PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Metal Gear Solid HD Collection > Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Subscribe    Donate

Old 02-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
Josh Benton

XV I Josh I VX's Gamercard
How to take dogtags without setting off alert?

Everytime i hold a guard up from behind and whiz round to his front so he shakes, he seems to put his hands down, shoot me and call for reinforcments, how do i keep my gun trained on him and move round to the front without him running away and setting off the alert?

I don't remember this being an issue on the PS2.

Cheers.
Josh.
Josh Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
Steve9213

steve9213's Gamercard
On the ps2 you held shoot lightly and it kept the gun up auto locked without firing if i remember right allowing you to move round to the front

Steve9213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
Josh Benton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve9213 View Post
On the ps2 you held shoot lightly and it kept the gun up auto locked without firing if i remember right allowing you to move round to the front
You did but on the xbox version the buttons are not pressure sensitive, so you have to completely holster your weapon to move.....
Old 02-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #4
Steve9213

steve9213's Gamercard
Oh dear :/ haven't played it yet on Xbox that sounds bad though

Steve9213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
Josh Benton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve9213 View Post
Oh dear :/ haven't played it yet on Xbox that sounds bad though
Yeah so far, i tell them to freeze from behind pop a tranq into their back run to the front and that seems to work, only problem is it gives me about 8 seconds for me to get them to shake and give me their tag before they fall asleep it works, but not when it comes to the ones you have to shoot in the arm/leg....

Has to be another, better way.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #6
o H i T M a N z

o H i T M a N z's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Once you have made the guy freeze you should not have to aim the gun at him, you can run around to stand in front of him, just make sure you still have your gun equipped ( in your hand ). If you have clicked RT and put the gun away this is why he fights back. Then you can aim the gun at his head to make him give up his dog tags, if he stops shaking just aim at a different part of his body, e.g. his arms and legs.
o H i T M a N z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #7
TVthePunisher
I'm hungry...FOR DAT ASS!

Send a message via AIM to TVthePunisher Send a message via MSN to TVthePunisher Send a message via Yahoo to TVthePunisher

TVthePunisher's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Subscriber - Bronze   Genre Competition - Second Place   Arcade Crazy - Silver   Donator - Level 1   2,500 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
Once you hold a person up from behind, they remain that way indefinitely. However if you move into their line of sight and you lower your weapon, they'll start to lower their arms. Never let them see you do that. Remember: hold someone up from behind, deal with any other guards in the area but don't move in front of that guy's eyesight.

Now...when you need to get this guy's dogtag, click in the left stick so your gun lowers and run in front of them quickly. DO NOT UNEQUIP YOUR GUN BECAUSE THEY'LL FREAK OUT AND SHOOT YOU. Lower your weapon by clicking in the left stick and once in front, quickly click in the stick again to pull out the weapon (you'll likely hear them say "freeze" again). From here rob them of the tag. Also you don't have to shoot the stubborn guards, I usually shoot to the left of them or something. On Extreme they are more picky...so they might need a kneecapping.

Yeah don't rely on pressure sensitive controls on the 360 version: CLICK IN THE LEFT STICK FOR ALL HOLD UP SITUATIONS! Will make everything a hell of a lot easier =) actually I kind of prefer it this way, I never accidentally squeeze off a round when I'm running around due to this.

TVthePunisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:16 PM   #8
Josh Benton

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVthePunisher View Post
Once you hold a person up from behind, they remain that way indefinitely. However if you move into their line of sight and you lower your weapon, they'll start to lower their arms. Never let them see you do that. Remember: hold someone up from behind, deal with any other guards in the area but don't move in front of that guy's eyesight.

Now...when you need to get this guy's dogtag, click in the left stick so your gun lowers and run in front of them quickly. DO NOT UNEQUIP YOUR GUN BECAUSE THEY'LL FREAK OUT AND SHOOT YOU. Lower your weapon by clicking in the left stick and once in front, quickly click in the stick again to pull out the weapon (you'll likely hear them say "freeze" again). From here rob them of the tag. Also you don't have to shoot the stubborn guards, I usually shoot to the left of them or something. On Extreme they are more picky...so they might need a kneecapping.

Yeah don't rely on pressure sensitive controls on the 360 version: CLICK IN THE LEFT STICK FOR ALL HOLD UP SITUATIONS! Will make everything a hell of a lot easier =) actually I kind of prefer it this way, I never accidentally squeeze off a round when I'm running around due to this.
Thanks so much, i didn't realise you could properly lower your weapon while aiming other than unequipping it, will try this tonight when i get home.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #9
BosmaniaK

Bosmaniak's Gamercard
pffff can't be arsed to complete the plant chapter 5 times. plus, extreme is a bitch
BosmaniaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:58 PM   #10
soastedsoldier

toastedsoldier's Gamercard
If you hold them up from behind by pressing X and keep hold of it, aiming in with RB is optional when behind, then press in the left anlogue stick to holster ur gun, run through them and then press and hold X again and it should aim at them, then just RB and make them jiggle baby....if anyone fancies any multiplayer action on peace walker add my gt : toastedsoldier
soastedsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #11
IxROCKAFELLAxI

IxROCKAFELLAxI's Gamercard
Hold X to point your gun and get the guard to freeze. Move the left stick in the direction you want to move, then hold A whilst holding X. You will move whilst aiming your gun. When your positioned in front of the guard you can take your thumb off the A button and proceed into first person view to get his tag.

The tricky bit is not to press A before you move because you will lie down. Just choose your direction of movement first.
IxROCKAFELLAxI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #12
gmcb007

McBirdie's Gamercard
You can also hit to punch which lowers your gun and lets you freely move round to the front without him going into alert.
gmcb007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:03 AM   #13
Prelude2disastr

Prelude2disastr's Gamercard
When you're aiming your weapon with X (3rd person) if you hold the Left Stick in a direction and hold A you'll continue to aim and be able to run.

