Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion > Movies
Subscribe    Donate

Old 09-21-2013, 02:48 AM   #2521
PenderPowguin

PenderPowguin's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
World War Z - 6/10

I mentioned this movie in another thread - it put me to sleep, literally. That's not to say it's a bad movie, it's just not that great of one either.

Just some of the reasons I found it less than deserving:
Spoiler! (click here to reveal)

There were definitely elements of the movie I enjoyed, and I really didn't feel like it was the worst zombie flick I've ever seen. I just walked away feeling like this is a movie I could forget easily. Give it a shot if you're a fan of zombie movies though. Opinions and assholes and the like
Old 09-21-2013, 06:03 AM   #2522
CrazyMv94
Banned User

CrazyMvM94's Gamercard
Prisoners - 9/10
CrazyMv94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #2523
PenderPowguin

Kick Ass 2 - 7.5/10

I loved the original, and though this one isn't as awesome, it's still a pretty decent flick.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #2524
Balakson

The last movie I watched was called Oblivian with tom cruise. I enjoy futuristic movies as well as the idea of a new start. Morgan Freeman was fun to watch in this movie as the leader to the rebellion.
Balakson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:52 PM   #2525
Gackt
Banned User

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Gackt   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Gold   SOTF Winner   GSL 8 Winners   Bright Idea   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze   Artist of the Month   Call of Duty 4 Subscribers Tourn. - Second Place
Total Awards: 13 (more» ...)
World War Z - 5/10
I didn't hate it, but it was lacking in several areas. There was never much to fear in the movie, there was literally no scare factor at all. The entire time watching I never thought...If i were in that situation I'd be terrified. Brad Pitt looked bored the entire movie, his facial expression really never changed and it just seemed like he was just trying to get through the movie.
Soundtrack was good, I liked the theme. Ending was weak, overall pretty disappointing film for such a great book.

I saw the Devil(Korean) 10/10
For some reason I was delaying watching this film, had it on my netflix que for such a long time and always was never in the mood to watch it. Finally did and wow...this film is one of the better ones I have ever seen.
First off...the villain, they do such an incredible job at making you REALLY hate this guy. Said it before but nobody does a better job at revenge stories than the Asians and specifically South Koreans. As expected, there wasn't anything at the end to leave you feeling happy or justified...it's just dark from beginning to end. I heard rumors of an American remake and I hope to hell that doesn't happen because they would not be able to pull it off anywhere as good as the original.

Quick(korean) 10/10
Action comedy, can't recommend it enough. It has your attention all movie with never a dull moment. It's on Netflix for those who have it and might be interested. I've nothing bad to say about this film at all, pretty much perfect from beginning to end. Asian cinema is spoiling me, hard to watch anything from Hollywood these days as they just don't stack up lol.
Gackt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:04 PM   #2526
PenderPowguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gackt View Post
Asian cinema is spoiling me, hard to watch anything from Hollywood these days as they just don't stack up lol.
It's so funny that you mentioned this, because I am too becoming spoiled with such. Please tell me those films are not dubbed I seriously hate Netflix for dubbing films.

Have you seen, 'The Man from Nowhere'? I loved that movie. I'm always looking to check out new Asian films that I haven't seen, so, keep 'em comin'!
Old 09-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #2527
Gackt
Banned User

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Gackt   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Gold   SOTF Winner   GSL 8 Winners   Bright Idea   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze   Artist of the Month   Call of Duty 4 Subscribers Tourn. - Second Place
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenderPowguin View Post
It's so funny that you mentioned this, because I am too becoming spoiled with such. Please tell me those films are not dubbed I seriously hate Netflix for dubbing films.

Have you seen, 'The Man from Nowhere'? I loved that movie. I'm always looking to check out new Asian films that I haven't seen, so, keep 'em comin'!
Of course I've seen The Man from Nowhere lol, great movie. And yeah..I don't watched dubbed films. The second I see it's not in it's original language I stop watching it.

Oh...I forgot the last one I watched so I might as well rate it in this post lol

My Girlfiend is an Agent 10/10
Korean film yet again, comedy and action. Definitely check this one out when you feel like watching a Korean film that doesn't leave you feeling depressed lol.

It's funny, I used to be all into Japanese stuff and only them, but over time those are the ones I like the least. I mean I still enjoy them and they are great but if I were to put them in order. Korean/Chinese/Japanese.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:32 AM   #2528
postal69

postal69's Gamercard
silent house

7/10
postal69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:48 AM   #2529
Doa672ug

Colombiana - 6/10 Was a good entertaining film but something about it just didnt feel right.

