Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Discussion Boards > Xbox One
Subscribe    Donate

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 05:30 AM   #61
Merch

GoodCoffeeJoey's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Micro Guide - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Charging their customers a premium so adverisers can target them better. MS have really outdone themselves this time. Explains why they have made a peripheral with such limited gaming application a centrepiece of their console strategy though.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:34 AM   #62
xhunterrrr

Hunter XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Representer   Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   5,000 Posts   x360a Representer
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merch View Post
Charging their customers a premium so adverisers can target them better. MS have really outdone themselves this time. Explains why they have made a peripheral with such limited gaming application a centrepiece of their console strategy though.
Trollololol. Seriously? Not even close.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:36 AM   #63
Deadsea 18

Deadsea 1993's Gamercard
One Kinect Mandatory ?

Why Microsoft because everyone lost intrest in Kinect on 360 after year 1 and your precious sales went downhill. SO to recoup revinue you are making ONE mandatory for the lil Wii gimick that sucked.

If Kinect is mandatory for ONE I'm not ever buying a ONE

Check out my alternative rock music. If you like it spread the word it would really help me out.

https://soundcloud.com/soundwasteland
Old 07-06-2013, 05:37 AM   #64
Gackt
Banned User

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Gackt   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Gold   SOTF Winner   GSL 8 Winners   The Helping Hand   Bright Idea   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze   Artist of the Month
Total Awards: 15 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadsea 18 View Post
One Kinect Mandatory ?

Why Microsoft because everyone lost intrest in Kinect on 360 after year 1 and your precious sales went downhill. SO to recoup revinue you are making ONE mandatory for the lil Wii gimick that sucked.

If Kinect is mandatory for ONE I'm not ever buying a ONE
It's mandatory. But vastly improved over the original. You don't HAVE to use it...but it's a part of the hardware now...the console doesn't function without it.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:37 AM   #65
Merch

GoodCoffeeJoey's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Micro Guide - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhunterrrr View Post
Trollololol. Seriously? Not even close.
That would explain why there are so many upcoming games that make good use of it. Oh wait lol.

Last edited by Merch; 07-06-2013 at 05:40 AM.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:47 AM   #66
xhunterrrr

Hunter XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Representer   Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   5,000 Posts   x360a Representer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merch View Post
That would explain why there are so many upcoming games that make good use of it. Oh wait lol.
Except for all the ones that do feature some sort of Kinect integration...
Old 07-06-2013, 05:51 AM   #67
Deadsea 18

Deadsea 1993's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gackt View Post
It's mandatory. But vastly improved over the original. You don't HAVE to use it...but it's a part of the hardware now...the console doesn't function without it.

Oh ok thats good news. As long as its included with the console then Im ok with it. Glad I can stiick with my trusty controller.

Check out my alternative rock music. If you like it spread the word it would really help me out.

Old 07-06-2013, 05:57 AM   #68
DarkReign2021
Banned User

DarkReign2021's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
My interest in use of the Kinect remains piqued so long as Project Spark remains prominent and voice commands are effective enough that I can move around the dashboard without actually having to work through it.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:13 AM   #69
Darth Grif55

Club Deadpool's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   Staff Club - * Clueless *   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
I don't see why people give a shit about ads. Just fucking ignore them

Sig by Spazaz Man
Old 07-06-2013, 06:19 AM   #70
Darth VeX

Darth VeX's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Grif55 View Post
Exactly.

I do the same thing with TV ads, billboards, magazine ads, radio ads, etc.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:27 AM   #71
Vampire Amaya

Vampire Amaya's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth VeX View Post
Exactly.

I do the same thing with TV ads, billboards, magazine ads, radio ads, etc.
Ads on TV and radio are different, as they can't be avoided. The main problem people seem to be having is that they find it hard to ignore a small box amongst 10 other small boxes. I get that the space could be used for something else, and unavoidable ads are annoying, but I don't see how it can be this annoying to see a small box that you can just ignore.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:31 AM   #72
JeremyVersion1

JeremyVersion1's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Grif55 View Post
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampire Amaya View Post
Ads on TV and radio are different, as they can't be avoided.
1. Change the station/channel.
2. Listen to CDs.
3. Watch DVDs.
4. Netflix.

