PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Discussion Boards > Games
Subscribe    Donate

Old 04-04-2013, 06:13 AM   #181
Felonious Monk

HopeStillFlies's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Gamer Chick!   1,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Silver
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
With the closing of LucasArts we need to keep an eye on Fracture. I'm boosting it as fast as I can.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #182
THE DEADLY DOG
Maximum Clubs Guide Dog

Send a message via AIM to THE DEADLY DOG Send a message via MSN to THE DEADLY DOG Send a message via Skype™ to THE DEADLY DOG

THE DEADLY DOG's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Diamond   Community Gaming - Bronze   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 2   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Achievement Guide - Gold   Road Map - Gold   Staff - Maximum Clubs Director   Micro Guide - Gold   Subscriber - Bronze   Staff Club - * Clueless *   2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 16 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Monk View Post
With the closing of LucasArts we need to keep an eye on Fracture. I'm boosting it as fast as I can.
Awesome call Monk. Adding it to the crosshairs list now.

You have to get on the train in the beginning when things are still changing and everything is rough, unpolished, and incomplete in order to enjoy the bliss found at your stop.
THE DEADLY DOG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #183
aspa

a s p a's Gamercard
So are the servers for C&C: Red Alert 3 dead too? I'm trying to get my final 3 co-op missions done, but I can't get connected to the ea servers.

/edit: That's been since last weekend..
aspa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:43 AM   #184
THE DEADLY DOG
Maximum Clubs Guide Dog

Send a message via AIM to THE DEADLY DOG Send a message via MSN to THE DEADLY DOG Send a message via Skype™ to THE DEADLY DOG

Awards Showcase Submit - Diamond   Community Gaming - Bronze   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 2   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Achievement Guide - Gold   Road Map - Gold   Staff - Maximum Clubs Director   Micro Guide - Gold   Subscriber - Bronze   Staff Club - * Clueless *   2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspa View Post
So are the servers for C&C: Red Alert 3 dead too? I'm trying to get my final 3 co-op missions done, but I can't get connected to the ea servers.

/edit: That's been since last weekend..
I'll take a look and report back.

Edit: The servers may be dead, but there is no official EA statement regarding the servers being down. I suggest sending them a ticket.

You have to get on the train in the beginning when things are still changing and everything is rough, unpolished, and incomplete in order to enjoy the bliss found at your stop.

Last edited by THE DEADLY DOG; 04-14-2013 at 12:55 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:21 AM   #185
mcnichoj

mcnichoj's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Arcade Crazy - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
They just won't be making any new games, Disney will keep the servers/game content up.

“You’re acting like a little girl lately. And not in a good way.” - Henry Winkler

People tell me I'm weird and that I'm not conventional
Someone asked me what my dream girl is and I told them with a lot of depth but two dimensional
mcnichoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:39 AM   #186
aspa

a s p a's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DEADLY DOG View Post
I'll take a look and report back.

Edit: The servers may be dead, but there is no official EA statement regarding the servers being down. I suggest sending them a ticket.
I know, I've looked around the web and I couldn't find any info about a server closure. Could you tell me how to send them a ticket? Never had to deal with ea before. :/

/edit: lol

Last edited by aspa; 04-14-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #187
THE DEADLY DOG
Maximum Clubs Guide Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnichoj View Post
They just won't be making any new games, Disney will keep the servers/game content up.
Good to know. Definitely will alleviate some stress hairs.

Quote:
I know, I've looked around the web and I couldn't find any info about a server closure. Could you tell me how to send them a ticket? Never had to deal with ea before. :/

/edit: lol
Let me find out how. I'll probably get back to you tonight.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #188
aspa

a s p a's Gamercard
Quote:
Let me find out how. I'll probably get back to you tonight.
Thanks man, looking forward to it. In case that no one noticed, there's a link hidden in the edit of my post above. Check it out, Ea's support at its best, lol.

