Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion
Subscribe    Donate

Old 09-07-2013, 05:24 AM   #1
Heroic1

battlesage360's Gamercard
Male and female friendship?

I really want to know, do you all think a male and female can be "just" friends? I read an article stating males secretly hold out on sex thinking the woman is going to change her mind or wait for the perfect opportunity. I somewhat agree to this, but do women have the same concept? Ulterior motive plays an important role in this equation as well. What do you guys/girls think?
Heroic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:54 AM   #2
Crimson Ridley

Awards Showcase Subscriber - Bronze   Staff Club - DEG23   Over Achiever - Platinum   Staff Club - dakisbac   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
Harry Burns: You realize of course that we could never be friends.
Sally Albright: Why not?
Harry Burns: What I'm saying is - and this is not a come-on in any way, shape or form - is that men and women can't be friends because the sex part always gets in the way.
Sally Albright: That's not true. I have a number of men friends and there is no sex involved.
Harry Burns: No you don't.
Sally Albright: Yes I do.
Harry Burns: You only think you do.
Sally Albright: You say I'm having sex with these men without my knowledge?
Harry Burns: No, what I'm saying is they all WANT to have sex with you.
Sally Albright: They do not.
Harry Burns: Do too.
Sally Albright: How do you know?
Harry Burns: Because no man can be friends with a woman that he finds attractive. He always wants to have sex with her.
Sally Albright: So, you're saying that a man can be friends with a woman he finds unattractive?
Harry Burns: No. You pretty much want to nail 'em too.
Sally Albright: What if THEY don't want to have sex with YOU?
Harry Burns: Doesn't matter because the sex thing is already out there so the friendship is ultimately doomed and that is the end of the story.
Sally Albright: Well, I guess we're not going to be friends then.
Harry Burns: I guess not.
Sally Albright: That's too bad. You were the only person I knew in New York.
Crimson Ridley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:18 AM   #3
DOOKH8R

DOOKH8R's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Over Achiever - Bronze   Staff Club - Minty   2,500 Posts   Donator - Level 4   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
I'll have what she's having.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:48 AM   #4
WOLFkraut

WOLFkraut's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callum x360a View Post
Harry Burns: You realize of course that we could never be friends.
Sally Albright: Why not?
Harry Burns: What I'm saying is - and this is not a come-on in any way, shape or form - is that men and women can't be friends because the sex part always gets in the way.
Sally Albright: That's not true. I have a number of men friends and there is no sex involved.
Harry Burns: You only think you do.
Sally Albright: You say I'm having sex with these men without my knowledge?
Harry Burns: No, what I'm saying is they all WANT to have sex with you.
Sally Albright: How do you know?
Harry Burns: Because no man can be friends with a woman that he finds attractive. He always wants to have sex with her.
Sally Albright: So, you're saying that a man can be friends with a woman he finds unattractive?
Harry Burns: No. You pretty much want to nail 'em too.
Sally Albright: What if THEY don't want to have sex with YOU?
Harry Burns: Doesn't matter because the sex thing is already out there so the friendship is ultimately doomed and that is the end of the story.
Sally Albright: Well, I guess we're not going to be friends then.
Harry Burns: I guess not.
Sally Albright: That's too bad. You were the only person I knew in New York.
Ugh... I hate that movie. Haha.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #5
Eques De Valor

Eques De Valor's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 2   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I personally am married and have several male friends. One even spends the night when he comes to game with me; and yes, my husband is aware of this. My husband and he are also great friends who disc golf together whenever possible. There is nothing sexual between us, but I love him and my other male friends dearly. I can't speak for them, but I find no sexual tension there AT ALL!! Just as I couldn't imagine having sex with my brother, I also can't imagine having sex with them either. But I do love them like they are my family.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
B0seiju

b0seiju's Gamercard
I was halfway a long boring story, but I'll keep it short:

As a male I have several female friends, some of them even sleep next to me on a regular basis. All of that without any sexual tension. And I'm not gay either.

So, yes, Male and Female can just be friends. Though the sexytime thing is involved sometimes, it's not always. Also is the sexything able to ruin a good friendship.
B0seiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:15 AM   #7
INFERNOII

x IB ii G G Zzz's Gamercard
Any experience I've had, when you get close with someone with intentions of being "just friends", it never ends up working that day. In high school me and my best friend at the time caught feelings randomly. Horrible situation, she was dating my best friend. (Of course I took the high horse and didn't do anything relax )

I don't know if thats just me though. I mean I think you're more prone to it if you hang around said person a lot.

