PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Discussion Boards > Kinect
Subscribe    Donate

Old 11-23-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
AmbaLaBamba

AmbaLaBamba's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   Over Achiever - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
How durable is the Kinect?

Yeah it happened... just sorting out the wires at the back of my TV so I could record some gameplay and I accidentally tugged on the Kinect wire and it fell off the top of the TV. Luckily a pile of wires broke some of it's fall but I'm worried that I may have broken something.

I heard a few clicks, thought I've read some information stating this is just the gears inside the Kinect having to be forced to move. I've tried playing a Kinect game and it has adjusted itself somewhat without any noise etc but has anyone else done this with their Kinect by accident and has it survived long?

I don't use it often but I don't know what I'd do without it.

AmbaLaBamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:11 PM   #2
Foxxy kyle

Foxxy Kyle's Gamercard

Awards Showcase You ARE the Controller Challenge Club - Tier 1   Road Map - Platinum   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Diamond   Micro Guide - Silver   XBA Promoter   2,500 Posts   Achievement Guide - Gold   Over Achiever - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   A+ Thread Award   Bright Idea
Total Awards: 12 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbaLaBamba View Post
Yeah it happened... just sorting out the wires at the back of my TV so I could record some gameplay and I accidentally tugged on the Kinect wire and it fell off the top of the TV. Luckily a pile of wires broke some of it's fall but I'm worried that I may have broken something.

I heard a few clicks, thought I've read some information stating this is just the gears inside the Kinect having to be forced to move. I've tried playing a Kinect game and it has adjusted itself somewhat without any noise etc but has anyone else done this with their Kinect by accident and has it survived long?

I don't use it often but I don't know what I'd do without it.
My guess was it was the kinect head being forced to move when it is supposed to be moved automatically. Should be no big deal, my friend moved mine down because he didn't know it adjusted by itself and it made a not good sounding clicking noise, but my kinect still works just fine. I wouldn't imagine it being super durable but my guess is, since the fall was broke by some cords, you should be fine.

Last edited by Foxxy kyle; 11-23-2012 at 11:36 PM. Reason: typos up the yinyang
Foxxy kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:54 AM   #3
Vyrthur

Vyrthur's Gamercard
My Kinect Xbox360 has lasted a year without any problems, i have mine on the floor so it wont fall down or anything.
Vyrthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:03 AM   #4
AmbaLaBamba

AmbaLaBamba's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   Over Achiever - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
Thanks! I have it connected up at all times, so every now and again I give a little wave in front of it to see if the camera still works etc. Seems to still be good up to now, going to try an actual game with it soon.

AmbaLaBamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #5
psikoh

FanciestSix10's Gamercard
When I first got my Kinect I moved the camera up and down (for a while getting the position 'just' right) thinking I had to position it manually. Once I turned it on and it started moving itself I was crapping myself thinking I'd broken it. It still works fine and hasn't missed a beat. Been about 2 years or so now.
psikoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #6
CuteTXKitty

Send a message via Yahoo to CuteTXKitty

cuteTXkitty's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Ours is very durable. It's fallen a couple of times and it's still working with no problems.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:38 PM   #7
amypr10

Amy Rock Angel's Gamercard
i have mine connected every time since i bought it 2 years ago, one day it fell but continued its function properly, so its supposed to be very as foxxy said it should not be a big deal try using very mobile games just to check hows functioning
amypr10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:17 AM   #8
Krocodillian

Krocodillian's Gamercard
Mine fell of the top of the TV a while ago - it wasn't a big fall, just the height of the TV.
It looks fine but doesn't work properly anymore, it's unable to track my movements accurately, and almost impossible to play any games with as I can't get the hand curser to stay over any menu options long enough for it to select.
Krocodillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #9
Venomyuc

venomz01's Gamercard
Mine was dropped only once but it's inner motor damaged pretty good.I thinks it's all about luck in this case.
Venomyuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:16 PM   #10
x SL4YER x

x SL4YER x's Gamercard
dropped mine allso so far it is ok
x SL4YER x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #11
JimmyBR

Send a message via MSN to JimmyBR

James A Dutra's Gamercard
I did the same "moving" mistake during the installation. I forced it up and heard some clicks... only after the poweron I realized it moves automatically
Well, it worked... and it stills working for 2 years now...
JimmyBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #12
NeKrArXe

NeKrArXe's Gamercard
My cat knocked it off the TV. It landed upside down on the tile floor and still works fine.

I think like others have said its kinda luck. If it falls just right I can see it getting damaged. Especially the gearbox and movement system.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:39 AM   #13
Crimson x360a
Banned User

Crimson x360a's Gamercard
I dropped mine from about five feet everything works. I must be lucky.
Crimson x360a is offline   Reply With Quote