Last edited by Doa672ug; 09-22-2013 at 01:53 AM.
Doa672ug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #2530
Starkweather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gackt View Post
Of course I've seen The Man from Nowhere lol, great movie. And yeah..I don't watched dubbed films. The second I see it's not in it's original language I stop watching it.

Oh...I forgot the last one I watched so I might as well rate it in this post lol

My Girlfiend is an Agent 10/10
Korean film yet again, comedy and action. Definitely check this one out when you feel like watching a Korean film that doesn't leave you feeling depressed lol.

It's funny, I used to be all into Japanese stuff and only them, but over time those are the ones I like the least. I mean I still enjoy them and they are great but if I were to put them in order. Korean/Chinese/Japanese.
Dubbed doesn't work in dramas or horrors or anything serious especially stuff like Man From Nowhere and I Saw The Devil etc. But even in stuff like 13 Assassins and Kung Fu Hustle you don't like it? I agree with Korean ahead of Japan. Thai havs some good gems too. Speaking of Korean movies i am trying to watch Secretly Greatly next as i liked the directors previous work and this one apparently is also good. .
Old 09-23-2013, 01:25 PM   #2531
JuSt BLaZe

BLAZE VII's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Xbox One Maximum Clubs Novice   Submit - Diamond   5,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Gold   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
The Family (2013) [6/10]

Was fun to watch, nothing big. Dianna Agron shooting guns, hot.

100% > Resident Evil - Remake Remastered (XboxOne & Playstation4)
100% > Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (Xbox360 & XboxOne)
100% > Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition (Xbox360 & XboxOne)

-[RESIDENTEVIL]-
JuSt BLaZe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #2532
MrVictorStone

MrVictorStone's Gamercard
Rush 9.5/10 certainly one of the best films I've seen this year. Atm I can't think of a better one.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:41 PM   #2533
LickableLemons7

LickableLemons7's Gamercard

Awards Showcase The Best of 2014 Challenge Club - Tier 1   Xbox One Maximum Clubs Novice   Staff Club - Madhatters13   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 3   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 2   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - DEG23   Micro Guide - Bronze   Staff Club - DeekBoy
Total Awards: 17 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMv94 View Post
Prisoners - 9/10
I've been intent on watching this one. Hearing lots of nice things.

Hell, I'm surprised I'm actually feeling excited to go to the movies in general. Last movie I saw in theaters was Only God Forgives (and that was excellent). And before that....I don't think I saw much in 2012. All I can remember is Prometheus (fantastic) The Avengers and TDKR, both meh.

I do like Jake Gyllenhaal, loved him in Donnie Darko, Source Code, Zodiac, and End of Watch. Nice to see more of him.

And Gravity! I don't really like Clooney or Bullock but the concept of the film is thrilling.

Gravity, and Prisoners. Awesome. Haven't seen a sequel or prequel in a while. Makes me happy.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:20 AM   #2534
TR0UBLE

Trouble 95's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Insidious Chapter 2 , It was alright not as scary as expected, but still enjoyable and creepy.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:08 AM   #2535
JustinMasonSS

JustinMasonSS's Gamercard
watched grown ups 2 thought it would suck like first one but i actually enjoyed it had some good laughs here and there 8/10

JustinMasonSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #2536
Barad
Maximum Club's Warrior

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Emerald   Road Map - Emerald   Micro Guide - Gold   Submit - Diamond   Staff - Maximum Clubs Director   Community Gaming - Diamond   Xbox One Maximum Clubs Novice   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   VGO Team Award - Bronze   GRID 2 Award   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer
Total Awards: 25 (more» ...)
Now You See Me - 6/10

Oblivion - 6.5/10
Barad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:03 PM   #2537
mattesty

Fear Complexx's Gamercard
Insidious Chapter 2. 9/10. A lot better then the first even though I enjoyed the first.

United States Air Force
mattesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:59 AM   #2538
Spock

N7 Spock's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
I gotta recommend all three of these. Definitely do not miss Prisoners or The Kings of Summer this year.

I like bitching threads.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #2539
forkettle

forkettle's Gamercard
Aftershock
6/10
It was not as bad as I was expecting.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:20 AM   #2540
Gackt
Banned User

Castaway on the Moon 10/10
Korean.
I won't discuss it as I wouldn't want to give away or spoil anything but this movie was amazing. It's on Netflix instant stream until October 1st...if you have Netflix and enjoy asian films I highly suggest you watch it soon. It's just an overall wonderful film.

