Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Adventure > Alan Wake
Subscribe    Donate

Old 08-16-2012, 10:18 PM   #61
defiance ohio

defiance ohio's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackGateInc View Post
Don't spoil the game by going out of your way for collectibles.

Alan Wake is an amazing experience. Do it right.
That's exactly what I was thinking, thanks for confirming it for me!

Thanks for the sig, Rajeanero!
defiance ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:32 AM   #62
twinkie

a gijoeindapupr's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by defiance ohio View Post
Gamefly is sending me the game as we speak! Would you all recommend going for the collectibles on the first run through or just forgetting about them and just enjoying the game for the first play?? I can't decide
keep the collectibles for later. some of them (manuscripts) only appeared on nightmare difficulty that you unlock after finishing the game so don't waste time on that

twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:16 AM   #63
FeatherbottomMR

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
one of my favorite games....
FeatherbottomMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:08 PM   #64
Buruma

burumanet's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Bronze   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Same. I still have a strong urge to replay this game from time to time. One of the few games that I genuinely enjoyed getting 100% in. None of the achievements really felt like a chore. Well, other than the coffee thermoses perhaps.

Last edited by Buruma; 08-22-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Buruma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #65
hengzt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buruma View Post
Same. I still have a strong urge to replay this game from time to time. One of the few games that I genuinely enjoyed getting 100% in. None of the achievements really felt like a chore. Well, other than the coffee thermoses perhaps.
Indeed. Thats really pain in the ass
hengzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:38 AM   #66
FeatherbottomMR

Yeah there were a lot of collectables...
FeatherbottomMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:31 AM   #67
InfernalTuv

InfernalTuv's Gamercard
hell yes and it is a bargain now

InfernalTuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #68
Floyd XBA
Community Representative

Floyd XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1   Subscriber - Bronze   1,000 Posts   XBA Representer
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
I found it for $10 used and am very glad I made the purchase. It's an excellently written slow burn, so if you enjoy a good story with a few tense moments, it's a no-brainer.
Floyd XBA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #69
Ninja Eagle

Captain Cotchy's Gamercard

Exactly, you can get it for less then $20 and it is one of the best games i've played.

Ninja Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #70
Jaxl187

Jaxl187's Gamercard
Best game of that year imo, c'mon Remedy, give me Alan Wake 2
Jaxl187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #71
ryan9483

ryan9483's Gamercard
An oldie but goodie. Probably around 20 bucks now and worth it. Certainly helps if you're a fan of classic sci fi shows like the Twilight Zone or Twin Peaks.
ryan9483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #72
Jamski

Send a message via MSN to Jamski Send a message via Skype™ to Jamski

jamski07's Gamercard
I'm half way through and have stopped as I started to find it very repetitive. Must pick it up again though as it is a great game, looks brilliant, but as I said, it is a bit samey.

Daddy, husband, designer, gamer, geek

Jamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #73
redyxia

Redyxia's Gamercard
Just a very good game ... DLC are very well too and I even think that it will be good to buy the new prelude "All american nightmare" =)
redyxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:26 PM   #74
johnbr

darth cooter ap's Gamercard
I'm generally not into this style but at the same point, it completely redefines this style as well...i loved this game
johnbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:57 PM   #75
raimic

unluckycinamon's Gamercard
An excelent game! And don't play it on "mute"
raimic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:23 AM   #76
Spade.

Send a message via Skype™ to Spade.

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Donator - Level 2   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff Club - Minty   Over Achiever - Bronze   Micro Guide - Bronze   Ambassador 1x1 Competition - Second Place   Submit - Silver
Total Awards: 14 (more» ...)
Gamewise: YES! An experience you won't soon forget.

Achievement wise: No real difficulty except for grinding for the collectables.

I got mine for $20, so it was a small risk for me.
Spade. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:33 PM   #77
three man taxi

Three Man Taxi's Gamercard
my friend recomended this game for me I picked it up for 4 what a bargain alot of replay value with all the collectables
three man taxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:52 PM   #78
StannersTheMan

StannersTheMan's Gamercard
So excited to get stuck into this game, bought if for like a fiver last week.
StannersTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #79
Birdseye

I got mine back in 2011 - for almost full price Still worth it. Amazing experience.
Birdseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:02 AM   #80
Dudek

i got this game on sale and didn't expect much but [to me] it is very intense at times and a very well written plot / story.
Dudek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #81
Vic2Point0

Vic 2point0's Gamercard
Just finished my sixth playthrough. I guess I can admit it now, I'm addicted. And it's the very thing I hear most people complain about that has me hooked. I just can't get over the gameplay. I don't think it's any more "repetitive" than any other shooter, really.

