PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Discussion Boards > Games
Subscribe    Donate

Old 04-22-2013, 07:03 PM   #1
Vampire Amaya

Vampire Amaya's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Things you both like AND dislike in games

Is there anything in games that you like, but at the same time you can't stand it?

I like collectibles in games, but at the same time I hate them with a passion! It gives you something to do when you don't want to do any more missions/levels, but there always seems to be too many!

I like an open world feeling in some games, but hate the way there can be just way too much to explore.

Vampire Amaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
AmbaLaBamba

AmbaLaBamba's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   Over Achiever - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
I'm the same with collectibles, some games I love them but others I just can't be bothered with the hassle and I'd wish they'd just go!

The knife in Call of Duty. No, seriously. Love it when I can get my own back on people and go on a huge killing rampage with just one swipe but when it comes to be getting kicked up the booty numerous times in one match by the same person with the knife... well you can guess what I like to shout out to the TV!

AmbaLaBamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
Barad
Super Fun Time

Send a message via Skype™ to Barad

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   Community Gaming - Emerald   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Bronze   Road Map - Emerald   Achievement Guide - Platinum   Donator - Level 2   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer
Total Awards: 23 (more» ...)
Multiplayer..this is probably for most gamers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotyMcFat View Post
I bought destiny thinking it was a game, instead I got a Zoo.

Barad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:46 PM   #4
NonExistent God

NonExistent God's Gamercard
Collectibles...

I absolutely hate them when there are too many. A prime example is the 300 pidgeons in GTA 4

But on the other hand I do quite like them when they are easy to track, such as the collectibles in Far Cry 3
NonExistent God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:48 PM   #5
FailMeister

semper solvo's Gamercard
I love being able to develop romantic relationships with characters, but half the time there is no depth to the relationship, and it generally just boils down to sex. Still, being able to emotionally connect with a NPC is pretty cool.
FailMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
AmbaLaBamba

AmbaLaBamba's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   Over Achiever - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FailMeister View Post
I love being able to develop romantic relationships with characters, but half the time there is no depth to the relationship, and it generally just boils down to sex. Still, being able to emotionally connect with a NPC is pretty cool.
Wow, can't say that I've heard many people say that.

AmbaLaBamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:25 PM   #7
Ty-Rex
I <3 troy0891 x360a

Tylord824's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 3   CABS Beta Tester   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 2   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Subscriber - Bronze   Micro Guide - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 10 (more» ...)
Quote:
THE INTERNET AT IT'S FINEST LADIES AND GENTS!

You asked for it, you can't un-ask for it!

thanks for the new sig, weird dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbaLaBamba View Post
Wow, can't say that I've heard many people say that.
Because no one should ever say it ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakethemuss View Post
I could be a stud with females and get laid all the time

Ty-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #8
BiggD
54 Days 'Til Halo 2

BiggDope's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Gold   Road Map - Gold   10,000 posts   Submit - Diamond   Micro Guide - Diamond   A+ Thread Award   CABS Beta Tester   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   Donator - Level 2   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal
Total Awards: 16 (more» ...)
Quote:

Thanks to Xerofox for the stunningly suave signature!
BiggD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:45 PM   #9
Slaughter.
The Knife in the Dark

Cpt Slaugh7er's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonExistent God View Post
Collectibles...

I absolutely hate them when there are too many. A prime example is the 300 pidgeons in GTA 4

But on the other hand I do quite like them when they are easy to track, such as the collectibles in Far Cry 3
And the feathers and flags in Assassin's Creed 1 and 2. However I thought they were done nicely in Assassin's Creed 3. A game where collectible safe done nicely is Batman: Arkham City; you don't see specifically where the Riddler Trophies are, but they are broken up into regions, which prevents hours of searching for the last freaking collectible.

OT: Like B A R 4 D mentioned, multiplayer. Games like Call of Duty, Halo, and Battlefield should have multiplayer with achievements, but games like Tomb Raider and Assassin's Creed should not have multiplayer at all and should focus on single player, because that's what those games excel in.

Most recent completion -
Dark

Slaughter. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:03 PM   #10
Aceman417

Aceman417's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Donator - Level 1
Naked women. I like when they are in games, and dislike when they aren't in games.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:08 PM   #11
Spade.

Send a message via Skype™ to Spade.

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Donator - Level 2   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff Club - Minty   Subscriber - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   Micro Guide - Bronze   Ambassador 1x1 Competition - Second Place
Total Awards: 15 (more» ...)
Achievements.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:59 PM   #12
StayonTarget
Goggles Anybody?

Send a message via Skype™ to StayonTarget

TheStayonTarget's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Emerald   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Donator - Level 2   CABS Beta Tester   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Micro Guide - Platinum   Subscriber - Bronze   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - Minty
Total Awards: 19 (more» ...)
One hit kill melee. Especially in multiplayer. Seems to fuck you over 10 to 1 for saving you but when it actually does you feel so relieved.

