PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion > The Sports Bar
Subscribe    Donate

Old 02-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #121
bigbear2face

bigbear2face's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildmn34 View Post
If you want an honest explanation I can tell you exactly why he called it. It's actually pretty evident from the video.

First, yes, after viewing the entire replay it was a bad call. But, in Walsh's eyes from what he saw it was the right call.

Here's what I mean. Go to the video you linked to and go to the 40 second mark. That view is what Walsh saw. Looking at it from JUST that view I can see how he saw a hit to the head. Watch how Huskins reacts to the hit, and then back it up, and watch it one more time and focus only on Huskins helmet. Just looking at that, and seeing the helmet move like that I can easily 100% see how the back official (Walsh) saw a hit to the head.

Hell, I've refereed countless games and if I saw a play from that angle, with those reactions and pieces in place I bet I would have called it too. I know you have a pretty biased view being it happened to your team and all. But, from an outside view, and going from that one angle I can see why that call was made.

Personally, I haven't had an issue with Walsh. I think he is actually one of the more respected referees in the NHL as well. But, that's just my opinion.

Oh I know that is why he called the play that way. To be fair to him it is how he saw it. The problem is that there are 3 other officials on the ice with a better view. There were several replays shown on the overhead video before play was resumed. I know the NHL doesn't use replay for anything but goal situations but in a case like this a ref should be able to alter his own call when presented with clear evidence before play resumes. I also would have liked to have seen him at least consult with the other guys on the ice before making the call.

The game was Friday night and the league very quickly Saturday morning issued a release saying they were "rescinding" the match penalty on Backes. Basically, they admitted it was the wrong call without actually admitting it and throwing their ref under the bus.

Also to be fair to Walsh, I saw some replays of the Toronto v. Boston game and I had been given some wrong details when I posted before. He waved off two goals and seeing the replays there is some legitimacy to him waving off both. Toronto scored and he waved it off for goaltender interference. It was a close call, probably the wrong call (the goalie was outside of his crease and initiated contact), but close enough to stand up.

Then he waved off a Boston goal because a Boston player was down on the ice and hurt before the puck deflected in. It was a pretty quick decision on his part but its a hard judgement to make...Protect the hurt player or allow the team in a dangerous scoring situation to go a little longer? A very tough judgement call. Also, the goal might not have stood up anyway. I think the last Boston player to touch the puck deliberately kicked it.

I'm still not a Walsh fan. Beyond just that call on Backes that game was one of the worst officiated games I've ever seen (though at least the calls were largely bad both ways).

Alea Iacta Est
MAL

Awesome pic provided by Dirty130

Quote:
"You looked inside me and saw hatred. That is not victory. Victory would have been a good Dalek." -The Doctor
"I am not a good Dalek. You are a good Dalek." -Rusty
bigbear2face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #122
Wildmn34

Wildmn34's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear2face View Post
Oh I know that is why he called the play that way. To be fair to him it is how he saw it. The problem is that there are 3 other officials on the ice with a better view. There were several replays shown on the overhead video before play was resumed. I know the NHL doesn't use replay for anything but goal situations but in a case like this a ref should be able to alter his own call when presented with clear evidence before play resumes. I also would have liked to have seen him at least consult with the other guys on the ice before making the call.
The problem with that is, the other 3 guys on the ice aren't watching where Walsh was looking. Play was moving up ice, so the other Referee is watching play develop on the puck. The two linesmen are watching potential icing/offsides. Walsh is literally the only one of the 4 that is supposed to focus/watch stuff behind the play while it moves up the ice.

Huskins no longer had the puck, another Red Wing was moving it up ice. So the other three guys are watching that. It's not a blind spot in coverage because Walsh was where he was supposed to be and watching what he was supposed to watch. As a referee you try to get them all right, and reality says you'll miss one once and awhile.

I didn't see the game so I can't comment on how it was. But, I'm against using replay to judge the validity of penalties too. That would take a 2 and a half hour game and make it 3 and a half. One of the things that draw people to hockey is the speed of the game. It is what it is.