INFERNOII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:41 AM   #8
troy0891 x360a
On Hiatus

Send a message via Skype™ to troy0891 x360a

troy0891 x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Gold   Staff - Guide Team   Staff - Moderator   CABS Beta Tester   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   1,000 Posts   Staff Club - Minty   Staff Club - TemporalWizard   x360a Representer   Staff Club - troy0891   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroic1 View Post
I really want to know, do you all think a male and female can be "just" friends? I read an article stating males secretly hold out on sex thinking the woman is going to change her mind or wait for the perfect opportunity. I somewhat agree to this, but do women have the same concept? Ulterior motive plays an important role in this equation as well. What do you guys/girls think?
Yes. It's possible. I think it requires some degree of finding the other person unattractive or otherwise undesirable for one reason or another. In my experience good relationships with long term potential all started with friendship. Granted there was also mutual attraction but they weren't based solely on that physical chemistry.
And check the GreenBook for abandoned works you may be able to lend a hand on
My Blog
troy0891 x360a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #9
RFT 123

Big Beef Curry's Gamercard

My best friend is a female and there's no sexual tension between us, so yeah it is entirely possible for it to happen. Now granted there was a time period when there was, but that's another story entirely. Plus we were friends for years before it and have been for over a year since!
Old 09-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #10
Darth VeX

Darth VeX's Gamercard

Short Answer: No, or at least very rarely IMO.

---

Long Answer: It's in our nature as males to have a desire to propagate the species. And though we are sentient beings, we're still animals as well. We can control our instincts to some degree in the moment. But over time, our instincts do have an effect on our behavior, feelings, and thoughts.

Casual friendships between men and women are entirely possible because we can control our baser instincts. But truly intimate friendships are always clouded (from both sides) by the male-female sexual dynamic. I think the only exceptions or rarities are when the two people in question become friends at a very young age and as they mature together as friends, they convince themselves their relationship is more sibling than friendship.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #11
Sampson

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Yes. I have more female friends than I do male and there is no sexual tensions between us at all. I have a girlfriend and she's the important girl to me. The other ones are just friends and to people who say "No, girls and guys can't be just friends" I feel sorry for you..

"Everyone is entitled to their own sorrow, for the
heart has no metrics or form of measure. And all of
it... irreplaceable."

Thanks to Rajeanero for the excellent signature!
Sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #12
Nathan WV10

Send a message via MSN to Nathan WV10

x Nathan Wv10 x's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampson View Post
Yes. I have more female friends than I do male and there is no sexual tensions between us at all. I have a girlfriend and she's the important girl to me. The other ones are just friends and to people who say "No, girls and guys can't be just friends" I feel sorry for you..
Everything which was said here is what i was about to write down basically aha. Of course males and females can be friends, people need to learn to control themselves and stop being sexual predators lol.

Thanks to Cpt Slaugh7er for the sig and Rajeanero for the avatar
Nathan WV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #13
Gackt
Banned User

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Gackt   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Gold   SOTF Winner   GSL 8 Winners   The Helping Hand   Bright Idea   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze   Artist of the Month
Total Awards: 15 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B0seiju View Post
As a male I have several female friends, some of them even sleep next to me on a regular basis. All of that without any sexual tension. And I'm not gay either.
Are you sure? I think you might be.
Gackt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:26 PM   #14
Opiate42

Location: Canada, likely stuck in a snowdrift...with no shovel

Opiate42's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Bronze   Community Gaming - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - DEG23   Over Achiever - Bronze   5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
It's very possible to have friends of the opposite gender, The Harry Sally Rules are hilariously true, but you can be a civilized human being and try not to jump a friends bones. That's just creepy (unless the feeling is mutual).

Though that requires more willpower than most people seem willing to exert.

OP: That article ... from your summary it sounds like bullshit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gackt View Post
Are you sure? I think you might be.
That depends on whether there's an attraction. No attraction = no fiddly business

"Hit it"
Opiate42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #15
CrazyMv94

CrazyMvM94's Gamercard
So is this thread mainly about having sexual relatonships with your friends if their from the different gender and hit on one of them for an opportunity, or does it really matter to have friends with a different gender than yours?

Last edited by CrazyMv94; 09-13-2013 at 08:37 PM.
CrazyMv94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #16
Opiate42

Location: Canada, likely stuck in a snowdrift...with no shovel

Opiate42's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Bronze   Community Gaming - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - DEG23   Over Achiever - Bronze   5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMv94 View Post
So is this thread mainly about having sexual relatonships with your friends if their from the different gender or does it really matter to have friends with a different gender than yours?
Something like that.

Think it was brought about by some Men/Mars/Women/Venus thing perpetuated by trash rack magazines.

"Hit it"
Opiate42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:15 PM   #17
swatnflyz

Friends bone each other. So yes.
swatnflyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #18
punker

punkerhardcore's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Silver   1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
The whole "men and women can't just be friends" is cliched movie/sitcom nonsense, and ranks right up there with, "hurr durr I'm gonna put my daughter in a convent when she's 16."

Your = possessive. As in, "your grammar sucks."
You're = you are. As in, "you're an idiot for not knowing the difference."

Proper capitalization matters. There is a massive difference between, "I helped my Uncle Jack off a horse," and, "i helped my uncle jack off a horse."
punker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #19
Iceskater101

iceskater101's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Yes guys and girls can be friends. As long as both of you don't have feelings for the other then it will work out.

credits to DEG23
Iceskater101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:00 PM   #20
Foxxy kyle

Foxxy Kyle's Gamercard

Awards Showcase You ARE the Controller Challenge Club - Tier 1   Road Map - Platinum   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Diamond   Micro Guide - Silver   XBA Promoter   2,500 Posts   Achievement Guide - Gold   Over Achiever - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   A+ Thread Award   Bright Idea
Total Awards: 12 (more» ...)
I know any female friends I have, if they are attractive, I think about doing something more with the relationship at least once or twice. If I do not find them attractive, then we will more than likely remain friends.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:23 PM   #21
Spanish Assault

Send a message via Skype™ to Spanish Assault

Spanish Assault's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Gold   Micro Guide - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   10,000 posts   XBA Promoter   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
I have plenty of female friends....Would I ever turn them down if they tried to hook up with me?