Last edited by Gackt; 09-29-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:36 AM   #2541
Bulletman

Bulletman uk's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Spider Forest 10/10. One of the best films I've ever seen, it was haunting, beautiful and a total mind fuck! The musical score was fantastic aswell, I don't think I'll ever forget this film.

Thanks to Cpt Slaugh7er for this excellent sig.
Bulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:02 PM   #2542
GRIMFISTED

Depraved Hate's Gamercard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGhGcss7H-4 Warning Very Offensive!

57 100% be them arcade WP7 or retail
2nd in the world to 300/300 Fruitninja kinect
2nd in th uk and 6th in the world to 200 point Project sunburst
GRIMFISTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #2543
Shiftie

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Diamond   2,500 Posts   Road Map - Diamond   Green Thumb - Bronze   Micro Guide - Platinum   Submit - Silver   Staff Club - Shiftie   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Riddick - 6/10
The first 30min or so were pretty good.. if they cut the number of bounty hunters in half, and reduced the crappy dialogue by about 90% (seriously, I could have written a better movie when I was 10), the rest of the movie would have been pretty good as well. Overall, the Universe that Riddick live in is still enjoyable to watch, with a planet that at first seemed identical to the one in the first movie, but ended up being quite a bit different. Giving Karl Urban only a brief cameo was lame as well.

Prisoners 8/10
Really good acting and for the most part a good story are dragged down by what I would consider obvious hints as to who the real kidnapper was in the movie, which kind of ruined the ending. Jake Gylenhaal's character was also supposed to be this top-notch cop that made stupid mistakes throughout the film, and really the police force in general made a lot of stupid mistakes that added even further to my negative feelings toward the ending. I could think of one or two ways to explain the police fuck-ups, or holes in the story, but the movie made no attempt to do that.

Shiftie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:01 AM   #2544
Spock

N7 Spock's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftie View Post
Prisoners 8/10
I really liked the ending. Like the last couple minutes I mean, not the entire act, because I agree that was a bit obvious. For some reason though those final few minutes are just sticking with me.

I like bitching threads.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:20 AM   #2545
CrazyMv94
Banned User

CrazyMvM94's Gamercard
Gravity - 10/10

I'm calling it right here and right now, this isn't just one of the best movies of 2013, this isn't just of the best space film ever made, but this is one of the best achievements in filmmaking history in past years.

Alfonso Cuaron has proven himself without doubt to be one of the best directors on my list, from his previous works (Y Tu Mama Tambien, Harry Potter 3, Children of Men, etc) this is the best thing he has crafted from also being not just his greatest film but a modern masterpiece that people will remember him from.

Also the IMAX 3D experience is just gorgeous to look at and enjoy, I strongly recommend watching this on that format.

On a serious note, this movie did something that any other movie I've seen in 2013 did not do: As soo as it ended and walked out, I felt the urge of going back and watch it again, it was that fucking good.

And so, Gravity is: My Favorite Movie of 2013.

Last edited by CrazyMv94; 10-04-2013 at 05:44 AM.
CrazyMv94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:59 AM   #2546
Spock

N7 Spock's Gamercard

Gravity - 4/5.
It's one of the best looking movies I've seen, but the story is a bit lame towards the end... not going to go into details to avoid spoilers.

Pacific Rim - 2/5.
Been wanting to see this after hearing a lot of praise. It's extremely mediocre with terrible writing, especially with the dialogue. The fight scenes are pretty crappy early on, but the one in Hong Kong is sort of cool. It's just so meh...

I like bitching threads.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:59 AM   #2547
Lupus Solus

LupusSolus 01's Gamercard
Red 2 6/10
Lupus Solus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:40 PM   #2548
Shiftie

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Diamond   2,500 Posts   Road Map - Diamond   Green Thumb - Bronze   Micro Guide - Platinum   Submit - Silver   Staff Club - Shiftie   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
I really liked the ending. Like the last couple minutes I mean, not the entire act, because I agree that was a bit obvious. For some reason though those final few minutes are just sticking with me.
Ya the rather eerie ending was good, but I think it would have been better in a more suspense-driven movie OR if all the CSI people weren't there (which made it silly), I would have appreciated it a lot more I think.

Shiftie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:37 PM   #2549
Nathan WV10

x Nathan Wv10 x's Gamercard
I watched 'The Fourth Kind' last night for the first time since I watched it at cinema when it was released. I think its really good for a film which is basically just a documentary. I give it a 7/10
Old 10-08-2013, 05:02 AM   #2550
alpha17

alpha613's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   XBA Promoter
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
World War Z was pretty good I enjoyed it and would recommend it to someone if asked. 7.5/10
alpha17 is offline   Reply With Quote