Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Discussion Boards > Xbox One
Subscribe    Donate

Old 08-30-2013, 09:03 AM   #1
iBuzz7S

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze   Donator - Level 2
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Xbox One Will Turn on, Download Queued Content and Go Back to Sleep

Just like the PS4! Or vice versa. Whatever, it's good news.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ad-new-content

I thought this was already known, but from what I can gather that was the background download function.

iBuzz7S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
k2345

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Excellent news, there has been many a time where I have been at work and bought some DLC or a GoD title from xbox.com, only for me to get home and have to wait a while for it to download (especially with GoD).

Inheritor Rank Achieved 14/01/12

k2345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
Barad

Location: Bristol, England Occupation: Undergraduate Status: Doing a raid
Send a message via Skype™ to Barad

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Emerald   The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   Community Gaming - Emerald   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Bronze   Road Map - Emerald   Donator - Level 2   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer
Total Awards: 23 (more» ...)
Brilliant. I'm always downloading shit, so now no time is ever lost!

CURRENTLY PLAYING: THE CREW

Barad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:09 PM   #4
Skorpion XBA
Guide Team

Skorpion XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase The Mighty Duck Face   The Mighty Duck Face   Staff Club - troy0891   Micro Guide - Silver   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff - Guide Team   Achievement Guide - Gold   Subscriber - Silver   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 3   2,500 Posts   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 1   VGO Bronze Medal
Total Awards: 39 (more» ...)
This is awesome news. I'm forever learning about great deals at work and having to purchase them from xbox.com. With this new feature, I won't have to bug my wife to turn my Xbox on when I'm at work lol.

Last edited by Skorpion XBA; 08-30-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Skorpion XBA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #5
Rajeanero
Ryan Industries

Rajeanero's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Rajeanero   Artist of the Month   Staff - Graphics Team   Subscriber - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   Submit - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
Awesome news. This will save so much time

If you're using one of my created signatures/avatars/banners please save them on your computer and upload them by yourself.
For example here, here, or here. Don't use my image link. Just in case, that one of my upload sites are down
or i delete the image from the server. This will avoid trouble for both of us. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakez123 View Post
Raj is still the best though, no one beats Raj, he's like the Chuck Norris of signatures.
Rajeanero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:20 PM   #6
xhunterrrr

Hunter XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Representer   Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   5,000 Posts   x360a Representer
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Everyone does know this means if you want to use this feature, your Xbox One has to ALWAYS be connected and is in a low-power state where it can be awoken by the XBL servers? And yet, people bitched about other things that required this... The world is a strange place.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:21 PM   #7
k2345

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorpion x360a View Post
This is awesome news. I'm forever learning about great deals at work and having to purchase them from xbox.com. With this new feature, I won't have to bug my wife to turn my Xbox on when I'm at work lol.
Only now she will be at home then hear the Xbox turn on by itself, most likely she will then call you at work claiming the house is haunted....only for the Xbox to turn off while she is on the phone and send her running away screaming

Inheritor Rank Achieved 14/01/12

k2345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:24 PM   #8
Skorpion XBA
Guide Team

Skorpion XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase The Mighty Duck Face   The Mighty Duck Face   Staff Club - troy0891   Micro Guide - Silver   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff - Guide Team   Achievement Guide - Gold   Subscriber - Silver   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 3   2,500 Posts   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 1   VGO Bronze Medal
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2345 View Post
Only now she will be at home then hear the Xbox turn on by itself, most likely she will then call you at work claiming the house is haunted....only for the Xbox to turn off while she is on the phone and send her running away screaming
You're right. I may have to get an Xbox One earlier than expected.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #9
Gackt
Banned User

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Gackt   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Gold   SOTF Winner   GSL 8 Winners   The Helping Hand   Bright Idea   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze   Artist of the Month
Total Awards: 14 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhunterrrr View Post
Everyone does know this means if you want to use this feature, your Xbox One has to ALWAYS be connected and is in a low-power state where it can be awoken by the XBL servers? And yet, people bitched about other things that required this... The world is a strange place.
heh...don't try to reason with the masses my friend, tis a waste of time

OT: This will be great for day one digital releases for people who can't be home to start the download of a newly launched game...they can do it from anywhere
Gackt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #10
Felonious Monk

HopeStillFlies's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Gamer Chick!   1,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Silver
Quote:
Don't worry, I'm attentive enough to know.

I won't be using this feature. If only for the power saving implications.

