Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Community and Events > Ambassadors
Subscribe    Donate

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 11:41 PM   #31
Spade.
Over Now

Send a message via Skype™ to Spade.

Jacob XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Donator - Level 2   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff Club - Minty   Subscriber - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   Micro Guide - Bronze   Ambassador 1x1 Competition - Second Place
Total Awards: 15 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmona25 View Post
Losers deserve NOTHING. I got bumped in the first round, I suck. We don't need to make everyone happy. You want an award, win a DAMM tournament. This is what is wrong with our society. We want to make everyone feel special...well not everyone is special.
Completely agree. I mean, a nice runner-up award for say 4th and 5th might be reasonable, but not a partcipation ribbon.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:45 PM   #32
UnarmedReaper07

UnarmedReaper07's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   1,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Silver   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   XBA Promoter
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade. View Post
Completely agree. I mean, a nice runner-up award for say 4th and 5th might be reasonable, but not a partcipation ribbon.

A bit of a better solution I suppose.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:07 AM   #33
dakisbac

Send a message via Skype™ to dakisbac

Mister Dak's Gamercard

Awards Showcase VGO Gold Medal   Achievement Guide - Silver   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   Community Gaming - Silver   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Minty   Ambassador 1x1 Competition - Third Place   Staff Club - dakisbac   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Staff Club - AOS Puck
Total Awards: 22 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmona25 View Post
Losers deserve NOTHING. I got bumped in the first round, I suck. We don't need to make everyone happy. You want an award, win a DAMM tournament. This is what is wrong with our society. We want to make everyone feel special...well not everyone is special.
You could have found a nicer way to say it lol, but I agree.

This whole discussion kind of reminds me of the finale of one of the early seasons of The Apprentice. Wasn't able to find the actual clip, but here's an interview with the winner after.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:38 AM   #34
kaleido42
CET

Send a message via Skype™ to kaleido42

kaleido42's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - kaleido42   Community Gaming - Gold   Submit - Diamond   Donator - Level 5   Staff - Community and Events Team   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 2   2,500 Posts   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 1   CABS Beta Tester   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Subscriber - Platinum
Total Awards: 18 (more» ...)
Feedback...

Okay, I honestly think this went quite well. I do agree with the people that said the rules should have been set in stone better before it started, but given that the tournament was co-run by two different people with no former experience I certainly didn't expect it to run at the same level of perfection as the tournaments Creech has run. Going forward they should only get better .

As for all this discussion about participation awards, I'm going to have to jump on the "no bandwagon". If there was one award for entering any competition, and the site competitions were more open, then I might like it a bit more. As of the last few years though the majority of site competitions have been only open to subscribers/representers and others higher up on the food chain. Until such time that more competitions were opened up to the general community, a participation award would seem like they're throwing another freebie to the guys that have everything.

Lastly, I'm seeing a lot of complaints that people had nothing to do once they'd been eliminated. I was eliminated in the first round. I still kept tabs on how the tournament was progressing, but I moved on, played games, kept busy. I hear complaints all the time of people's massive backlogs, even those without massive backlogs still have games to play, no one here will have 100%'d every game they own. No idea why so many claimed they had nothing to do but sit on their hands until the next tournament... Personally I thought the elimination style was terrific. It got most of the losers out early and allowed us to move on.

Thanks for the sig Rajeanero!
Old 05-01-2013, 01:49 AM   #35
Jakez123
Steins;Jake

Jakez123's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Free Agents - First Place   Community Gaming - Bronze   RPG!!! Challenge Club - Tier 3   Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   2,500 Posts   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Over Achiever - Gold   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 1   Three Lives Remaining - Winner
Total Awards: 19 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleido42 View Post
Feedback...

Lastly, I'm seeing a lot of complaints that people had nothing to do once they'd been eliminated. I was eliminated in the first round. I still kept tabs on how the tournament was progressing, but I moved on, played games, kept busy. I hear complaints all the time of people's massive backlogs, even those without massive backlogs still have games to play, no one here will have 100%'d every game they own. No idea why so many claimed they had nothing to do but sit on their hands until the next tournament... Personally I thought the elimination style was terrific. It got most of the losers out early and allowed us to move on.
Yes, I agree. Although I've been to several real life tournaments myself, and what they normally do is side events. For example those who "drop-out" or get eliminated early can enter a side-event. But then again, this is only for real life tourneys so it is easy to manage. I guess we couldn't implement that here with everything being forum based.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #36
amacteur
In the sky

Send a message via Skype™ to amacteur

amacteur's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 2   Staff Club - amacteur   Staff - Graphics Team   Community Gaming - Silver   Family Corner Challenge Club - Tier 1   CABS Beta Tester   GRID 2 Award   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Micro Guide - Bronze   Subscriber - Bronze   Staff Club - Minty   Submit - Diamond
Total Awards: 15 (more» ...)
Why not implementing groups for the next tournament?

