PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Subscribe    Donate

Old 08-12-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
TrueDestiny619

TrueDestiny619's Gamercard
Question Should I kill Paarthurnax or not?

Its hard to decide if I should kill him or not so I was wondering if anyone knows the benefits of killing him and the benefits of NOT killing him
TrueDestiny619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:32 AM   #2
Scotty
Shut up and Kiss Me!!

Scotty x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Silver   Donator - Level 4   Green Thumb - Silver   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   CABS Beta Tester   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   x360a Representer   Subscriber - Bronze   Road Map - Gold   A+ Thread Award   2,500 Posts   Micro Guide - Emerald
Total Awards: 15 (more» ...)
if you kill him, you will no longer be able to meditate words with him, and you will not be welcome in high hrothgar(you can still enter whenever you please). you will then be able to join the blades and start recruiting for them, but there is no real benefit in doing so.

if you dont kill him, you will still be in favour with the greybeards, and paarthurnax will still meditate words for you. the blades will not 'help' you any further unless you kill him, but you dont really need their help, to be fair.

the best option would be to leave him alive. you will have the quest to kill him forever so just leave him alive and if at some point you change your mind, then you can kill him later on.

there really isn't anything major about either choice, but the small advantage you get for keeping him alive is reason enough, to keep him alive.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #3
TrueDestiny619

TrueDestiny619's Gamercard
How many words do you meditate with him?
TrueDestiny619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
BloodGodAlucard

BloodGodAlucard's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDestiny619 View Post
How many words do you meditate with him?
3. One makes Unrelenting Force stronger. One makes Fire Breath stronger. And the last one makes the Become Ethereal shout last longer. Basically they're passive buffs. You can only have 1 active at a time though.

I would recommend leaving him alive. I think he's a really cool character. So I don't want to kill him. Not only that but the Blades are complete asshats. I say this because their reasoning for why you should kill him is stupid. They basically say he should die because of what he did in the past. Totally disregarding all of the help he's given you to save the world and all of the good he's done since defecting from Alduin all those eons ago. Then if you refuse they get all pissy towards you. Even though you saved their asses on multiple occasions. Basically they are ungrateful ingrates. And I'd gladly kill them if it was possible. You can't. But you can lead them to the edge of the mountain and Fus Roh Da their asses off. XD

You can recruit a few people to them before they even ask you to kill him btw. It's useful if you have followers like Karjo that randomly travel the world and are hard to track down. This makes them stay at the Sky Temple permanently and gives them some cool Blades armor and weapons.

Completed: 74 Retail Games and 7 Arcade Games

Proudest Completion to Date: Dark Souls 1000/1000 on Xbox 360 and 1000/1000 on PC

Last edited by BloodGodAlucard; 08-12-2012 at 11:30 AM.
BloodGodAlucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
123abc

ShotByRevolver's Gamercard
Dude... Spoiler tags for people who haven't got to that part yet.
123abc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:40 AM   #6
RDrules

rdisbetterthanu's Gamercard

honestly its nothing more than personal choice, gray beards give quests to find words of power but the quests arent required to get them and the blades give quests to kill dragons both these things can be done anyway or be done before you do it.

the only thing you really loose is the choice between powers to meditate on but honestly who switches between them anyway, just choose the one you use and stick to it your not exactly gonna go back to him every time you want to use the shout are you?
RDrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:01 AM   #7
steamboatidk

Send a message via AIM to steamboatidk

skater1075's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottttocs View Post
if you kill him, you will no longer be able to meditate words with him, and you will not be welcome in high hrothgar(you can still enter whenever you please). you will then be able to join the blades and start recruiting for them, but there is no real benefit in doing so.

if you dont kill him, you will still be in favour with the greybeards, and paarthurnax will still meditate words for you. the blades will not 'help' you any further unless you kill him, but you dont really need their help, to be fair.

the best option would be to leave him alive. you will have the quest to kill him forever so just leave him alive and if at some point you change your mind, then you can kill him later on.

there really isn't anything major about either choice, but the small advantage you get for keeping him alive is reason enough, to keep him alive.
Another plus you get a boss ass cut scene at the end with him in it and if you kill him well you get the gist of the of it.

Hear no evil Speak no Evil See no Evil[/CENTER]
steamboatidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #8
Blazman83

Blazman83's Gamercard
Cheers for the spoiler!
Old 08-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #9
ChickinOnaChain

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I didn't in both games. I didn't see any point in it.

ChickinOnaChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:51 PM   #10
RDrules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazman83 View Post
Cheers for the spoiler!
if your reading a board this long after a game comes out, expect spoilers...
Old 08-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #11
BlackDragon

BlakeTheDrake's Gamercard

I let him live too, but I read that if you kill him, you still get the bitchin' cutscene at the end, just with Odahviiin (or however your pet dragon is spelled) taking his place.

77777 reached - 17/11-2011
Next goal: 99999!
BlackDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:37 PM   #12
Blazman83

Blazman83's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDrules View Post
if your reading a board this long after a game comes out, expect spoilers...
Yes quite right! But most ppl have the courtesy to not put a blatant spoiler as the subject, he/she couldve put the quest name with *Spoiler next to it!

This forum is about gaining achievements, not everyone has all achievements or completed the main quest line within the first month of its release ESPECIALLY in a game like Skyrim!
Old 08-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #13
BloodGodAlucard

BloodGodAlucard's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazman83 View Post
Yes quite right! But most ppl have the courtesy to not put a blatant spoiler as the subject, he/she couldve put the quest name with *Spoiler next to it!

