PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Discussion Boards > Xbox 360
Subscribe    Donate

Old 01-20-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
XBlyndSDragonX

XBlyndSDragonX's Gamercard
Bethesda forsaking it's offline players.

So I rarely pay attention to the news of the world for any reason but a friend has told me and it seems to be true that Bethesda is trying to take it's games online (Elder Scrolls and Fallout). Personally I do not like online games and was saddened greatly when Star Wars made the old republic online... I have not played it and have no intention of doing so.

I did contact them with my feelings on this issue as it simply means to me the games I love I will no longer get to enjoy! Unless I go online... I even have a gold account and I still don't do this.

I am already unhappy with the way they have been dumbing down the games so this is what I wrote...

Hi, I am just trying to get notice to the devs about somethings... To start I have heard some very displeasing rumors about the direction Bethesda is going, I have heard rumor that they plan on making the next fallout and the next elder scrolls online...
I do NOT game online which is one of the reasons I prefer games like this, I have talked to person after person about this and will be hitting the 360 achievements website with this very soon and so far hear the same as I feel, Gamers do not want these games to be like WOW... which is an unbelievably crap game and waste of money in my books and many others, When star wars made their online game I was beyond distraught knowing I will never play it and I was a big star wars fan right up until thy ruined it for me with that. But hey I had your games to fall back on... So I was ok in the end and now your turning your back on me too?

Second thing I have to say is I am severely disappointed in the way you are dumbing down games, New Vegas had the "sneaky" suits which was not all that sneaky, In fact the skill alone for sneak was so dumbed down I restarted my character because AI always see you no matter what! ghay! Just let us SNEAK if we want to!

And I remember back in Morrowind when you could do things like make your own spells and equip every single piece of armor and jewelery separate... It was amazing the fun you could have. And although I enjoyed Skyrim some what the things I previously enjoyed the most were now gone. (BTW DLC was very unimpressive! and not worth the money I had spent on it.)

Are you afraid that characters are going to be too powerful or something? THAT IS HALF THE FUN!!!! so don't dumb it down expand on it instead.

It really seems to me and others that you are going for what makes you more money and not what makes gamers happier... So we already have WOW and a crappy load of FPS you do not need to do this and will forever lose a fan who has defended you while others besmirch.

What are others feelings on this? Trying to go outside my circle of friends.
XBlyndSDragonX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
Purge

Send a message via AIM to Purge Send a message via MSN to Purge Send a message via Skype™ to Purge

Davy Allan's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Green Thumb - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Submit - Silver   SOTF Runner Up   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Donator - Level 1   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)
You do realize that the Bethesda studio that made Fallout 3 and Skyrim didn't make Fallout: New Vegas or Elder Scrolls: Online, right?

But yeah, I like MMO games like World of Warcraft and The Secret World. Quests are usually hella boring, but I always found fun exploring, doing shit with friends or making new friends and doing that shit with them. etc. So I'm fine with MMOs, but I don't care for the how casual developers are making some games. A prime example being Skyrim.
It's like they're all still there. You feel it too, don't you?

Purge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
Akuza

Akuza89's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
whats wrong with RPG games going online ?

look at dark souls, that goes online and works great...surely the logical path would be to follow people who are in the same genre as you.

also, when people already have xbox live gold, why complain about getting online, for an offline game.

providing its done right, it wont effect the single player what so ever.
YU-GI-OH Arc V
Akame Ga Kill!
Gundam Reconguista in G
Old 01-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #4
Fire Hawk D

Fire Hawk GYJS's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Gold   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Silver   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Yeah, this reeks of "of not being able to deal with change". Also, it's a bit selfish. While it's "dumbed down" to you, it may make it more fun and accessible for someone else.

The game is great fun. If it isn't (to you) then why play it? For instance, you mention that in Morrowind it was "amazing the fun you could have" compared to Skyrim.

So...go play Morrowind. Seriously. I don't understand this.

Oh, and the "DLC was very unimpressive! and not worth the money I had spent on it"? Dude, why'd you buy it, then? Be an informed consumer or don't be surprised when things like that happen.

Again, this whole "letter" just stinks of whininess and buyer's regret.