Seriously, no one remembers that except me and Rockafella??
Prelude2disastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:40 AM   #14
VashPR

I VashPR I's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prelude2disastr View Post
When you're aiming your weapon with X (3rd person) if you hold the Left Stick in a direction and hold A you'll continue to aim and be able to run.

Seriously, no one remembers that except me and Rockafella??
An easier way if your having troubles is to hold the left bumper. same effect. just easier than holding in the stick and moving.

Hope this helps all
VashPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:58 AM   #15
DarkMellie

DarkMellie's Gamercard
iirc all you need to do is wound them.

It's also fun to shoot their radio, their leg and their main arm... then drop your gun. They'll try to call for help but realise it's broken, then they'll try to shoot you and drop their weapon, then they'll try to chase you and fall over.

Just got my copy today (finally released in Australia). Cannot wait to get home (even though I have to review Gotham City Impostors by wednesday!).

DarkMellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #16
JuSt BLaZe

BLAZE VII's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Diamond   5,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Gold   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMellie View Post
iirc all you need to do is wound them.
Or simply shoot above their heads "somewhere" if you're not good enough to shoot one of their body parts hehe. That should do the job.

1st worldwide who "officially" completed [FLASHBACK] a 100%!
JuSt BLaZe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #17
i NatrlKilla i

Killa x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Bronze   x360a Representer   1,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Sneak up behind someone, and hold to make them freeze. Then hold and and walk round the front. Once there, release and use to aim in first person. Never had an enemy lower his arms on me when doing this.

Black Ops Multiplayer Updates Here

i NatrlKilla i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #18
Grey Delta

Grey Delta's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Hold to hold them up, then while still holding , hold , allowing you to run while keeping your weapon aimed.

EDIT: Guy above me has it, I should really read whole thread before posting!

Grey Delta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #19
L Ducko

L Ducko's Gamercard
Just remember the LS is a button! It acts as a light square, and if you click it behind them you don't need to press x at all and you'll continue to point it at them while you run around them, but from what it sounds like you're taking too long to get in front of them... Try just going through them! Lol
L Ducko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #20
Tekuno Tiger

Tekuno Tiger's Gamercard
Can't you just use the left bumper to lock on as well?
Tekuno Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #21
I CR0W I

I CR0W I's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVthePunisher View Post
This doesn't work. They have eyes in the back of their heads.
DORITOS DASH OF DESTRUCTION

I AM GR8 @ GAEMS
I CR0W I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #22
Kivlov

Kivlov's Gamercard
Not sure why this topic exists.

Run behind a git, hit L3 with a weapon equipped, press it again and run around press it a third time aim at their head or balls, as soon as they start shaking press L3 for the 4th time while they jiggle the dogtag out run behind them, once behind them unequip the weapon and strangle the git, take the tag.

Also I found that enemies you need to kneecap, you can just shoot over their head or past them, if you dont want to risk killing them or possibly alerting nearby people etc.

Also the M9'ing everyone then using the coolant trick is always an easy way to get peoples tags if there are too many close together, though I rarely do this as I often dont need to.

It is sometimes easier to get a tag then just die if you get an alert so you can start over and you will still have the tag.

Though for some reason I can never get the scope or camera to work to show peoples names like it used to on PS2. I dont know why this is.
Kivlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:21 PM   #23
TVthePunisher
I'm hungry...FOR DAT ASS!

Send a message via AIM to TVthePunisher Send a message via MSN to TVthePunisher Send a message via Yahoo to TVthePunisher

TVthePunisher's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Subscriber - Bronze   Genre Competition - Second Place   Arcade Crazy - Silver   Donator - Level 1   2,500 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I CR0W I View Post
This doesn't work. They have eyes in the back of their heads.
If you bump into them maybe or they have one of those armored black vests on. It's just safest to tranq everyone then, if people are having such a hard time with it tranq-tranq-tranq. And if you DON'T have the M9, punch-punch-punch. If you're good enough you can punch them in the nutsack and they'll pass out from that.

The reason for all the tranqing and knocking out is due to other guards in the area, so you can snag their tags and then tranq them. Now say you tranq'd someone that you NEED the tag off of, all you have to do is A.) Spray their face with coolant (will wake them up faster each difficulty tier you raise) or B.) Set them up on some stairs where you can punch at their body, this will gradually wake them up.

When I was on the harder difficulties I had the Brown Wig and Stealth Camo, I only ever put on the Bandana when I needed to shoot something like a M9 round or even the Socom round. With the stealth camo on, it's simple as hell to get dogtags. Since they can't see you, lowering your gun doesn't cause an issue at all. But of course...they won't cough up the tag while you're wearing the camo...at least from what I remember.

If you're still having issues with this, I don't know what else I can tell you...really the dog tag achievement was simple as far as getting the tags is. It was really never an issue...the boss fights however are a different story on Extreme mode.

TVthePunisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:50 AM   #24
d0ct0rscarecr0w

d0ct0rscarecr0w's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
What I do that works every time is hold them up from behind, and then use the punch button to keep from shooting them. Quickly run in front of them and point the gun at their face.

As long as you are quick they won't call for help, if you take a long time to go around then you will get caught.

you can even run through them if you want and they will still hold their hands up.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #25
DavoK87

DJKDEE's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Benton View Post
Everytime i hold a guard up from behind and whiz round to his front so he shakes, he seems to put his hands down, shoot me and call for reinforcments, how do i keep my gun trained on him and move round to the front without him running away and setting off the alert?

I don't remember this being an issue on the PS2.

Cheers.
Josh.

This always happens to me too
DavoK87 is offline   Reply With Quote