We can create 4 groups of 8 people where everybody plays against each other. 2 points for a win, 1 point for a loss. Then, the first 2 people of each group are qualified for quarter finals, then semi finals...

Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #37
AOS Puck

AOS Puck's Gamercard

Awards Showcase CABS Beta Tester   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   2,500 Posts   Staff/Subscriber Last Man Standing - Third Place   Staff Club - DeekBoy   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Staff Club - AOS Puck   XBA Promoter   Arcade Crazy - Silver   Over Achiever - Silver
Total Awards: 16 (more» ...)
I didn't have time to read the whole thread so I apologize if this has already been brought up.

I didn't participate in this tournament but looking from the outside, it looked like people weren't organized and readily available to play. On multiple occasions that I saw, the rounds had to be extended in order to get matches complete. I know time zones are an issue but if people want a head to head tournament, they need to have a wider range of availabilities, which is why I didn't take part.

As for "participation awards", I've never been someone who believes that everyone deserves a trophy. Playing sports when I was little and getting trophies/ribbons/etc. when my team was awful felt like a slap in the face. "Hey kid, I know your team sucked so we got you this piece of plastic, don't you feel special now?"

Read them.... apply them.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #38
KillerBEA
Anger Issues

Send a message via Skype™ to KillerBEA

KillerBEA XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Platinum   Donator - Level 2   Staff Club - Madhatters13   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 2   Fight Club Challenge Club - Tier 1   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - KillerBEA   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 1   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)
Total Awards: 27 (more» ...)
For a head to head tournament of this style I think it went fine. I went out 2nd round to Doug, someone who I barely stood a chance against under most circumstances. Understanding that you be dealt a bad hand is just part of entering competitions. No competitions will be completely fair, but this tournament did well considering.

Maybe a non bracket tournament would work better. I think it was mentioned earlier but pair people off into a group of 3 or 4 and have them play each other. Winner of a match gets 3 points, losers get 1 or something to that affect. Person with the most points advances from the group and is put in another group of people who advanced out of their first group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOS Puck View Post
As for "participation awards", I've never been someone who believes that everyone deserves a trophy. Playing sports when I was little and getting trophies/ribbons/etc. when my team was awful felt like a slap in the face. "Hey kid, I know your team sucked so we got you this piece of plastic, don't you feel special now?"
I agree, I did sports as kid and I never saw the point in a participation award. Its just a constant reminder of doing horrible that season. Which is why I never display any of my sports trophies, constant reminder of past failures.

I want these tournaments to stay around (they're fun), so I am going to participate as much as I can. Even if my schedule becomes hectic like I predict it will, I will still try and be here to partake. Its a good way to meet other members of the community outside of the forum.

Last edited by KillerBEA; 05-02-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #39
Veedrock

Veedrock's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Micro Guide - Bronze   Genre Competition - First Place   2,500 Posts   Donator - Level 1   XBA Promoter
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOS Puck View Post
I didn't participate in this tournament but looking from the outside, it looked like people weren't organized and readily available to play. On multiple occasions that I saw, the rounds had to be extended in order to get matches complete. I know time zones are an issue but if people want a head to head tournament, they need to have a wider range of availabilities, which is why I didn't take part.
I was actually really surprised at the short deadlines for each round, 4-5 days is not a lot of time and there's a lot that can conflict in such a small window. The first round was Monday to Friday for example, and those are common days where people have work and school. They could have been legitimately occupied all 5 days, but been shanked because of the awkward deadline.

Now I agree that if you're entering you should be as available as possible, and obviously the two opponents are going to have their own schedules that they'll have to work out, but the small window was a serious hindrance.

You know what I thought was silly? Giving participants only 4 days to set up and play their match, but then the organizers needed 2 days to put up the next round. The organizers didn't have to arrange anything with another person, just a simple bracket update, but they gave themselves excessive prep time just so they could update at their convenience. Those extra days could have easily gone to making rounds longer. They need to be just as available as participants, especially considering they know when they need to be available (the end of the round).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creech View Post
As a site, we don't support calling it "xbone" as that was a name that was used to refer to the system in a negative light. Since the site exists to support the system, being deliberately negative towards it seems counter productive.

tl;dr - Call it the Xbox One or X1.

