Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Darksiders 2
Subscribe    Donate

Old 01-23-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
ThePumpkinKing

The Winter King's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   x360a Book Club
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Darksiders Franchise has failed to find a buyer...

THQ is finished. Every single franchise and developer has found a buyer. Except Darksiders. Apparently Vigil was going to attempt to acquire it. They didn't. So, unless something changes real fast, this is the end of the line for this series.

Words cannot describe how disgusted I am with the industry right now. This is easily one of the better IPs to come out of this generation of consoles. And no one could be bothered to save it.

Discuss.
Resident Evil 5
ThePumpkinKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
Burnout x360a

M1KE 08's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   Submit - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   5,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
I've not played Darksiders but it saddens me that a well received series may not be able to continue.

^ By Xerofox, thanks!
Twitter lSteam

Burnout x360a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
Vindicator51

Vindicator51's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Sad to see that Darksiders is going to be discontinued. I'm also not sure Metro is in good hands with Deep Silver.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
ThePumpkinKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindicator51 View Post
Sad to see that Darksiders is going to be discontinued. I'm also not sure Metro is in good hands with Deep Silver.
While this is definitely bad news. Nothing is set in stone. They may still find a buyer. But the fact that they didn't during the auction is not good at all. But don't write off Darksiders just yet.

Also.

Metro was purchased by Deep Silver's parent company, Koch. Deep Silver won't have anything to do with it, since they're just a developer, and have their hands full with Dead Island. But I'd honestly worry about this as well. Koch is a relatively new, generic publisher with really only Dead Island under it's roof. And while Dead Island was okay. It wasn't stellar. Let's just hope the mentality that sales equal quality doesn't translate to their newly acquired IPs.

This whole situation sucks. But in all honesty, THQ has been pushing their luck for years.
Resident Evil 5
Old 01-23-2013, 10:00 PM   #5
Jack Frost

MEETSP1NNER's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Silver   Staff Club - rekikire   Knife in the Dark Challenge Club - Tier 1   Artist of the Month   Community Gaming - Bronze   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 2   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Micro Guide - Bronze   Over Achiever - Silver   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 10 (more» ...)
So, did the individual offers exceed the $60 million offered by that capital group?

Because if they don't, the capital group (the name escapes me at the moment) gets to purchase THQ entirely and THQ will remain in control of their IPs.

This was what THQ were originally trying to pull off until a bankruptcy judge said, "Whoa, hold on a second..."
Old 01-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #6
Kunduz

Herr Karamell's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Meh, not my type of game. I rather see some new IPs rather than a steady flow of sequels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Frost View Post
So, did the individual offers exceed the $60 million offered by that capital group?

Because if they don't, the capital group (the name escapes me at the moment) gets to purchase THQ entirely and THQ will remain in control of their IPs.

This was what THQ were originally trying to pull off until a bankruptcy judge said, "Whoa, hold on a second..."
Clearlake Captital Group and yes.

http://www.kccllc.net/documents/1213...0000000004.pdf

I'm sad to see that Relic got picked up by SEGA

Quote:
In that case, people will have to download more RAM for it. Consoles have come a long way since they first appeared, so this is very possible.

Last edited by Kunduz; 01-23-2013 at 10:40 PM.
Kunduz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:31 AM   #7
Dragonmaster700

Dragonmaster700's Gamercard
This sucks, I would have loved to see the Darksiders series continue and improve over time. Maybe something will happen yet, but I doubt it at this point.
Dragonmaster700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #8
BloodGodAlucard

BloodGodAlucard's Gamercard

This is bullshit. So another series that I love is going to be discontinued? Hopefully someone will acquire the franchise someday and continue it. I truly despise the gaming industry sometimes.

Completed: 74 Retail Games and 7 Arcade Games

Proudest Completion to Date: Dark Souls 1000/1000 on Xbox 360 and 1000/1000 on PC
BloodGodAlucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #9
DarnedCargo

DarnedCargo's Gamercard
Does Darksiders have MP?
Old 01-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #10
Vindicator51

Vindicator51's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunduz View Post
Meh, not my type of game. I rather see some new IPs rather than a steady flow of sequels.

Clearlake Captital Group and yes.

http://www.kccllc.net/documents/1213...0000000004.pdf

I'm sad to see that Relic got picked up by SEGA
Relic being picked up by Sega is much better than Bethesda, trust me. Bethesda would have no clue what to do with it.