Unless someone wants to drag the hard math in here because they know the exact energy consumption specs, I presume leaving the One in that hibernation state consumes about as much energy as my atom processor mining. The difference between the two is that the One won't be carrying it's weight on an electricity bill.

Maybe worth it if you have a shitty DSL connection and don't care about the energy. As fiber becomes more of a thing for the most of you (you know, that whole "are you coming with me to the future" spiel), you'll flip on your Xbox, have everything downloaded before you've poured your first cup of coffee in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gackt View Post

OT: This will be great for day one digital releases for people who can't be home to start the download of a newly launched game...they can do it from anywhere
You could kind of do that now with a 360 plugged into a smart UPS (360 has the ability to power itself back on after a "power failure", right?).

Last edited by Felonious Monk; 08-30-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Felonious Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:13 PM   #11
Mr Random Hero

Mr Random Hero's Gamercard
Guess this gives a reason to use the store on Xbox.com now
Old 08-30-2013, 03:44 PM   #12
crimzontearz

dropzofcrimzon's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Awesome news. I am often at work while the marketplace updates. Now I can make purchases at work and have them waiting for me already downloaded at home once I am back.

Now if MS only explained digital purchases...
crimzontearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #13
ZombieFan

Quote:
This feature is optional, what people were 'bitching' about was something totally different.

That said, a cool feature for convenience. Probably will hardly use it but good nonetheless.

Full credit goes to Gackt!
ZombieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:03 PM   #14
xhunterrrr

Hunter XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Representer   Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   5,000 Posts   x360a Representer
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieFan View Post
This feature is optional, what people were 'bitching' about was something totally different.

That said, a cool feature for convenience. Probably will hardly use it but good nonetheless.
I never said anything about optional versus mandatory. People appear to be blindly accepting this without wondering how it works. And it works exactly like everything people fought against. It just seems strange that people will accept this as awesome just because MS didn't publicly address how it works (needing to be always connected, always in a low-power state, AND the XBL servers have the ability to control your Xbox).

I think it is a cool idea, but that doesn't mean I'll just gloss over how, exactly, it works. Personally, I'd rather have a system that has a mandatory check-in every 24 hours, but I don't know how comfortable I feel about the ability of the XBL servers to turn your system on and off. That is more than just passive collection of data.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #15
ZombieFan

Quote:
I never said anything about optional versus mandatory. People appear to be blindly accepting this without wondering how it works. And it works exactly like everything people fought against. It just seems strange that people will accept this as awesome just because MS didn't publicly address how it works (needing to be always connected, always in a low-power state, AND the XBL servers have the ability to control your Xbox).

I think it is a cool idea, but that doesn't mean I'll just gloss over how, exactly, it works. Personally, I'd rather have a system that has a mandatory check-in every 24 hours, but I don't know how comfortable I feel about the ability of the XBL servers to turn your system on and off. That is more than just passive collection of data.
Definitely can understand that. The less people know about something, the more they praise it and love it. Until they notice, they won't care lol

Full credit goes to Gackt!
ZombieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #16
B1SK3TS N GR4VY

B1SK3TS N GR4VY's Gamercard
Yeah this awesome news its like background downloads 2.0 xD I will most likely have this feature turned on, so that way I could download something from my phone and have it when I get home
Old 08-30-2013, 04:35 PM   #17
The Elite Elite

The Elite Elite's Gamercard
So if I buy a DLC or game from Xbox.com, the One will turn on and start downloading right away? Sounds good. I wonder if this will work for digital pre-orders? Can I pre-order a game, go to sleep, and when the game releases at midnight on launch day, the One turns on to download my new game so it's ready to play when I wake up?

Thanks to Cpt Slaugh7er for the picture!
The Elite Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:16 PM   #18
Darth VeX

Darth VeX's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBuzz7S View Post
Xbox One Will Turn on ... and Go Back to Sleep

Just like the PS4!
Just like my wife!

Darth VeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:31 PM   #19
Ceris
~Kairi's Student~

Tragic Melody's Gamercard

Awards Showcase The Mighty Duck Face   Staff - Guide Team   CABS Beta Tester   Community Gaming - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - Ceris   Over Achiever - Bronze   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elite Elite View Post
So if I buy a DLC or game from Xbox.com, the One will turn on and start downloading right away? Sounds good. I wonder if this will work for digital pre-orders? Can I pre-order a game, go to sleep, and when the game releases at midnight on launch day, the One turns on to download my new game so it's ready to play when I wake up?
That'd actually be pretty awesome if implemented. I probably won't be using this feature though. And that constant power needed sounds like a problem.

