PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Music and Rhythm > Rock Band 3
Subscribe    Donate

Old 01-06-2013, 12:43 AM   #1
Fullbrook

Fullbrook's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
The beginning of the end.

I hate to start a rumor wheel, so this is pure speculation.

From my take on things, this is the beginning of the end of RB3 DLC.

Over the next 3 months, they will be releasing new songs, every other week, with RB Blitz songs filling in the off weeks. Which doesn't seem so bad.
http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233201

But reading the discussion forum, there are a few posts from hmxhenry, which makes it seems like this is the end. The 2 that pretty much got me to this conclusion..

Quote:
It's not an awesome day for announcements, I know. RB has been the focus of most of my waking hours for the last 5 years, so it's no picnic for me either. I hope everyone is aware that this isn't something we did without a lot of forethought and planning. We love RB every bit as much as all of you and want to do everything we can to support it as best we can for as long as we can.

Thanks to everyone for their understanding, positive comments, and constructive questions. I'll continue to respond to what I can as best I can.
and the following

Quote:
RBN releases on the Xbox 360 require little HMX dev time so we don't have any plans to alter that pipeline any time in the near future.
Quote:
We don't have any plans to alter server support, store support, or web support at any point in the near future.
Quote:
As called out in the FAQ, none of the games we're working on are RB or instrument based music games.
Sounds like they are calling it quits, and no RB4 is in the works...

This is all just my take on in, what are you thoughts? As someone who plays RB pretty much every day.. this is seriously bad news.. I am gutted..

Let's hope they change their mind..

EDIT: [sources]
http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233202

Always up for playing some RB3. Just send me an invite/message/FR. Mention x360a in the message.

I play almost daily.
1,234 + Songs. 63 pro upgrades..

XBox Live Ambassador

Last edited by Fullbrook; 01-06-2013 at 02:16 AM.
Fullbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:47 AM   #2
Ceris
Why so Cerisにゃ?

Tragic Melody's Gamercard

Awards Showcase CABS Beta Tester   Community Gaming - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - Ceris   Over Achiever - Bronze   Staff - Collectibles Guide Team   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
The music game genre was slaughtered. In 5 years, over 10 Guitar Hero games were released, not including Rock Bands and others. The whole genre was given up on a while ago and now they probably are just going to drop it altogether.

Helping Hand Award Nominations || Please disable your ad blocker for XBA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creech
An ad blocker prevents the ad from loading in the first place, and the counter is on the ad's side, not the site's. As such, an ad blocker stops the increment from going up and no revenue is generated as a result of your page views.
Ceris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:53 AM   #3
Fullbrook

Fullbrook's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
The whole music genre wasn't given up upon, until now. With rocksmith, and as of today anyways, (and the next 3 months) they are still releasing new songs. And Dance Central will still be going strong for the next while.

I'll give you that, they are giving up now it seems. And I am sure activision and GH didn't help. That wasn't their first, or last, franchise they milked to death.

Edit: Also RB:Blitz came out a few months ago, so I am not the only one who thinks there is still a market for rhythm games. Boom Boom Rocket, Space Channel 5.. there has always been a market for that sort of thing.

Always up for playing some RB3. Just send me an invite/message/FR. Mention x360a in the message.

I play almost daily.

XBox Live Ambassador

Last edited by Fullbrook; 01-06-2013 at 01:03 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:04 AM   #4
Ceris
Why so Cerisにゃ?

Tragic Melody's Gamercard

Awards Showcase CABS Beta Tester   Community Gaming - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - Ceris   Over Achiever - Bronze   Staff - Collectibles Guide Team   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
When i said it was slaughtered, took a look around game stores. At least here, you will find very few RB or GH instruments for sale, only the full sets, and even then they are low in stock. All these franchises filled the stores and they've already almost disappeared.

Helping Hand Award Nominations || Please disable your ad blocker for XBA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creech
An ad blocker prevents the ad from loading in the first place, and the counter is on the ad's side, not the site's. As such, an ad blocker stops the increment from going up and no revenue is generated as a result of your page views.
Ceris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:13 AM   #5
Fullbrook

Fullbrook's Gamercard

(I didn't think anyone would reply tonight.. I am aware RB isn't as popular as it was)

But that is a HUGE point and you are right. THAT is a HUGE part of the problem. You CAN'T get the instruments, so why buy the game?

The pro instruments as far as I know were never released in Canada. I bought my ion drums, and keyboard online. I til this day have never seen a pro guitar. MadCatz has always shipped a really low supply and not to everywhere.. If you can't buy the instruments, why would they expect someone to buy the game? And if you don't buy the game, you won't buy the DLC.. This has been harmonix's downfall for a while.. Their answer is to buy off gameshark.. well most people won't, or even know to do that. I didn't know until recently..

