Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Discussion Boards > Kinect
Subscribe    Donate

Old 01-21-2012, 01:33 AM   #1
SIHuze

SIHuze's Gamercard
Kinect Zoom

Sorry if someone else posted about this, I serched but didn't find anything. Santa got the kids a Kinect for the kids this year and because of the limited space that we have I picked up the Kinect Zoom. The problem is it worksfor me but the Kinect dosn't see my kids. When we tried to set up the tracking you can see them but it doesn't do the blue stick figure overlay. Anyone have any experience with this?
SIHuze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
azurebAt

azurebAt's Gamercard
I had problems as well. It would never see the floor no matter what I did and made Kinect completely unusable. This may have been because my Kinect is on top of the TV. If you have room to put it elsewhere it might work fine.
azurebAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:08 AM   #3
SIHuze

SIHuze's Gamercard
If it is on top it can see me. When I moved it down it doesn't work att all. I think it has to do with my size. I'm six foot one and around 300 pounds my kids are around four foot and maybe 60 pound if they just had dinner. Sence the zoom narrows the kinect's feeld of view I think I'm still wide enouf to track and that kids are so skinny that to it they disappear.
SIHuze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #4
summeranne

UncreativeNym's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
We returned ours, it didn't track any of us properly.
summeranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:21 AM   #5
FuzzyLump502

FuzzyLump502's Gamercard
I'm glad I read this as I was going to buy one tomorrow...
FuzzyLump502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:47 AM   #6
newbsicle

zymotic's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Nyko uses a cheap clear plastic for the lenses. That's why there are some that work well like it's intended and then there others with minor reflective issues that make it completely unusable. I'm taking my chances and I will post back on whether it works or not. If it doesn't work I plan on taking it back until I get one that does.

Edit: I planned on buying one, but so far I haven't ran into any space limitation issues which would prompt me into purchasing a zoom.

Last edited by newbsicle; 05-18-2012 at 09:54 PM.
newbsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
eli1277

eli1277's Gamercard

Awards Showcase SOTF Runner Up
I have one and it works great for me and my kids. They can now stand much closer to the TV when playing the games.

eli1277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #8
10below

TheyKilledFRITZ's Gamercard
The one I have works fine, too. Got mine from BestBuy. Two-player action can be a little tight, though, with bumping elbows, etc.

I have mine mounted about 3 ft off the ground.

Based on the online reviews the Zoom gets, it definitely looks like a random quality issue with some working well and others not.

My Kinect, with Zoom does not see my 30" tall, 20 lb, 15 mo old, but then again, the instructions that came with the Kinect say you have to be so big to play.
10below is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:02 PM   #9
Dps120390

dps120390's Gamercard
i dont have one but i know the two problems that occur even without the zoom for the kinect is the amount of space you have and also the lighting takes into effect, if its too light or too dark the kinect can't see you properly , i have the same problem once in a while, and sometime depending on the time of day when the sun hit the room, it make the kinect "trip out"
Dps120390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:13 PM   #10
wolfburns

Send a message via AIM to wolfburns Send a message via MSN to wolfburns

Wolfburns's Gamercard
I had only heard great amazing things about the nyko zoom so I guess its good to finally read some of the bad things. I've been recommending it to all my friends who have space issues but want Kinect and I guess now I've gotta tell them to plump up now too.
wolfburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #11
ashleary

Send a message via MSN to ashleary

ashleyleary's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze
I bought one of these as I had to move my kinect from a large room to a smaller room. I was a little bit sceptical after reading mixed reviews but (touch wood) I've had no real issues with it.

It is recommended that you have the kinect at the bottom of your TV and not on it whilst using the Nyko attachment, this is something to bear in mind.
Amstrad CPC 464, Game Boy, SNES, Dreamcast, GBA XBOX, PSP, XBOX 360
Please follow @mouseymessages on Twitter
ashleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #12
Calamadia

Tsuki Neko141's Gamercard
I was thinking of purchasing one of these myself, my Kinect is about three feet off the ground, below my TV. I'm just under five feet tall. I wonder if it would have any trouble picking me up. I'm tired of pushing all my furniture around and I really want to play Haunt. If the lighting in the room you play in is already sufficent, it should also be so when using the Zoom, correct?
Calamadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #13
ashleary

Send a message via MSN to ashleary

ashleyleary's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamadia View Post
I was thinking of purchasing one of these myself, my ...it should also be so when using the Zoom, correct?
My Kinect sits on my desk (about 2 1/2 feet off the ground) I stand about 6 foot away from it and it picks me up fine and I'm 6"2

I was really surprised at the small amount of room needed to play with the Zoom on.

