Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Dark Souls
Subscribe    Donate

Old 01-21-2013, 10:22 PM   #1
xEl Boricua

xEl Boricua's Gamercard
just buy DarkSouls

hey I just buy this game. I just want to know what is the best character to star this game.?

( I play Demon Souls for Ps3, and finished )
xEl Boricua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #2
Purge

Send a message via AIM to Purge Send a message via MSN to Purge Send a message via Skype™ to Purge

Davy Allan's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Green Thumb - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Submit - Silver   SOTF Runner Up   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Donator - Level 1   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)
Really, it doesn't matter. You can choose whatever class sounds coolest.

And another note, you should put your souls into upgrading your items rather than upgrading your skills. Or that's what I did anyway.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:25 PM   #3
BluWolve

BluWolve's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 5   Subscriber - Platinum   Submit - Silver   A+ Thread Award   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purge View Post
Exactly this.

Any class can be anything, it is all up to personal preference what you decide. There is no "best" class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astinus, Chronicler of the History of Krynn
History should note, however, that the Light would have been doomed to failure if not for one man who chose to walk in Darkness
BluWolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #4
xEl Boricua

xEl Boricua's Gamercard
Quote:

And another note, you should put your souls into upgrading your items rather than upgrading your skills. Or that's what I did anyway.
ok.. Good to know so is a little diferent from Demons souls?

Last edited by xEl Boricua; 01-21-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:01 AM   #5
KriugerisLT

Kr1ug3ris's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I think the Pyromancer is the "Best" starting class. Decent equipment for starting with low equip burden, and you get a free pyromancy spell right from the get go. Also you're level 1 that means cheaper level up from the start, and you still get some decent stats in End/Vit/Str and Dex.

Winning combo if you ask me, when you start the game.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:04 AM   #6
xEl Boricua

xEl Boricua's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by KriugerisLT View Post
I think the Pyromancer is the "Best" starting class. Decent equipment for starting with low equip burden, and you get a free pyromancy spell right from the get go. Also you're level 1 that means cheaper level up from the start, and you still get some decent stats in End/Vit/Str and Dex.

Winning combo if you ask me, when you start the game.
good..going to check it out
Old 01-22-2013, 01:24 AM   #7
Purge

Send a message via AIM to Purge Send a message via MSN to Purge Send a message via Skype™ to Purge

Davy Allan's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Green Thumb - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Submit - Silver   SOTF Runner Up   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Donator - Level 1   Word of Mouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by xEl Boricua View Post
good..going to check it out
If you're going the magic route though, it's often considered a huge crutch to make the game easy. The same applies to co-operative play or summoning.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:31 AM   #8
KriugerisLT

Kr1ug3ris's Gamercard

Quote:
If you're going the magic route though, it's often considered a huge crutch to make the game easy. The same applies to co-operative play or summoning.
Low level mage that is spec'd for High Int is like wet toilet paper. Almost anything can one shot you. But you can build a decent mage build in the ~120 lvl range, but at the cost of low Dexterity (40-45 dex dramatically increases casting speed) or Endurance, so you won't be able to equip any stuff with higher Poise against stun-locking. Mad dodge skills or bust, if you decide to go pure Mage.

I remember posting a good Mage build for semi-advanced players in the build section. High Int, High Vit (for a level 120 Mage), High Dex and a decent amount of Poise what will allow you to take a hit from a Greatsword before toppling. Put extra 5 points in Vit, and you're golden.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/f...ghlight=Builds

If you're interested more in PvP. Though my build is also great for PvE.

I have to agree on Mages being OP if they apply all the mag. adjust items. Especially if they're combo'ing everything. Crown of Dusk, Bellowing Dragoncrest ring and Crystal Catalyst... and spamming the shit out of Dark Bead... just ugh. 90% of mages for ex: in the Ganker Forest spam either Dark Bead or HCSM and turtle behind a Greatshield.

Last edited by KriugerisLT; 01-22-2013 at 01:44 AM.
KriugerisLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:02 AM   #9
asdfen

dunno about mages being OP. If points spent into just int/attunment the game still remains quiet a challenge as everything one hit KO but the same goes for most of the monsters too thought and bosses go down in about 4 hits.
but 50 intel and high vitality would be extremely easy build
asdfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:20 AM   #10
KriugerisLT

Kr1ug3ris's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfen View Post
dunno about mages being OP. If points spent into just int/attunment the game still remains quiet a challenge as everything one hit KO but the same goes for most of the monsters too thought and bosses go down in about 4 hits.