I use a GH guitar.. that is half their problem.. They don't market the game at all, and make it almost impossible to get into it. It's basically the long run fans supporting them, and they are canning that..

The music genre is NOT dead. They just stopping marketing it right to bring anyone else in besides us who already have it.. It's like asking me to buy an xbox, but give me nowhere to buy a controller... works well.

I play almost daily.

XBox Live Ambassador

Last edited by Fullbrook; 01-06-2013 at 01:16 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
Dave Host

Dave Host's Gamercard
For four years the highlight of my week was a Tuesday and more Rock Band DLC. But to be honest this has been a long time coming. The last new release (apart from RBN and Blitz) I bought was Love Shack, and that was way back in August if I remember rightly.

As for the pro instruments they were massively overpriced even when they were available. To buy the keys, drums and guitar would have been in the region of 280 which even for a Rock Band fanatic is a heck of a lot of money to lay out on peripherals for one game
Dave Host is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #7
Dave Host

Dave Host's Gamercard
And on top of that hit, in addition to 160 MSP for a song I would have to pay extra to get the pro upgrades to use the new instruments.

Pro instruments were a nice premise that just didnt work out, Im just gutted we arent going to be getting quality DLC as we used to
Dave Host is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:42 PM   #8
Ozone31

The Ozone 31's Gamercard
At least it looks like RBN will continue to be pumping out new songs.
Ozone31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:22 AM   #9
Fullbrook

Fullbrook's Gamercard

I have actually been buying more off of RBN than hmx DLC lately.. so this could actually be a good thing..

I know there are a bunch of "hands off" bands so maybe when hmx stops with the DLC some of these talented RBN groups can move up and grab some higher profile bands.

I play almost daily.

XBox Live Ambassador
Old 02-11-2013, 02:50 PM   #10
Sinful Samhein

Sinful Samhein's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keynee View Post
I hate to start a rumor wheel, so this is pure speculation.

From my take on things, this is the beginning of the end of RB3 DLC.

Over the next 3 months, they will be releasing new songs, every other week, with RB Blitz songs filling in the off weeks. Which doesn't seem so bad.

But reading the discussion forum, there are a few posts from hmxhenry, which makes it seems like this is the end. The 2 that pretty much got me to this conclusion..

and the following

Sounds like they are calling it quits, and no RB4 is in the works...

This is all just my take on in, what are you thoughts? As someone who plays RB pretty much every day.. this is seriously bad news.. I am gutted..

Let's hope they change their mind..

EDIT: [sources]
http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233202

I hate to say it, but 5+ years is a heck of a run. We will see after 3 months I suppose.
Sinful Samhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #11
THE VICER0Y

THE VICER0Y's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Bronze
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Sad to see you were right OP, but Harmonix just officially announced no more new DLC after the first week of April:

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233673

I kind of felt this coming too, as every other week of re-released Blitz songs felt like it was stringing things out for as long as possible.
5 years is indeed an impressive run. No other company in the entire industry can claim such a consistent and predictable DLC release schedule. That alone is something to be applauded.
THE VICER0Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:14 PM   #12
Sampson

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I'm really hoping this genre of games will get a revival. I miss the days of when rock band is brought out in a party. Good times.

"Everyone is entitled to their own sorrow, for the
heart has no metrics or form of measure. And all of
it... irreplaceable."

Thanks to Rajeanero for the excellent signature!
Sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #13
mmxxooll

bunny nose45's Gamercard
Now the question is do they end it with something big?

100% Completed
Xbox 360: 47
Arcade: 47
Xbox One: 2
mmxxooll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:55 AM   #14
Bazooka Kaboom

Bazooka Kaboom's Gamercard
Surprise DLC down the road?

Harmonix would surprise me if the still released and dlc pack every so often out of the blue.
Bazooka Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:02 PM   #15
Sinful Samhein

Sinful Samhein's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazooka Kaboom View Post
Harmonix would surprise me if the still released and dlc pack every so often out of the blue.
I have also hoped for this, but I will only remain optimistic until I see something.
Sinful Samhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #16
Poisonheadcrab

Poisonheadcrab's Gamercard
Chevelle for 3/26, Don Mclean's "American Pie" ends things on 4/2. The fact they supported the game for this long is a miracle, but it's still sad to see it go.
Poisonheadcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #17
Fullbrook

Fullbrook's Gamercard

Thought I would follow up on this, tomorrow being the last official release.

I hate to see it end, but it was a hell of a run. At least us on the 360 will still have the RBN for a while anyways.

There are tons of RBN songs that are fun to play, so I hope it lives on for a while.

Anyone still playing feel free to hit me up I'm still on (almost) daily.

I play almost daily.

XBox Live Ambassador

Last edited by Fullbrook; 04-01-2013 at 11:04 PM.