On a side note, nice avatar, Akuza89. That's mine, too. "Tenkagomen!!!"

Last edited by Fire Hawk D; 01-20-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Fire Hawk D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #5
bigbear2face

bigbear2face's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
ZeniMax Media (the parent company created by Bethesda to run all their different assets) created ZeniMax Online specifically just to work on the Elder Scrolls Online and any other online/MMO games (like a Fallout one).

This will not affect the future of the numbered Elder Scrolls Series or the Fallout series. Bethesda Game Studios still exists almost primarily to work on those game series. Those games will continue to be pretty much exactly what the fanboys want them to be (unfortunately for the rest of us that want polished, finished, glitch free games with deep storylines). All of these games made by the various different studios under the ZeniMax umbrella will continue to be published by Bethesda.

Next time do your research before you start assuming the worst and throw around doom and gloom scenarios.

TLDR: The Elder Scrolls MMO and any future MP games in the Fallout and Elder Scrolls series are being made by a completely different, new studio created specifically for those games. The regular Elder Scrolls and Fallout games will continue to be made by Bethesda (and anyone they contract) and will not be affected.

Alea Iacta Est
MAL

Awesome pic provided by Dirty130

Quote:
"You looked inside me and saw hatred. That is not victory. Victory would have been a good Dalek." -The Doctor
"I am not a good Dalek. You are a good Dalek." -Rusty

Last edited by bigbear2face; 01-20-2013 at 08:41 PM.
bigbear2face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:32 PM   #6
incinerator950
Banned User

incinerator950's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Hawk D View Post
Yeah, this reeks of "of not being able to deal with change". Also, it's a bit selfish. While it's "dumbed down" to you, it may make it more fun and accessible for someone else.

The game is great fun. If it isn't (to you) then why play it? For instance, you mention that in Morrowind it was "amazing the fun you could have" compared to Skyrim.

So...go play Morrowind. Seriously. I don't understand this.

Oh, and the "DLC was very unimpressive! and not worth the money I had spent on it"? Dude, why'd you buy it, then? Be an informed consumer or don't be surprised when things like that happen.

Again, this whole "letter" just stinks of whininess and buyer's regret.

On a side note, nice avatar, Akuza89. That's mine, too. "Tenkagomen!!!"
This, suspense in buying something new is one thing, not being informed is your fault and a separate issue entirely.
incinerator950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:36 PM   #7
metalsteelix

Send a message via Skype™ to metalsteelix

ChaoticFantasyX's Gamercard
While the most have been said already, I'm giving my opinion too.

I by myself prefer offline gaming, but that doesn't mean I don't want the elder scrolls online. Oh heck no, I'm really looking forward to this game.

The Elder Scrolls series itself won't be affected by this mmo. You should actually give them a chance. You're talking it down already like it's going to be a bad game.

If they do the same like Star Wars did, it might actually be a pretty good idea, since SWTOR became a really populair game for F2Pers.

Also, some advice for the future: If you're going to contact someone with your opinion, please don't do it like that. They aren't going to take you seriously if they read that :L

DLC is opinion, I know alot of people who loved it. I have to try it, but by the looks of it, it looks interesting.

So everything catched together: Don't drag down a game you know nothing about.

Thanks to Gackt for this AMAZING sig ^^

Youtube: BokxieFTW
XBL: ChaoticFantasyX
Steam: Bokxie
3DS: 3110-4834-1382 (Nintendo Network ID: Bokxie)
Playfire: BokxieFTW
metalsteelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:06 PM   #8
Gackt
Banned User

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Gackt   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Gold   SOTF Winner   GSL 8 Winners   The Helping Hand   Bright Idea   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze   Artist of the Month
Total Awards: 15 (more» ...)
Any of you actually seen footage from TES Online? It...looks...hilariously...awful.
Annnnnnnnnnnd that, makes me smile.
Gackt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:33 PM   #9
Akir388

Akir388's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gamer Chick!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear2face View Post
This will not affect the future of the numbered Elder Scrolls Series or the Fallout series.
Huzzah!

I'm a big Elder Scrolls fan, but I have zero interest in playing TES Online.