Last edited by aspa; 04-14-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:10 PM   #189
Felonious Monk

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Gamer Chick!   1,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Silver
Quote:
Uh, sure. You have a source for that, because Day 1 Studios was acquired by a different studio earlier this year on top of this acquisition.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #190
ChickenDoughnut

ChickenDoughnut's Gamercard
Is there anywhere on here I can look to boost achievements on some of my games? PM me or reply here if you can help, thanks!
ChickenDoughnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #191
THE DEADLY DOG
Maximum Clubs Guide Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenDoughnut View Post
Is there anywhere on here I can look to boost achievements on some of my games? PM me or reply here if you can help, thanks!
I would go to each individual game's forum to find ones that you need help boosting.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #192
aspa

a s p a's Gamercard
The servers for C&C: Red Alert 3 are back online!
Old 04-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #193
THE DEADLY DOG
Maximum Clubs Guide Dog

Quote:
The servers for C&C: Red Alert 3 are back online!
Good to hear mate.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:13 AM   #194
mcnichoj

mcnichoj's Gamercard

Quote:
Uh, sure. You have a source for that, because Day 1 Studios was acquired by a different studio earlier this year on top of this acquisition.
Before I go into details, where's your evidence that it will shutdown?

Absence of evidence isn't the evidence of absence.

Midway got shutdown, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 servers are still up among other Midway titles.
Atari got shutdown, it's servers and games remain up.
Relic was bought before the THQ shutdown and Space Marine remained intact.
Mentioning THQ, only Homefront servers got shutdown (Nexiuz is 50/50 related) and it's mostly speculated because Crytek is going to put up its own servers.
Arkedo got shutdown and yet Sega kept Death Rabbit up and its even on sale right now.

Yes I would get any and all these games done while you still can but it's nothing to flip out about.
It costs more to shutdown servers and remove content then it does just leaving it up.

“You’re acting like a little girl lately. And not in a good way.” - Henry Winkler

Someone asked me what my dream girl is and I told them with a lot of depth but two dimensional
Old 04-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #195
Felonious Monk

Quote:
Absence of evidence isn't the evidence of absence.

Quote:
It costs more to shutdown servers and remove content then it does just leaving it up.

Please. Pull the other one.

I'm not into your speculation. I said "We need to keep an eye on it." not "it's closing and prove me otherwise". You're saying that it's definitely not on the chopping block. I'm saying back it up. Otherwise you can shut the fuck up. You can pull the Rummy card all you want, but please note that he's caricature of a character anyway; using "the absence of evidence" argument as your argument as to why I say it needs to have an eye kept on it just reinforces what a buffoon you are.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #196
kaleido42
CET

Send a message via Skype™ to kaleido42

kaleido42's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - kaleido42   Community Gaming - Gold   Submit - Diamond   Donator - Level 5   Staff - Community and Events Team   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 2   2,500 Posts   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 1   CABS Beta Tester   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Subscriber - Platinum
Total Awards: 18 (more» ...)
Quote:
Sorry for busting in mid conversation, but what? Keeping servers up requires maintenance, there's bandwidth cost, not to mention physical floor space and related costs (cooling). A single server might not seem like much to a multi-billion dollar corporation, but when they've shut down dozens of servers, like EA, it keeps a lot of money in their pockets. The cost to actually shut them down can't be much more than what they pay hourly to the intern that walks down the hall to pull the power.

Thanks for the sig Rajeanero!
kaleido42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:05 PM   #197
Felonious Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleido42 View Post
Sorry for busting in mid conversation, but what? Keeping servers up requires maintenance, there's bandwidth cost, not to mention physical floor space and related costs (cooling). A single server might not seem like much to a multi-billion dollar corporation, but when they've shut down dozens of servers, like EA, it keeps a lot of money in their pockets. The cost to actually shut them down can't be much more than what they pay hourly to the intern that walks down the hall to pull the power.
Thanks for the reinforcement on that. It was such an absurd assertion that I didn't even feel it merited addressing; just laughing at.

Power isn't free, either. Our Xserve racks at the office cost a good $70 a month to run if our meter is to be believed. That isn't much to a corporation, sure, but come time to trim the fat, old servers will always always always be shut off if they're not contributing in some way.

We're not buttcoin miners. If my boss came to the conclusion that a machine in service was costing more than it was generating, either directly or indirectly, it's plug gets pulled.

Fracture's servers being up has merely been goodwill on the part of LucasArts and Day 1 Studios/Wargaming.net, considering that no new units have been moved for a solid couple of years and the game was released in, what, 2008? 5 years is a good run and our expectations shouldn't be too high unless someone is willing to organize for 3rd parties to host orphaned games as I've said all along.

For mj to come in here and say "you've got nothing to worry about" when there's something to worry about is a douche move.

The same, I'll be boosting this game until it's gone. Just got my 1000G on it today on my account, have a silver queued up to help on another box if someone needs to wrap up today/tomorrow.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:58 AM   #198
killer297

Suicidebunny117's Gamercard
Errm I don't know if it has already been mentioned but I am pretty sure that Turning point: fall of liberty has no servers any more or at least for a long time anyways. Sorry if it seems an 'old' game but I just thought that I would share what I know although I think that you might have to do a little checking but I am pretty sure.

killer297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #199
THE DEADLY DOG
Maximum Clubs Guide Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer297 View Post
Errm I don't know if it has already been mentioned but I am pretty sure that Turning point: fall of liberty has no servers any more or at least for a long time anyways. Sorry if it seems an 'old' game but I just thought that I would share what I know although I think that you might have to do a little checking but I am pretty sure.
Do you have the game and have tried to log into the servers unsuccessfully?

Old 04-22-2013, 04:30 AM   #200
mcnichoj

mcnichoj's Gamercard

Quote:
You're saying that it's definitely not on the chopping block. I'm saying back it up. Otherwise you can shut the fuck up.
1. Every game is ALWAYS on the chopping block. How many games have closed out of nowhere with no notification or real reason?
2. I did back it up by giving examples of multiples studios that have gone under and maintained servers which was a direct counter to you saying that just because the studio was gone that so would the server.
3. I did back it up with several examples to your one, so I don't see why I need to "shut the fuck up".

Quote:
The cost to actually shut them down can't be much more than what they pay hourly to the intern that walks down the hall to pull the power.
Whatever cartoon image you have in your head of a guy strolling into a room with a bunch of monitors and flashing lights with a giant red button labeled "SERVER SHUTDOWN" isn't entirely accurate.
Things like this need to go through dozens of people for approval among a few other things.

Quote:
For mj to come in here and say "you've got nothing to worry about" when there's something to worry about is a douche move.
Sure, calling me offensive names doesn't seem like a unrational reaction to telling people to not be stressed over a video game server going down with only pure speculation that's easily countered by several examples of servers not going down under the same if not worse sircumstances.

Not sure why you feel threatened by me and have to continuously attack me.

Can someone check the MX vs ATV games?
People at the sister site are reporting Reflex is down.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:17 AM   #201
kaleido42
CET

kaleido42's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - kaleido42   Community Gaming - Gold   Submit - Diamond   Donator - Level 5   Staff - Community and Events Team   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 2   2,500 Posts   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 1   CABS Beta Tester   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Subscriber - Platinum
Quote:
Whatever cartoon image you have in your head of a guy strolling into a room with a bunch of monitors and flashing lights with a giant red button labeled "SERVER SHUTDOWN" isn't entirely accurate.
Things like this need to go through dozens of people for approval among a few other things.
I've been to a handful of data centers, I'm quite well aware of the lack of a big red button.

A decision to take a server down is just as much of a decision to keep it up, there's no real reason to factor that in as a cost. Companies like EA would likely have set up fairly streamlined for deciding when to shut down servers, they frequently comment on a certain active user population being the main reason.

Besides if it really costs more to keep servers up than to take them down like you claim, then why the hell does EA, 2K, Microsoft, etc shut down their servers? These companies have a goal of making money, and they shut down older servers to do so.

Quote:
Thanks for the reinforcement on that. It was such an absurd assertion that I didn't even feel it merited addressing; just laughing at.

Power isn't free, either.
No problem. Can't believe that I remembered the cost of power for cooling but forgot power required to run the servers.

Last edited by kaleido42; 04-22-2013 at 05:19 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:49 AM   #202
mcnichoj

mcnichoj's Gamercard

Quote:
A decision to take a server down is just as much of a decision to keep it up, there's no real reason to factor that in as a cost. Companies like EA would likely have set up fairly streamlined for deciding when to shut down servers, they frequently comment on a certain active user population being the main reason.