Thanks Rajeanero for the awesome work.
Wildmn34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:50 PM   #123
PyreBall

Send a message via AIM to PyreBall Send a message via MSN to PyreBall Send a message via Yahoo to PyreBall

Biggreen719's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
*sigh* Great. Buffalo blew a 3-1 lead and lost to Florida. I just don't understand this.
Soul Calibur IV, Soul Calibur V, Tekken 6, Super Street Fighter IV, MvC3, Puzzle Quest, Halo: Reach, Madden 10, Left 4 Dead 2, Borderlands, Gears of War 3,, Modern Warfare 3, Rock Band, MvC2, Battlefield 1943, Castle Crashers
PyreBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:55 PM   #124
bigbear2face

bigbear2face's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyreBall View Post
*sigh* Great. Buffalo blew a 3-1 lead and lost to Florida. I just don't understand this.

Perhaps the Sabres just aren't as good as you thought they were going to be.

I mean, this is kind of starting to become a trend.

You do know the pop culture definition of insanity right?

Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results...

Alea Iacta Est
MAL

Quote:
"You looked inside me and saw hatred. That is not victory. Victory would have been a good Dalek." -The Doctor
Old 02-05-2013, 12:45 AM   #125
Wildmn34

Wildmn34's Gamercard

Quote:
Driving home tonight from work and listening to XM Radio and the NHL station. They had Matthew Barnaby on. One of the things they talked about was how stagnant the leadership is in Buffalo with Ruff and... can't think of the other guys name sorry.

But Barnaby said that he liked Ruff as a person but hated playing for him, talked about him being arrogant and treating people like shit. Then, they listed other players who had said pretty much the same thing.

Personally, I think the talent is there in Buffalo. Maybe a tweak or 2 but the core is there. Ruff has reached the playoffs 4 times in the last 10 years. Logic says something has to change there.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:19 AM   #126
bigbear2face

bigbear2face's Gamercard

Quote:
But Barnaby said that he liked Ruff as a person but hated playing for him, talked about him being arrogant and treating people like shit.

Am I the only one that finds that extremely contradictory...Sounds like Barnaby didn't like Ruff at all and was just trying not to say it publicly.

Alea Iacta Est
MAL

Quote:
Old 02-05-2013, 02:12 AM   #127
Wildmn34

Wildmn34's Gamercard

Quote:
Am I the only one that finds that extremely contradictory...Sounds like Barnaby didn't like Ruff at all and was just trying not to say it publicly.
You would have to hear the actual interview. It seemed pretty sincere to me. They also talked about Derek Roy not liking Ruff and a couple other high(er) level players.

Barnaby said he played for Torts in NY and that's the hardest coach he played for, but Torts knows the game and is demanding. But, how Ruff treats people is what made it unpleasant.

I don't know how else to say it. lol But, it sounded pretty truthful to me.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:32 AM   #128
Foxxy kyle

Foxxy Kyle's Gamercard

Awards Showcase You ARE the Controller Challenge Club - Tier 1   Road Map - Platinum   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Diamond   Micro Guide - Silver   XBA Promoter   2,500 Posts   Achievement Guide - Gold   Over Achiever - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   A+ Thread Award   Bright Idea
Total Awards: 12 (more» ...)
Im liking this game. 4-1 Carolina over Toronto .
Old 02-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #129
PyreBall

Send a message via AIM to PyreBall Send a message via MSN to PyreBall Send a message via Yahoo to PyreBall

Biggreen719's Gamercard

Quote:
Driving home tonight from work and listening to XM Radio and the NHL station. They had Matthew Barnaby on. One of the things they talked about was how stagnant the leadership is in Buffalo with Ruff and... can't think of the other guys name sorry.

But Barnaby said that he liked Ruff as a person but hated playing for him, talked about him being arrogant and treating people like shit. Then, they listed other players who had said pretty much the same thing.