Sig made by Gackt
Akir388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:01 PM   #10
StayonTarget
Chumps and Chumpettes!

Send a message via Skype™ to StayonTarget

TheStayonTarget's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver   Community Gaming - Emerald   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Donator - Level 2   CABS Beta Tester   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Micro Guide - Platinum   Subscriber - Bronze
Total Awards: 19 (more» ...)
Well I would actually play Skyrim if it had co op... so hopefully we'll see that one day.

Thanks to Rajeanero for the sig!
StayonTarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:14 PM   #11
WOLFkraut

WOLFkraut's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
I think you've gone a tad overboard on this. As has been stated, TES: Online is being developed by a different studio and won't affect the singleplayer TES games. And Fallout: Online has been canceled, but even if it had been fully developed, it too was being developed by a seperate studio and would have had no affect on the main Fallout series.

I think the way these games are being done is the right way, without taking away from the main franchise. Unlike some games that have had multiplayer tacked on, taking resources away from the main singleplayer game just to add poor MP modes and dilute the SP experience.

Also, your argument about sneaking doesn't make much sense, sneaking in the Bethesda Fallouts has never been very complex and AI is AI, of course they'll see you when a real person couldn't... It would take a lot of time and effort to program all the AI to not see you and Fallout is not just about sneaking, so putting that much effort into one thing just wouldn't make sense. Also, Fallout 3 had a sneak-suit, too...
Old 01-20-2013, 11:44 PM   #12
Shiftie

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Road Map - Diamond   Green Thumb - Bronze   Micro Guide - Platinum   Submit - Silver   Achievement Guide - Emerald   Staff Club - Shiftie   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gackt View Post
Any of you actually seen footage from TES Online? It...looks...hilariously...awful.
Annnnnnnnnnnd that, makes me smile.
It must be starring Gackt then, muahaha!!! (I'm crying on the inside)

Anyway, I'm a-ok with TES online, although I would have preferred Fallout online, neither of which are/would have been made by Bethesda.

(^Literally the coolest part of SWTOR)
Shiftie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:54 PM   #13
Spade.

Send a message via Skype™ to Spade.

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Donator - Level 2   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff Club - Minty   Subscriber - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   Micro Guide - Bronze   Ambassador 1x1 Competition - Second Place
I really don't care, I wish they would make a game that actually grabbed my attention.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:50 AM   #14
Gackt
Banned User

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Gackt   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Gold   SOTF Winner   GSL 8 Winners   The Helping Hand   Bright Idea   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze   Artist of the Month
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayonTarget View Post
Well I would actually play Skyrim if it had co op... so hopefully we'll see that one day.
That would make it more enjoyable for me instantly.

I'd be more interested in TES Online if it were coming to console...I don't like keyboard and mouse for gaming(problems with my hands) and a controller is much more comfortable to use. Plus...I wish there were just more console MMO's.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:51 AM   #15
Qonok

Qonok's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Staff Club - Never Final   Over Achiever - Silver
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBlyndSDragonX View Post
Gamers do not want these games to be like WOW... which is an unbelievably crap game and waste of money in my books and many others,
I bet they would love it if it was like WoW since Blizzard made millions monthly off all of the subscribers that played the game for years and years.

I would have prefered a Fallout online to a Elder Scrolls online. There are plenty of swords and sorcery MMO's but there are a lot fewer online shooters along the lines of Fallout. Might give it a looky (if it actually makes it to Beta) but we'll see from there.

Qonok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:18 AM   #16
WOLFkraut

WOLFkraut's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gackt View Post
That would make it more enjoyable for me instantly.