Thanks to Rajeanero for the sig!
StayonTarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:26 AM   #13
KillerBEA
Lords Are Coming

Send a message via Skype™ to KillerBEA

KillerBEA XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Silver   Community Gaming - Platinum   Donator - Level 2   Staff Club - Madhatters13   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 2   Fight Club Challenge Club - Tier 1   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - KillerBEA   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 1
Total Awards: 27 (more» ...)
Legitimate difficulty.

Its great to have an AI opponent that puts up a good fight because he is smart and actually knows how to fight back, counter etc.. It forces the player to actually get good and not learn mundane patterns.

But this also creates an issue of frustration where the game can almost become too difficult and unfun.

Honestly the feeling of success against a really tough/smart opponent out-weighs the frustration.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:38 AM   #14
StayonTarget
Goggles Anybody?

Send a message via Skype™ to StayonTarget

TheStayonTarget's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Emerald   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Donator - Level 2   CABS Beta Tester   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Micro Guide - Platinum   Subscriber - Bronze   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - Minty
Total Awards: 19 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBEA View Post
Legitimate difficulty.

Its great to have an AI opponent that puts up a good fight because he is smart and actually knows how to fight back, counter etc.. It forces the player to actually get good and not learn mundane patterns.

But this also creates an issue of frustration where the game can almost become too difficult and unfun.

Honestly the feeling of success against a really tough/smart opponent out-weighs the frustration.
And then there's the artificial difficulty of hundreds of enemies, virtually no health, and bullets who don't do damage.

Thanks to Rajeanero for the sig!
StayonTarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:49 AM   #15
Capn Doug

Capn Doug XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - rekikire   The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   Arcade Crazy - Platinum   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 2   Off to the Races Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Shiftie   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 3   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 3   Community Gaming - Gold   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 2
Total Awards: 48 (more» ...)
Multiple playthroughs.

I like that games are replayable, but at the same time, forcing multiple playthroughs on us by doing things like locking out the hardest difficulty in your first playthrough is just garbage.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:49 AM   #16
Quagm1re

FrisbeeGolfer's Gamercard
Quote:
Legitimate difficulty.

Ditto. I'm playing Infinite Undiscovery on infinity mode right now and just making it through the first 20 minutes of the game took about 6 hours and many, many deaths and four-letter words.
Quagm1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:26 AM   #17
WalterWhite

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade. View Post
Achievements.
I was going to try and find a way to say this simpler than Spade but short of an abbreviation I can't figure out how to. They're both fun and game breaking for me. I'm probably the only person on this site who actually hopes our scores reset next-gen.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:32 AM   #18
BiggD
54 Days 'Til Halo 2

BiggDope's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Gold   Road Map - Gold   10,000 posts   Submit - Diamond   Micro Guide - Diamond   A+ Thread Award   CABS Beta Tester   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   Donator - Level 2   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal
Total Awards: 16 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterWhite View Post
I was going to try and find a way to say this simpler than Spade but short of an abbreviation I can't figure out how to. They're both fun and game breaking for me. I'm probably the only person on this site who actually hopes our scores reset next-gen.
No, Mr. White. I am with you on that.

Thanks to Xerofox for the stunningly suave signature!
BiggD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:51 AM   #19
Spade.

Send a message via Skype™ to Spade.

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Donator - Level 2   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff Club - Minty   Subscriber - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   Micro Guide - Bronze   Ambassador 1x1 Competition - Second Place
Total Awards: 15 (more» ...)
Quote:
No, you're not.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:01 AM   #20
KillerBEA
Lords Are Coming

Send a message via Skype™ to KillerBEA

KillerBEA XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Silver   Community Gaming - Platinum   Donator - Level 2   Staff Club - Madhatters13   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 2   Fight Club Challenge Club - Tier 1   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - KillerBEA   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 1
Total Awards: 27 (more» ...)
Quote:
I don't want a complete reset but I would like to see score earned on 360 and "720" differentiated on our profiles.

Although if there was a complete reset, I wouldn't be completely pissed. Maybe a bit agitated but not enough to leave the brand.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:16 AM   #21
Slaughter.
The Knife in the Dark

Cpt Slaugh7er's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Quote:
I don't want a complete reset but I would like to see score earned on 360 and "720" differentiated on our profiles.

Although if there was a complete reset, I wouldn't be completely pissed. Maybe a bit agitated but not enough to leave the brand.
Totally agree I'd rather have the scores differentiated but still have a total score. Why would anyone want to have there gamerscore reset?

Most recent completion -
Dark

Slaughter. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:42 AM   #22
Aceman417

Aceman417's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Donator - Level 1
Quote:

360 and 720 different would be good. You can have them total on the main gamercard, then split off once you access it.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:02 AM   #23
Ninja Eagle

Captain Cotchy's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Collectibles

I like them when they're available for you to see on your Map/HUD, but when you need a guide that's just really annoying and time consuming.