Anyways, Platinum Games seems to have expressed interest in Darksiders.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #11
BloodGodAlucard

BloodGodAlucard's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarnedCargo View Post
Does Darksiders have MP?
No there's no multiplayer in Darksiders.

Quote:
Relic being picked up by Sega is much better than Bethesda, trust me. Bethesda would have no clue what to do with it.

Anyways, Platinum Games seems to have expressed interest in Darksiders.
That's good to hear. I really like Platinum Games. They always do great work. So I'd be happy if they acquired the IP. A little crazy Japanese flair that Platinum is known for could really invigorate this series in my opinion. I hope this ends up happening.

Completed: 74 Retail Games and 7 Arcade Games

Proudest Completion to Date: Dark Souls 1000/1000 on Xbox 360 and 1000/1000 on PC
BloodGodAlucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #12
Genesis x360a

Schluballybub's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Staff Club - Minty   Over Achiever - Gold   Road Map - Gold   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Call of Duty 4 Subscribers Tourn. - First Place   Submit - Bronze   Call of Duty: WaW Subscribers Tourn. - First Place   Subscriber Uno - Third Place   Donator - Level 1   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)
2 of Platinum Games top guys have tweeted hinting towards wanting to buy Darksiders and hire Vigil Game staff. I really hope the Darksiders Franchise gets saved especially after the head of Vigil said Darksiders 3, 4 player co-op was on the cards.

Genesis x360a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:18 PM   #13
KevmonD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis x360a View Post
2 of Platinum Games top guys have tweeted hinting towards wanting to buy Darksiders and hire Vigil Game staff. I really hope the Darksiders Franchise gets saved especially after the head of Vigil said Darksiders 3, 4 player co-op was on the cards.
I hope this is true I'd hate to see such a great series end like this
KevmonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:53 PM   #14
earnold25

yikes. Hope they find a way to make it happen.
earnold25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:03 AM   #15
FatalDeathSG45

BloodScourge88's Gamercard

If nobody buys Darksiders to continue the series, then the game industry truly has failed us all.
FatalDeathSG45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:17 AM   #16
loganm223

PanicGull's Gamercard
So does this mean i will be able to pick up both DS 1+2 for cheap cheap cheap ??

loganm223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:12 AM   #17
Hoborg
Banned User

I'm not sad, I'm kind of happy. Darksiders is a very overrated franchise. Sure, they have some novel ideas when it comes to story telling but everything else about the universe including the gameplay is utterly prosaic and forgettable.

I can wager you this: you can miss playing a DS game and still not miss out on much. You can play a DS game and be somewhat satisfied. It's what I would like to call a filler game. A decent enough game to play in between bigger and better releases.

In the end, this is about evolution. Survival of the fittest. The fact of the matter is that DS is just not good enough of a franchise to survive. But honestly? They should have killed off Metro too, also very overrated.
Hoborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:29 AM   #18
Reggiez

Reggiez's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Silver
I for one is sad to see the possible end of this franchise this soon and in such an abrupt way. I really liked the first game and what I've played of the second game I liked as well.

It's a sad state of affairs (in my opinion) if only the generic shooters and yearly sports games manage to sell in big figures. Still it is as in any market the fittest who survive in the end. If not enough customers buy the game it will lead to game studio problems in the end. Having said that Darksiders II did ship alot of copies, close to 1.4 million so it wasn't a bad sell as such. I guess the main problem was that it was a supposed "studio saver" and it failed to sell well enough to achieve that.

Oh, and Hoborg it is pretty clear that you didn't like the Darksiders serie but your personal views really aren't general facts. Neither are mine obviously. People are entitled to think and like whatever they want. As it should be.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:41 PM   #19
ThePumpkinKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoborg View Post
I'm not sad, I'm kind of happy. Darksiders is a very overrated franchise. Sure, they have some novel ideas when it comes to story telling but everything else about the universe including the gameplay is utterly prosaic and forgettable.

I can wager you this: you can miss playing a DS game and still not miss out on much. You can play a DS game and be somewhat satisfied. It's what I would like to call a filler game. A decent enough game to play in between bigger and better releases.

In the end, this is about evolution. Survival of the fittest. The fact of the matter is that DS is just not good enough of a franchise to survive. But honestly? They should have killed off Metro too, also very overrated.
The series wasn't overrated. If anything, it was underrated. How many new IPs, aside from Gears, started during this console generation? And were succeful enough to launch sequels? I'd wager that Gears and Darksiders were the only two. That's a hell of an accomplishment in an industry overrun with sequels.