This forum is about gaining achievements, not everyone has all achievements or completed the main quest line within the first month of its release ESPECIALLY in a game like Skyrim!
Well honestly that wouldn't have worked since the name of the Quest is "Paarthunax." The only way he could have completely avoided spoilers would be to make it a vague title like "Did you Kill SPOILER?" He probably should have. But the game has been out for 10 months now. Even if you put considerable time into the game, you should have atleast finished the main quest by now. I mean I've personally logged over 300 hours in the game at this point. Still I'm sorry that you were spoiled. I hate it when that happens in an RPG that I'm playing.

Completed: 74 Retail Games and 7 Arcade Games

Proudest Completion to Date: Dark Souls 1000/1000 on Xbox 360 and 1000/1000 on PC
BloodGodAlucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #14
UberPirateNinja

UberPirateNinja's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
I killed him, mainly to clear the quiet out of my quest log, had an attack of OCD an wanted to empty it completely. Felt bad doing it tho, would rather have killed the blades.
UberPirateNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:53 AM   #15
The Pandamic

the pandamic's Gamercard
Spoilers

I really do think he makes a great character. I mean a dragon, leader of the greybeards and speaks in half dragon language towards you.

(ex: You're pretty good. dookie jeezuz thuunak}

I just thought having someone that powerful looking is great to keep. And I agree with the blades being ungrateful.

The Pandamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #16
SolarFury

InjusticeReborn's Gamercard
Looks like I'll be keeping him alive then.

I'm about to hit the 300 hour mark with my third character, and this time I've finally created a Nord who I will take through the main quest. I knew of the character in question and that you could decide their fate, but I never knew the consequences.

Cheers for the info lads.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:57 AM   #17
RDrules

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_2 View Post
I killed him, mainly to clear the quiet out of my quest log, had an attack of OCD an wanted to empty it completely. Felt bad doing it tho, would rather have killed the blades.
I'd like to do that but half the misc quests are stuck there >.< they drive me insane
Old 08-29-2012, 03:04 PM   #18
Tortyreus

Tortyreus's Gamercard
Either way it doesn't matter, even now after 7 updates, Esbern's Potion is still glitched and doesn't work. Leave him alive, then you'll be able to meditate on words, the Blades are useless anyway
Tortyreus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:08 AM   #19
mitcho2013

mitcho2013's Gamercard
I let him live due to having a lot of respect for him. That and he's a dangerous dragon and would rip through me quicker than a Ferrari on the Autobahn.

Mitch
mitcho2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #20
Thicketford

Thicketford's Gamercard
He went against his inherent evil nature to help you beat Alduin. The Blades are a bunch of short sighted idiots. "We don't care that he helped you, kill him because he's a Dragon hurr durrr."

Fuck you Delphine. Keep hanging out with Esbern who can't seem to decide what accent he has.

In summary...

Bro tier = Paarthurnax
Shit Tier = The Blades
Thicketford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:41 AM   #21
NightOfSyn

I say no point in killing him, you dont need the blades and plus you can always just steal their armor if you want it. Just give the armor to a follow if your doing the brotherhood of darkness quests.

Also Paarthurnax is awesome, the blades suck i killed him once on a secondary profile and recruited followers and everytime i summoned Odaviing their dumbasses attacked him.
NightOfSyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #22
E10phoenix

darkphoenix1992's Gamercard
Wow, way to put a spoiler in the title lol
Old 04-15-2013, 05:55 PM   #23
Jack Frost

MEETSP1NNER's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Silver   Staff Club - rekikire   Knife in the Dark Challenge Club - Tier 1   Artist of the Month   Community Gaming - Bronze   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 2   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Micro Guide - Bronze   Over Achiever - Silver   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 10 (more» ...)
I thought he was way too cool.

I could never bring myself to kill him. Fuck the Blades...
Old 04-15-2013, 11:03 PM   #24
Akir388

Akir388's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gamer Chick!
I couldn't kill Paarthurnax after everything he did to help me defeat Alduin. He doesn't deserve to die. He has redeemed himself. I felt like I would be betraying him and the Greybeards if I went through with it.

Also, I stole the Dragonbane sword from the Blades as an added little "fuck you". Ha!

Sig made by Gackt
Akir388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:06 AM   #25
guillermo316

Fantasychampion's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
I killed him, he was a bad dragon and I passed down judgement as the dragon-born because that's what I do. ya heard. lol

ScOoP!

Last edited by guillermo316; 04-16-2013 at 02:41 AM.
guillermo316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #26
Craphex

Craphex's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Silver   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I remember a while ago someone said you can sell dragon scales and bones to the blades for higher prices than normal merchants, but only after you kill Paarth. Is this true?

100,000G Reached: 25/04/12
Craphex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #27
ecto69

ecto69's Gamercard
I play a dragon killer so all them get killed. Does not matter to me.
I figured you had to kill them all so as soon as I had a chance bye bye paarthurnax.

Never really missed it.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:27 AM   #28
xYuki

Okami Ryouko's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDestiny619 View Post
Its hard to decide if I should kill him or not so I was wondering if anyone knows the benefits of killing him and the benefits of NOT killing him
If you want to kill Paarthurnax, you can.

Personally, I think Paarthurnax is an amazing dragon and didn't decide to kill him.
One ring to bring them
And in darkness bind them
xYuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:50 AM   #29
Akir388

Akir388's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gamer Chick!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craphex View Post
I remember a while ago someone said you can sell dragon scales and bones to the blades for higher prices than normal merchants, but only after you kill Paarth. Is this true?
Nope, that is not true. I let him live and can craft armor and weapons using dragon scales and bone.

I almost always wear my legendary dragonscale armor.

Edit - Opps, just realized you asked about selling the scales and bones to the Blades. Not sure about that, haha.

Sig made by Gackt
Akir388 is offline   Reply With Quote