Ninja Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:21 AM   #24
Direkin

Direkin's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Shinobi273   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Silver   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Rajeanero   Staff Club - DEG23   Staff Club - DeekBoy   Submit - Bronze   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   XBA Promoter   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by V1ZIONZxBLOOD View Post
Totally agree I'd rather have the scores differentiated but still have a total score. Why would anyone want to have there gamerscore reset?
Remember back in the day when people used to play games just for the fun factor? Well, it's for that reason. Sure, you could do it right now, but there are many out there who would rather see a game complete, and have as many achievements/as much game score as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabba View Post
The mirror is staring right at the post which reads you are............. So hilarious that english makes them their posting.... Well done cheevo for confirming that you....... You must be drunk to not realise that or just another incoherent fool..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gackt View Post
heh...don't try to reason with the masses my friend, tis a waste of time
Direkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:25 AM   #25
RaitakanaMendoza

Arrow

Collectathons are something I can't stand. If they are done where you don't have to waste too much time, like Grand Theft Auto San Andreas then I find them okay. I just do not like them in the older platforming games.
RaitakanaMendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:46 AM   #26
WalterWhite

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direkin View Post
Remember back in the day when people used to play games just for the fun factor? Well, it's for that reason. Sure, you could do it right now, but there are many out there who would rather see a game complete, and have as many achievements/as much game score as possible.
Exactly.

They've become nearly impossible to ignore. You almost feel like you aren't getting your money's worth on some level by ignoring them. They exist. They're basically a challenge in completion from developers so they get acknowledged when most of the time the tasks don't add anything to the game. At their best, they can, but that's rarely the case. More and more it becomes obvious they exist to keep me connected to a server grinding my guts out to inflate numbers that falsely represent the popularity of a game.

I guess it's my own fault though. If I had the willpower I would just turn notifications off altogether and make my game history unviewable. But then I'd find myself thinking...

They've become nearly impossible to ignore. You almost feel like you aren't getting your money's worth on some level by ignoring them. They exist. They're basically a challenge in completion from developers so they get acknowledged when most of the time the tasks don't add anything to the game. At their best, they can, but that's rarely the case. More and more it becomes obvious they exist to keep me connected to a server grinding my guts out to inflate numbers that falsely represent the popularity of a game.

Last edited by WalterWhite; 04-23-2013 at 06:50 AM.
WalterWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:52 AM   #27
Capn Doug

Capn Doug XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - rekikire   The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   Arcade Crazy - Platinum   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 2   Off to the Races Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Shiftie   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 3   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 3   Community Gaming - Gold   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 2
Total Awards: 48 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direkin View Post
And remember how completionists existed long before the achievement system? I remember trying to get all the puzzle points in the King's Quest series, I got all the Pokemon, some people went for speed runs in Mario Brothers 3, others went to top leaderboards or discover every secret in Wolfenstien 3D.

Achievements aren't the problem, something else would take their place in people's particular OCD. Achievements do not detract from the fun since you can completely ignore them if you want, and you can use tham for an additional challenge if you so desire.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:59 AM   #28
Aceman417

Aceman417's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Doug View Post
And remember how completionists existed long before the achievement system? I remember trying to get all the puzzle points in the King's Quest series, I got all the Pokemon, some people went for speed runs in Mario Brothers 3, others went to top leaderboards or discover every secret in Wolfenstien 3D.

Achievements aren't the problem, something else would take their place in people's particular OCD. Achievements do not detract from the fun since you can completely ignore them if you want, and you can use tham for an additional challenge if you so desire.
I agree with this. Achievements to me are a way to show off my accomplishments, and to basically prove it.
If I find a game enjoyable I will aim to complete every aspect of it, rather than just for for the achievements.
Also, some games I had fun going for all the achievements, Budokai Hd for example, smashing everyone with SSJ4 Goku was awesome, and made me enjoy it more.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:39 AM   #29
DecadentBeaver

DecadentBeaver's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Legitimate difficulty.

This a million times over. I don't mind a challenge, but when you get screwed over by over powered AI. It just infuriates me.

Collectables. Done right, like Batman Arkham Asylum, are actually quite fun. I really enjoyed finding them all. When they are done wrong however. Like Crackdown. Wow, it's a pain in the arse. With Bioshock, I didn't mind too much as the Audio Diaries expanded on the story, same with Dead Space 2. Definitely a love/hate relationship.

Looking for people to join me in an epic Minecraft build once again. Its in creative, so if you are interested, message me for details.
DecadentBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:56 AM   #30
yorkvsr

some games I love them but others I just can't be bothered with the hassle and I'd wish they'd just go!

yorkvsr is offline   Reply With Quote