I wasn't saying that Mages are OP in general. I said that they're OP when using all the Mag.Adjust items, like: Crown of Dusk, Bellowing ring and the Tin Cryst. Catalyst. Items like that shouldn't be in the game, or stack as much. The Crown of Dusk I understand, because it lowers your resistance to magic significantly, but gives you extra magic damage. If anything else, all those items shouldn't stack, only 1 and you have to choose which one. Head, Catalyst or Ring.

OHKO equipment with a Crystal Soul Spear, Pursuers or Dark Bead.

Last edited by KriugerisLT; 01-22-2013 at 10:23 AM.
KriugerisLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #11
Tubby 94

Tubby94's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Gold   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Pick whatever fits your play style, every character is good in their own way. It's really all about having fun with the game

Retail Games completed: 146

Arcade games completed:75

Tubby 94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:24 PM   #12
u7sr

u7sr's Gamercard
Quote:
I tried to play as a pure sorcerer build one time and holy fuck that was hard, you don't get any sorceries who pack any punch before quite a bit into the game, and you die very easily if hit, so I do not recommend this for any beginner.
u7sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:46 PM   #13
asdfen

Quote:
Originally Posted by KriugerisLT View Post
Mages are OP when using all the Mag.Adjust items, like: Crown of Dusk, Bellowing ring and the Tin Cryst. Catalyst
I use crown+ring as half of cast being gone does not suite my style plus I doubt there will be enough damage difference between it and logan's at 99 intelligence.

my build has low vitality - I didnt put any points into it at all and at NG plus game still is challenging enough as I said everything 1 hit KOs me but I dish out some insane damage. my usual spells hit for about 1k+ and that usually kills bosses very fast but the draw back is light armor no shield usage to speak of and till last 1/4 in the first playthrough mages are actually loosing in damage output to every other build I play as Black Knight Halberd out damages spells significantly plus strength builds usually can afford much more protection. I am talking PVE only here as I do not play online.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #14
xEl Boricua

xEl Boricua's Gamercard
well last night i start with knight and i get raped by the first boss..the i get raped again by the first skeleton..lol going to star a new game with a magic choise..i think iam going for pyro
Old 01-22-2013, 07:38 PM   #15
Purge

Davy Allan's Gamercard

Quote:
well last night i start with knight and i get raped by the first boss..the i get raped again by the first skeleton..lol going to star a new game with a magic choise..i think iam going for pyro
Finding Dark Souls harder than Demon Souls?
Old 01-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #16
xEl Boricua

xEl Boricua's Gamercard
Quote:
Finding Dark Souls harder than Demon Souls?
i believe is more harder...I beat demonsouls in ps3 i get all trophie . but i begin using magic all the way. in Demons souls i didnt die like like 5 time in the begining like Dark souls lol
Old 01-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #17
Skorpion XBA
Guide Team

Skorpion XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - troy0891   Micro Guide - Silver   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff - Guide Team   Achievement Guide - Gold   Subscriber - Silver   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 3   2,500 Posts   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 1   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal
Total Awards: 37 (more» ...)
I thought this was a thread telling me to buy Dark Souls. You almost had me...
Old 01-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #18
xEl Boricua

xEl Boricua's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Ravisher View Post
I thought this was a thread telling me to buy Dark Souls. You almost had me...
yeah i just buy this game yesterday. i wanted to know what is the best charcter to begin....is not like demons souls is a litle diferent . i just want the opinion of all the player who play this game
Old 01-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #19
Purge

Davy Allan's Gamercard

Quote:
i believe is more harder...I beat demonsouls in ps3 i get all trophie . but i begin using magic all the way. in Demons souls i didnt die like like 5 time in the begining like Dark souls lol
Jesus, how is that possible? I couldn't get past the first part of Demon Souls. Never made it to the first boss.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:54 PM   #20
xEl Boricua

xEl Boricua's Gamercard
Quote:
Jesus, how is that possible? I couldn't get past the first part of Demon Souls. Never made it to the first boss.
the first boss was easy for me cuz i was using only the catalyst .yeah it take me along time but i bet him..and yeah i die like 3 times
Old 01-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #21
SuNuS

SuNuS's Gamercard
It has a small learning curve but if you finished Demon Souls you should be fine. As for what class to choose, it's been said by everyone else already. Pick whatever you'd like as they can all be molded into something great.

