PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Adventure > Alan Wake > The Writer
Subscribe    Donate

Old 10-20-2010, 07:42 AM   #1
Tyger7
Moderator and Guide Staff

Send a message via AIM to Tyger7 Send a message via MSN to Tyger7 Send a message via Yahoo to Tyger7 Send a message via Skype™ to Tyger7

tyger7's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Micro Guide - Gold   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   5,000 Posts   Submit - Silver   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - Tyger7   The Helping Hand   Referrals - Silver   Road Map - Diamond   Achievement Guide - Diamond   Staff - Collectibles Guide Team   A+ Thread Award
Total Awards: 17 (more» ...)
Achievement Guide and Roadmap

Roadmap

Overview:
-Estimated achievement difficulty: 4/10
-Offline: 9 (250)
-Online: 0
-Approximate amount of time to 200: 2-3 Hours
-Minimum number of playthroughs needed: 1 (It is highly likely you will need to do "No Punctuation" on another playthrough).
-Number of missable achievements: 6 (see Step 1 for more details).
-Do cheat codes disable achievements? No Cheats
-Does difficulty affect achievements? No
-Glitchy achievements: None
-Unobtainable achievements: None
-Extra equipment needed? This game costs 560 Microsoft Points and can be found on the Xbox Live marketplace. The download will take 477 MB of memory.

Introduction

The Writer (special episode 2) can be played on any difficulty. There are story related achievements, some collectibles, and a few missable achievements. The episode itself can be a little frustrating at points, as there are a lot more areas where you can fall off and die than in the normal game. It's likely you will be playing this episode 2 to 3 times or more depending on unlucky deaths.

Step 1: Playthrough 1: Collectibles and Misable Achievements

Start by opening this link HERE. It is a collectibles guide and will also walk you through the missable achievements (a total of 6 of them). The achievement guide itself will include videos for further help. Go through trying to gain what you can. Dying as well as reloading checkpoints if you are going to miss an achievement is good to do in order to save yourself from worrying about it later.

Step 2: Playthrough 2: No Puntuation

Now you should do your best to run through the episode perfectly. Check the achievement description in the guide for tips and more info on this specific playthrough. Remember, you have to do it in one sitting without dying.

Conclusion

With a few attempts you should be able to complete this episode and gain all of the associated achievements. If you still have anything left after gaining the No Punctuation achievement, you will have to replay again to those specific points. Refer to the videos if you're having a hard time understanding the written descriptions.
The things people say to get to 5 posts...

Xbox360 games I have
http://darkadia.com/member/tyger7/library

Last edited by Tyger7; 11-14-2010 at 05:05 AM.
Tyger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:09 AM   #2
Tyger7

Send a message via AIM to Tyger7 Send a message via MSN to Tyger7 Send a message via Yahoo to Tyger7 Send a message via Skype™ to Tyger7

tyger7's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Micro Guide - Gold   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   5,000 Posts   Submit - Silver   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - Tyger7   The Helping Hand   Referrals - Silver   Road Map - Diamond   Achievement Guide - Diamond   Staff - Collectibles Guide Team   A+ Thread Award
Ding! 5
Special 2: Complete the elevator ride

*Story related, can't be missed*

You will get this achievement when getting on the elevator after running through the spinning environment with all of the rooms.

Kill Your Darlings 50
Special 2: Defeat the final obstacle between you and your goal

*Story related, can't be missed*

The final encounter will consist of Taken in the form of a few of the characters from your memory. See "Iron Will" for more information.

Go Gentle Into That Good Light 25
Special 2: Make it through the approach to the lighthouse without firing a weapon

Once you use the word "Ignite" after Zane talks to you, you'll head up a hill with words that say "Clear" on them. You will want to use these as fast as you can, as it clears away the rocks blocking the lighthouse's light. This light will rotate in circles and kill the enemies. Dodge or run around and let the light kill the enemies, making sure you only use flares if anything. It is a pretty good distance, but eventually you will find a Safe Haven which is the end point. If you accidently fire a shot, reload your checkpoint.

