PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Action > Guardians of Middle-earth
Subscribe    Donate

Old 12-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
wo ai ni xx

wo ai ni xx's Gamercard
basic attack gems - what is better?

I know this isn't the most lively forum for a game, but I've a question about attack gems im hoping to get answered -

So I like playing as haldir, a striker, and I am trying to build a loadout aimed at getting as much basic damage out of him as possible, so I ask - am I better giving him the numerical damage increase, or the percentage damage increase?

Any info would be appreciated

Wo ai ni!! ^.^

<3

wo ai ni xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
Trucido

Argead's Gamercard
You will receive more benefit from the %damage increase for Basic Attack. Halide is a fun guardian to play and you can build him many different ways.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #3
wo ai ni xx

wo ai ni xx's Gamercard
Cool thanks for the tip I've changed him about now, yet to try it out

What other kind of build would you recommend for him?

Wo ai ni!! ^.^

<3

Old 12-30-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
Trucido

Argead's Gamercard
My personal favorite build is:

Fell Winter Relic
Mirkwood Spiders Relic
Red Book Relic

(In that order)

I constantly tweak the gems.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:55 AM   #5
Lukedawg

iFL4WLESS ii's Gamercard
Goblin gate w/ Rohirrim ride all day.... smack people down constantly.... i mean its bad....lol
Lukedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:23 AM   #6
Shiftie

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Road Map - Diamond   Green Thumb - Bronze   Micro Guide - Platinum   Submit - Silver   Achievement Guide - Emerald   Staff Club - Shiftie   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
My Haldir/Legolas build starts with attack speed and then attack % and crit chance. It started off as my setup for Thrain, but I play them more (works great for him too, though).

(^Literally the coolest part of SWTOR)
Shiftie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #7
wo ai ni xx

wo ai ni xx's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftie View Post
My Haldir/Legolas build starts with attack speed and then attack % and crit chance. It started off as my setup for Thrain, but I play them more (works great for him too, though).
I could never stand legolas, his ultimate being a knockback really annoys me, its just not strong enough - fair enough he's top on basic damage, but his abilities just aren't worth it

I keep meaning to try thrain, though never thought he'd benefit from basic attack damage :S

Wo ai ni!! ^.^

<3

Old 01-10-2013, 03:08 PM   #8
Shiftie

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Road Map - Diamond   Green Thumb - Bronze   Micro Guide - Platinum   Submit - Silver   Achievement Guide - Emerald   Staff Club - Shiftie   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wo ai ni xx View Post
I could never stand legolas, his ultimate being a knockback really annoys me, its just not strong enough - fair enough he's top on basic damage, but his abilities just aren't worth it

I keep meaning to try thrain, though never thought he'd benefit from basic attack damage :S
Using Legolas' teleport to cut people off and then hitting them backward with your ultimate attack can be useful, however I constantly find myself using his ultimate immediately followed by his attack (I use him all the time, you think I'd remember the name -.-). That will give you +damage on the target since the ultimate decreases their damage resistance, while slowing the target so you can catch up with them if you need to.

For Thrain, ya I would say focusing on a basic attack setup isn't ideal, but the critical damage I have in my second relic can be very helpful with his hammer throw attack since it will usually hit a target twice. You could replace the attack speed relic with, say an ability power relic and yield some good results since his abilities are quite powerful. Overall I think he is a very well balanced character, with strong (ranged!) abilities, pretty good basic damage, and of course the ability to greatly reduce all incoming damage which is huge. Plus he has a really big hammer.

As a side note, I did forget to mention in my previous post that I adapted my Thrain build to work more with Legolas and Haldir by focusing on basic attack % instead of crit or crit % like I had with thrain. I guess I'll also add that Legolas' +attack speed after killing a guardian can be HUGE in getting multi-kills.

(^Literally the coolest part of SWTOR)

Last edited by Shiftie; 01-10-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Shiftie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #9
DeltaCoMMander8

DeltaCoMMander8's Gamercard
It's all just basic Math, with the Striker class once you get out of level 3 your going to be doing 100 damage a shot. With the percentage ruin your going to do 4 extra damage. When you get to level 4 (Don't totally quote me, all the strikers do slightly different damage...) you do 125 damage and your next gem becomes active increasing your damage by 5. So it would still almost be worth it to use the +6 damage increase anyways. Once you get towards end game levels (10,11,12, ect.) Start using the % based gems. That's at least how I go about putting gems into builds.

By the way... FUCK MATH
DeltaCoMMander8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:39 PM   #10
wo ai ni xx

wo ai ni xx's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaCoMMander8 View Post
It's all just basic Math, with the Striker class once you get out of level 3 your going to be doing 100 damage a shot. With the percentage ruin your going to do 4 extra damage. When you get to level 4 (Don't totally quote me, all the strikers do slightly different damage...) you do 125 damage and your next gem becomes active increasing your damage by 5. So it would still almost be worth it to use the +6 damage increase anyways. Once you get towards end game levels (10,11,12, ect.) Start using the % based gems. That's at least how I go about putting gems into builds.

By the way... FUCK MATH
Ah okay, I actually get where you're coming from, so for the lvl 2/4/6 gems, it might be better using +6 damage, as it will be slightly better than the damage boost you would get from the % boost, and in the 10/12/14 slots use % boost as that will increase it further than the +6 damage would at the higher levels

Gonna try that out later see how it fares in comparison to my current % damage boosts - it seems logically sound so my guess is it should work.

Wo ai ni!! ^.^

<3