PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Silent Hill HD Collection
Subscribe    Donate

Old 05-31-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
TwoZacksOneCup

TwoZacksOneCup's Gamercard
Thoughts on The Room?

This past weekend I went to the London MCM Expo, came across Silent Hill 4: The Room for PS2. I decided to buy it, played it briefly last night on the PS3, and as I reached a 3rd person section I just couldn't stand it anymore.

It might be because I started on the HD Collection, so I'm used to kind of good graphics, but it just seems that everything in the game has been downgraded from SH2 and 3.

Obviously, as I said I've only now reached the first 3rd person part, but even as soon as I started that I noticed how bad the controls were. Movement seems odd, as it feels like I'm running in slightly fast motion. Also, the movement controls in first person seem completely backwards. They make it impossible to use both sticks (one to move, one to look around), so I have to adapt to a complete new style of movement, and I just can't get my head around it!

All in all, although I've only played for like, 20 minutes, I really don't feel like I can carry on! Haha

TwoZacksOneCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
fiber2501

fiber2501's Gamercard
The first Silent Hill was the best. The HD collection was good as well but all an all the room wasnt that good to begin with anyways. I didnt enjoh it as much as some of the games. But being part of the series its still Silent Hill and its at least worth playing once. In my opion at least.
fiber2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
virgil must die

virgil must die's Gamercard
the room is ok for a horror game, it wasnt originally a silent hill game, konami decided mid development to turn it to SH4 and linked it to a serial killer mentioned in SH2. Gametrailers has a really good SH retrospective you should check out, and as a side note the room has a part when you enter a room in the hospital (i think its the hospital) and the whole back wall is a giant head, i found that the creepiest thing in all silent hill history that could just be me though!
virgil must die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:54 AM   #4
Prelude2disastr

Prelude2disastr's Gamercard
I'm one of the few people who actually loved SH4. As mentioned above, it wasn't originally a SH game. If you look at it on it's own, without trying to make it live up to SH2 it's actually really good. If I remember right, the story, when you understood the subtleties, made it incredibly personal. I also loved the 'possession' taking place in your room.

On the flip-side though.... making people go through levels repeatedly during a single playthrough has never and will never be a good idea!
Prelude2disastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:58 PM   #5
RuYi

Location: It's not the end of the world. But you can see it from here.

Westraid's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Submit - Gold   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoZacksOneCup View Post
[...]but it just seems that everything in the game has been downgraded from SH2 and 3.
That's pretty much the problem. We can all start bickering about which of the first three games is the best, but fact is, after the third game, they never managed to get back at the same quality.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #6
metallicorphan

metallicorphan's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoZacksOneCup View Post
It might be because I started on the HD Collection, so I'm used to kind of good graphics

The Room graphics are a million times better than the HD collection graphics..at least the Xbox version of The Room,the graphics in the HD collection are pretty fucking awful..i love just looking out of the window and watching the world go by in The Room

The Room is one of my favourite SH games,i really loved it

Silent Hill
Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill The Room
Silent Hill 3
Silent Hill Origins
Silent Hill Homecoming

Not played Downpour yet

I've had many questions about 'The Amazing World of Gumball' gamerpic,it was part of a competition on the XBL UK dashboard a couple of years ago(download to enter kinda thing),and they don't seem to be available for normal download at all,and the competition(which i didn't win)has obviously ended
metallicorphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #7
Darkrain

Katzengott's Gamercard
When it was developed, The Room was not planned to be a part of Silent Hill... However it looks like an Silent Hill game. I enjoyed it, only this fucking ghosts!!
Old 02-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #8
The Silence

xMASSxKhaotic's Gamercard
To be honest, The Room was the first Silent Hill game I ever had the pleasure of playing - and despite it's origins, we'll all still consider it that.

That aside, it was an enjoyable game, though I have to say that there was little to no replay value in it, and some parts of the game were quite frustrating. For example, in the 3rd area in that game ( the weird mental hospital ) if you try to do the water draining puzzle before all the holes are aligned, and you've saved any time after that, you need to restart the entire game because there's no way to actually reassert the puzzle. It's done after that, and you can't get any electricity in the building - which of course limits everything you can do, and pretty much grinds you into a fullstop.

So while it was a good game for the most part, there were some things about it that made it not worth playing. But eh, like another said, it's Silent Hill. Suck it up and play through it like a real man... or woman. Whatever you may be.
The Silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:03 PM   #9
Neme6ben

neme6ben's Gamercard
the room wasn't meant to be a silent hill game, it was a different project made by team Silent but Konami were just too affraid of publishing something that was unknown, so they decided to make it a silent hill game at the last minute
Old 04-07-2013, 12:20 AM   #10
merzitar

Heathen Baboon's Gamercard
Silent Hill 4 is a great game. The 3rd person parts aren't too scary, but I just find the whole apartment sections terrifying and interesting. I still prefer Silent Hill 1 and 2, but I think it's equal to 3.