Maybe you didn't like it. But that doesn't mean they didn't do a hell of a job creating an original IP that had successfully started a franchise.

And this "evolution" you speak of? Get your head out of your ass. Vigil and Darksiders didn't fail. Darksider 2 sales may not have been stellar. But it released in August. August is a bad month for sales. And it still sold well enough to warrant a port to the Wii-U.

Fact is, again. Vigil and Darksiders did not fail. THQ did.
Resident Evil 5
Old 01-27-2013, 01:39 AM   #20
Hoborg
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePumpkinKing View Post
The series wasn't overrated. If anything, it was underrated. How many new IPs, aside from Gears, started during this console generation? And were succeful enough to launch sequels? I'd wager that Gears and Darksiders were the only two. That's a hell of an accomplishment in an industry overrun with sequels.
How about:
Dead Space
Batman
Kane and Lynch
Army of Two
Dead Island
Assassin's Creed
Crackdown
Portal
Battlefield Bad Company
Dark souls
Ghost Recon
Dead Rising
Mass Effect
Star Wars TFU
Viva Pinata
Dragon Age
Bioshock
Condemned
Ninety Nine Nights
Lost Planet
Left 4 Dead
Saints Row
The Darkness
Overlord
Ultimate Alliance
Borderlands

Need I go on Sir?
Hoborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:51 PM   #21
Wicelow

Wicelow's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Silver
Quote:
Need I go on Sir?
Please do, I'm laughing so hard right now...
"Only Gears and Darksiders"

On topic, Darksiders going away would be a terrific waste that's for sure...

Wicelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:27 PM   #22
cutterk73

cutterk73's Gamercard
Quote:

you are just an all around straight up buzz kill arent you?

cutterk73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #23
TacticalTodger
Banned User

Send a message via MSN to TacticalTodger Send a message via Skype™ to TacticalTodger

SAUSAGE R0LLS's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Quote:
How about:
Dead Space
Batman
Kane and Lynch
Army of Two
Dead Island
Assassin's Creed
Crackdown
Portal
Battlefield Bad Company
Dark souls
Ghost Recon
Dead Rising
Mass Effect
Star Wars TFU
Viva Pinata
Dragon Age
Bioshock
Condemned
Ninety Nine Nights
Lost Planet
Left 4 Dead
Saints Row
The Darkness
Overlord
Ultimate Alliance
Borderlands

Need I go on Sir?
These sequels suck :P
TacticalTodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #24
Luis Ownz

Donut Deity's Gamercard
I'm honestly surprised that the Metro series managed to get a buyer but Darksiders didn't. Darksiders is one of my favorite series in recent years so hopefully there will be a Darksiders 3 without sacrificing much.

Also, Sony Santa Monica is showing interest in acquiring the series
"Darksiders is one of those games with all sorts of potential that never quite accomplishes what it sets out to do. As a PlayStation exclusive running on Sony’s next-gen system, however, it could be spectacular."

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarnedCargo View Post
Does Darksiders have MP?
No and hopefully it stays that way if the series does continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodGodAlucard View Post
That's good to hear. I really like Platinum Games. They always do great work. So I'd be happy if they acquired the IP. A little crazy Japanese flair that Platinum is known for could really invigorate this series in my opinion. I hope this ends up happening.
"Japanese flair" in Darksiders? HAHAHA NO THANKS.

Also, LOL at the person who said Darksiders is overrated.

Luis Ownz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #25
AeroSpartacus

AeroSpartacus's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Ownz View Post
I'm honestly surprised that the Metro series managed to get a buyer but Darksiders didn't. Darksiders is one of my favorite series in recent years so hopefully there will be a Darksiders 3 without sacrificing much.

Also, Sony Santa Monica is showing interest in acquiring the series
"Darksiders is one of those games with all sorts of potential that never quite accomplishes what it sets out to do. As a PlayStation exclusive running on Sony’s next-gen system, however, it could be spectacular."

No and hopefully it stays that way if the series does continue.

"Japanese flair" in Darksiders? HAHAHA NO THANKS.

Also, LOL at the person who said Darksiders is overrated.
I'd hate for it to be a PS exclusive, seeing as how that would cut out a decent portion of the people who originally played it (including me). That being said, it's better for there to be a PS exclusive game I'll probably never play than no game at all (see: Bayonetta 2).
AeroSpartacus is offline   Reply With Quote