PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Dishonored > Dunwall City Trials
Subscribe    Donate

Old 12-15-2012, 06:53 AM   #1
Kohbo

FullMetal594's Gamercard
Finally got By My Hand Alone!

Holy crap, what a hard ass achievement! This achievement relies on some part skill, most part luck. It requires a lot of patience and practice. Took me approximately 6 hours to get it, primarily messing with other strategies and the fact that I was having trouble with the Tall Boys instantly killing people.

Below are some pointers that some people may find useful (tough to write a guide since it is too random)

Wave Breakdown:

Round 1: 3 enemies (3)
Round 2: 3 enemies (6)
***Devouring Swarm***
Round 3: 3 enemies (9)
***Merchant*** (10)
Round 4: 4 enemies (14)
Round 5: 4 enemies (18)
***Bend Time***
Round 6: 4 enemies (22)
***Merchant*** (23)
Round 7: 4 enemies (27)
Round 8: 4 enemies (31)
***Whirlwind***
Round 9: 5 enemies (36)
***Merchant*** (37)
Round 10: 5 enemies (1 Tall Boy) (42)
Round 11: 5 enemies (1 Tall Boy) (47)
***Bloodthirsty***
Round 12: 5 enemies (2 Tall Boys) (52)
***Merchant*** (53)

Achievement should pop once Round 13 starts.

Strategy:

So, my strategy was too always go all out. You have to be aggressive, otherwise two opposing factions that spawn will kill one another. You want to conserve bullets and arrows for later round so focus purely on your sword for getting kills early on. You also want to conserve all your mana until you get Bend Time.

First three rounds, just run around and get the kills (sometimes you will get screwed with two opposing factions that spawn on the opposite side of the map from you, just restart if one kills the other before you get there).

Devouring Swarm will drop after Round 2 and can be useful, but later stages it becomes a waste. I would recommend not using it at all in order to save your mana for Bend Time later.

At Round 4, you start encountering 4 enemies, which means if there are opposing factions, this is where it begins to get tough. I would recommend running with your crossbow out. You can sprint to a target, fire a round in to him to stagger him and then instantly kill him. You will want to retrieve your arrow later so remember where the body is.

Bend Time drops after Round 5. From here on out, I used it once all the enemies spawned (note, this is NOT when the first enemy spawns, since they do not spawn all at the same time). Run with your crossbow and head shot available targets and knife the rest. (I completely ignored Whirlwind and Bloodthirsty since they were never that effective). Limit it to one use per wave until you hit the tall boy section.

At Round 7, you start having Assassins get into the fight. They will spawn on the rooftops and snipe or jump down and get into the fight. These guys are dangerous since their sniping can kill weaker enemies incredibly fast. However, my strategy would be to Bend Time, kill all other enemies on the ground. Retreat to a safe distance and snipe with my crossbow.

At Round 9, you start getting 5 enemies, follow the same strategy.

At Round 10, you get your first Tall Boy and the pain begins! Tall Boys are most annoying since they can immediately one-shot weaker enemies if they spawn nearby. Tall Boys have two spawn locations. One is next to your initial spawn area and the other is on the opposite side. I stood on the roof that houses the whale oil barrel and jumped (press and hold to ability jump) over for the aerial kill. If it spawns in the other location, I popped Bend Time and went to down with the gun, aiming for the whale oil tank on his back. You can also throw the provided whale oil tank from the dispenser to kill them though may require an extra shot.

At Round 12, you have 2 Tall Boys. You will constantly want to be hitting Bend Time until they are down to make sure they don't kill anyone to quickly. Bring these guys down fast and mop up the rest and the achievement is yours. (I am not sure if you have to kill the merchant between Round 12 and 13, but didn't want to risk it)

I hope that helps and good luck!

Last edited by Kohbo; 12-15-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Kohbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:04 AM   #2
AMoDo94

Send a message via Skype™ to AMoDo94
First try I killed 50 yesterday

AMoDo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:34 AM   #3
STLfan2468

STLfan2468's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Can you specify what weapons you used for each round?
Old 12-15-2012, 07:45 AM   #4
Kohbo

FullMetal594's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLfan2468 View Post
Can you specify what weapons you used for each round?
Added some pointers to my post to help out.

I often shifted between gun and crossbow to stumble guys Round 4 and on. You will want to be conservative on your ammo so crossbows work great since you can retrieve your bolt from their bodies. However, I used my knife for 95% of the killing, only using ranged if I was in a bad spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMoDo94 View Post
First try I killed 50 yesterday
Impressive! Good luck getting the last few kills. You should have it in no time.