Helping Hand Award Nominations || Please disable your ad blocker for XBA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creech
An ad blocker prevents the ad from loading in the first place, and the counter is on the ad's side, not the site's. As such, an ad blocker stops the increment from going up and no revenue is generated as a result of your page views.
Ceris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:59 PM   #20
Skorpion XBA
Guide Team

Skorpion XBA's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceris View Post
That'd actually be pretty awesome if implemented. I probably won't be using this feature though. And that constant power needed sounds like a problem.
This really isn't an issue for me because I download this way anyway. The only difference is now I don't have to manually turn on the console. And for the console to update automatically is a HUGE plus for me. I hate when I turn on my Xbox to play a game and I have to wait for a console update to finish before I can play.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:50 AM   #21
Billamus

Billamus's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth VeX View Post
Just like my wife!
Wow...Nice!
Old 08-31-2013, 05:07 AM   #22
Aceman417

Aceman417's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Donator - Level 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorpion x360a View Post
. And for the console to update automatically is a HUGE plus for me. I hate when I turn on my Xbox to play a game and I have to wait for a console update to finish before I can play.
Same here, during the Beta for the dashboard there would be an update almost every time I turned my console on.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:15 AM   #23
Direkin

Direkin's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Shinobi273   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Silver   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Rajeanero   Staff Club - DEG23   Staff Club - DeekBoy   Submit - Bronze   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   XBA Promoter   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)
Quote:
Isn't that the truth? Think I'll add it to my sig.
Quote:
People appear to be blindly accepting this without wondering how it works.
I see it's irony time again.
Quote:
And it works exactly like everything people fought against.
You sound surprised. This isn't the first time a "feature" of XB1 has been readily accepted by people, even though the mechanics of that feature went dead against what some of those very people fought against.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabba View Post
The mirror is staring right at the post which reads you are............. So hilarious that english makes them their posting.... Well done cheevo for confirming that you....... You must be drunk to not realise that or just another incoherent fool..
Quote:
Direkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #24
Andy YNWA

Andy YNWA's Gamercard
Yay! I really dont mind my console being on 24/7 internet as im surely not that important to spy on
Andy YNWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #25
InkedUp

Send a message via MSN to InkedUp

InkedUp's Gamercard

This will be nice for when dlc drops while I'm at work, it can be ready to go when I get home instead of having to wait around for it to download.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:31 PM   #26
Tommyguns11

Send a message via AIM to Tommyguns11 Send a message via Yahoo to Tommyguns11

Tommyguns11's Gamercard
This is awesome. I just hope that downloading doesn't require much processing power (it shouldn't) lol because my system will be enclosed in my entertainment center. I open the cabinet doors during use currently so my systems can breathe!
Old 09-11-2013, 04:35 PM   #27
Tommyguns11

Tommyguns11's Gamercard
Wait, can't we play games anyway, even during downloads? I'm assuming that includes DLC?
Old 09-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #28
tormond

Tormond's Gamercard
I personally have never been opposed to the always connected. Heck,my 360 has been connected 100% of the time since the day I got it. And it is on 95% of the time as well. Do people really unplug their consoles when they aren't using them?
tormond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #29
BiggD
PULL IT TOGETHER, 343!

BiggDope's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 15,000 Posts   Community Gaming - Silver   Xbox One Maximum Clubs Novice   Achievement Guide - Gold   Road Map - Gold   Submit - Diamond   Micro Guide - Diamond   A+ Thread Award   CABS Beta Tester   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   Donator - Level 2   VGO Bronze Medal
Total Awards: 17 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tormond View Post
I personally have never been opposed to the always connected. Heck,my 360 has been connected 100% of the time since the day I got it. And it is on 95% of the time as well. Do people really unplug their consoles when they aren't using them?
I don't think being plugged in was people's concerns of "always online"; rather, just bad internet connection.

Besides, leaving things plugged in actually drains power:

http://www.dosomething.org/tipsandto...ire-appliances

Turning appliances off just puts them in a "standby" mode which continues to drain electricity.

Thanks to Xerofox for the romantically rambunctious signature!

Currently Playing: Halo: The Master Chief Collection
~ HALO IS LOVE, HALO IS LIFE ~
BiggD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #30
Tommyguns11

Tommyguns11's Gamercard
I thought "always connected" was referring to your internet connection when the system was on...