PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Splinter Cell: Blacklist
Subscribe    Donate

Old 06-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
JPEC83

JPEC83's Gamercard
Is a new VO a deal breaker for anyone?

For me, I have to pretty much say: YES!

He has such a distinctive voice and an older Sam Fisher just doesn't seem right with the new VO. It is just completely wrong and I would be more interested if they just started a new character.

It makes sense for Sam to retire, especially after the last two games.

I'll keep following it and I'll certainly give any demo that comes along a try, but so far I am really disappointed with the decision to change the VO.
JPEC83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
Darthgamer138

Darthgamer138's Gamercard
Absolutely. Michael Ironside and James McCaffrey (Max Payne) are THE voice actors that I think most MKAE the games for me. What a dumb decision.
Darthgamer138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
DarkReign2021
Banned User

DarkReign2021's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I tend to agree. I personally think after the events of the last two that Sam Fisher would want absolutely nothing to do with Third Echelon. He lost his daughter and discovered she's alive after all the hell he was put through and instead of being with her he goes on another mission? Not bloody likely.

Archer and Kesler were proof that that are other agents just as capable as Sam, so I don't see why they can't just give us the next great character. Michael Ironside acknowledged that Sam Fisher is finished by not reprising the role, so Montreal needs to as well.

Personally, I'm willing to bet if the response is negative enough they'll do it. We all saw how they completely changed the other game after the response to hobo sam, so I bet they'd be willing to do it again. Time to put on the thinking caps and come up with a new character (or we could play as Grimsdottir. Wouldn't mind having a nice ass to look at while I'm stuck hiding in a dark corner. lol)
DarkReign2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
Burnout x360a

M1KE 08's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   Submit - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   5,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
I haven't been this interested in a Splinter Cell game since Chaos Theory so it's doing something right. Honestly I didn't notice the change until the comments pointed it out.

^ By Xerofox, thanks!
Twitter lSteam

Burnout x360a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:11 PM   #5
Veedrock

Veedrock's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Micro Guide - Bronze   Genre Competition - First Place   2,500 Posts   Donator - Level 1   XBA Promoter
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
After reading the reasoning behind it, I'm willing to give it a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creech View Post
As a site, we don't support calling it "xbone" as that was a name that was used to refer to the system in a negative light. Since the site exists to support the system, being deliberately negative towards it seems counter productive.

tl;dr - Call it the Xbox One or X1.
Veedrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #6
Rapturous Rich

Rapturous Rich's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedrock View Post
After reading the reasoning behind it, I'm willing to give it a chance.
This.

Although Ironside gave Fisher more depth and development, made him less shallow and added his own dry humour to him as well as those little nuances that really made him and Fisher one and the same, I can understand the choice made by Ubi - though why they couldn't just have one guy do the mo-cap work with Ironside still lending his voice is beyond me. Or why couldn't they just have Fisher in charge of 3rd (4th?) Echelon, never seen but only heard, giving orders to a new splinter cell agent that this new guy could have played?

It's no deal breaker for me, I love Splinter Cell too much to be as stupid as to boycott it or whatever bullshit "hardcore" fans will do, though I sure will miss Ironside's unmistakable voice.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:40 PM   #7
Hurricane Of 87

Hurricane Of 87's Gamercard
I'm more interested in an Amon Tobin soundtrack than a Michael Ironside voiceover.
But then again ISAM was a pile of poo, like his spin on dubstep than managed to be just as awful.
Hurricane Of 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #8
DropDeadArtemus

DropDeadArtemus's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Although Ironside has given us the voice of Sam for years, I'm willing to give the new guy a shot. I understand why the change is happening. It won't affect my love for the game.

DropDeadArtemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:44 AM   #9
DEG23
Второй акт

DEG23 x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Silver   Staff Club - DEG23   Donator - Level 5   CABS Beta Tester   Staff - Moderator   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff Club - Rajeanero   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   Staff Club - TemporalWizard   Staff Club - Minty   Staff Club - Nozza x360a
Total Awards: 23 (more» ...)
If Splinter Cell was still like the original game than yes maybe a new VO actor would be unwelcome, but the franchise has changed so much that i honestly don't care. I'm just hoping there will be more stealth in this one than there was in Conviction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign2021 View Post
Archer and Kesler were proof that that are other agents just as capable as Sam, so I don't see why they can't just give us the next great character. Michael Ironside acknowledged that Sam Fisher is finished by not reprising the role, so Montreal needs to as well.
Sam Fisher is Splinter Cell, a new character would put a dent in the series, in the same way that replacing James Bond with a new MI6 agent would ruin the bond franchise.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:46 AM   #10
HTownBoi

HTownBoi's Gamercard
It's not a deal breaker, but it definitely has me on the ropes about the game.
HTownBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:46 AM   #11
OceanH

Ocean H's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Bronze   1,000 Posts
During Microsoft Press conference, I thought that with the new "younger" voice and Sam looking kinda younger too that it was a prequel to the first game set during the 1983 Beirut incident.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #12
Rapturous Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanH View Post
[. . .] a prequel to the first game set during the 1983 Beirut incident.
Highly unlikely.
- Sam says "Welcome to Fourth Echelon", obviously pointing at a progression from Third Echelon.
- Patricia Caldwell is shown as the president - she was in office during the events of Conviction after succeeding David Bowers from the previous games so we can safely assume that Blacklist is either the very same administration or she has since been re-elected.
- If it were a prequel then Lambert, not Grimsdottir, would be overseeing operations and we only hear Grim in the gameplay footage we have seen.
- Victor Coste, Sam's estranged friend from Iraq that he met up with in Conviction for assistance, may also be present providing sniper overwatch - since there was no previous mention of him in earlier games we can again assume that after helping Sam clear house of Tom Reed and his other conspirators in Conviction that he was then officially inducted into Third Echelon with Sam and Grim running it.

Although, this is all assumption of course.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:37 PM   #13
OceanH

Ocean H's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Bronze   1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapturous Rich View Post
Highly unlikely.
- Sam says "Welcome to Fourth Echelon", obviously pointing at a progression from Third Echelon.
- Patricia Caldwell is shown as the president - she was in office during the events of Conviction after succeeding David Bowers from the previous games so we can safely assume that Blacklist is either the very same administration or she has since been re-elected.
- If it were a prequel then Lambert, not Grimsdottir, would be overseeing operations and we only hear Grim in the gameplay footage we have seen.
- Victor Coste, Sam's estranged friend from Iraq that he met up with in Conviction for assistance, may also be present providing sniper overwatch - since there was no previous mention of him in earlier games we can again assume that after helping Sam clear house of Tom Reed and his other conspirators in Conviction that he was then officially inducted into Third Echelon with Sam and Grim running it.

Although, this is all assumption of course.
I was thinking it was a prequel during the beginning where Sam transported the injured enemy until he started communicating with Grim which is when I went "what?".
Old 06-07-2012, 09:58 PM   #14
xJuicey Mooseyx

xjuicey mooseyx's Gamercard
splinter cell

i thought they was stopping the splinter cell series now, oh well love these games anyway deffo will be buying it
xJuicey Mooseyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:29 PM   #15
ZingZitang

ZingZitang's Gamercard

Its almost a deal breaker for me.

Conviction is one of My Favorite Games of all time, and that is - quite simply - because of Ironside's performance as Sam Fisher.

“Burn down your cities and leave our farms, and your cities will spring up again as if by magic; but destroy our farms and the grass will grow in the streets of every city in the country.”
- William Jennings Bryan
ZingZitang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:50 AM   #16
Spock

N7 Spock's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
I don't care one bit. It's just a damn voice. If that makes someone not want to buy a game... I just... I just don't know... :|

I like bitching threads.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:38 AM   #17
kyboy

Send a message via Yahoo to kyboy

xZombieROBx's Gamercard

no, its not a deal breaker. because ive never played any splinter cell games. but this one looks gorgeous. so i will be picking up this game!

Thanks to DethHolly for the "Super" sig!!
kyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:44 AM   #18
Rivercurse

Send a message via Skype™ to Rivercurse

Rivercurse's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
No, not a deal breaker for me at all. I've played most Splinter cells down the years on one platform or another, but genreally only once through each time. I genuinely think I wouldn't even have noticed the change if I hadn't read about it online.

