Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion
Subscribe    Donate

Old 01-23-2013, 06:38 AM   #31
Deadsea 18

Deadsea 1993's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Who ah let's stay on topic or let thread die. Someone said cannibal corpse sings about mutilated corpses true but then there's bands like pantera and death that are true emotion metal is. A serious genre depending on the band. On topic its still interesting to me cause I always thought angel of death the song made fun of halocaust victims and fun of God so for there to be 2 Christians in that band surprises me.

Check out my alternative rock music. If you like it spread the word it would really help me out.

https://soundcloud.com/soundwasteland
Deadsea 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:00 AM   #32
XPL1C1T GAM3R

xSCAR x TiSSUEx's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gheuh2 View Post
of all thyme.
thyme http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thyme

XPL1C1T GAM3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #33
Opiate42

Location: Canada, likely stuck in a snowdrift...with no shovel

Opiate42's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Rajeanero   Community Gaming - Silver   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - DEG23   Over Achiever - Bronze   5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
Reading this whole thread has just made me laugh my ass off.

"Hit it"
Opiate42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #34
Ty-Rex
I <3 troy0891 x360a

Tylord824's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 3   CABS Beta Tester   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 2   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Subscriber - Bronze   Micro Guide - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 10 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opiate42 View Post
Reading this whole thread has just made me laugh my ass off.
This thread drove me to alcoholism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakethemuss View Post
I could be a stud with females and get laid all the time

Ty-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:17 PM   #35
Felonious Monk

HopeStillFlies's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Gamer Chick!   1,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Silver
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
I knew there was a reason I was avoiding this thread.

I'm going to guess the same people that take music genres such as Metal supah srs also think that no other music genres should be allowed in Rock Band.

People do realize that things like Metalocalypse exists not as a testament to the influence of Metal music but rather as a satire of the people who take it way too seriously?

I dunno. Music is music and we're allowed our guilty pleasures. It's the only excuse I can seem to find for anyone that still listens to Metallica unironically.

As for the Christianity... it doesn't really matter what someone's personal beliefs are while they're doing something else, it only helps us play armchair commentator afterwards. Jim Jones was a Christian:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonestown

And, I'm going crazy with an example here but bear with me, on the other end of the spectrum, you've got a great guy like Mike Krahulik:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Krahulik

Who does what he loves, dumps huge amounts of money into and organizes a charity that helps kids in ways that other charities neglect and is a driving commentator force in an industry we enjoy. His works may be violent, obscene or offensive at times, but he identifies as Christian. Even better is that he doesn't put himself on a pedestal and works alongside Jerry who has strong atheist leanings and they're able to put those life experiences and beliefs into a great, balanced collaboration.

But let's dive right into the music, too. Ever heard of Larry Norman?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Norman

He's referred to as the grandfather of Christian rock and most church-going, Bible-beating "Christians" hate him. He had a belief in his religion but also had strong belief in making music that wasn't fucking terrible. He toured with The Who and was idolized by Black Francis and it was because he was a talented musician that wasn't afraid to associate with mainstream creative types that the Christian church as a whole would psychologically excommunicate him.

Then let's talk about my favorite band, Five Iron Frenzy. While people brainwashed by the Christian Music Industrial Complex know them only as "oh right the ones with that praise song that ends with all the band members stopping their instruments and singing in unison" or "hey that one band that did that obnoxious Amy Grant cover", the reality is the rest of their catalog is something many Christian music publishers get all antsy when they hear it because instead of lyrics going on and on about how fucking great God is and how we're all not worthy, they sing about consumerism, the oppression of Native Americans by whitey, the manipulation of the Christian music industry, handling death, the frustration of the Christian church's handling of homosexuality, etc.

Heck, two of the band members recently came out that they're atheist, and one of them is rejoining the other members for a reunion album and tour.

I dunno, it just irritates me when someone makes the kneejerk reaction in regards to someone's faith. Perform well, do good by your fans, don't be an asshole and that should be the end of it.

Not all Christian musicians are Scott Stapp.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:17 PM   #36
BiggD
71 Days 'Til Halo 2

BiggDope's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Gold   Road Map - Gold   10,000 posts   Submit - Diamond   Micro Guide - Diamond   A+ Thread Award   CABS Beta Tester   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   Donator - Level 2   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal
Total Awards: 16 (more» ...)
I've lost so many brain cells reading through this thread...

I was going to voice my opinion on metal music, but too many people in here cannot accept other's opinions and clear sarcasm.

So I'm outtie.

Thanks to Xerofox for the stunningly suave signature!
BiggD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:33 PM   #37
Death Metal Jim

Death Metal Jim's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - bplayak   Staff Club - Kairi   Staff Club - Yunder   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Well, this is quite an amusing thread. As for Slayer and their members, what they do in their personal life has nothing to do with what they do in their band. The band is their main source of income, so of course they're going to continue to sing about satanism and demons, because they know that shit sells. When it's all said and done, they go home to their mansions and probably have a good laugh about the whole thing.
Death Metal Jim is offline   Reply With Quote