Made me very
Amstrad CPC 464, Game Boy, SNES, Dreamcast, GBA XBOX, PSP, XBOX 360
Please follow @mouseymessages on Twitter
ashleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:45 PM   #14
StrongoFYB

strongofyb's Gamercard
Guess I'm just unlucky, haven't been able to get the zoom working for me. Makes everything jumpy so it's impossible to move/make menu selections/do anything really.
StrongoFYB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #15
volcanogirl73

Bad4urhealth73's Gamercard
I am in a smaller apartment and we got the Zoom to help with the limited space, but found that the sensor works better without it. I had to stand about 2 feet from the TV which doesn't give much room to move. Without it, I am closer to the furniture, but I have more room.

I think it just depends on what your setup is in your play space. Using the tuner gave me a better idea of what one works best.
volcanogirl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #16
StarsRPD

Eskobar M92's Gamercard
I have not got it to work properly. It say can't see the floor. Edit finally passed the tracking test and it works well. Turn off the lights it might help.

Old account 200k+ region glitched. Xbox Support is useless

Last edited by StarsRPD; 12-09-2012 at 05:09 PM.
StarsRPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #17
cguit

ya not good

Everything I have read says its poo poo. Even the guy in the store said it was sort of useless and best to work with the bar in original state. I used to work in an electronics store and we got a lot of those returned too.
cguit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:39 PM   #18
nd1983

nd1983's Gamercard
i have the nyko zoom and use it every once in a while, seems to track ok but i have my kinect mounted to my ceiling and way back behind the TV. thats a trick i learned from an Xbox tech, if mounted behind the tv and up in a wall-ceiling point it can add 1-3 feet in extra distance for smaller rooms.

I find the trick to the nyko is to calibrate the kinect without it on and then attach it so, as to just zoom in.
nd1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:22 AM   #19
Venomyuc

venomz01's Gamercard
Nyko zoom didn't worked for me.it recognises us better without it.
Venomyuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #20
DeadlySpade

Deadly Spade's Gamercard
I bought one. It only tracked my feet nothing. I've tried it in different lighting and have moved the sensor from top off Tv to bottom and it still does nothing.. Worst 30 dollars I ever spent. Tried to return it to best buy and they wouldn't take it back instead they offered to send a technician to install it. So I give it a 1/10
DeadlySpade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:50 PM   #21
Druppie4Delta

Druppie4delta's Gamercard
Hello.........
Druppie4Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:50 PM   #22
Druppie4Delta

Druppie4delta's Gamercard
Hello...........
Druppie4Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:39 AM   #23
v_thorne

Verkolac Thorne's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Word of Mouth   A+ Thread Award   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
I'm gonna try out what that one guy above me said about setting up the calibration before attaching the zoom...

I just got the zoom today and I've noticed that my right hand really glitches out. It looks like my avatar has severe tourettes. When playing Haunt I have to hold the flashlight in my left hand and not my right or it goes all over the place. I figured out that since the lens takes in more area space, it's recognizing my black night stand. I threw a pair of pants over the night stand and it seemed to mostly fix the issue.

All in all, it does give more room to play. At least another foot, foot and a half. I have about five feet of play space and with the zoom I can stand in the middle of the area and not have to keep banging my calves up against my bed while playing. But I too am having various tracking issues. If you have mostly black furniture, it's going to be harder. My floors are also tile, so they reflect the lighting which also causes issues.
v_thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:45 AM   #24
Crimson x360a
Banned User

Crimson x360a's Gamercard
My buddy had to pick up one for his setup and his works great.
Crimson x360a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:20 AM   #25
SparTEn85

I had a similar problem but then it worked perfectly after reattaching the zoom and making sure all the lens lined up correctly.
SparTEn85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:28 AM   #26
VitaminAmy

VitaminAmy's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Subscriber - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Donator - Level 1   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Silver   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
Mine doesn't work for me no matter what... I know it's installed correctly it just won't recognize me at all. Seems like it's very hit or miss.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:06 PM   #27
Rohitkumar

Change your lens, it will make some clarity and zoom additional to it so will easily would detect everything.
Rohitkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #28
Akuza

Akuza89's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
i have a nyko zoom on mine.

when i first got it, the lens was reflecting like people said, but i returned it and got a new one and this works like a charm, can't complain what so ever.

i can't use it in my bedroom still (as its mega small) - but i can use it in a smaller space than the living room now, and ive had mine since i first got my kinect.
Kill La Kill
FLCL
Old 05-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #29
airbornespoon

Airborne Sp00n's Gamercard
I have one of the zoom's and it works great for me. haven't tried 2 player but in my small room I dono if I could even do 2 player.
airbornespoon is offline   Reply With Quote