PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Subscribe    Donate

Old 09-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #1
MrAwesome

hairyrussianman's Gamercard
How To Make Money

I tried searching the forums for this subject but got an error message...

How does everyone obtain money in their game?

I made myself a ring that increases my smithing by %8000000 or something ridiculous. Then since iron and leather are very common I made about 100 iron daggers, then improved them with my ring on so they are each worth 3,000,000 septim. I then traveled around Skyrim to all the vendors. I would buy whatever I wanted off them then sell them a dagger. Since the money I spent I got back, I took all their cash and the items became essentially free. But I now grow weary of traveling and watching load screens all afternoon.
What are your methods for getting rich? Has anyone discovered an exploit to make fast money?
MrAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
bigbear2face

bigbear2face's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAwesome View Post

I made myself a ring that increases my smithing by %8000000 or something ridiculous. Then since iron and leather are very common I made about 100 iron daggers, then improved them with my ring on so they are each worth 3,000,000 septim. I then traveled around Skyrim to all the vendors. I would buy whatever I wanted off them then sell them a dagger. Since the money I spent I got back, I took all their cash and the items became essentially free. But I now grow weary of traveling and watching load screens all afternoon.
What are your methods for getting rich? Has anyone discovered an exploit to make fast money?

Since merchants (even ones you've invested in) carry so little gold it is very difficult to make "fast money". The best people to sell items to are the thieves guild fences because they carry around 5000 gold but even then all the "fast" traveling and waiting you need to do is very time consuming. If you are going to do smithing as your money maker technique I find that just buying a ton of iron ore, using transmute to make it into gold ore and then forging gold necklaces to sell to be the best method. Highly enchanted items are more valuable but #1 you run into problems with merchants having enough money and #2 it takes extra time to enchant them.

I find the least boring method to be just adventuring. Go clear a cave or tower, do a quest etc...and return to a town and sell all your loot. Make sure to either have a high strength (so your carry weight is higher) or carry a lot of strength potions. A general rule in deciding which loot to keep and to drop is the 10x rule: If the value of the item is 10 times its weight try to keep it.

Alea Iacta Est
MAL

Awesome pic provided by Dirty130

Quote:
"You looked inside me and saw hatred. That is not victory. Victory would have been a good Dalek." -The Doctor
"I am not a good Dalek. You are a good Dalek." -Rusty
bigbear2face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
yourbreakfast99

Breakfas's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)
i've just played the game, stole stuff, and sold it and got a ton of gold.
yourbreakfast99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:37 PM   #4
ChickinOnaChain

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Pick up everything you can and sell it...which I just saw is what bigbear said. Make potions helps too. Chop wood. Go mining. As for "fast" money, I don't think there is a way to do that. I haven't seen it anyway.

ChickinOnaChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #5
yourbreakfast99

Breakfas's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)
Also do the Dark Brotherhood as the short quests give you significant gold depending what level you are
yourbreakfast99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #6
bigbear2face

bigbear2face's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbreakfast99 View Post
Also do the Dark Brotherhood as the short quests give you significant gold depending what level you are

Oh yeah, the DB quests give you some nice gold rewards. After you finish the DB questline you can go back to the Night Mother at any time and get continuous assassination quests that I think have a 1000 gold reward. They are pretty quick and not only do you get the 1000 gold but you probably will make a little money selling your target's loot.

Alea Iacta Est
MAL

Awesome pic provided by Dirty130

Quote:
"You looked inside me and saw hatred. That is not victory. Victory would have been a good Dalek." -The Doctor
"I am not a good Dalek. You are a good Dalek." -Rusty
bigbear2face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #7
InsaneKane87

InSAn3 KAn3's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Easy money I know because I've done it many times when starting new characters. I would go into caves/hideouts kill the enemies and take all their stuff and go back and sell it, then what I couldn't carry I would go back and get the rest and sell that. Easy money!
Old 09-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
lovepooky

Evercaptor's Gamercard
I played the game for 200+ hours and occasionally sold stuff like Dragon bones and ended up with near 200k. 50k for my Hearthfire houses hardly seemed much of anything when I got around to it.
Money never really seemed no thang in Skyrim. Even my Hardcore Orc ended up with a good wad of cash from people who hired him to go and do random things before he died.
lovepooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:04 PM   #9
Darkbee007

Darkbee007's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAwesome View Post

Collect all the Stones of Barenziah, and the Crown, get prowler's perk and profit from the better gems you get.
Darkbee007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #10
buggss

No, no no.....

Ok, 2 good ways, one pretty obvious and one a bit naughty but they work. Main toon's hanging around 2 million at the moment so I know what I'm on about.

1) Apart from the obvious investing make sure you use the thieves guild fences, they float at 5000 every couple of days so that helps a lot.

2) Exploit or not, I'm not sure but there's no console so it's up to you. Sell what you can to a vendor until you've got all their cash. Then save the game. Assuming the vendor isn't essential kill them as fast as possible. Then reload the game. For some reason the game resets all that vendor's items and cash so you can just start selling all over again.

Don't tell anyone though

Oh my 2 year old insisted so

Last edited by buggss; 09-16-2012 at 04:49 PM.
buggss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #11
Homaz

Send a message via ICQ to Homaz Send a message via Skype™ to Homaz

A7 Homaz's Gamercard
I just travelled fast to Rifton after defeating a dragon to sell it's bones during the whole game. My money grew like hell...

Homaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:00 AM   #12
thewyseone

i enchanted 100's of rings with waterbreathing and only needed to use petty soul gems,forget what they were worth but it help to increase my enchanting to 100.

and now i find craploads of flawless gems in all the chests and urns i search with the unusual gem blessing.i'm up to 2.2 million gold now,legitimatly.

thewyseone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:56 AM   #13
MewMew

MewMew34's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gamer Chick!
I just do it the honest way. I loot corpses and make armor and weapons with the materials I find, and then sell stuff to whoever has the money to buy them.

MewMew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:43 AM   #14
Slaughter.
The Knife in the Dark

Cpt Slaugh7er's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
I don't glitch, but I just do the Dark Brotherhood, the Thieves Guild, and sell Drafon bones and scales. Plus, selling scales and bones takes a significant amount of weight out.

Most recent completion -
Dark

Slaughter. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:05 AM   #15
guillermo316

Fantasychampion's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
I've played 80 hours yet to get that achievement. I have a lot of stuff my home chest that I should sell but meh.

ScOoP!

guillermo316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #16
SIMPLYMIDGET

simplymidget's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
  • Finish Thieves Guild questline
  • Max out the Speech skill tree
  • Sell everything you don't need
  • Steal everything of real value
  • Join factions to gain wealth
All in all, I currently have around 600,000 coin...and thats not to mention the amound of wealth I have stashed in my home[s] (100s upon 100s of flawless gems, etc).

Simply play, and aquire anything of real value, and then sell it. Eventually, you will come to a point where you dont even look at your money anymore and can afford anything.

But you know what? I still loot that 15 gold off of dead bodies; gold is gold! For the Empire!!

Don't waste time pulling off the petals. Cut off the head. - Spirit of Summer, Ryse

SIMPLYMIDGET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:58 AM   #17
Hunterstyx

Hunterstyx's Gamercard
Hidden chests have gold and plenty of stuff to sell.
Hunterstyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #18
buggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMPLYMIDGET View Post
....But you know what? I still loot that 15 gold off of dead bodies; gold is gold! For the Empire!!
LOL I do too but it's more so I can quickly spot that I've already took what I want off corpses without emptying them completely.

As far as what loot I do and don't take I gradually increase my value:weight ratio as I grow in lvls and wealth. Basically at the start of the game I take anything 5x the value of the weight and by ~60 as I am on my current run-through I don't bother with anything below 25x the weight. Makes more sense to leave a steel armour and take lots of less value scale armour that end up paying much more gold back.

P.S. 3-year-old like the e-motes so:

Old 03-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #19
ecto69

ecto69's Gamercard
I started making Ebony Mail Armor using a Mannequin in one of the homes, and when you upgrade them to legendary the are valued at close to 24,000 gold sell one per 48 hours to Riverwood Trader.

Current project to finally break the 1,000,000 gold holding , having a hard time as I keep spending money on stuff to smith and make new weapons etc.

Gold found is at 2.3million and gold on hand is 830,000 so guess that means I sent over 1.4million gold ouch.

If I really felt like it I guess I could make my goal of 1million gold carry with a safe full of flawless gems and chests with all the other stuff. Just too lazy to spend time waiting 48hours.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #20
HareJordan23

I Wesker I's Gamercard
Extra money

Get the Steed Stone which allows you to carry 100 more. Then keep pickpocketing and there is some perk that allows you to carry 100 more there as well. Now just complete quests and kill dragons. Anyone your inventory is full of items you have found along the way. Go to a merchant and sell.

My favorite merchants are the first building to the right in whiterun. Go in there and sell all your items and also buy leather, iron ingots and leather strips. Walk outside and buy smithing items from the lady too then create some weapons and improve some to get extra money. You may have to wait 2 game days for their money to respawn. Once you have a real high smithing skill with the ability to create daedric armor you can really start raking in the dough. It helps to have high speech skill too. There is a speech glitch in the that town right next to thieves guild entrance.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:33 AM   #21
Danny the hero

Danny the hero's Gamercard
Seriously? People still have issues getting money in skyrim? This game practically THROWS money at you... I believe I hit 1 mill after only 1 month of playing (no glitches)
Old 03-24-2013, 07:11 AM   #22
buggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny the hero View Post
Seriously? People still have issues getting money in skyrim? This game practically THROWS money at you... I believe I hit 1 mill after only 1 month of playing (no glitches)
Yeah it isn't difficult, it just depends on playtime and how much you focus on it.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:14 AM   #23
BBQ

Send a message via MSN to BBQ

suicide mercy's Gamercard
Not once in any of my play did i feel poor - seriously 100 speach is key - make potions or enchant rings.

And you damn right i still take 2 gold from bandits.

FM$
Tasks:
- Fallout: New Vegas (930/1405)
-Fable III (655/1250)
- Marvel Vs Capcom 2 (30/200)

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #24
WOLVES R SWEET

WOLFrostBITE's Gamercard
well i just pick up items worth lots of money and then just sell them that works well for me
WOLVES R SWEET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:14 AM   #25
kovalide

emma149's Gamercard
It's quite easy, simply go in dungeons, loot everything valuable (ores, gold coins, jewels, stuff that have 10> value/weight and enchanted things) and simply sell what you collected, or keep it if it's better than what you have! You should try to see which materials are more worth of selling individually than combining for smithing! For an example, if the value of leather boots is 25 and the added values of the materials necessary to make them are like 35 or higher, it's not worth it! just sell the material or do something else out of the material! I personally prefer to make leather helmets to use my leather and leather stripes, it's easy to sell them all at once and the quantities of leather and stripes are easy to manage!
kovalide is offline   Reply With Quote