PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Strategy > XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Subscribe    Donate

Old 12-09-2012, 10:32 PM   #1
damtalldylan

damtalldylan's Gamercard
Slingshot DLC: Is it worth it?

Rate 1-10

*Got the DLC, it is a good price for what it offers and it does make your harder play-throughs somewhat easier.

7/10
R.I.P Xbox #1 10/1/08 (Cause of death: E 74)
R.I.P Xbox #2 8/30/9 (Cause of death: Faulty Disk drive)
Xbox #3 Retired 6/27/11 (Sold)
Xbox #4 (Slim) Alive

128th RANKED in MASSACHUSETTS

eBay auctions HERE

Last edited by damtalldylan; 08-09-2013 at 09:57 PM.
damtalldylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:11 AM   #2
DEG23
Wanderlusting

DEG23 x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase CABS Beta Tester   Staff - Moderator   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff Club - Rajeanero   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   Staff Club - TemporalWizard   Staff Club - Minty   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   Staff Club - Shinobi273   Staff Club - Tyger7   Staff Club - Madhatters13
Total Awards: 23 (more» ...)
To be honest if money is an issue, i would say wait until DoTW. The new missions aren't anything special, apart from new maps, the three can be finished in a half an hour.

The new customisable options are a nice addition but don't really add anything and the new squad member is just like any other heavy, except he has a unique voice.

On a side note, the new missions do introduce tougher enemies and some research projects earlier than normal, so it does kind of change the way you play the overall game. If you are a fan, then yes buy it but like i said above, if money is the main issue, then wait until it's cheaper.

Last edited by DEG23; 12-10-2012 at 04:14 AM.
DEG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
damtalldylan

damtalldylan's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEG23 View Post
To be honest if money is an issue, i would say wait until DoTW. The new missions aren't anything special, apart from new maps, the three can be finished in a half an hour.

The new customisable options are a nice addition but don't really add anything and the new squad member is just like any other heavy, except he has a unique voice.

On a side note, the new missions do introduce tougher enemies and some research projects earlier than normal, so it does kind of change the way you play the overall game. If you are a fan, then yes buy it but like i said above, if money is the main issue, then wait until it's cheaper.
Are the new maps added to the regular mix in the campaign?
R.I.P Xbox #1 10/1/08 (Cause of death: E 74)
R.I.P Xbox #2 8/30/9 (Cause of death: Faulty Disk drive)
Xbox #3 Retired 6/27/11 (Sold)
Xbox #4 (Slim) Alive

128th RANKED in MASSACHUSETTS

eBay auctions HERE
damtalldylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:00 PM   #4
DEG23
Wanderlusting

DEG23 x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase CABS Beta Tester   Staff - Moderator   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff Club - Rajeanero   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   Staff Club - TemporalWizard   Staff Club - Minty   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   Staff Club - Shinobi273   Staff Club - Tyger7   Staff Club - Madhatters13
Total Awards: 23 (more» ...)
Yeah, when the first council mission comes through in month 1 you are given the option of playing the normal mission or the DLC. Choose the DLC and the next 3 missions will all be the DLC ones.
DEG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #5
pauly_27

It also makes your harder playthroughs a bit easier, if thats any help.

You get a decent level heavy early on, and the gangplank mission gives you a lot of resources.

But in terms of actual content, I'd say it's not worth it's current price.
pauly_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:03 AM   #6
The Grendel

The Grendel's Gamercard
It's not worth it if financial concerns are there... I got it just to support the game.

I would have loved to see some new enemy types!
The Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:05 AM   #7
trank

Trank 209's Gamercard
i want to get this DLC.
trank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #8
Minarvia

Minarvia1980's Gamercard
Yes, I said get and support this game, it is a great game and real refreshing one as well.
Minarvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #9
the emcee

the emcee's Gamercard
Agreed...its a little light on length but its worth the money imo...this game begs more than one playthrough so chances are you will get more time out of it that way. The resources you get are very helpful too. Buy it dude.
the emcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:16 PM   #10
STB Bodam

STB Bodam's Gamercard
For me, it was worth it just for the customization.

Is it essential? No, you're perfectly fine without it but it was (slightly) challenging and I was excited to play it. Was it worth it? $7, you tell me. I spend $7 on a pack of smokes every day and all that's giving me is lung cancer - this, this is worth every penny you spend on it (X-Com: Enemy Unknown, any of it that is).
Old 05-05-2013, 05:04 AM   #11
ARunninTurtle

ARunninTurtle's Gamercard
i just recieved the game and was wondering should i download everything before my first playthrough or wait till i have beat it once
ARunninTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:43 AM   #12
DemonRaider1138

DemonRaider1138's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARunninTurtle View Post
i just recieved the game and was wondering should i download everything before my first playthrough or wait till i have beat it once
If you want all the achievements you will need to download it. Downloading it on your first playthrough does make things much easier due to the fact that it gives you a mission on a battleship and if you get good at the game and use this dlc mission to bypass all future council missions in the harder playthroughs. Without it you have to let ufo's escape after building a stronger ship with the best weapons and then shoot one down as it tries to destroy your satellites. More so the level they give you provided you don't just destroy everything will give you just enough resources from it to cover the research for those particular resources as well as build 2 advance Rocket Launchers for your heavies and with any squad makeup you will never want more than two heavies in your group.

If you do the first mission and get the new guy, then proceed to continually hold off on the next one by declining it, the dlc mission will override all future council missions and not penalize you for turning it down. They will bug you quite frequently about it though so it can get a bit annoying.

Also the dlc character if found to have the "Gift" will be much stronger than other characters. After 6 playthroughs and having my person that has it has been every class with one being a heavy that isn't him I can say that he is the best one. Most characters can take out at most 3/4ths of the major enemies health bar(s). The DLC guy can kill nearly everything in one shot with the move he learns on the final mission. This makes the final level on the hardest playthroughs a walk in the park.
DemonRaider1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:48 AM   #13
Elctrchead

Elctrchead's Gamercard
Realize I am putting my 2 cents worth in a little late but I thought the dlc was pretty decent. Kinda pricey considering how little content is involved but I really like this game so I was ok with it
Old 08-07-2013, 08:43 PM   #14
Repo

Send a message via MSN to Repo

x RepoUK x's Gamercard
The DLC makes the game easier? Is it worth getting this then before doing the Ironman run?

I've nearly finished my Impossible difficulty run but I have been doing quite a few reloads (although sometimes these were just to correct me not looking WTF I was doing properly )
Old 08-08-2013, 11:50 AM   #15
Scnew

scnew's Gamercard
I actually feel it makes it harder for the first few months. The month two mission will put you up against mutons when you're probably not armored and lasered up, though stunning one and getting plasma research bonus that early is awesome. Plus the three council missions don't provide panic reduction like normal ones do. Once you get over the hump and beat it though you'll be in a great place.
Scnew is offline   Reply With Quote