Thanks to the great Cpt Slaughter for the VGCE Show Logo!

Old 07-06-2013, 06:36 AM   #73
PenderPowguin

PenderPowguin's Gamercard

For me, it's not the presence of ads that is the issue. It's the idea that the Kinect is possibly designed with the idea of selling outside companies personal information, i.e. whatever the hell I'm enjoying in the comfort in my living room, in order to cater towards a personalized ad scheme directed at me and my own.

"MS will not use any information gathered from the Kinect without your knowing so."

Yeah, I get it. Steps in a dangerous direction, no matter how much anyone wishes otherwise. No matter how much one can downplay the idea. No matter how many other devices that can be compared as playing similar cards. The fact of the matter is, if it holds any bearing, then it's, again, a step in a dangerous direction. Mark thy words.

"Are you saying we shouldn't hope?"

"I'm saying we should remove the carrot and walk forward with our eyes open!”
- Raistlin Majere

Major props to Rajeanero for this sexy sig!
Old 07-06-2013, 06:41 AM   #74
Deadsea 18

Deadsea 1993's Gamercard
Quote:
Ads on TV and radio are different, as they can't be avoided. The main problem people seem to be having is that they find it hard to ignore a small box amongst 10 other small boxes. I get that the space could be used for something else, and unavoidable ads are annoying, but I don't see how it can be this annoying to see a small box that you can just ignore.
I know. Radio ads are pointless. I just ignore the ads they don't bother me I don't bother them.

When I turn on my 360 I'm immediatly excited to look through my vast collection to see what game gets the honor to be played by my magic fingers.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:58 AM   #75
Vampire Amaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyVersion1 View Post
1. Change the station/channel.
2. Listen to CDs.
3. Watch DVDs.
4. Netflix.
Most ads are mid show, so changing the channel is only effective for like 2 minutes and serves no purpose. Besides, this still makes them unavoidable.
Listening to a CD means you're not listening to the radio, it's like saying if you want to avoid ads on the Xbox's dashboard, go play a different console.
Same goes for watching DVD's and the use of Netflix or any other streaming service.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:04 AM   #76
JeremyVersion1

JeremyVersion1's Gamercard

Quote:
Most ads are mid show, so changing the channel is only effective for like 2 minutes and serves no purpose. Besides, this still makes them unavoidable.

You could DVR them and fast forward through the commercials.

Quote:
Listening to a CD means you're not listening to the radio,

What's the difference between the CD and the radio? Oh right, no commercials on CD.

Quote:
it's like saying if you want to avoid ads on the Xbox's dashboard, go play a different console.
Or you could pick a single player game and play the console offline.

Quote:
Same goes for watching DVD's and the use of Netflix or any other streaming service.

I wanna watch The Walking Dead but avoid the commercials....so I watch it on Netflix.

So bascially....you're completely wrong and yes, all commercials and ads can be avoided. Thanks for playing, better luck next time.

Thanks to the great Cpt Slaughter for the VGCE Show Logo!

Old 07-06-2013, 07:16 AM   #77
Vampire Amaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyVersion1 View Post

You could DVR them and fast forward through the commercials.

What's the difference between the CD and the radio? Oh right, no commercials on CD.
Or you could pick a single player game and play the console offline.
I wanna watch The Walking Dead but avoid the commercials....so I watch it on Netflix.

So bascially....you're completely wrong and yes, all commercials and ads can be avoided. Thanks for pla
ying, better luck next time.
Aha, yeah.. Nice try.

If you record a show then fast forward through the ads you still have to sit there fast forwarding through the ads, which exist, and are there, unavoidable.. You're just sitting there for a bit less time to skip through them.

No commercials on the CD, but the point was that RADIO has unavoidable ads. A CD is not radio.