Personally, I think the talent is there in Buffalo. Maybe a tweak or 2 but the core is there. Ruff has reached the playoffs 4 times in the last 10 years. Logic says something has to change there.
Yeah, I've been noticing that. My dad's been seeing a downturn in Ruff's coaching for years, and I don't think it could be any more apparent than it is right now.
Soul Calibur IV, Soul Calibur V, Tekken 6, Super Street Fighter IV, MvC3, Puzzle Quest, Halo: Reach, Madden 10, Left 4 Dead 2, Borderlands, Gears of War 3,, Modern Warfare 3, Rock Band, MvC2, Battlefield 1943, Castle Crashers
Old 02-13-2013, 02:38 AM   #130
Foxxy kyle

Foxxy Kyle's Gamercard

Awards Showcase You ARE the Controller Challenge Club - Tier 1   Road Map - Platinum   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Diamond   Micro Guide - Silver   XBA Promoter   2,500 Posts   Achievement Guide - Gold   Over Achiever - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   A+ Thread Award   Bright Idea
I guess you can kiss that winning streak goodbye Devils! Us Canes just beat the best team in Eastern Conference!!!!

Old 02-13-2013, 10:41 PM   #131
PyreBall

Biggreen719's Gamercard

*headdesk* I don't believe my Sabres let Ottawa get a shutout. As much as I hate to say it, Anderson was good, but still...that just cannot happen against a team like the Sens.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #132
bigbear2face

bigbear2face's Gamercard

Quote:
*headdesk* I don't believe my Sabres let Ottawa get a shutout. As much as I hate to say it, Anderson was good, but still...that just cannot happen against a team like the Sens.

Not just the Sens but the Sens without Jason Spezza...

The Sens also just lost Karlsson. Last night against Pittsburgh he suffered a lacerated achilles tendon and will require surgery...

Alea Iacta Est
MAL

Quote:
Old 02-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #133
CyberPunch83

CyberPunch83's Gamercard

Maybe with the 'Take Back the Bank' initiative the Senators have going for Scotiabank Place, the Leafs should do the same thing when Ottawa comes to town this Saturday. However unfortunately, it seems like the Leafs used up all of their offensive potential for the next few weeks in Montreal and against Philadelphia and had nothing left in Carolina. Let's hope Frattin and Reimer are back soon and Kessel starts to find the back of the net again.

50k achieved 10/10/2011
100k achieved 7/3/2014
Achievement: Wheelie God (20G) - Ride to Hell: Retribution

GTA Online Rank (9/9/2014) 113

Games 100%: 89
Latest: Grand Theft Auto V

Working on:
World of Tanks (560/600)
Fable Anniversary (190/1000)
Destiny (starting soon)
CyberPunch83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:10 PM   #134
PyreBall

Biggreen719's Gamercard

Freaking finally, another win for the Sabres against Boston last night. How is it that we've dealt Boston their only two losses but we can't beat goddamned Carolina or Ottawa?
Old 02-21-2013, 02:28 AM   #135
PyreBall

Biggreen719's Gamercard

It finally happened: Ruff's been fired. Frankly, the only place the Sabres can from here is up.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:34 AM   #136
Wildmn34

Wildmn34's Gamercard

Quote:
It finally happened: Ruff's been fired. Frankly, the only place the Sabres can from here is up.
The thing that I don't understand is... why now? I just don't get the timing of it. Makes little to no sense.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:38 AM   #137
Foxxy kyle

Foxxy Kyle's Gamercard

Quote:
Freaking finally, another win for the Sabres against Boston last night. How is it that we've dealt Boston their only two losses but we can't beat goddamned Carolina or Ottawa?
Because Carolina kicks ass.

Just kidding, I hardly know anything about hockey. But from the little bit I have scratched up since I starting watching my first real season, is that Carolina is not a bad team by any means. I don't know much about Buffalo, but they seem to not be doing to good and are struggling as a team, so maybe that is why you couldn't beat Carolina or Ottawa.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:18 AM   #138
bigbear2face

bigbear2face's Gamercard

I'm not going to go crazy like every other Blues fan I've talked to (and seen on the stltoday.com forums) and scream that Olvar should have been suspended for this hit on Tarasenko:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlK0ImxJj3E

Personally I see, maybe a charging penalty...maybe an elbowing penalty. Even those are somewhat questionable.

But as far as "targeting" the head (as the rule about suspending reads)...Not really sure. I'll buy that he just accidentally got a little high.

