PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Party > American Mensa Academy
Subscribe    Donate

Old 12-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
The Bovine Moos

The Bovine Moos's Gamercard
Question Reviews please?

I'm thinking of picking this up as my flatmate isn't a gamer, but does like puzzles and what not.

Opinions on this if you've bought it?

Cheers,
--Bovine.

The Bovine Moos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
Fixelbucket

Fixelbucket's Gamercard
I guess I can give my two cents on at least Play Mode of this game.

I find it somewhat enjoyable but as with other brainteasing games it gets quite repetitive and borderline boring after a while. Treating it with a more casual approach might just do the trick however.

The difficulty is one thing that put me off toward the higher levels of the 5 groups of challenges in Play Mode. (which is the only mode I've completed when writing this) The last 5 levels or so in each group is damn near impossible without paper and a pen and the frequent use of the pause button. The fact that english is not my first language might play a part in the challenges with the words but in the other groups (Logic for example) the timer becomes the issue. Being able to see 2 different patterns in a link of different colored shapes with up to 35 different shapes is not something I could do without pausing and writing stuff down.

Don't know if this "review" is of any help to you but I don't regret buying the game and if your friend likes breanteasers and is more casual than me he might enjoy it quite a bit. Expect some frustration though because my "hardcore" nature is the reason that I didn't give up as the difficulty went up.

Fixelbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
Aphrodite1

Sublimosis's Gamercard
I concur with Fixelbucket's summary. I've played this for a few hours now, and yes the last set of rounds (16-20) in the Play mode for each category are very hard. But the advantage is you can pause the game and write stuff down (with a pocket calculator on standby). This is absolutely essential for the numeracy tests, as its impossible to get the 3* with the timer constraints. So far I've done literacy and numeracy 3* on all 20 levels. The Coach mode is rounds of the one style game only (eg just anagrams or sorting out pieces of words to make a full word). These increase in difficulty from Bronze to Gold. But if you've done the play modes all 3* these shouldn't be too bad.

The IQ test mode looks to ramp the difficulty up again. I noticed that some of the arithmetic ones are harder than in Play and Coach mode.The good news is you can also pause the IQ test mode as well, which will make getting that IQ of 160 a bit easier.

This game is going to be a slog for the full 400G, and not that easy as the 1 post wonder in the other thread claims.

Currently working on:

Retail: Bioshock Infinite
Arcade: Brothers, Mickey Castle of Illusion, Walking Dead Season 2

Last edited by Aphrodite1; 01-08-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Aphrodite1 is offline   Reply With Quote