No Punctuation 50
Special 2: Complete the episode without reloading the game or restarting a checkpoint

You can't die, reload, or continue later on for this achievement. Choose episodes from the start menu and pick "The Writer". Set the difficulty to normal. Below are tips in specific areas that may help.
  • When at the jumping or tilting world areas (when everything is spinning), make sure you take it slow. If you see a door, wait until you can walk through it instead of jumping down it.
  • In the area with the explosive barrels, you will have to do your best to time it right. Stay far back from the enemies and kill them if you used up the explosive words.
  • The gas station area should be completely avoided. Right when you get out of the door, run left to the Safe Haven Light.
  • When crossing the plane, jump down at the tail and jump inside the back. You can fight off Taken from here and they will only be able to throw things at you here and there. Make a break for it after.
  • The point with the well has unlimited flares near the car. Get a full stock before moving on.
  • If you see any other Safe Haven lights, make a break for it.
  • On the bridge with the "Crumble" words, go ahead and light those words up right when you see them as well as stay back. The enemies will sometimes fall in. There is a Safe Haven at the end of the bridge.
  • Be careful going up the final climb to the lighthouse. Use all of the "Clear" words and let the light kill all enemies.
  • The final battle doesn't require flashbangs, so you can use those for emergency any time you see fit. You should have a good amount of flares (maybe 6-10) to fend off the crows. This is where you should be using your batteries to your advantage to quickly take out the Taken Memories enemies.
Iron Will 25

Special 2: Survive the final encounter without being seriously hurt

You must finish the last scene without going into low health (being in the last quarter of life or lower). You must fight darkness infused characters from the story. Dr. Hartman, the Anderson brothers (both at once), and Barry. They are the in the form of the "fast" taken, that go blurry while moving quickly to different areas around you. Crows will also attack. Use flares if crows are attacking and do your best to dispose of the enemies quickly. Barry is the last of the encounter, and you will have to essentially defeat him 3 times. If you do fall into low health, I advise to reload your checkpoint and try again.

Whirlwind 20
Special 2: Make your way past the tornado in under 60 seconds

You will find the tornado right after going through the spinning cabin. A manuscript will fall from the sky and after you read it, you will be able to shine your light on the words to create a path. It's advised you use the walkway part in the first word nearest you. As you rotate, try to look up and light as many words as you can, while paying attention enough to create the next path. When you jump to the new area, you will hit a checkpoint and if you fail this achievement from this point, you must restart the whole episode. A bigger Taken will appear and attempt to just push you off the ledge. You should kill him quickly and run up to the next series of words to get to the next object you feel you can leap to. Once you create the last path, jump to it and the achievement will unlock if done quickly enough.

Licensed Properties 30
Special 2: Discover 10 Night Springs video games

These video games are the only form of collectibles in this episode. You do not have to worry about gathering anything else. To find them all, click on the link below.

Collectibles Guide

Creative Space 25
Special 2: Discover the secret area

You'll get to a plane with the word "Tremor" on it. Use it to cross the plane and keep to your left once on the other side. You'll see a fallen tree over a rocky area. Go through the narrow opening. You'll end up curving around a cliff and into a secret cave with a giant typewriter.

Heartbreaker 20
Special 2: Have some poison poured in your ear

You will get to a scene where Dr. Hartman is talking to you as a memory. After a long conversation, you must press on the recorder nearby and listen. Once it ends, the lights will turn on. Continue on and as Alan talks, the achievement will unlock.

Note: It's possible to skip this and continue on, so remember to stay until the conversation has ended and you have listened to the recorder before leaving.

Xbox360 games I have

Last edited by Tyger7; 11-14-2010 at 05:13 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:34 AM   #3
Tyger7

tyger7's Gamercard

Reserved in case of changes/modifications.

Xbox360 games I have
Old 10-20-2010, 10:48 AM   #4
Braddy J

Braddy J's Gamercard
"Special 2: Have some poison poured in your ear

*Story related, can't be missed*"

It can be missed, as I missed it!!
Braddy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:19 PM   #5
amacteur
In the sky

Send a message via Skype™ to amacteur

amacteur's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 2   Staff Club - amacteur   Staff - Graphics Team   Community Gaming - Silver   Family Corner Challenge Club - Tier 1   CABS Beta Tester   GRID 2 Award   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Micro Guide - Bronze   Subscriber - Bronze   Staff Club - Minty   Submit - Diamond
Total Awards: 15 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braddy J View Post
"Special 2: Have some poison poured in your ear

*Story related, can't be missed*"

It can be missed, as I missed it!!
Heh...? How could you miss this one as it's story related

Thx for the guide BTW
Old 10-20-2010, 02:21 PM   #6
Buruma

burumanet's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Bronze   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amacteur View Post
Heh...? How could you miss this one as it's story related
You can leave the room while they are still talking. Did that while going for No Punctuation. The tape recorder won't spawn if you leave early.
Buruma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:43 PM   #7
tunaleg

Tunaleg's Gamercard
Better written than that other guide. But "Heartbreaker" technically is missable
tunaleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:50 PM   #8
kestrel

Darth Kestrel's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Yeah, I missed Heartbreaker too (cause I was impatient!).
As always, great guide Tyger.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:00 PM   #9
Tyger7

tyger7's Gamercard

Okay, changed it. Had no clue you could leave.