So, basically, to avoid that little, apparently super annoying box on the dashboard you should completely disconnect your console and play a SP game offline? Yeah, great fix.

Again, the original point was that TV has unavoidable ads, watching something from a different source doesn't change that.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:53 AM   #78
lifeexpectancy

LifeExpectancy's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign2021 View Post

Nevertheless, I feel as though having numbers to work with always paints a better picture. I was actually sitting there counting tiles on the dashboard as I typed that. That's when it really hit me that I only use maybe 4 buttons on the whole dashboard.
It definitely wasn't sarcasm. I can't stand how fucking cluttered and useless the dashboard has become. You spoke my thoughts to the letter. I don't care if ALL the tiles are gaming related (which they aren't. I'm looking at you UFC ads). I don't need to be spoon fed content. I'm perfectly capable of navigating the marketplace (even though it is more cumbersome than ever before because of micro transactions pushing relevant content off of page 1 often). I don't need "quick access" tiles for content I'm capable of finding on my own, let alone content I don't want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opiate42 View Post
Don't take away our ability to test drive the cheese!
Old 07-06-2013, 07:56 AM   #79
Veedrock

Veedrock's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Micro Guide - Bronze   Genre Competition - First Place   Subscriber - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Donator - Level 1   XBA Promoter
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
Quit bitching about Kinect on Xbox and think about using it on your PC instead.

*drool*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creech View Post
As a site, we don't support calling it "xbone" as that was a name that was used to refer to the system in a negative light. Since the site exists to support the system, being deliberately negative towards it seems counter productive.

tl;dr - Call it the Xbox One or X1.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:00 AM   #80
Kaiyo

KaiyoOrganiz000's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
The last straw for me to just to get PS4 first then X1.

Twitter - Raptr - Youtube
Old 07-06-2013, 08:18 AM   #81
Crimson Ridley

Awards Showcase Subscriber - Bronze   Staff Club - DEG23   Over Achiever - Platinum   Staff Club - dakisbac   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
The thing I find very weird is that Microsoft felt the need to do an interview containing a lot of information about advertising, because I'm sure a lot of people were interested in how that's all going to be integrated in to the new system...

Advertisements don't bother me as such, because they don't get in the way (unlike on a website without AdBlock installed, eh, x360a?). However, I'm quite a neat person and find it slightly irritating having a load of different moving images that don't fit together all plonked on to the dashboard. It doesn't bother me too much, but sometimes I wish they weren't there.

In regards to the Kinect being able to tailor advertisements to you based on your activities, this kind of stuff has been happening for years. We just live in a very paranoid society that has only gotten worse in recent years. The media helps us fuel our paranoia to the point where we all feel vindicated and violated by our governments, major companies, and possibly even our employers. The usage of Kinect is just the same as a company like Coca-Cola using sales percentages to see how well their product is doing in other countries, and tailoring their advertisements around it to maximise performance. It's just the same as you walking around in a t-shirt of a band you love, or a brand you enjoy promoting it to the town you live in even if you don't realise it.

We all advertise in one way or another. It's just a part of our everyday lives, and something impossible to avoid. Does it get annoying? Of course it does, and going back to an older console that has no adverts feels nice, but it doesn't truly mean your experience is any better, as at the end of the day it's the games you came to play on your system that matters. There are adverts in games, but there always has been, they just haven't been made as prominent as they are now.

The gaming industry is as big (if not bigger) than the movie and music industry, and we're faced with the same strategy that is utilised in both of those (make more money off of something that is popular and is making a lot of money). Where better to maximise sales than a place where millions of people are actively involved? When you go to the cinema, you have about 10-20 minutes of adverts before the film starts. Many of you arrange your arrival to coincide with the end of them, but a lot of you will sit through them all, and even find new films you previously held no interest in suddenly appear on your radar.

As long as the adverts don't get in the way of gaming, and don't ruin the experience (the 360's dashboard takes ages to load, but that could be due to a mixtures of adverts and the buttons we actually use) you're having when booting up the system, I don't see why we need to complain so much.