Besides if it really costs more to keep servers up than to take them down like you claim, then why the hell does EA, 2K, Microsoft, etc shut down their servers? These companies have a goal of making money, and they shut down older servers to do so.
You guys are thinking of this way too small.
Yes a dollar you save today is a dollar you have tomorrow but you saving a dollar doesn't impact thousands to millions of consumers.
When you close a server that negatively impacts the brand and companies involved with the game.
If you close one Halo server then nothing is stopping you from closing more Halo servers which is why the announcement about Halo Wars going down had such severe backlash and ended up staying.
Companies like EA can afford to close servers because the people that get mad at a yearly sports franchise server closing is heavily outweighed by those that will buy the new version every year.
EA actually closes servers as a way to force people to buy the new version.
Same reason 2K does it.
Same reason with Sega and Phantasy Star Universe so they can sell PSO2.

MS is actually surprisingly good at keeping servers up. Not sure why you mentioned them.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:33 AM   #203
kaleido42
CET

kaleido42's Gamercard

Quote:
You guys are thinking of this way too small.
Yes a dollar you save today is a dollar you have tomorrow
Any cost associated with a shut down is a one time cost. The cost of keeping servers running is continuous. Shutting down a server isn't just about the money their saving that day, it's the enormous amount of future savings.

Quote:
Companies like EA can afford to close servers because the people that get mad at a yearly sports franchise server closing is heavily outweighed by those that will buy the new version every year.
EA actually closes servers as a way to force people to buy the new version.
Same reason 2K does it.
Same reason with Sega and Phantasy Star Universe so they can sell PSO2.
EA has shut down servers long past the point that it would affect sales of newer games (Burnout Revenge) and also on games without sequels (LoTR: Conquest). Running a business efficiently doesn't just require pushing for high revenue, it also requires reducing your monthly expenses (AKA: servers).

Quote:
MS is actually surprisingly good at keeping servers up. Not sure why you mentioned them.
They ceased complete support for the original xbox. A more current example would be the Halo 2 PC shut down coming in June. And just recently we saw the shutdown of the Forza 2 auction house. Not saying they're as bad as some of the other publishers, but they've got some of the most recent and surprising examples.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #204
THE DEADLY DOG
Maximum Clubs Guide Dog

Every time I get a notification that this thread has been posted in I get all excited that someone found another game.

*Goes back to lurking.*

Old 04-23-2013, 12:51 AM   #205
mcnichoj

mcnichoj's Gamercard

Quote:
Every time I get a notification that this thread has been posted in I get all excited that someone found another game.

*Goes back to lurking.*
Excited?
I figure most people have mini-heart attacks.

More games that need to be checked:
WWE All Stars
UFC 3, everything but player matches
50 Cent BotS?

Old 04-23-2013, 12:58 AM   #206
THE DEADLY DOG
Maximum Clubs Guide Dog

Quote:
Excited?

WWE All Stars
50 Cent BotS?
Ahh that's right. I knew I was missing something between the giddieness of a new email and the shock and horror of another game I possibly can not complete.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:21 PM   #207
Nozza XBA

SnozzyBear's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Diamond   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   Achievement Guide - Platinum   Road Map - Platinum   Micro Guide - Silver   Over Achiever - Silver   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Donator - Level 3   A+ Thread Award
Total Awards: 14 (more» ...)
Just read on a TA feed that SKATE 3 upload and rate website side of things is due to be taken down on April 29th.

Looking into it, but can't find anything yet. Maybe because it's not server related. Though if it does close, it'll mean a few achievements will be unobtainable unless it can still be done via the game... Not sure what's linked to what.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #208
haag1978

haag1978's Gamercard
Many Thanks
haag1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:17 PM   #209
leviathan937

Leviathan937's Gamercard
Quote:
Excited?

WWE All Stars
50 Cent BotS?

I've been playing 50 Cent BotS online up untill a week or so ago without a problem. I'll check it again and get back to you.

My collection?
15x 360 consoles, 240+ retails games
(and counting)
leviathan937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:35 AM   #210
mcnichoj

mcnichoj's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by leviathan937 View Post
I've been playing 50 Cent BotS online up untill a week or so ago without a problem. I'll check it again and get back to you.
When you report back can you state if it's the international or Japanese version?