However, it is really annoying to see Backes take a 5 minute major (which ABSOLUTELY cost the Blues the game) against Detroit a few weeks ago for a 100% clean hit then see no penalty come on a probably dirty hit that may have seriously injured one of the leagues most exciting rookies.

I was buying the argument that several people have made (including Wildmn) about the refs positioning on the Backes hit until I saw what happened after the Tarasenko hit. The refs skated around, talked to each other. Talked to the players. Then came to the decision that there was no penalty. Why can they do that on that play and not on the Backes play a few weeks ago?

I don't buy into the common sentiment around town that the league purposely has an agenda against the Blues since the Scott Stevens tampering incident...But stuff like this makes it more and more believable.

EDIT: Actually I lie. The more and more I watch this hit the more dirty I think it is. He gets his shoulder high on purpose. He targets Tarasenko from about 15 feet away and even though Tarasenko's back is turned to to him he drives towards him. If Tarasenko doesn't turn at the last second its a brutal hit from behind.

Alea Iacta Est
MAL

Quote:

Last edited by bigbear2face; 02-23-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:58 AM   #139
PyreBall

Biggreen719's Gamercard

Quote:
The thing that I don't understand is... why now? I just don't get the timing of it. Makes little to no sense.
Me either, dude. Personally, I think it should have happened a long time ago.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #140
Dog Face

In Marshall's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Silver   1,000 Posts
Excuse me, record holding team coming through.

Now can someone explain what it means? I've only watched a handful of parts of hockey games.
Dog Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:44 PM   #141
bigbear2face

bigbear2face's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face View Post
Excuse me, record holding team coming through.

Now can someone explain what it means? I've only watched a handful of parts of hockey games.

It means that the league no longer has tie games and that apparently you can be "undefeated" if you've lost 3 games. Sort of just kidding. The 'Hawks are still undefeated in "regulation" which is impressive at this point in the season.

However, the obsession with ignoring overtime losses nowadays is getting annoying. Despite what every single media person seems to want to think a 7-7-3 team is NOT a .500 team...They have lost more games then they have won. They have not won half the games they have played. They can not be .500. For the love of good stop calling losing teams .500 teams unless you add in the "in regulation" qualifier (and in many cases that still doesn't fit because several of the wins would have come from OT/SO).

/end rant about a current pet peeve

Wildmn is probably going to get mad at me for this:

Taylor Hall gets a two game suspension for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQLmcxZXsmw

If you ignore the behavior of the completely unprofessional announcers and just pay attention to the hit I'm not sure it deserves anything other then a 2 min interference call. And that is only because of the new rules on enforcing interference.

Despite what the announcers say there is no knee to knee. Hall's leg doesn't come off the ice until after the hit and only as a result of being off balance from the hit (we've analyzed it frame by frame on another site, trust me on this). The only reason the hit is late is because the puck bounces away from Clutterbuck. He didn't intentionally play it away, it got away from him. If it doesn't Hall gets a perfectly legal hit on a puck carrier.

So in the end its a perfectly "clean" hip check (in-so-far as hip checks are clean...personally I think they should be taken out of the game). Its late so its interference, a 2 min minor. He received a 5 minute major and a game misconduct. Given how fast it happened I can forgive the refs for making a mistake and miscalling it in-game thinking it was knee to knee. So I can kind of give them a pass for the in-game call.

But a 2 game suspension? When Olver gets nothing for driving his shoulder into Tarasenko's head (it would have been from behind if Tarasenko doesn't turn at the absolute last second)? The hit on Tarasenko doesn't even get a penalty call in game and Hall's hit gets a 5 minute major, a game misconduct AND a 2 game suspension? Wow.

The league really needs to get this suspension crap under control. No one, including the people in charge of handing out the penalties seems to have any clue on how to consistently and evenly apply punishment. How can the players play the game if they have no idea what is and isn't going to get them suspended? How are officials supposed to work these games if they have no idea what the league considers legal or not?