I'd be more interested in TES Online if it were coming to console...I don't like keyboard and mouse for gaming(problems with my hands) and a controller is much more comfortable to use. Plus...I wish there were just more console MMO's.
Skyrim has full controller support on PC, so I'd guess that this game will, too. Of all the reasons to not game on PC, that simply isn't one. The Xbox 360 wired controller is plug and play, while the wireless one works if you have a wireless receiver.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:24 AM   #17
Gackt
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFkraut View Post
Skyrim has full controller support on PC, so I'd guess that this game will, too. Of all the reasons to not game on PC, that simply isn't one. The Xbox 360 wired controller is plug and play, while the wireless one works if you have a wireless receiver.
Playing a PC mmo with a controller doesn't work very well. Very few of my pc games support game pad use, and using something like Xpadder works alright of some but...not enough.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:44 AM   #18
Vindicator51

Vindicator51's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsteelix View Post
If they do the same like Star Wars did, it might actually be a pretty good idea, since SWTOR became a really populair game for F2Pers.
Funny thing is that, SWTOR was one of the worst handled MMO's ever. The most expensive MMO went F2P in less than a year, which was a product rushed out the door. This exact thing happened to Warhammer Online, which led to the decline of players.

Hopefully more companies aren't that stupid, because they won't reach the numbers WoW has. It's a dream that every company fails to realize. Whoever is in charge of the TESO MMO..is in for a wake up call if handled incorrectly.

Last edited by Vindicator51; 01-21-2013 at 04:47 AM.
Vindicator51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:59 AM   #19
ReaptheChaos

ReaptheChaos's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFkraut View Post
Skyrum had controller support because it was basically the same program on PC as it was on console. On games that are designed just for PC, thats seldom the case, standard keyboard/mouse is the preferred method. Even on ones that allow controller, it's not always plug and play, meaning you have to map the controller in the options menu, which can be a real pain in the ass. As for MMO's, almost none of them have controller support.

If its true that what you donít know cant hurt you, then you must be practically invincible!
ReaptheChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:04 AM   #20
Skillet

Send a message via MSN to Skillet

Skillet x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   x360a Representer   Staff Club - Skillet   Over Achiever - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   A+ Thread Award   Road Map - Bronze   Word of Mouth   SOTF Runner Up   SOTF Winner   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 12 (more» ...)
Quote:
ZeniMax Media (the parent company created by Bethesda to run all their different assets) created ZeniMax Online specifically just to work on the Elder Scrolls Online and any other online/MMO games (like a Fallout one).

This will not affect the future of the numbered Elder Scrolls Series or the Fallout series. Bethesda Game Studios still exists almost primarily to work on those game series. Those games will continue to be pretty much exactly what the fanboys want them to be (unfortunately for the rest of us that want polished, finished, glitch free games with deep storylines). All of these games made by the various different studios under the ZeniMax umbrella will continue to be published by Bethesda.
You are correct, though on that last part I have to say... I'd like to see you create a world as expansive as the ones created by Bethesda, with just as many features as any game created by Bethesda, with only 100 people creating it. Most triple-A developers have 3 times the staff and are endlessly pumping out copy-pasted games like Halo and Call of Duty every other year.

That being said, I had my reservations about TES Online when I first heard about it. Though a recent "behind the scene" sort of trailer I watched did pique my interest. Even though I am inching towards "want-to-play" status, I still know that I won't. The pay-to-play aspect keeps me from playing any MMOs. I simply refuse to purchase a game, only to be forced to pay more money each month just to play it.

Read them.... apply them.

Skillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #21
metalsteelix

Send a message via Skype™ to metalsteelix

ChaoticFantasyX's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindicator51 View Post
Funny thing is that, SWTOR was one of the worst handled MMO's ever. The most expensive MMO went F2P in less than a year, which was a product rushed out the door. This exact thing happened to Warhammer Online, which led to the decline of players.

Hopefully more companies aren't that stupid, because they won't reach the numbers WoW has. It's a dream that every company fails to realize. Whoever is in charge of the TESO MMO..is in for a wake up call if handled incorrectly.
Yeah I forgot about that :/

Thanks to Gackt for this AMAZING sig ^^

Youtube: BokxieFTW
XBL: ChaoticFantasyX
Steam: Bokxie
3DS: 3110-4834-1382 (Nintendo Network ID: Bokxie)
Playfire: BokxieFTW
metalsteelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #22
DarkReign2021
Banned User

DarkReign2021's Gamercard

I understand where you're coming from, TC, and I understand a lot of your concerns, but like a lot of people have said so far, you probably ought to have done your research. Bethesda and Zenimax are still very much so remaining an offline-based company. They have their online division responsible for Elder Scrolls MMO and obviously ID has some focus on online multiplayer with their titles, but otherwise we need not worry. Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Dishonored, etc... are going to persist in their traditional manner (although admittedly, I would love to see Fallout 4 and TESVI include a 2-3 player co-op mode. Not much fun with strangers, but just having that friend or two to invite in for an adventure would be fun as hell.) Hell, Bethesda fought Interplay over the Fallout MMO and had it shot down finally, so that's one bullet we dodged.

