PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Subscribe    Donate

Old 04-15-2013, 04:15 AM   #1
KiNG Y0Y0

KiNG Y0Y0's Gamercard
VR 18 Trouble

VR 18 is HARD.
I've seen several guides for this and they all make sense. The only problem is that I have trouble doing the perfect parry on the Mastiffs. I'm more comfortable fighting the Fenrirs, than the Mastiffs, which is sad, considering most people have trouble on round three. I've only made it to the third round a few times, which was luck.

I guess the purpose of this thread is to ask when the perfect parry must be executed. I usually do it too early, resulting in a regular block. 1 in about 25 runs, I'll get the perfect parry on the Mastiffs, only to get screwed over by the heavy guys on round three.
If I could consistently get to round 3, I would be more willing to try this level some more, but as it stands, I'm very discouraged, considering I've put about 7 hours into this level which can be completed in 7 minutes.

Any tips on the timing for perfect parry's would be appreciated. Or just tips in general.

Thanks, and sorry for my somewhat bitchy post. I'm just frustrated.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:55 AM   #2
Doopliss SWE

doopliss swe's Gamercard
What I did was:

1: As they spawn, I hug the middle of the wall I spawned next to.
2: They will both do a leap attack at the same time. I move diagonally backwards, away from them, and away from the wall slightly.
3: I press forward+X as they land. For a parry, you need to wait as long as possible. The leap attack is the easiest Mastiff attack to parry, since it's clearly telegraphed exactly when the hit comes.
4: I hit them both with the counter. I press Y+A as soon as the 2nd one gets stunned, OR I walk to the left and do it on the hind guy (The latter method can be sabotaged by the Dwarf Gekkos though).
5: Both die, the one you didn't execute gets killed by the body of the other one as you swing it around.

Hope you get it to work. With this method I had at least a 50% success rate.

Last edited by Doopliss SWE; 04-15-2013 at 08:12 AM.
Doopliss SWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #3
KiNG Y0Y0

KiNG Y0Y0's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doopliss SWE View Post
What I did was:

1: As they spawn, I hug the middle of the wall I spawned next to.
2: They will both do a leap attack at the same time. I move diagonally backwards, away from them, and away from the wall slightly.
3: I press forward+X as they land. For a parry, you need to wait as long as possible. The leap attack is the easiest Mastiff attack to parry, since it's clearly telegraphed exactly when the hit comes.
4: I hit them both with the counter. I press Y+A as soon as the 2nd one gets stunned, OR I walk to the left and do it on the hind guy (The latter method can be sabotaged by the Dwarf Gekkos though).
5: Both die, the one you didn't execute gets killed by the body of the other one as you swing it around.

Hope you get it to work. With this method I had at least a 50% success rate.
I'll give it a try, thanks.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
Solid Gally

Yautja762's Gamercard
I sucked at this mission and just kept trying and trying.. and trying again. Eventually, I nailed it.

One thing I definitely would suggest is turning the music and voice volume to zero.
Doing this will keep your rage levels (slightly) in check.

With the Mastiffs, my tactic was to immediately run and wait in a corner after killing the Gekko and the Scarabs. As soon as the Mastiff's spawn, begin running around the edges of the room in a clockwise circle and do not stop. Wait for one to leap onto a wall and prepare to parry him as he lands (this is easily the quickest and easiest method for killing them).

If one of them begins chasing you at close proximity he WILL go for the dropkick attack. This simply has to be parried, as the attack 'sticks to Raiden' (so to speak).

It's also worth having the Sai equipped as a secondary weapon. When fully charged, it will stun a Mastiff with a single strike. This can sometimes serve as a 'get out of jail free card' but is still risky. You'll also definitely want the Sai equipped for the final stage of the mission (the GRAD). Simply charge the Sai, then strike with it, then nail a combo (whilst watching for the Sai to charge and turn purple), then rinse and repeat.

Hope some of this helps.
Solid Gally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:45 PM   #5
Doopliss SWE

doopliss swe's Gamercard
Personally I just slaughtered the GRAD with Bloodlust. And the Fenrir. And the Heavy Cyborgs. And the Dwarf Gekkos (They like to run around below you when you charge air Y). You get the point.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:48 PM   #6
KiNG Y0Y0

KiNG Y0Y0's Gamercard
Still having trouble. I can consistently get passed the Mastiffs, now, but the Fenrir kicks my ass. -_-
Hate
Old 04-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
Doopliss SWE

doopliss swe's Gamercard
Stay close to it. Use the camera to keep the heavy cyborgs form attacking. If it starts shooting, you're dead. If you manage to land Bloodlust YYY, you stun it instantly iirc. If you get the chance, chop of his cannon. Also, his psycho crusher and jumping slash can be countered.

Last edited by Doopliss SWE; 04-16-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #8
KiNG Y0Y0

KiNG Y0Y0's Gamercard
I give up. I can't do it. 15 hours on the same level. I've only gotten to the GRAD once.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #9
Smozak7

The strategy in this video got me up to the GRAD consistently with barely any trouble:

Hope it helps you as much as it helped me.
Smozak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:38 AM   #10
DarkSephiroth

DarkSephiroth07's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Silver   Arcade Crazy - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNG Y0Y0 View Post
I give up. I can't do it. 15 hours on the same level. I've only gotten to the GRAD once.
If you have gotten to the GRAD once you can definitely do it again!

I hate to ask but what happened on the GRAD battle? You didn't use Sai?

Thanks to Rep for this sick picture!
My Guides: DFL, DW8, RE Code Veronica X Battle mode
, SSFIVAE, USFIV
My youtube
DarkSephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #11
Solid Gally

Yautja762's Gamercard
Even though Rising can be one huge pain in the ass at times, I truly believe that perseverance is the way forward almost every single time; including with this VR Mission.

As I said, it took me a million attempts and a lot of rage in order to finally complete this mission (and get the gold). However having done it now, I almost know that I could go back and complete it with a gold for a second time; after one or two attempts.

Keep the music and voice volume to zero and just give it a few tries every day. You probably don't realise it yet but your skill in Rising really is growing with every failed attempt. Don't give up!
Solid Gally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #12
danksch

danksch's Gamercard
Man, I'm with you there...still havent nailed it as well, got to GRAD a couple of times and failed due to stupidity and/or camera issues.

My big time tip for wave 3 is to line up yourself in a way that the Fenris range attacks hit the sledgehammer guys, it will kill/stun them instantly.
Don't try to kill them regularly, seriously, it takes too much time.

Anyone got a tip on the cannon attack of the Fenris? it seems I cant run away from it whatsoever, and every time it hits me I get in a loop where I cant escape from the shots anymore.
danksch is offline   Reply With Quote