PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion > The Sports Bar
Subscribe    Donate

Old 02-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #91
bigbear2face

bigbear2face's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Chris Carpenter is probably done for his career. Almost definitely for this season.

Its a shame. Carp has been one of the great people in baseball during his time here in St. Louis. A great teammate and a great player. If he had been able to stay healthy and pitch like he did here with the Cardinals his entire career we'd be talking about a first ballot Hall of Famer.

Alea Iacta Est
MAL

Awesome pic provided by Dirty130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Kasai View Post
Simply because most people are idiots and don't think.
bigbear2face is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #92
Rasp

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear2face View Post
Chris Carpenter is probably done for his career. Almost definitely for this season.

Its a shame. Carp has been one of the great people in baseball during his time here in St. Louis. A great teammate and a great player. If he had been able to stay healthy and pitch like he did here with the Cardinals his entire career we'd be talking about a first ballot Hall of Famer.
Heard about that. Unfortunate end to a great career. He was awesome when he was healthy, especially in the playoffs for the Cardinals. Although, I still think he got robbed of a second Cy Young in 2009.
Rasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #93
bigbear2face

bigbear2face's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasp View Post
Heard about that. Unfortunate end to a great career. He was awesome when he was healthy, especially in the playoffs for the Cardinals. Although, I still think he got robbed of a second Cy Young in 2009.
As good a season as he had I have to disagree. In both 2009 and 2010 Carp had great seasons but I'd argue that teammate Adam Wainwright had better seasons. Either one could have won the Cy Young both those years (though Halladay probably deserved it in 2010). There is no way Lincecum wins the award in '09 if Carp and Waino don't steal votes from each other. The numbers are clear. Still, my vote would have been for Waino over Carp that year.

Alea Iacta Est
MAL

Quote:
Old 02-06-2013, 10:59 PM   #94
Spanish Assault

Send a message via Skype™ to Spanish Assault

Spanish Assault's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Micro Guide - Silver   Road Map - Bronze   Community Gaming - Platinum   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   10,000 posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Quote:

Good...hated him. Seemed like all he did was beat the giants in the playoffs.

Spanish Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:39 AM   #95
Blasphemy

Blasphemer's Gamercard
Quote:
I wouldn't put O'Flahrety as a closer. Hasn't proved it he can close. Neither has Venters. I think it's unanimous that Kimbrel is the best closer in baseball, im not gonna argue that one. But Clippard has proven he can have success as a closer, so has Storen. And Soriano had a fantastic season for the Yankees last year, I don't see why he cant do it again.

The lineups are very similar. I think the Braves have more pop, but they don't have a lead-off hitter. They don't have a 3rd baseman. And although I think its a good trade, Justin Uptons WAR was the same as Martin Prado's last season. I expect Harper to have a huge season, I personally think he just scratched the surface last season.

I still stand with what I said. I think the Nationals are a 95-100 win team and the Braves are a 90 win team. I just don't think they have the rotation to do it. Especially when we all know Medlen won't do what he did last year.
Clippard and Storen have shown they can get saves. They still don't have closer stuff. Just because Venters and O'Flaherty haven't closed doesn't change the fact they have the stuff to close. Soriano is decent but nowhere near worth the contract he got.

Having a leadoff hitter is one of the most overrated things in baseball. The 2013 Braves are built around power and speed. You don't need a guy that can take a walk and come around to score on a couple of steals and groundouts/flyouts when he can just hit a solo-homerun. They don't have a 3rd baseman but that platoon can put up 20+ homers and there's nothing stopping the Braves from trading for a full time 3b at the deadline.

Justin Upton had a down year. 1 year after finishing 4th in the MVP balloting. Prado had a good year. 1 year after posting a .261 AVG and .301 OBP. You can't judge a player by 1 year. With Justin Upton, the sky is the limit. Prado will never have speed or power.

Funny you should mention Medlen regressing when almost all of the Nats had career years last year. For example, Gio Gonzalez won't do what he did last year again. That and almost every break seemed to go their way. That doesn't take away from what they did but they played above their skill. They are still a great team but everyone doesn't need to be handing them the WS trophy already. It's going to be a tight race between the Nats and Braves.
Blasphemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:18 AM   #96
bigbear2face

bigbear2face's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasphemy View Post
Funny you should mention Medlen regressing when almost all of the Nats had career years last year. For example, Gio Gonzalez won't do what he did last year again. That and almost every break seemed to go their way. That doesn't take away from what they did but they played above their skill. They are still a great team but everyone doesn't need to be handing them the WS trophy already. It's going to be a tight race between the Nats and Braves.

Gio Gonzalez might not even play next year...Well he might miss 50 or so games that is...

Which brings me to another subject...Steroid suspensions (and suspensions in general) for starting pitchers. When a starting pitcher gets busted for steroids he should miss 50 starts. Not 50 of his team's games.