Last edited by Kohbo; 12-15-2012 at 07:50 AM.
Kohbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:49 AM   #5
Askeroth

With your help, I can get to the tall-boys with relative ease. Things just go awry from there. I've got the jump-kill if they're on the left down pretty good, but I can't seem to shoot the whale oil can to kill them at all. I usually end up firing four shots to kill it, and by then, other things are dead. Also, in the final level with the two tall-boys, the overseer with the music box ruins everything. I can't kill the tall-boys if he's harassing me, but if I take time to kill him, the tall-boys will just kill other things. Tough.
Askeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:28 AM   #6
ben186422

bcbass186422's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askeroth View Post
With your help, I can get to the tall-boys with relative ease. Things just go awry from there. I've got the jump-kill if they're on the left down pretty good, but I can't seem to shoot the whale oil can to kill them at all. I usually end up firing four shots to kill it, and by then, other things are dead. Also, in the final level with the two tall-boys, the overseer with the music box ruins everything. I can't kill the tall-boys if he's harassing me, but if I take time to kill him, the tall-boys will just kill other things. Tough.
If a tall boy spawns to the right instead of the left, blink onto the air conditioning unit thing beside the roof and do a jump assassination. You should be able to do the double jump just far enough to get it. as soon as the last three rounds start use bend time and go straight for the tall boys. good luck.
ben186422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:09 PM   #7
Askeroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben186422 View Post
If a tall boy spawns to the right instead of the left, blink onto the air conditioning unit thing beside the roof and do a jump assassination. You should be able to do the double jump just far enough to get it. as soon as the last three rounds start use bend time and go straight for the tall boys. good luck.
I'm just not good enough for this shit. I'm very close to just walking away.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #8
Mister Buds

Mister Buds's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
I just edited this into my Back Alley Brawl thread, but I'm going to copy it here in case anyone's unsure of how they're missing kills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Buds View Post
EDIT: Finally got this achievement yesterday after many, many, many attempts. Instead of double posting, I'll include a few tips here, from my experience, of things to look out for.

Try to avoid being grabbed/tackled by weepers and dogs. Seriously, they both have the ability to latch on to you even while you're mid-swing with your blade. Both attacks render you unable to move while during the animations. This wastes valuable time if enemies are fighting on the other side of the map. In my opinion it's worth using crossbow bolts on them, even though you can rarely retreive your bolts from these enemy types.

For some reason this game likes to not register my kills. This seems most likely to happen with executions, the short, animated kills that give you fatality bonuses. It started happening quite frequently in the early waves, once on the golden merchant that spawned after wave 6, and most heart-breakingly as I drop assassinated the second tallboy, and final enemy, of wave 12.

Runes. As we all know, these runes love to spawn on top of the buildings, well out of our way. If Bend Time spawns on a roof, it's not too big of a deal, since you can trigger it's effects as soon as you pick it up. However, the game gives you powers in order. If the first rune spawns on a roof and the second rune spawns on the ground, picking up the one on the ground without grabbing the one on the roof will give you Devouring Swarm, not Bend Time, even though it was the second rune to spawn.

Enemies can die by environmental factors. I was once sword fighting with an overseer when he struck the red pipe/valve on the building next to where the whale oil tank is located. This caused an explosion, which killed him, I did not get credit for the kill. Speaking of whale oil tanks, you can remove them from the machine as they become available and essentially stockpile them, if you wanted to. However, if an enemy causes one to explode and someone dies as a result, again this doesn't count for you.

The pack of rats that sit around the map and eat dead bodies also attack live enemies sometimes. If these kill an enemy it doesn't count for you. Rats you summon with Devouring Swarm do count though.

If you see enemies fighting across the map, and you decide to shoot them, make sure to aim for the aggressor. If you hit the victim, somtimes you might get lucky and kill him if he's low on health. If you hit the victim and don't kill him it will just make him weaker and limit your window to rectify the situation. It's safer to go for the aggressor.

My final cautionary tip is to beware of the overseers with the musical boxes. I think they only spawn on wave 8 and wave 12. When you're affected by them, it warns you that magic can not be used. One thing I failed to realize is that this also affects your abilites, meaning you can no longer double-jump with agility! I learned this the hard way one attempt on wave 12. I went to drop assassinate a tallboy, unaware that there was an overseer in that area. As I jumped off the roof I was knocked out of Bend Time and since I barely jumped anywhere I came crashing down next to a group of enemies where I was quickly killed.