As for not being able to enjoy the Elder Scrolls MMO, admittedly yes it sucks for us, but we can't expect the entire industry to cater to just our wants. Other people want an MMO for the series and it's a logical direction to take the universe in, so why not make it happen. I'm not a PC gamer and I refuse to pay subscription fees for a game, so I'll never play it, but that shouldn't stop other people from enjoying it so long as it's good for the series (and respects the lore of the franchise.) I'm more accepting of Bethesda doing something like this because they respect the space of the developers and they still deliver on their promises. Other series like Mass Effect and Bioshock have awful multiplayer components shoe-horned in and it ultimately hinders the campaigns of those titles, so at least Bethesda is doing this in an intelligent way.
DarkReign2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:11 PM   #23
Tatanko
Ductus Exemplo

Tatanko's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 4   Subscriber - Bronze   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   5,000 Posts   A+ Thread Award   XBA Promoter   Over Achiever - Bronze   Word of Mouth
Quote:
TLDR: The Elder Scrolls MMO and any future MP games in the Fallout and Elder Scrolls series are being made by a completely different, new studio created specifically for those games. The regular Elder Scrolls and Fallout games will continue to be made by Bethesda (and anyone they contract) and will not be affected.
Well said, and not much else really needs said besides this. OP can go cry about it.

Personally I think it's great that they're doing an MMO since it won't affect the traditional "offline" ES games. At the very least, if it fails, they can say they tried and we can stop wondering whether or not an ES MMO would be good or not. The answer would be no I do want it to succeed, but as Gackt said, it's not looking too impressive so far. Either way I will at least be giving it a gentleman's try.
Tatanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #24
StolenPaper18

StolenPaper18's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   XBA Promoter   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatanko View Post
Well said, and not much else really needs said besides this. OP can go cry about it.

Personally I think it's great that they're doing an MMO since it won't affect the traditional "offline" ES games. At the very least, if it fails, they can say they tried and we can stop wondering whether or not an ES MMO would be good or not. The answer would be no I do want it to succeed, but as Gackt said, it's not looking too impressive so far. Either way I will at least be giving it a gentleman's try.
Does everyone think it looks that bad? I personally thought it looked good. I may be blinded by my need for a new MMO though. It's been so long since I've played one that even WoW is almost seeming interesting again...ALMOST.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #25
Tatanko
Ductus Exemplo

Tatanko's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 4   Subscriber - Bronze   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   5,000 Posts   A+ Thread Award   XBA Promoter   Over Achiever - Bronze   Word of Mouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by StolenPaper18 View Post
Does everyone think it looks that bad? I personally thought it looked good. I may be blinded by my need for a new MMO though. It's been so long since I've played one that even WoW is almost seeming interesting again...ALMOST.
Oh, I'm certainly not implying it looks bad. I would never say that. It could just be better. That's nit-picking though. I think it looks kind of cartoony and out of proportion compared to the regular ES games.
Tatanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #26
JediJake

Makumazon's Gamercard
Live and let live.

I am more of a SP person, but do sometimes enjoy MP. That being said, if Fallout were to go online, I would still give it a try before casting judgment on it. I love Fallout, as is, but every game is going to be different, so why not give it the benefit of the doubt? If I do not like it, big deal. There are a ton of games out there I could play instead.

I do have to agree with metalsteelix though. Your letter did not help your case at all. They will read it once and toss it. If your lucky you will get a generic letter back with no real answers to your questions. You failed to ask your questions professionally, or politely. That will hurt you in the end.

A huge Thank You to XxLil Raver xX for the awesome sig and Rajeanero for the awesome Avatar!
JediJake is offline   Reply With Quote