Anyway...Good point about the Nats. I expect a come down from that pitching staff. They are a talented young team but they played above that talent during last year's regular season. The only thing that might make them as good as last season is having Strasburg the whole season.

Alea Iacta Est
MAL

Quote:
Old 02-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #97
Burning Karma

Send a message via MSN to Burning Karma

Burning Karma's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   Over Achiever - Bronze   2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Quote:
Which brings me to another subject...Steroid suspensions (and suspensions in general) for starting pitchers. When a starting pitcher gets busted for steroids he should miss 50 starts. Not 50 of his team's games.
Agreed. I hate when a starting pitcher is suspended for x amount of games, he only misses x/5 starts.

"Lived, lives, will live."
"Died, dies, will die."

Last edited by Burning Karma; 02-08-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Burning Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #98
Blasphemy

Blasphemer's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Karma View Post
Agreed. I hate when a starting pitcher is suspended for x amount of games, he only misses x/5 starts.
Like how Cole Hamels was suspended for 5 games last year but all that did was push his next start back 1 day. It's a joke.

In other news, Bourn still remains unsigned just 3 days from pitchers and catchers reporting. The Mutts are the only team actually interested at this point. This is an embarrassing fuck up on Boras' part considering all the teams that needed OF help coming into the offseason. Maybe now he will change his approach.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #99
Rasp

Quote:
In other news, Bourn still remains unsigned just 3 days from pitchers and catchers reporting. The Mutts are the only team actually interested at this point. This is an embarrassing fuck up on Boras' part considering all the teams that needed OF help coming into the offseason. Maybe now he will change his approach.
What makes signing Bourn tough is the compensation pick teams would have to give up. I'm sure there are 10 teams that would happily give him a 1 year contract if they didn't have to give up a first round pick to do so.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #100
bigbear2face

bigbear2face's Gamercard

Quote:
Like how Cole Hamels was suspended for 5 games last year but all that did was push his next start back 1 day. It's a joke.

Bourn isn't the only Boras client in that situation. Kyle Lohse is in the same boat. Part of the problem for both players (I think, I know its part of the problem for Lohse) is that their old teams put in qualifying offers so any team that signs them owes the old team draft pick compensation.

Alea Iacta Est
MAL

Quote:
Old 02-09-2013, 04:39 AM   #101
Dog Face

In Marshall's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Silver   1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmona25 View Post
Good...hated him. Seemed like all he did was beat the giants in the playoffs.
Wishing injury or for someone not to return goes against (pro) sports.
Dog Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #102
nicky6314

Tiffee6314's Gamercard
Quote:
Bourn isn't the only Boras client in that situation. Kyle Lohse is in the same boat. Part of the problem for both players (I think, I know its part of the problem for Lohse) is that their old teams put in qualifying offers so any team that signs them owes the old team draft pick compensation.
It's absolutely a problem for Lohse, no team thinks he's good enough to give up the draft pick. For Bourn, I think his asking price was so high to begin with and it hasn't dropped. I read he was looking for 5Y/$75M, whereas Pagan got 4Y/40M. But it's Scott Boras, so he still may get that after all.

Currently Playing - Halo 4, Mass Effect 3, Dishonored
nicky6314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #103
bigbear2face

bigbear2face's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky6314 View Post
It's absolutely a problem for Lohse, no team thinks he's good enough to give up the draft pick. For Bourn, I think his asking price was so high to begin with and it hasn't dropped. I read he was looking for 5Y/$75M, whereas Pagan got 4Y/40M. But it's Scott Boras, so he still may get that after all.

Sounds like Bourn has finally signed with someone.

The Indians. I think I read that it was a $48M deal (don't know the years)

Alea Iacta Est
MAL

Quote:
Old 02-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #104
Burning Karma

Send a message via MSN to Burning Karma

Burning Karma's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   Over Achiever - Bronze   2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Quote:
Sounds like Bourn has finally signed with someone.

The Indians. I think I read that it was a $48M deal (don't know the years)
4 years. $12 million/year.

"Lived, lives, will live."
"Died, dies, will die."
Burning Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:31 AM   #105
Rasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Karma View Post
4 years. $12 million/year.
Horrible contract. That's all that needs to be said.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #106
bigbear2face

bigbear2face's Gamercard

Quote:
Horrible contract. That's all that needs to be said.

The guy is still pretty young. Has had one of the highest WARs of any outfielder in baseball over the last several seasons and is an above average defender with elite speed.

I'm not sure its a terrible contract for the Indians. Especially at only 4 years.

Alea Iacta Est
MAL

Quote:
Old 02-13-2013, 10:46 PM   #107
Rasp

Quote:
The guy is still pretty young. Has had one of the highest WARs of any outfielder in baseball over the last several seasons and is an above average defender with elite speed.