Anyway, good luck to anyone attempting this achievement because it is pure bullshit. Luck does not make an achievement!
Mister Buds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:58 AM   #9
Askeroth

Damn. Damn. Damn. Damn. Damn. I'm sick of this. I got to the final round with a perfect score, but I forgot to place the four springrazors that I had and missed the needed score by one because of that. I killed the first tall-boy but the other tall-boy killed a hobo before I could get over there. If I placed the springrazors first, the hobo and other enemies probably would have died right away.

Edit: And now the game froze on me in the middle of round seven. I'll try it some more tomorrow...

Last edited by Askeroth; 12-26-2012 at 01:12 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:33 PM   #10
Certtz

Certtz's Gamercard
This achievement was a lot of fun and it was totally worth the time and effort.
Certtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:37 PM   #11
Certtz

Certtz's Gamercard
[QUOTE=woodsjoella;5480707]I was having trouble with the Tall Boys instantly killing people.

[/QUOTE

I got this achievement by getting to a high advantage point next to the path of a tall boy. Then I used the time possession power and used blink right just above him. And right when your above him it will tell you to press the RT to assassinate. I suggest you upgrade your time possession and blink, it would help a lot. You first encounter tall boys during the Lady Boyle mission.
Certtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #12
Askeroth

I may be crazy to say this, but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. On my most recent attempt, a guy died on round 11, but I killed everybody in round 12 by myself. It's still a matter of luck, but I think I've gotten my skill to a point where I think I have a chance.

After I took down the first tall-boy on round twelve, I ran towards the other tall-boy, killed another guy there, and then double jumped and used an adrenaline kill on the other tall-boy. I then turned around and killed the last two guys. It's just a matter of luck to get the spawns right.

Edit: And after many, many tries, luck is just something that I don't have...

Edit II: It took me five hours of non-stop trying, minus a dinner break, but I finally did it. I am done with this DLC!

Last edited by Askeroth; 12-27-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #13
ATR NAD

ATR NAD's Gamercard
If you want to save some mana, wave 8 is always ennemies from the same faction so you can take all the time you need to wipe them out. I actually start using bend time from wave 9
Old 01-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #14
HamKet

Ham Salad's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Micro Guide - Silver   Submit - Gold   Achievement Guide - Silver   Road Map - Silver
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Somehow I ended up with 57 kills on Wave 10 on normal.

That can't be right.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:36 PM   #15
Loopy Altitude

loopy altitude's Gamercard
Just as a question for when I finally get around to finishing up Dishonored, does doing the Expert version of Back-Alley-Brawl help with keeping the guys from killing each other? I figured that being immediately spotted would make the guys act as a semi-unified force (albeit, with the added difficulty, it would make it harder, but I'd rather put up with difficulty than luck).
Old 01-21-2013, 12:55 AM   #16
Kohbo

FullMetal594's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy Altitude View Post
Just as a question for when I finally get around to finishing up Dishonored, does doing the Expert version of Back-Alley-Brawl help with keeping the guys from killing each other? I figured that being immediately spotted would make the guys act as a semi-unified force (albeit, with the added difficulty, it would make it harder, but I'd rather put up with difficulty than luck).
I had the same thought while I was working through this achievement. The enemies will not attack each other as much, but the further away they are, the more likely they will go after one another than you (i.e. attacking the closet enemy does not mean only you). Personally, I found the normal Back Alley Brawl to be easier than the Expert version since it is much tougher to survive the later waves with the tall boys.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:04 AM   #17
HamKet

Ham Salad's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Micro Guide - Silver   Submit - Gold   Achievement Guide - Silver   Road Map - Silver
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Most difficult achievement for me in recent memory.

I'd been trying for this achievement since Saturday. I played this trial who knows how many times over the course of six hours on Saturday, six hours on Sunday, 3 hours Monday night, and now 1 hour Tuesday night.

I finally got it tonight.

I came close at least five times, only to be either killed or robbed of a kill on round 12. Most of the time, I couldn't make it to round 5 with all the required kills.

On Sunday, I took a short break from attempting the achievement to get three stars on the expert version. In the process, I managed to meet the requirements of the achievement only to die with two kills to go.