Xbox360 games I have
Old 10-27-2010, 08:44 PM   #10
MadMaxxx123

Send a message via ICQ to MadMaxxx123

MadMaxxx's Gamercard
Ur guide is completely the same as mine. Why did you wrote it?
MadMaxxx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:49 AM   #11
w34ponx

w34ponx's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NCAA 07 - Silver
why did he wrote it lol ummmm i think that might be a clue as to why he did

100% retail: King Kong, NFS most wanted, COD 2, NHL 2k6, Fight Night, College Hoops 2k6, Full Auto, Madden 06, Blazing Angels, NBA 2k6, MLB 2k6, X-Men, Burnout Revenge, Hitman Blood Money, Top Spin 2, NBA Street, TMNT, FIFA 06, Fusion Freenzy 2, The Bigs, Open Season, Dirt, Madden 08, Lego Star Wars, Lego Star Wars TCS, NCAA Football 08, NHL 07, Lost, COD 4, Madden 09
w34ponx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:57 AM   #12
Tyger7

tyger7's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMaxxx123 View Post
Ur guide is completely the same as mine. Why did you wrote it?
Why do people always think this! I have provided different methods, my own collectibles guide, all my own videos, a pretty different road map. I have explained some of them in depth, put hints in bullets, and have worded things very different. I've done guides for this game every single time I'm not copying anyone, I did all my own work, I just take my time usually when writing so it takes me a few days instead of throwing up a skeleton and adding stuff as I go along. I like having it all done usually, so I started one, you had put one up, but I wasn't just going to say "screw it" and delete everything I wrote. Not a big deal though, it's good to have multiple guides! Not trying to bash yours by making my own.

Xbox360 games I have

Last edited by Tyger7; 10-29-2010 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:31 AM   #13
emul8ter25

emul8ter25's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger7 View Post
Why do people always think this! I have provided different methods, my own collectibles guide, all my own videos, a pretty different road map. I have explained some of them in depth, put hints in bullets, and have worded things very different. I've done guides for this game every single time I'm not copying anyone, I did all my own work, I just take my time usually when writing so it takes me a few days instead of throwing up a skeleton and adding stuff as I go along. I like having it all done usually, so I started one, you had put one up, but I wasn't just going to say "screw it" and delete everything I wrote. Not a big deal though, it's good to have multiple guides! Not trying to bash yours by making my own.

I dont see why someone would get annoyed...

The more guides the better!

Im thankful to anyone that takes their time to post a guide to help the rest of us.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:02 PM   #14
orellana2109

gantz2109's Gamercard
Don't sweat it man. Great guide. I am using it now to complete my game. Thanks.
orellana2109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:48 AM   #15
Filter x360a

Filter x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Bronze   x360a Representer   Donator - Level 2   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   GSL 8 Winners   Uno Rush Subscribers Tournament - Third Place   1,000 Posts   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Word of Mouth   Submit - Bronze   Castle Crashers Subscribers Tourn. - Third Place
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)
Great guide, especially the collectibles. Looking forward to using it in the morning.

Thanks to Gackt for the awesome sig!

Please msg me on XBL first for boosting, I don't accept random friend requests
Filter x360a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:15 AM   #16
JuSt BLaZe

BLAZE VII's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Diamond   5,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Gold   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Ok, this guide looks more decent than the other one, hehe. Thanks anywayz.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:18 PM   #17
norbucso

norbucso's Gamercard
Man i died 3 times in that part with the whirlwind and bamm got the achievement. WTF? You have said you can't do it without reloading the chapter. When i reached that part quitted out and checked youtube for it. Than i tried and failed 3 times but under 60 seconds i think and got got it when i reached the ladder.

And i love your guide by the way. I like this chronological (I hope i write it right) order, the way you will collect them. Thanks
Old 03-12-2011, 02:40 PM   #18
livandara

livandara's Gamercard
Great guide, very useful, thank you
livandara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:33 PM   #19
ethan82

Thank you!
ethan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:39 PM   #20
Fester

Flash bangs? I must have missed those the first time through. The flare gun came in handy.

Thanks for the great guide. On to the Signal now.
Fester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:02 AM   #21
sufc47

HandsomeRapier's Gamercard
Exellent guide thank you.
sufc47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:13 AM   #22
ooh ahh mcgrath

ooh ahh Mcgrath's Gamercard
Yeah,Tyger always does good guides.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #23
ADenton109

ADenton109's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Silver
Thanks for the guide, completed my first play-through without getting killed until the part where you not aloud to fire a gun, got gang raped by about 6 enemies all spawning surrounding me! Then after that didn't die so if the spawn wasn't so unlucky i would of got it all in one play-through but no! Just my luck i get fucked so gotta play it again!

Most Recent: Tomb Raider [1000]
ADenton109 is offline   Reply With Quote