I enjoy the series, but it's never been one that really grabbed me. I'll be getting Blacklist regardless of who voices Sam.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #19
cjdavies

cjdavies82's Gamercard

Doesn't bother me, it's a game I want to play either way.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #20
Rapturous Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
I don't care one bit. It's just a damn voice. If that makes someone not want to buy a game... I just... I just don't know... :|
At first I was like "This guy knows" then I saw your username and I was like "This guy knows AND he has taste in TV and films".
Old 01-23-2013, 10:18 PM   #21
Splinter4

Splinter4's Gamercard
Thumbs down

SC: Conviction was so bad that it was almost a deal breaker. But now without Michael Ironside??? ...oh yeah, DEAL BREAKER... almost definitely.

Michael Ironside IS "Sam Fisher" and should get credit as the primary reason that the character ever worked in the first place. His creative influence on Sam Fisher was a huge reason for the Series' continued success.

Don't get me wrong, I'm open to the creative license Ubisoft has with the Series... but to simply "replace" Michael Ironside's iconic VO work as Sam Fisher with a new Actor because of technical considerations is pathetically lazy on the part of Ubisoft.

Retire Sam and introduce us all to a NEW character... simply a little creative STORY TELLING is all that's required. And I love the idea that "Rapturous Rich" posted earlier...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapturous Rich View Post
... Or why couldn't they just have Fisher in charge of 3rd (4th?) Echelon, never seen but only heard, giving orders to a new splinter cell agent that this new guy could have played? ...
What a brilliantly simple solution that would fit perfectly into the Splinter Cell storyline and heritage. We could all experience the OFFICIAL passing of the torch, from Sam Fisher to Joe Schmuckatelli (or whatever they want to name him).

Seriously Ubisoft, at least bring back Tom Clancy and ask him what he thinks of your "story". PLEASE!

Cheers

Whether you think you can or can't... you're right.
Splinter4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:45 PM   #22
BiggD
21 Days Until Halo 2

BiggDope's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Xbox One Maximum Clubs Novice   Community Gaming - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Gold   Road Map - Gold   10,000 posts   Submit - Diamond   Micro Guide - Diamond   A+ Thread Award   CABS Beta Tester   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   Donator - Level 2   VGO Bronze Medal
Total Awards: 17 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEG23 View Post
If Splinter Cell was still like the original game than yes maybe a new VO actor would be unwelcome, but the franchise has changed so much that i honestly don't care. I'm just hoping there will be more stealth in this one than there was in Conviction.
Gotta agree with you, DEG. It's not like Conviction played anything like Chaos Theory...or even Double Agent for that matter. I'm willing to give this game a chance. It bothers me that Ironside is gone, but it's not the end of the world and it's not going to let me skip out on what could be a really good game.

Thanks to Xerofox for the stunningly suave signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadZakpak
You would be Satan not to buy Halo: MCC if you have an Xbox One.
BiggD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #23
Tentaklaus

tafjord's Gamercard
Not a dealbreaker, but it bothers me...
Tentaklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:12 AM   #24
Majica8

Send a message via MSN to Majica8

Th3 Majica's Gamercard

No. And anyone who doesn't get this game JUST because of the voice actor is kind of an idiot tbh.

You won't find a bigger SC fan than me, and I love Ironside as Fisher, but I love SC as a whole even more and wouldn't dream of missing out on another game just because of a voice.

1000G/100%
MW2 - A's Creed - Pure - SC Conviction - CoD 4 - Lego Batman - Res Evil 5 - Trials - BFBC 2 - A's Creed 2 - Harm's Way - Crash Course - Alone in the Dark - Sniper GW - Kingdom for Keflings - World of Keflings - Deus Ex: HR - MW3 - Need for Speed: HP - Brink - Trials Evo - HAWX 2 - Mass Effect 3 - Op Flash DR - Minecraft - FEAR 3 - SSX - RSV2 - You're In The Movies - Halo Reach - Res Evil 6 - Dead Space 2 - Dead Space 3 - Dishonored - FarCry 3
Majica8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:21 AM   #25
Direkin

Direkin's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Shinobi273   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Silver   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Rajeanero   Staff Club - DEG23   Staff Club - DeekBoy   Submit - Bronze   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   XBA Promoter   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)
It's not a deal breaker for me. I'd welcome another SC game that effectively goes back to the roots of the originals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEG23 View Post