At least I got it in the end. Stupid luck-based trials.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:23 AM   #18
TuM Predator

Send a message via MSN to TuM Predator

TuM Predator's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
i would love to get achievements on this game, but the bullshit wont let me ! :@

!Join The Fight!
Signature By Xerofox
TuM Predator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #19
lifeexpectancy

LifeExpectancy's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Wrapped up Void Star this morning, and now all I have left staring me in the face is By My Hand Alone. I'm setting aside an 8-hour block of time to go for this fucker. I pray I get it early on, but I'll settle for getting it period sometime that first night. Since it's 90% luck and my luck is notoriously BAD, I don't have high hopes.

PS - the devs can go fuck themselves for this by my hand achievement. It is 1% skill 99% luck.
HALO:MCC >>>>>>> Interested in Online Customs, Squadmates for Ranked, and Co-Op Campaign. I am on 6am-4pm GMT on my nights off (Midnight-10am US Central). If you add me do it on XB1 please; my 360 friends list is nearly full.

Last edited by lifeexpectancy; 03-25-2013 at 09:50 AM.
lifeexpectancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #20
Swyer87

swyer87's Gamercard
Finally!!!!

After hours of trying I eventually got this achievement! It was absolute BS! I actually found wave 5-7 to screw me over the most! I often went to the end just to get some practice on the later waves and although they were difficult I found that two rival factions didn't spawn next to each other too often, that and obviously bend time made the waves a little less infuriating!

My successful attempt was not without its problems, not to mention nerve wrecking! I got to wave 12, activated bend time, drop assassinated the 1st tall boy next to spawn and killed 2 others leaving 1 tall boy and the musical guy. At this point bend time ran out and the music was screwing me! I cowardly blinked to the corner under the canopy opposite the whale tank! At this point I had about half mana and health but no refills. The music man came towards me and I took him out with the grenade, leaving just 5 bullets and 4 crossbows in my inventory! I thought my only chance was to hit the whale tank on the the back of the tall boy with my crossbow, with just one bolt left I nailed it! My heart was bloody pounding! On top of that I almost forgot to kill the merchant at the end

Thank god it is over!
Swyer87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #21
Kohbo

FullMetal594's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swyer87 View Post
Thank god it is over!
Congrats! This is definitely one of those achievements that gives you a rush of relief and satisfaction once you finish it.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:24 AM   #22
lifeexpectancy

LifeExpectancy's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
I take it u didn't use the oil tank merhod I explained swyer? It made waves 10-12 a joke for me lol.
HALO:MCC >>>>>>> Interested in Online Customs, Squadmates for Ranked, and Co-Op Campaign. I am on 6am-4pm GMT on my nights off (Midnight-10am US Central). If you add me do it on XB1 please; my 360 friends list is nearly full.
lifeexpectancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:34 AM   #23
Swyer87

swyer87's Gamercard
I tried it a few of times after i had already screwed up on an earlier wave just to test it out and messed it up 3 times in a row lol

I'm quite good at double jumping and blinking to do a drop assassination on the tall boys so to be honest, surprisingly the later waves weren't as much of a problem for me! Most likely because bend time was in play! It was waves 5-7 when i where i was trying to save my mana which was driving me insane. I only had 2 runs where i got to at least wave 10 still with a chance of the cheevo and messed it up (not doing the whale tank method). I would say i managed to do wave 10-12 80% of the time killing everyone whilst i practiced those waves.

Still though what a bitch of an achievement!
Swyer87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:19 AM   #24
evllmatt9

evllmatt's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
I think its atrocious to make a dlc this difficult without actually testing it first. Few if any glitches on retail and knight/brigmore, but theyre rampant in this dlc. How can you make a cheeve for getting every kill in a set time period, then have horrendous hit/kill detection?! Piss poor is censoring myself greatly. I dont mind the time it might take to develop a high skill level, but relying on luck as a major factor is lazy.
evllmatt9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:10 AM   #25
MattMoses

mattmoses's Gamercard
Fuck this fucking achievement. I must have the worst luck going because the last 3 hours of consisted of me getting to round 13 missing one kill three time, dying by the last tallboy in wave 12 and not getting a kill count for an assassin I killed with an arrow (?). Really puts you off bothering with it when you've got so close several times and the silliest of thing fucks it up.

Last edited by MattMoses; 05-09-2014 at 02:17 AM.
MattMoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:01 AM   #26
MattMoses

mattmoses's Gamercard
JUST DID IT then...as I air assassinated the final tallboy, some fucking how I died as I fell from him even though I had a quarter health. This is so fucking lame.

EDIT: After another 4 hours of trying, finally got it. So glad to be rid of this DLC!

Last edited by MattMoses; 05-10-2014 at 10:57 PM.
MattMoses is offline   Reply With Quote