But then the atmosphere may have something to do with it. Love the nighttime. Love storms. And apparently, I love suspense! Who knew?
Vic2Point0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #82
jamiefors

Jamiefors's Gamercard
Reading this had made up my mind, cheers guys i'm gonna get this
Old 10-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #83
PHub07

PHub07's Gamercard
Games like this are a rare gem.....this game got the worst wrap of any game this gen. Most underrated game I have EVER played. It does not lag in a single aspect of what it trys to do...everything this game is supposed to be it pulls off perfectly...I loved everything about it and cant waitfor more. The only thing htat bothers me is in new nightmare it kinda seems like its going to take a more "action" route which is fine by me as long as NONE of the other elements suffer for it. Sadly that never seems to be thecase though in video game sequels that try to change themselves.....
Old 10-29-2013, 09:53 AM   #84
WIN308ROB

Sir Spawncelot's Gamercard
I found this to be an "OK" game - I liked the unique story, but it didn't give me the incentive to replay for collectibles, once was enough.

Last edited by WIN308ROB; 10-29-2013 at 09:54 AM. Reason: sp
WIN308ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #85
Vic2Point0

Vic 2point0's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIN308ROB View Post
I found this to be an "OK" game - I liked the unique story, but it didn't give me the incentive to replay for collectibles, once was enough.
It did for me! I've played it six times now. Started replaying it for the collectibles but then the story started going deeper than I had planned. So I wanted to replay it again, and again. Then, I was hooked on the combat and atmosphere so I played it some more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHub07 View Post
The only thing htat bothers me is in new nightmare it kinda seems like its going to take a more "action" route which is fine by me as long as NONE of the other elements suffer for it. Sadly that never seems to be thecase though in video game sequels that try to change themselves.....
Have you played Alan Wake's American Nightmare? It's not all bad. Still pretty creepy. A memorable experience, but not in the same way as the original game. There are several changes to the original format that work together in diminishing the fear/suspense, or even keep it from being particularly thrilling:

1. You can now run quite a long distance before getting winded. I don't think you can run fast enough to outrun the Taken (thankfully) but it still takes a lot of the suspense out of the game, knowing you can book it to the nearest Safe Haven pretty easily if things get rough.
2. Your flashlight recharges at a ridiculously fast rate. It wasn't uncommon for me to completely forget it ever ran out of charge while playing. However unnecessary the batteries felt in the first game, they're a complete waste of space in this one!
3. The atmosphere is creepy enough, but the feeling of impending doom is generally a thing of the past. The wind doesn't pick up anything like in the first game unless you try to go off the map. At this point you're met with an invisible wall and a couple Taken show up (usually a safe distance away). In general, random encounters with the Taken are a joke. Not that many of them show up, and they take longer to show than in the first no matter what section you go to. For a game that supposedly "focuses more on the combat", there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of that in it compared to the first.
4. Most people like the added weapons. I'm okay with them with the exception of the semi-automatics. I'm sorry, this single-handedly turns the game into just another shooter with a twist of Alan Wake. There's no such thing as fearing anything when you're practically holding a machine gun!
5. There's at least one infinite ammo box in every map (and the maps aren't that large). These don't just refill your pistol ammo, though, but your secondary more powerful weapon as well. Basically they took the one true flaw of the original game (too much ammo in most areas) and made it even worse.
6. It being essentially a sandbox style game (just with three, smaller sandboxes instead of one large map) doesn't help either. You're given fairly small tasks more often than not, which you can load up at a safe place and prepare to take on any way you choose. I normally don't like linear games, but because these elements do not work well in the horror/thriller genre (IMO), I'm really glad they didn't make Alan Wake open world.

It's a good thing they took off auto-aim. At first, I didn't like it, but I soon realized the game would've been far too easy if they had kept it.

So AWAN is worth a play-through, but you're going to be far more inclined to replay the original before replaying this one (unless you get into the arcade mode, which is fun but could've been made better also with multiplayer and the ability to unlock every weapon in every map, stuff like that).

Last edited by Vic2Point0; 11-01-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Vic2Point0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:20 AM   #86
Dudek

I still play AWAN Arcade Mode trying to better my high score. Even on familiar well played maps like Ghost Town you can always work on your timing and multiplier which if done right you can have a 9 multiplier at the last 10 seconds of the game just as new enemies spawn right at sunrise which boosts your score significantly. You need to go 10 minutes undamaged to keep the multiplier up and this can be challenging as enemies spawn randomly so you never play the same map the same exact way twice. Arcade Mode is still a lot of fun for an intense 10 minutes.
Dudek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:15 PM   #87
Aidexx

Aidexx's Gamercard
Definitely worth buying and one of the most underrated games on 360. I really like the episode based storyline and the characters are interesting.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:29 AM   #88
Finleo

Finleo's Gamercard
Quite ok game...
Finleo is offline   Reply With Quote