Last edited by Veedrock; 05-02-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:07 AM   #40
Creech
Administrator

Send a message via Skype™ to Creech

Just Creech's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff - Administrator   Thought, Precision and Planning Club - Tier 2   Thought, Precision and Planning Club - Tier 1   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 3   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Andrew x360a   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 2   Micro Guide - Gold   Achievement Guide - Emerald   Road Map - Emerald   CABS Beta Tester   Artist of the Month
Total Awards: 40 (more» ...)
Okay, so this thread got a little out of hand.

The idea is to give feedback about how to improve future Ambassador tournaments. I just deleted 40 posts of crap, bitching, personal attacks, and basic unacceptable behavior.

If you have constructive comments about how to make a future tournament better, feel free to post. Other than that, there is no need to reply to this thread.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

Awake, Alert, & Enthusiastic!
The Silicon Rule: If the product is free, then you are the product.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:06 AM   #41
Corrupt.
Damn you, Walt Whitman!

Corrupt XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Thought, Precision and Planning Club - Tier 1   The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   Off to the Races Challenge Club - Tier 1   Achievement Guide - Emerald   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 2   Staff - Guide Team   Green Thumb - Gold   Staff Club - TemporalWizard
Total Awards: 45 (more» ...)
Good call Creech, fair enough. I tried to be constructive in my posts but apologies if I said anything out of line.

Hopefully we can all get back/stay on topic now.

We have to view this tournament as a beta, and how often is a beta perfect? For the best part this has been a well run tournament, the only issue seems to have been disagreements between games played which is something to expect in a tournament of this type.

I am exited to see what this evolves to and want to thank Jappe and Yunder for running it
Old 05-03-2013, 01:24 AM   #42
Spanish Assault

Send a message via Skype™ to Spanish Assault

Spanish Assault's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Gold   Micro Guide - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   10,000 posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
I still think that having tournaments by game type would be fun. A racing tournament, a sports one, etc...

"It is done then. Your schemes, like you, are put to rest." - Alta´r Ibn La-Ahad
Old 06-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #43
Grifter Reborn

Send a message via Skype™ to Grifter Reborn

Grifter x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Emerald   CABS Beta Tester   Over Achiever - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   x360a Representer   Road Map - Bronze   A+ Thread Award
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Okay, in an attempt to not derail (and overload) the discussion in the other thread:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/f...d.php?t=487361

I'd like to address the "no feedback" mentioned. For starters, Jappe has military obligations to fulfill and is why he's on hiatus. Also, Yunder is out of pocket (no internet) and has several site obligations to keep up, so he also needs some understanding.

That said, expect feedback when they're available again on all of the following:
-Rules made more clearly
-possible adding or changing rules
-alternate tourney ideas/ completely different tourney layout
-season/playoff layout?
-1 thread for scores, 1 for discussion

Anything else?

Change is inevitable.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:57 AM   #44
Aceman417

Aceman417's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quick question, say I was interested in organising a 1v1 or teams tournament, how would I go about it?
Old 06-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #45
Grifter Reborn

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Emerald   CABS Beta Tester   Over Achiever - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   x360a Representer   Road Map - Bronze   A+ Thread Award
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman417 View Post
Quick question, say I was interested in organising a 1v1 or teams tournament, how would I go about it?
All tourneys need staff approval, so you'd need to submit your ideas up the food chain.

Change is inevitable.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:57 AM   #46
Jakez123
Steins;Jake

Jakez123's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Free Agents - First Place   Community Gaming - Bronze   RPG!!! Challenge Club - Tier 3   Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   2,500 Posts   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Over Achiever - Gold   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 1   Three Lives Remaining - Winner
Total Awards: 19 (more» ...)
When will the next ambassador tourney be announced?
Old 07-01-2013, 12:18 PM   #47
Veedrock

Veedrock's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Micro Guide - Bronze   Genre Competition - First Place   2,500 Posts   Donator - Level 1   XBA Promoter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakez123 View Post
When will the next ambassador tourney be announced?
With any luck, never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creech View Post
As a site, we don't support calling it "xbone" as that was a name that was used to refer to the system in a negative light. Since the site exists to support the system, being deliberately negative towards it seems counter productive.

tl;dr - Call it the Xbox One or X1.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #48
Grifter Reborn

There's a couple of projects in the works for the Ambassador program, so we will get those finished first before attempting another tourney. Long story short, no ETA on when the next tourney will be.

Change is inevitable.

Closed Thread