PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Silent Hill HD Collection
Subscribe    Donate

Old 10-05-2012, 08:02 AM   #1
GSTAR321

GSTAR321's Gamercard
First time playing ... My Thoughts ...

Wow ...

I haven't even finished this game yet and it is amazing.

The first hour or two of the game was the hardest for me in terms of 'staying interested'. I'm not really used to 'slow-paced' games these days, mostly due to the influx of 'action-horror' titles like Resident Evil 5 & 6, and even Dead Space to an extent. So it took me a bit of adjusting to just relax, and stop worrying how many 'machine gun rounds' I had.

But because I am a big survival horror junkie, I decided to give this game a go after owning it for some time.

I just completed the prison area and am still making my way through. This game is the epiphany of survival horror. I can't believe I didn't play this back in the day. What was I thinking? ...

The game's use of dark ambience, horror tones and music (by Akira Yamoka) combined with horrifying environments and a sense of total isolation is truly chilling. At some points I felt sick playing ... and at some points I would stare at a door for 5 minutes instead of opening it because I didn't want to 'see what was on the other side', completley terrified.

It's amazing how simplistic the game is compared to newer games nowdays and yet, it manages to make me 'feel' more. It's a shame games like this don't really exist anymore. This game has made it into my 'top 10' games of all time.

The Survival Horror genre has really declined as of late. The recent release of Resident Evil 6 shows how it is evolving ... action THEN 'some horror'. I have accepted that this is the way the genre is heading, but hope at some point another game with the same tone, feel and sense of dread like Silent Hill 2 is made.

A masterpiece.

P.S. If you enjoyed this, check out the 'Under-The-Radar' gem called "Deadly Premonition" released in 2010.
GSTAR321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:52 AM   #2
Neme6ben

neme6ben's Gamercard
I'm glad to see you like it, I'm with you on this. There's just one thing you mentionned that isn't really true... You said the game was simple, believe me, it's not at all, with all the different endings, all the theories and mystries. You'll understand once you'll finish it!

and you were right on everything else lol, specially the " Masterpiece " !
Neme6ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:59 AM   #3
GSTAR321

GSTAR321's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neme6ben View Post
I'm glad to see you like it, I'm with you on this. There's just one thing you mentionned that isn't really true... You said the game was simple, believe me, it's not at all, with all the different endings, all the theories and mystries. You'll understand once you'll finish it!

and you were right on everything else lol, specially the " Masterpiece " !
When I said 'simple', I meant it was simple in the sense controls-wise.

There aren't many buttons to use as oppossed to games nowdays where virtually every button is mapped to a move or action.

In this game it was just basically left stick to move aroud RT+A to melee or shoot.
GSTAR321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
Neme6ben

neme6ben's Gamercard
oh ok, but you were right anyway lol, the game is amazing, the 2nd one is better than the 3rd one imo!
Neme6ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:26 PM   #5
TheMacallan

dethbringer1778's Gamercard
I agree, I can't believe I didn't pick this up back in the day. Sadly it doesn't really apply past SH3. I tried playing Silent Hill 4: The Room and found myself bored to tears.
TheMacallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:30 PM   #6
The Silence

xMASSxKhaotic's Gamercard
Can't say much for Silent Hill 2 as of yet, but Silent Hill 3 I managed to beat twice over within about ~4 hours. Lots of fun, definitely very interesting, though the excessive use of untouched areas is a bit saddening. Though no one really wants to lurking about in Silent Hill for too long to see the scenery anyway... You never know when something will pop out to thoroughly destroy your anus.

Ahem.
The Silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
Miss Allen86

Miss Allen86's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSTAR321 View Post
Wow ...

P.S. If you enjoyed this, check out the 'Under-The-Radar' gem called "Deadly Premonition" released in 2010.

lol Yes Deadly premonition was brilliant. Did you know they are making a sequel. Loved how insane the main character was. Really an under the radar game but very good.

Join my group - Survival Horror Lovers

Miss Allen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:30 PM   #8
Mapmakermaster

Mapmakermaster's Gamercard
Playing Silent Hill 2 for the first time tomorrow night. Very excited!
Mapmakermaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:43 PM   #9
Alvette

AbhorrentOaks's Gamercard
Silent Hill 2 probably had me freaked out more than any game I've ever played. The nice simplicity in the controls leaves just enough to be desired that you panic whenever you see more than one enemy. Playing in the dark, alone, with the volume up high is definitely the way to play it.
Alvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:29 PM   #10
Charkon

f3arce charkon's Gamercard
When I first started playing this game I expected it to be more of a Resident Evil clone, so I expected some jumps, but mostly survival. I even played with a couple of friends, each of us had our own tv and console hooked up. WE were caught off guard as all three of us would constantly pause to just let the horror sink in, this games environments and ambiance is probably the best of any game I've ever played
Charkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:01 PM   #11
x_mania

XmaniaX's Gamercard
Just started this game (currently on sale) and i'm absolutely loving it. Very good ambiance, which keeps me at the edge of my seat.

Can't wait to see how the game will unfold further on.

Last edited by x_mania; 07-11-2014 at 07:38 PM. Reason: typo
x_mania is offline   Reply With Quote