Alea Iacta Est
MAL

Quote:

Last edited by bigbear2face; 02-23-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:52 AM   #142
PyreBall

Biggreen719's Gamercard

Whoo, Buffalo beat Tampa.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:57 AM   #143
Super Cow Man Guy

Wyggle Wyll's Gamercard
Quote:
Despite what the announcers say there is no knee to knee.
I don't know about that. When I watched that replay I felt that Hall's knee was sticking a bit more than it should, plus it was the initial point of contact to an area close enough to his knee to throw knee on knee into the mix of calls. I can understand if Hall skated and dropped his shoulder, would have got 2 minutes for interference IF anything at all. But either Hall was leading with the knee or he horribly misjudged the guy's speed and arrived too early, still acting recklessly. It was a dangerous play and he got 2 games about it.
Super Cow Man Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:45 AM   #144
Wildmn34

Wildmn34's Gamercard

Quote:

Wildmn is probably going to get mad at me for this:

Taylor Hall gets a two game suspension for this:
Nope, actually not mad at all. I didn't see it as that bad myself. fine, sure. But, not really sure it was suspension worthy. I can understand why they suspended him, but not sure it was necessary.

The thing I don't like right now it seems that every big hit people start screaming "Suspension!". Same thing with a big hit duiring a game and some jackass on the ice starts a fight. Hitting is part of the game. Big hits happen. Star players get hit.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #145
Foxxy kyle

Foxxy Kyle's Gamercard

Quote:
Whoo, Buffalo beat Tampa.
Thank God for that, Hurricanes still lead the division now since we beat the Penguins last night. Our injuries have been killing us, but luckily we have Jeff Skinner and Tim Gleason back playing again as of last night.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #146
PyreBall

Biggreen719's Gamercard

Well, how about that. Buffalo's won two in a row now, albeit against Southern division teams. I hope Buffalo can keep some momentum going. Time's running out, and, just like last year, there's absolutely no reason they should miss the playoffs.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #147
bigbear2face

bigbear2face's Gamercard

Quote:
Nope, actually not mad at all. I didn't see it as that bad myself. fine, sure. But, not really sure it was suspension worthy. I can understand why they suspended him, but not sure it was necessary.

The thing I don't like right now it seems that every big hit people start screaming "Suspension!". Same thing with a big hit duiring a game and some jackass on the ice starts a fight. Hitting is part of the game. Big hits happen. Star players get hit.

I agree. I only have a problem with head hits from behind. Which is basically what the hit on Tarasenko was.

Alea Iacta Est
MAL

Quote:
Old 03-01-2013, 11:20 PM   #148
Wildmn34

Wildmn34's Gamercard

Quote:
I agree. I only have a problem with head hits from behind. Which is basically what the hit on Tarasenko was.
Eh, I don't think I'd agree with Tarasenko's hit being to the head from behind. Just did this screen cap from the video you posted for you.

This hit is kind of what I was talking about above. Just because a guy gets hit hard, and/or gets hurt on the play. It doesn't mean that the guy delivering the hit should be suspended.

I actually don't see anything wrong with it. It wasn't charging, as the guy that hit him didn't stride into him. He set his feet and glided, no three steps there. To mee I see shoulder hitting the Blues guy high chest and riding up to his chin area. The head wasn't the principle point of contact (as Shanny likes to say).

Tarasenko put himself in a really bad position by passing the puck like that and turning the way he did. In Minnesota we call that a hospital pass. I am 99% certain this is partly due to the fact that the Blues player is a European. They play on that bigger ice, and have a more skill/speed based game. Over there he gets away with that play. In the NHL he doesn't.

But, that's just my opinion.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #149
bigbear2face

bigbear2face's Gamercard

I can definitely see your argument. At first that's exactly how I saw it as well.

However, the more I watch the actual video the more it seems that Olver seemed to commit himself from several feet away to hit a guy that had his back to him. He also makes no effort to keep the hit low. He lead with his shoulder which was always at Tarasenko's head height. Shanahan ruled that it only wasn't a suspension because of lack of intent. The more I watch the video the more I see intent.

Alea Iacta Est
MAL

Quote:

Last edited by bigbear2face; 03-02-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #150
Foxxy kyle

Foxxy Kyle's Gamercard

Cam Wards injury last night will have him out of 6-8 weeks...

I do not know much about Dan Ellis, but I hope he can keep our team alive for the playoffs.