I'm not sure its a terrible contract for the Indians. Especially at only 4 years.
I just feel the Indians aren't in the position pitching wise to compete for a playoff spot this year, especially with how strong the other 2 divisions are looking.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:21 PM   #108
Wildmn34

Wildmn34's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Quote:

But, it also has a vesting option for a 5th year depending on at bats in 2016 (I believe). Which would make it a 5 year deal and 12 million more.

He's a Boras client so he'll always be over paid. That said I like him as a player.

Thanks Rajeanero for the awesome work.
Wildmn34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:49 AM   #109
Rasp

We're half way through February and Kyle Lohse still doesn't have a contract... Good one Scott Boras.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #110
bigbear2face

bigbear2face's Gamercard

Quote:
We're half way through February and Kyle Lohse still doesn't have a contract... Good one Scott Boras.

This isn't the first time Boras has done this to Lohse either.

Back when the Cardinals first signed him they got him in February and were able to sign him to a cheap 1 year "pillow" deal. One of those short deals Boras likes to negotiate while the player proves he deserves a long term deal. Lohse then earned that long term deal from the Cardinals.

I would say that this may happen again but the whole draft pick compensation thing makes getting a deal like that done very difficult. Who is going to give up a 1st round pick to sign a guy for 1 year with no guarantee of getting a long term deal done after that?

This really sucks for Kyle. He is a great guy, solid #3 (or better) pitcher and a great teammate.

Alea Iacta Est
MAL

Quote:
Old 02-16-2013, 08:09 PM   #111
nicky6314

Tiffee6314's Gamercard
Quote:
I just feel the Indians aren't in the position pitching wise to compete for a playoff spot this year, especially with how strong the other 2 divisions are looking.
Completely agree. Not sure Myers and Bauer upgrade their rotation that much. Offense is miles better though

Currently Playing - Halo 4, Mass Effect 3, Dishonored
nicky6314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:56 PM   #112
Rasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky6314 View Post
Completely agree. Not sure Myers and Bauer upgrade their rotation that much. Offense is miles better though
Although I agree that Bourn improves their lineup greatly, I don't see Swisher having the year he did last year. I think Stubbs is a downgrade from Choo. And you never know what you're gonna get from Mark Reynolds. Although I do expect Asdrubal Cabrera to have a big year.

And their rotation is a mess, lets be honest.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:48 AM   #113
Rasp

Spring training began today, and my beloved Jays start their spring training tomorrow against the Tigers. WoooooHooooo!!!
Old 02-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #114
I H8ME I Santos

x l Santos's Gamercard
Quote:
Spring training began today, and my beloved Jays start their spring training tomorrow against the Tigers. WoooooHooooo!!!
Yay!! My Padres won their game 9-3. I only hope they can do something like that when the regular season starts. Lol
Now Playing: Ryse: Son of Rome

Xbox One 100% completion
I H8ME I Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #115
bigbear2face

bigbear2face's Gamercard

Quote:

Either you have a very different definition of the beginning of spring training then I do or some teams' pitchers and catchers are reporting very late...

Alea Iacta Est
MAL

Quote:
Old 02-24-2013, 06:15 PM   #116
Rasp

Quote:
Either you have a very different definition of the beginning of spring training then I do or some teams' pitchers and catchers are reporting very late...
By spring training beginning, I mean Cactus League and Grapefruit League games are starting...
Old 02-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #117
bigbear2face

bigbear2face's Gamercard

Quote:
By spring training beginning, I mean Cactus League and Grapefruit League games are starting...

I'm going to go ahead and be pedantic for a moment:

Spring Training starts when pitchers and catchers report.

The Exhibition schedule starts when games start.

Alea Iacta Est
MAL

Quote:
Old 02-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #118
Blasphemy

Blasphemer's Gamercard
Quote:
I'm going to go ahead and be pedantic for a moment:

Spring Training starts when pitchers and catchers report.

The Exhibition schedule starts when games start.
Sure, it starts for the players but not for the fans.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:13 PM   #119
bigbear2face

bigbear2face's Gamercard

Quote:
Sure, it starts for the players but not for the fans.

Unless you're a fan that enjoys a lot more about the sport then just the games. Some of the most interesting stuff about spring training comes well before the games start.

Plus, this first week or so of games is pretty much pure trash. Split Squads, guys with no chance of making the 25 man roster etc...The stuff happening on the practice fields is still more interesting then the games themselves.

I don't know about your media but the Post Dispatch and local radio shows devote a ridiculous amount of time and space to covering all the non-exhibition related parts of spring training.

Alea Iacta Est
MAL

Quote:
Old 02-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #120
RobbieTheKiller

WingZ3ro V2's Gamercard
Indians are 4-0. Lol

14 XBLA
16 Retail
Thanks to Xerofox for the great Sig!
RobbieTheKiller is offline   Reply With Quote