Sig by Gackt
SuNuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:59 PM   #22
xEl Boricua

xEl Boricua's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuNuS View Post
It has a small learning curve but if you finished Demon Souls you should be fine. As for what class to choose, it's been said by everyone else already. Pick whatever you'd like as they can all be molded into something great.
yeah i was looking and i see the pyro begin with level one..and i can moldet wherver i like not like the others character...
Old 01-22-2013, 11:59 PM   #23
KriugerisLT

Kr1ug3ris's Gamercard

Quote:
I use crown+ring as half of cast being gone does not suite my style plus I doubt there will be enough damage difference between it and logan's at 99 intelligence.
There's absolutely no point in putting 99 points in Int. 50 is the max amount that actually matters and scales damage pretty well. After that is just wasted soul levels. ~0.2% of the bonus for each level above 50 INT, so it's completely useless. You're better off putting those points in Resistance. lol
Old 01-23-2013, 08:50 AM   #24
asdfen

~0.2% bonus may be nothing for some but me I want MAX damage besides sometimes it makes all the difference like whatever trash dies from 1 spell or multiples. now I am working on getting DEX to 50 to be able to cast faster and use better daggers

Last edited by asdfen; 01-23-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:16 AM   #25
asdfen

ok back to the original topic if you are having a hard time and you hsould be since the first time anyone plays Dark Souls its brutal here are some easy builds.

1. the first step in making dark souls easy is to choose a weapon that you are going to base your build around same as with Demon souls. Sorcery however is not recommended for your first playthrough as you will know how to complete some annoying easy to miss quests and farm a lot of souls to buy spells. What you want is a good easy mele weapon teamed with pyromancy.

Good starting weapons are as follows:
Gravelord Sword - easier to get than drake sword as it only involves running and no killing. Can be gotten within 10 minutes of arriving at Firelink. you can check out my speedrun vid for directions how to get it. Most of beginning bosses will die from few hits from it.
Balder Side Sword - pretty good weapon if it drops for you in undead parish and needs some major upgrading before useful.
Claymore - pick it up on the bridge with dragon once again needs upgrading before it becomes amazing.
You should probably try for lightning upgrade as it works well on most of the bosses and monsters.

As for shield you should aim for Grass Crest Shield and Eagle Shield right at the start of the game. While getting Grass Crest Shield killing Black Knight may yield Black Knight Halberd. That weapon is amazing in terms of moveset / reach and damage. You should consider investing stats to be able to use it if it drops.

Stats should be allocated so you can use weapon and shield of your choosing with 1 hand first. Once that is over and done with focus on Vitality till its 30 then endurance. If you can find yourself a pyromancy glove upgrade it to lvl10+ and buy greater combustion and also pick up power within.

With a build like that you should have an decent time through the game as nothing will be able to 1 hit KO you till new game plus.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:10 AM   #26
KriugerisLT

Kr1ug3ris's Gamercard

Quote:
~0.2% bonus may be nothing for some but me I want MAX damage besides sometimes it makes all the difference like whatever trash dies from 1 spell or multiples. now I am working on getting DEX to 50 to be able to cast faster and use better daggers
Only 45 is required for the maximum cast speed. There's only a 2-3 damage difference between 45 and 50.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:05 AM   #27
ghostx30

ghost X30's Gamercard
A. If you are new to the game then the class you choose certainly does matter. I would never recommend a new player start out as a Sorcerer or Thief. Maybe future builds or once you're comfortable with the game, but not to begin with. Pyromancer and Warrior are the two best "Starting Classes," in my opinion. Bandit and Clerics also make a nice option, especially since you start out wielding a nice shiny Battle Axe, or with extra healing for a Cleric.

B. As for weapons. It's hard to argue the Claymore. It has great upgrade potential, it does tremendous damage, and only requires 16 STR and 10 DEX, which if you end up sticking with it, that opens up points for other things. If you are going to go a Dex build, then I highly recommend the Uchigatana. It's quick, it scales decently, and man, can it ever do quite a bit of damage really fast if you enchant it with Lightening or Fire. And the third, and my personal choice if you are going with a STR Build, would be to use the Black Knight Sword if you get it, and upgrade it along with your STR stat immediately. If you do this, then Congratulations! You have just discovered Dark Souls easy mode. Seriously, this thing does MASSIVE damage to all it touches. As for shields, Grass Crest, Eagle Shield, and later in the game the Blood Shield. Also the Black Knight and Dragon Crest shields for their great fire resistances.

3. As for Stats, you want to be sure that you use your points wisely. First of all there is no need whatsoever to go to 99 in anything. For VIT and END, the returns are minimal beyond 40. For the rest of the stats there is no need to go beyond 50 in your particular specialty. The most important thing is to be sure that you decide what you want to be, and then commit to that build, and use everything the game gives you to the builds advantage. That with patience, determination, and the ability to laugh at yourself for dying in the multitude of stupid ways your going to die will carry you far.

4. I would also recommend that you play through the first section or two of the game with 3 or 4 different characters, to get a feel for how they work and what is most going to suit your style. In the end, for the first run, I think Pyromancer, Warrior, or Cleric are going to be your best starting choices.

Last edited by ghostx30; 01-24-2013 at 01:07 AM.
ghostx30 is offline   Reply With Quote