HELL NO!

It's all we think about....so naturally we would think about hooking up with any female friends we have.
Spanish Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:05 PM   #22
Agent Aero

Aero x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Gold   x360a Representer   Over Achiever - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Silver   Road Map - Gold   Word of Mouth   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
I have a fair amount of female friends. Some of them there is that sexual desire, and others there isn't currently, but has previously been.

It's definitely true thatit's harder for a guy to be friends with a girl than it is for a girl to be friends with a guy
Old 09-20-2013, 12:17 AM   #23
CrazyMv94

CrazyMvM94's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceskater101 View Post
Yes guys and girls can be friends. As long as both of you don't have feelings for the other then it will work out.
You made it sound even more strange and awkward just for a guy and girl that would like to be friends.

Man does that mean because I never had a female friend in real life would also mean that I'll never have a cute girlfriend? I'd like to know that right now.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:48 AM   #24
Gackt
Banned User

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Gackt   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Gold   SOTF Winner   GSL 8 Winners   The Helping Hand   Bright Idea   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze   Artist of the Month
Quote:
You made it sound even more strange and awkward just for a guy and girl that would like to be friends.

Man does that mean because I never had a female friend in real life would also mean that I'll never have a cute girlfriend? I'd like to know that right now.
You're going to be alone forever. Get used to it.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:07 AM   #25
CrazyMv94

CrazyMvM94's Gamercard
Quote:
If you work for xbox360achievements.org, how can you possibly be allowed to say this?

Old 09-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #26
Felonious Monk

HopeStillFlies's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Gamer Chick!   1,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Silver
Quote:

Quote:
If you work for xbox360achievements.org, how can you possibly be allowed to say this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gackt
You know what, I redact it. Happy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMv94
Yes. 10char
You're going to be alone forever. Get used to it. Until you change.

Seriously, though. If an 8 walked up to you right now and said "'k. I'm intrigued. This can really go either way. Give me the elevator pitch as to why you're better than any other guy I could have my pick of. Go." what would you have, really?

And be careful, there, Mv, that you don't exaggerate too much or get obnoxious or else I will dive through your post history and hurt you.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:13 PM   #27
Gackt
Banned User

Quote:
I don't "work" for them. Why would that matter? Gackt...you can't say humorous things if you represent the site! Pssssssssssssssh. Please.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:37 PM   #28
Jakez123

Jakez123's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Over Achiever - Gold   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 1   Three Lives Remaining - Winner   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Staff Club - Ceris   Staff Club - The Pants Party   Ambassador 1x1 Competition - First Place   XBA Promoter   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Submit - Bronze   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 12 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Monk View Post
Sparks - "I Married Myself" (official video) - YouTube

You're going to be alone forever. Get used to it. Until you change.

Seriously, though. If an 8 walked up to you right now and said "'k. I'm intrigued. This can really go either way. Give me the elevator pitch as to why you're better than any other guy I could have my pick of. Go." what would you have, really?

And be careful, there, Mv, that you don't exaggerate too much or get obnoxious or else I will dive through your post history and hurt you.
Not going to lie, half the time I have no clue what you're on about.

Quote:
I don't "work" for them. Why would that matter? Gackt...you can't say humorous things if you represent the site! Pssssssssssssssh. Please.
I don't think it matters.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #29
Felonious Monk

HopeStillFlies's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Gamer Chick!   1,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakez123 View Post
Not going to lie, half the time I have no clue what you're on about.
Penishball spfunkrhausen leicht gownniwa soladebahenway, si? Eh? Eh? Ai?

Sponsored by Applebee's.

Quote:
For fuckssa-
I don't think he's able to sell himself as anything other than a Melvin.

You can totally be that but then you've got to make up in other areas. Affluence. Charisma. Earth shattering genitals. Not be a selfish dick. You know.

All I'm saying is that he was blurbing about not having any "friends that are girls" and then dooming himself to not having, specifically, his words, not mine, "a cute girlfriend" and all I'm saying is that if someone hot approached him, completely out of his league, what would his answer be to at least sell himself to the concept?

Last edited by Felonious Monk; 09-20-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Felonious Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:18 AM   #30
Lucent Beam

Send a message via AIM to Lucent Beam

Lucent Beam's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Referrals - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Gamer Chick!   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
I think that, yes, friendship is possible. In my experience though, guys are extremely less loyal as friends, especially if they were single to begin with. Maybe it's their controlling girlfriend or something, but when my guy friends have gotten girlfriends, they have totally abandoned not just me but our whole circle of friends. Girls only seem to do that temporarily, but guys seem to do it permanently.