Sam Fisher is Splinter Cell, a new character would put a dent in the series, in the same way that replacing James Bond with a new MI6 agent would ruin the bond franchise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanH View Post
During Microsoft Press conference, I thought that with the new "younger" voice and Sam looking kinda younger too that it was a prequel to the first game set during the 1983 Beirut incident.
And just like James Bond, he gets younger with every iteration :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabba View Post
The mirror is staring right at the post which reads you are............. So hilarious that english makes them their posting.... Well done cheevo for confirming that you....... You must be drunk to not realise that or just another incoherent fool..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gackt View Post
heh...don't try to reason with the masses my friend, tis a waste of time
Direkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:44 PM   #26
Crimson x360a
Banned User

Crimson x360a's Gamercard
It's bullshit. Should have Sam Fisher be the guy giving orders and such and play as a new character with the new voice over. Why keep Sam Fisher and change his voice? Give us a new damn character.
Crimson x360a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:38 AM   #27
bLaKgRaVy

bLaKgRaVy's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Platinum   Achievement Guide - Platinum   2,500 Posts   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - Minty   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 2   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 1   Over Achiever - Bronze   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 10 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majica8 View Post
No. And anyone who doesn't get this game JUST because of the voice actor is kind of an idiot tbh.

You won't find a bigger SC fan than me, and I love Ironside as Fisher, but I love SC as a whole even more and wouldn't dream of missing out on another game just because of a voice.

Anyone who doesn't play a game because of a voice over, a character look change, or even the achievement list is basically an idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I CRIMSON I View Post
It's bullshit. Should have Sam Fisher be the guy giving orders and such and play as a new character with the new voice over. Why keep Sam Fisher and change his voice? Give us a new damn character.
If you were playing as a new character, there would be 100 times as many people up in arms about the change than a stupid voice over. I'm sorry, but not playing as Sam Fisher isn't Splinter Cell.

It's like playing Halo not as Master Chief... oh wait...
bLaKgRaVy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:45 AM   #28
BiggD
21 Days Until Halo 2

BiggDope's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Xbox One Maximum Clubs Novice   Community Gaming - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Gold   Road Map - Gold   10,000 posts   Submit - Diamond   Micro Guide - Diamond   A+ Thread Award   CABS Beta Tester   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   Donator - Level 2   VGO Bronze Medal
Quote:
Originally Posted by bLaKgRaVy View Post
If you were playing as a new character, there would be 100 times as many people up in arms about the change than a stupid voice over. I'm sorry, but not playing as Sam Fisher isn't Splinter Cell.

It's like playing Halo not as Master Chief... oh wait...
Lol, exactly what I think everyone someone brings up that argument. Who cares if Sam's VO changed. Not playing as Sam is worse than having Sam VO'd by a new guy.

Quote:
Old 07-23-2013, 02:09 PM   #29
Majica8

Send a message via MSN to Majica8

Th3 Majica's Gamercard

I kinda like Sam's new voice anyway. No it's not Ironside, and it's not the same, but it still suits Sam and from what I've seen/heard Eric Johnson does a damn good job.

1000G/100%
MW2 - A's Creed - Pure - SC Conviction - CoD 4 - Lego Batman - Res Evil 5 - Trials - BFBC 2 - A's Creed 2 - Harm's Way - Crash Course - Alone in the Dark - Sniper GW - Kingdom for Keflings - World of Keflings - Deus Ex: HR - MW3 - Need for Speed: HP - Brink - Trials Evo - HAWX 2 - Mass Effect 3 - Op Flash DR - Minecraft - FEAR 3 - SSX - RSV2 - You're In The Movies - Halo Reach - Res Evil 6 - Dead Space 2 - Dead Space 3 - Dishonored - FarCry 3
Majica8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:14 PM   #30
BiggD
21 Days Until Halo 2

BiggDope's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majica8 View Post
I kinda like Sam's new voice anyway. No it's not Ironside, and it's not the same, but it still suits Sam and from what I've seen/heard Eric Johnson does a damn good job.
It does sounds pretty good, but it's too young. It needs more rasp and a ton of cigarettes.

Quote: