Siphon Filther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:48 AM   #20
Akir388
 
Akir388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: California
Posts: 193

Akir388's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Yes, I would highly recommend The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion to fans of Skyrim and RPG games. The graphics do not compare to Skyrim since it is a much newer game. However, I would say that the story and quests in Oblivion are far more superior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siphon Filther View Post
i think you should NOT get it. this game is a total crap. I'm a big fan of RPG games but this one litterally drove me crazy.
1. Quests are short, meaningless and overlap each other (to me happened that i was going to talk to somebody in order to trigger a quest and another quest triggered instead)
2. the game itself is super bugged. Weird and unexpected things happen all the time and they compromise your quest. the result is an endless frustration.
3. it takes forever to load.
4. if your character gets "vampirism" you are doomed. It took me litterally a week to get a cure for it and instead of fun i got only frustrated because was so freaking difficult.
5. you go to jail for nothing and you have to resume you quest over 1000 times.
6. the controls are not precise and sometimes you die or you go to jail because the camera doesn't point where you want.
7. you cannot fast travel everywhere and everytime you have to move to a specific location for a quest you may be forced to hug useless mountains or walk for hours.

I don't understand why everybody love this game. To me is totally overrated.
I respect your opinion, but I disagree wholeheartedly.
  1. Quests are short and meaningless? We must be playing a different game. I feel the opposite. You will hear time and time again how great the storyline and quests are in Oblivion. There is a reason for that.
  2. I only recall encountering one or two glitches, which is amazing considering the size of the game. I put in hundreds of hours with more than one character.
  3. Yes, loading times are a tad lengthy, but you are given tips/info while you wait. The wait time has to be, what, 20 seconds at most? I think most people can handle that.
  4. Curing Vampirism is one of the longest quests in the game, but you are hardly doomed. Once you are cured you cannot become one again. If someone is having trouble I recommend a quick Google search.
  5. You only go to jail if you get caught. Sneaking is incredibly easy in this game. If you have to kill someone make sure there are no witnesses.
  6. Huh? Never had any problems like that.
  7. You cannot fast travel unless you have discovered the location. I don't see how that is so awful.
Oblivion was the first game that got me really interested in gaming and achievement hunting. It was the first game I got 100% on as well.
__________________

Sig made by Gackt
Akir388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #21
Siphon Filther
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 65

Siphon Filther's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akir388 View Post
Yes, I would highly recommend The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion to fans of Skyrim and RPG games. The graphics do not compare to Skyrim since it is a much newer game. However, I would say that the story and quests in Oblivion are far more superior.



I respect your opinion, but I disagree wholeheartedly.
  1. Quests are short and meaningless? We must be playing a different game. I feel the opposite. You will hear time and time again how great the storyline and quests are in Oblivion. There is a reason for that.
  2. I only recall encountering one or two glitches, which is amazing considering the size of the game. I put in hundreds of hours with more than one character.
  3. Yes, loading times are a tad lengthy, but you are given tips/info while you wait. The wait time has to be, what, 20 seconds at most? I think most people can handle that.
  4. Curing Vampirism is one of the longest quests in the game, but you are hardly doomed. Once you are cured you cannot become one again. If someone is having trouble I recommend a quick Google search.
  5. You only go to jail if you get caught. Sneaking is incredibly easy in this game. If you have to kill someone make sure there are no witnesses.
  6. Huh? Never had any problems like that.
  7. You cannot fast travel unless you have discovered the location. I don't see how that is so awful.
Oblivion was the first game that got me really interested in gaming and achievement hunting. It was the first game I got 100% on as well.



Dear friend.
I insist on the subject and I want to be more specific about why I don't like this game at all.

1. About the first point. ok maybe I said wrongly. Quests are actually long but you spend 90% of the time just walking... walking to get the location, walking through some intricate dungeons that look all alike, walking for miles and miles and for what? to kill a couple of enemies at the end of the dungeon or retrieve some artifacts. So I correct myself, quests are not short, just boring because of the long meaningless walk
2. About the glitches my experience is different form yours: just for the record I've been playing final fantasy 13, which is 4 times bigger than Oblivion. It took me 172 hours for the completion but I never EVER had any problem, i haven't even spotted a single typo in subtitles. In Oblivion, after 70 hours, I got something like 10 blocking issues whose results was either to start over the quest or find a way on the internet to complete it. And I still haven't finished the game. Most of the issues were caused by the characters that were not responsive or the game freezed without reason, or entered in a loop (for example in "allies for bruma", count of Skingard never showed up even though I was told he would be there shortly and when after 2 days waiting (game time) I went to look for him in the castle I got arrested for trespassing. When I finally made it without being caught, i talked to him to obtain infos, but the quest didn't update and I couldn't continue because the map marker was out of place). The last quest of the thieves guild has something like 16 known issues (16 functional bugs in one single quest!!!), partially fixed by the unofficial oblivion patch that fixed other 1800 bugs, again, most of them, functional. 1800 bugs means that this game is full of holes.
3. My waiting record for loading a location is exactly 4 minutes and a half. It takes less than 20 seconds only if I'm relatively close to my destination (when I cross a door for example) but if I have to fast travel among cities it takes really forever to load, average i would say more than a minute each time... and reading the tips in those moments doesn't make the time pass faster, also because after a while you learn all of them by heart.
4. I got rid of vampirism only finding the right informations on forums. if you play oblivion for the first time and you never heard about vampirism (like me) you just keep dying without reason, which is really frustrating. To find a cure you must travel from city to city and you end up just travelling here and there constantly looking for some beggars to suck blood from and always scared you don't have enough time to complete your task. Add, the loading time, add the waiting time, add the "messing around" time, add the inevitable "jail time" and you'll have a game in which you actually do nothing but waiting and walking around...
5. You go to jail for stealing, for attacking somebody, for trespassing and for a number of other reasons and everytime you resume the game from the jail you miss some items because they have been confiscated. That force you to repeat the quest, or at least part of it.
6. Never heard of it? not even when you have to swim underwater and the camera is either above your head and your character gets stuck because the RS doesn't work anymore or under your body and you don't see where are you going?
7. In Oblivion you travel a lot. But you cannot fast travel if: 1-you are inside a house\shop\tavern\dungeon; 2-you haven't found the location. 3-there are enemies around. 4-you are trespassing. 95% of the cases you are in one of those situations. That means the vastity of the oblivion world map is more something to regret than to enjoy.

I'm a big fan of RPG games, and I love doing quests and I choose oblivion because everybody says it's a blast. But for the above mentioned reasons this game is literally making me furious instead of entertaining me. I'm open to admit that since my opinion doesn't match with most of the game community, I may have missed something and actually one of the good things of this game is its story line which is pretty well done. But 70 hours of gameplay didn't made me fall in love with it

Last edited by Siphon Filther; 12-18-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Siphon Filther is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 06:09 PM.