PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Discussion Boards > Other Systems/Handhelds > Xbox > Xbox Live Indie Games
Subscribe    Donate

View Poll Results: Would you buy Indie Games with achievements?
Yes - I already buy Indie Games, but having achievements would be icing on the cake! 64 50.00%
Yes - I have not & will not buy Indie games until they have achievements. 37 28.91%
Yes - I can't wait to get easy achievements from all those apps! 'Press Start' FTW! 17 13.28%
No - Indie Games are not worth buying even if they had achievements. I'll stick to my other games! 4 3.13%
No - They won't have standard achievements or will be too small to mess with. Not worth my time! 2 1.56%
No - Having achievements would ruin the independent spirit of Indies Games! Keep them like they are! 4 3.13%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #31
Andreas_loel

mr fiskeh's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
The lack of achievements in indie games just show how microsoft neglect the underground gaming creators, the sales would probably increase with 1000% just because there are so many fucking scorewhores, which in the end is good for everyone because more funding = better games (unless miniature Activision shows up)

Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDoggson
Andreas_loel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:52 PM   #32
DarkReign2021
Banned User

DarkReign2021's Gamercard

As much as I would like Indie games to have achievements, this is a terrible idea in practice. This would have people purchasing games left and right just to boost their Gamerscore. And given how terrible most of the games are, this would making getting achievements either way too easy or glitchy and impossible to get.

To make matters worse, people would start releasing games called "Free GamerScrore" and the likes. Be a small game like iSpy or a stupid quiz. Answering the question right would result in a single achievement, granting you 100% and 200/200. Than gamers after the easy gamerpoints would start paying the measly 80 point charge and this guy that took 15 minutes is getting the money that the real developers should be getting for ideas like FortressCraft and Aardvark (Some 3D tetris game I found recently. Really fun.)

What needs to happen is any game that is actually of a high quality should be brought over to XBLA and MS can direct them on the usage of achievements toward said title.
DarkReign2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:12 PM   #33
lakche

rozamystica's Gamercard
It would be nice if Indie games had achievements, but I don't think they'll be adding that...

I have bought a lot of Indie games and I enjoy playing them. If they added achievements, the developers would have to update their games, and then I'd have to re-play them...

Plus I don't think Microsoft would put 200 gamer points for Indie games, probably something lower like 100 or 50.
lakche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:42 PM   #34
[Waggly Bean]

Waggly Bean's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign2021 View Post
As much as I would like Indie games to have achievements, this is a terrible idea in practice. This would have people purchasing games left and right just to boost their Gamerscore. And given how terrible most of the games are, this would making getting achievements either way too easy or glitchy and impossible to get.

To make matters worse, people would start releasing games called "Free GamerScrore" and the likes. Be a small game like iSpy or a stupid quiz. Answering the question right would result in a single achievement, granting you 100% and 200/200. Than gamers after the easy gamerpoints would start paying the measly 80 point charge...
Yep, but this is why they should all just have say 6 achievements that are all worth 0G. Even 0G achievements are still fun to get, but they won't "boost" gamerscore. I know some would complain at 0G achievements, but I think it'd be an ideal way forward for Indie Games, and I personally don't see an issue with zero pointers if the game is just fun. I really enjoyed playing through the entirety of Quake II and getting all 9 of the achievements in it, even though they were all zero pointers.

Also, if they did have achievements, they would obviously be put onto your gamercard - so that would be better exposure for the devs because it is essentially free advertising.

I think the problem is a lot of the good developers are moving away from Indie Games now because Microsoft are not giving them the support and backing that they could do (and probably should do!)

It's a real shame, because when you sift through all the crap on the service, there's some real gems in there!

Last edited by [Waggly Bean]; 06-11-2011 at 02:44 PM.
[Waggly Bean] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:34 PM   #35
BlackRob182

BlackRob183's Gamercard
I've only bought 1 game (Home Run Challenge, or whatever) but yea they can't add point achievements because of what DarkReign2021 said. The 0 point idea is kinda neat though, no points but at least gives you something to work for. I never thought of that lol
BlackRob182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:21 AM   #36
Purified666

Purified666's Gamercard
i would buy them but i cant (from belgium)
they are not for sale here (yet)
Purified666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:25 AM   #37
Coadster1

Coadster1 x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase x360a Representer   2,500 Posts   Word of Mouth   Road Map - Bronze   Submit - Gold
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Haven't played an Indie Game before, but some of them look pretty fun. It would nice to have achievements, would certainly get me to buy them.