The Kinect is mandatory, but can be turned off. This simple sentence seems to elude so many people that it's practically infuriating. This is a sentence that should instantly destroy many of your conceived notions of privacy invasion, and that's why I can't understand why people are not paying more attention to it. Are you choosing to ignore it because you need to complain, or is your paranoia telling you that because it's still plugged in and using a small amount of power that it's not quite disabled?

There has been more than enough public beatings of the Xbox One that it's become customary to throw rocks at it as it passes in the street. I feel that we're just looking for excuses now to continue these lashings. When will this forum stop being foremost a witch hunt and primarily a celebration of a new console? Though I have my reservations about the console, I'm interested in learning about what I may find enjoyable about the console more than what I may dislike. I'd like to see everything before I write it off again (I have been guilty of passing judgement early in previous weeks).
Old 07-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #82
EarthFool

KodoSoup's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gackt View Post
This is the annoying part of it. You don't have to use it, but it's mandatory, because you can pause the kinect but you can't shut it down or unplug from the x1. It's still being used to run the console, so you're still forced to use it somehow. If I don't have to use a thing, I should be able to remove that thing, which is not going to happen, making the "you don't have to use it" sentence not entirely correct. And apparently, part of the reason the kinect needs to stay on is to "improve the ads experience", which makes the situation even more annoying.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:40 AM   #83
AceBD

Whiskey0TR's Gamercard
This article makes me lol. Hellllllllooooooo Sony! No Kinect spy shit watching me Fuck on my couch, no thank you.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:10 AM   #84
Kaiyo

KaiyoOrganiz000's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Fat guy with ton of food plays Xbox One game - Xbox One Kinect "scans surroundings of fat guy" while fat guy is playing.
Fat guy finishs playing game then goes to dashboard and first thing he sees is ads for working out, getting slim and cleaning products.
Something that will happen due to what I see on that interview.

Twitter - Raptr - Youtube
Old 07-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #85
VonThronstahl

Throni360's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Gold   Submit - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver   Arcade Crazy - Silver   Over Achiever - Silver
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiyo View Post
first thing he sees is ads for working out, getting slim and cleaning products.
He would see Mountain Dew, Cheetos and the Pizza Hut app.
Bejeweled Live, Crash Time 4: The Syndicate & 5: Undercover, Cro-Mag Rally, Centipede, Hunter's Trophy 2: America & Australia, SEGA Rally Online Arcade, Toy Soldiers: Boot Camp and Victorious: Time to Shine.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #86
General Boredom

general boredom's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Submit - Bronze

If Microsoft wants to watch me play video games in my underwear, have at it.

No, I am NOT the AVGN!
Old 07-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #87
DaveBodom

dave bodom's Gamercard
I got over the kinect thing, i know i wont use it, the only thing im slightly not getting though is if it isnt being used to watch, spy, whatever you want to call it by Microsoft, how are they able to gain advertising information about whats in the room? Like, if its there to improve your adverts from the products in the environment.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #88
xhunterrrr

Hunter XBA's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBodom View Post
I got over the kinect thing, i know i wont use it, the only thing im slightly not getting though is if it isnt being used to watch, spy, whatever you want to call it by Microsoft, how are they able to gain advertising information about whats in the room? Like, if its there to improve your adverts from the products in the environment.
IF that is true, it doesn't send information specific about you and what you are doing. IF it is true, it might recognize that you always have a massive bottle of Coke in your room and send you ads based on that. IF this is true, it won't see you scratching your balls and suggest GoldBond.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #89
ZombieFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhunterrrr View Post
IF that is true, it doesn't send information specific about you and what you are doing. IF it is true, it might recognize that you always have a massive bottle of Coke in your room and send you ads based on that. IF this is true, it won't see you scratching your balls and suggest GoldBond.
Do you work for Microsoft? Just wondering how you can be certain

Full credit goes to Gackt!
Old 07-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #90
xhunterrrr

Hunter XBA's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieFan View Post
Do you work for Microsoft? Just wondering how you can be certain
I never said anything was certain, but whatever.