PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Adventure > Alan Wake's American Nightmare
Subscribe    Donate

Old 12-16-2012, 10:42 PM   #1
bryson 06

bryson 06's Gamercard
Is the story worth buying it? (No Spoilers, please)

I am currently playing through the original Alan Wake game, but have not finished it or any of the DLC.

I was just wondering if this game had a good gripping story and if it was worth buying?

I don't like the combat of Alan Wake and have no interest in just the combat (which is all I have heard about the game). Just wondering if the story of AN advances the plot? If not, is the story strong enough to support the game like the original?

Thnx.
bryson 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
XBM Yosho

XBM Yosho's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson 06 View Post
I am currently playing through the original Alan Wake game, but have not finished it or any of the DLC.

I was just wondering if this game had a good gripping story and if it was worth buying?

I don't like the combat of Alan Wake and have no interest in just the combat (which is all I have heard about the game). Just wondering if the story of AN advances the plot? If not, is the story strong enough to support the game like the original?

Thnx.
Personally, I loved both games equally, both to a 100% achievement completion. In my opinion I would say yes, buy the game, the story is worth it.

{UMK3Main-Reptile}
{MK9Main-Sub-Zero}
{SSFIV:AEMain-Ken}
{UMvC3Team-Wolverine,Ironman,Sentinel}
{Dungeon Fighter Live Wiki}
XBM Yosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:21 AM   #3
Fire Hawk D

Fire Hawk GYJS's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Gold   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Silver   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
I loved the story in Alan Wake, but the story in the DLC sequel seems pretty bare-boned. It is the equivalent of a comic book prequel before "Alan Wake 2".
Fire Hawk D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #4
Silicon Iceman

Silicon Iceman's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson 06 View Post

Thnx.
The short answer to your question is: NO.

The long answer to your question is: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

While trying not to spoil anything for you, both Alan Wake DLC and American Nightmare does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to advance the story after the ending of the original game. They are more like "side-steps" to the story that I categorize as "empty filler." American Nightmare in particular is more action-oriented (as well as The Signal) so if you don't like the combat mechanics, you will not like the American Nightmare and The Signal. The Writer DLC is more platforming-oriented, but it just exists as the second half of The Signal. At the end of both DLCs, the "story" just loops in on itself and you are right back where you started which is the very end of the original Alan Wake game.

American Nightmare takes a very vague and undefined plot device from Alan Wake and uses that to make another entirely "unrelated" side story that does not advance the primary story in the original Alan Wake in any way.

It's kind of hard to give more information without major spoilers (or at least until you've beaten the original game). After that, I can elaborate a little more and it will make much more sense.

But the bottom line is that both DLCs and American Nightmare do nothing to advance the story and are simply exercises in more gameplay.

And all of this is coming from someone who actually likes and completed everything in the Alan Wake series.

-M
Silicon Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:41 AM   #5
bryson 06

bryson 06's Gamercard
Interesting responses. I think I will keep and eye out and maybe wait for a sale. Doesnt seem like must buy from a story perspective.

Thnx for the help.

Friend Requests without a message, will be ignored.
bryson 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #6
Fire Hawk D

Fire Hawk GYJS's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Gold   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Silver   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silicon Iceman View Post
While trying not to spoil anything for you, both Alan Wake DLC and American Nightmare does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to advance the story after the ending of the original game.
American Nightmare IS Alan Wake DLC. >.>

Always been a bother in usage with me. But, yeah. If you're going for story, just bypass them. Though, I enjoyed both games. =D
Fire Hawk D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #7
FeatherbottomMR

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I thought it was ok. Like you said I would wait for it to go on sale then I would get it..
FeatherbottomMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #8
Schismfist

SchismFist's Gamercard
Most comments don't seem to be positive, I'll have to get this anyway because I just loved the original so much!
Schismfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #9
MajorDuffski

MajorDuffski's Gamercard
I'd counter what some other people have said and tell you that you should buy it. It's not such a story-driven experience like the original, boxed retail game; it's a different experience, and one that I feel compliments the original without adding to or detracting from it.

It's more action orientated, and I love the 'challenge maps' that come bundled with it. In these you have access to all sorts of items and weapons, but must survive until dawn with no extra health or streetlight 'safe' zones in which to take a breath.

I've played through Alan Wake's American Nightmare just the once, but keep coming back to the challenge map levels. In my opinion it's well worth the price.
MajorDuffski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #10
fastNcurious

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I like threads where the OP already got his answer and/or made their decision yet we still weigh in with our opinions.

So here's my two cents: $0.02.

(LOL. See what I did there?! )
fastNcurious is offline   Reply With Quote