Seriously 3.0 (4/17/12)
Unlocking Seriously 3.0 (Click)

1 - HELL Difficulty Mode Cleared. (9/3/12)
(Achievement to hit 100K)
Hitting 100,000 GamerScore (Click)

TrueAchievements
Coadster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:46 PM   #38
Dcon6393

dcon6393's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purified666 View Post
i would buy them but i cant (from belgium)
they are not for sale here (yet)
That is pretty dumb. All countries should have Indie Games, even if they are only in one language. Get a North American Account haha
Old 08-30-2011, 01:53 PM   #39
Sampson

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
I'd prefer them!!

"Everyone is entitled to their own sorrow, for the
heart has no metrics or form of measure. And all of
it... irreplaceable."

Thanks to Rajeanero for the excellent signature!
Sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:02 AM   #40
Hagane

Haganeh's Gamercard
I occasionally buy Indie games already (if they're recommended to me enough), but I guess I'd be more willing if there was a little extra incentive for cheevos.

Opinions are meant to be respected, but also scrutinized.
Hagane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:10 PM   #41
CHIRUNO99

chiruno99's Gamercard

It's just going to be more work for indie developers that they don't need, let alone people would easily exploit it for 80ms points for however many Gs they can give out. It'd also hurt the indie games line up even more than just clone city already does.

Leave them the way they are, and just enjoy them for clever clogs bringing you something totally different and fun. Then when they ever make it to XBLA expect some Gs on your toast.

Damn I'm so depressed.

Last edited by CHIRUNO99; 06-28-2013 at 08:13 PM.
CHIRUNO99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:10 PM   #42
MasterBubs82

MasterBubs's Gamercard
I don't buy indie games all that much anymore, but yeah, I'd think it'd be great if they did add achievements to them. I might be interested in buying indie games again if they did.
MasterBubs82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:29 AM   #43
Dristoid

Dristoid's Gamercard
I've never bought an indie game yet, if they had achievements I'd try some out for sure.

Dristoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:42 AM   #44
alpha17

alpha613's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   XBA Promoter
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I've never purchased an indie game, though if they had achievements I'd be more tempted to since they are usually cheaper than regular games
alpha17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:31 AM   #45
MabusScarab

Mabus Incarnate's Gamercard
Honestly this idea would help out indie game developers tremendously with sales. Even if they only permitted them to add 100-200 worth of achievement points I could see the sales doubling without question at a minimum.
MabusScarab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:58 PM   #46
CloudMir

CloudMir's Gamercard
They need achievements. If I bought a game without achievements, I'd feel like I was wasting my money and time.
CloudMir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #47
Skorpion XBA
さそり XBA

Skorpion XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 3   2,500 Posts   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 1   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Road Map - Gold   Green Thumb - Platinum   Staff Club - Tyger7   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   Achievement Guide - Silver
Total Awards: 34 (more» ...)
I've never bought an Indie game but I would for achievements. For the most part I have a huge backlog that I need to work through, plus games I've downloaded that I haven't even started yet.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:51 AM   #48
Andre16182

Andre16182's Gamercard
I chose the "Yes - I can't wait to get easy achievements from all those apps! 'Press Start' FTW!" option. It'll most likely never happen though.

Avatar & Signature Created By ESYLD
Andre16182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:54 AM   #49
Slaughter.
Wot r u casul??!??

Cpt Slaugh7er's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre16182 View Post
I chose the "Yes - I can't wait to get easy achievements from all those apps! 'Press Start' FTW!" option. It'll most likely never happen though.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:28 AM   #50
Emfulz

Send a message via MSN to Emfulz

EMFULZ's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Yes - I already buy Indie Games, but having achievements would be icing on the cake!

I haven't bought many, maybe around the 10 mark but having achievements would just add more value to amazing games. Support the indies!

Signature by Cpt Slaugh7er
Spoiler! (click here to reveal)
Emfulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:30 AM   #51
VitaminAmy

VitaminAmy's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Donator - Level 1   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Silver   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
If it's a quality fun game, sure.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:20 AM   #52
Hudson888

Huds0n888's Gamercard
A lot of indie games already have achievements though....

Having them or not, if its a good game I would still buy it.
Hudson888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:06 AM   #53
RyanDeicide

RyanDeicide's Gamercard
I think everyone would. Cheap games + extra gamerscore = huge win
RyanDeicide is offline   Reply With Quote