PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password
 

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Sleeping Dogs
Subscribe    Donate

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2012, 11:59 PM   #31
True.Mister.Six
 
True.Mister.Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 83

True Mister Six's Gamercard
I'm quite a big fan of the shooter elements in sandbox games like GTA and Saints Row. I've played a little of the demo and found it focused largely on the martial arts (admittedly I only played a few minutes as I was pressed for time) It reminded me a bit of the Batman games.

My question - how intensive is the martial arts element for combat? Will I find the shooter in me unsatisfied and disappointed?
__________________
"Look Daddy... I just PWNED that Noob!"

Like my posts? check out my blog: truemistersix.wordpress.com
True.Mister.Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:54 PM   #32
Zim
 
Zim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 244
For myself I would say sleeping dogs had better gunplay, melee (obviously lol), better missions, better map design/city, better characters, better movement and better driving.

Whereas GTA4 had the better graphics for the time (it is a few years old now), better music and radio stations (they have the money) and better length (wish there were a few more main missions in SD).

However I think it's important to remember this is their first attempt at an open world game and basically their first big budget, big promotion game. It's pretty amazing considering that. I think I preferred it overall to GTA. The gameplay being better just makes a huge difference. Really satisfying melee combat and the gun slow mo stuff is great. Riding a bike at full speed, jumping off and letting it go flying into a group of people while you shoot at them in mid-air is just awesome.

Also I preferred the city in SD to GTA4 by a huge margin. SD is basically a redesigned Hong Kong. But it's actually really well designed. It seems pretty big but actually the map is fairly small as there is a big chunk of nothing in the middle. But that big chunk is used for two of the best racing roads. Then the 4 little districts have their own feelings North point being the lower class, kennedy the upper class, central the financial/clubbing area and aberdeen the middle class.

Whereas in GTA 4 I was just sick of games set in New York. Was talking about this with my friend earlier. Spider-man 2+3, GTA4 (3 and LCS were also iirc), prototype, True crime: NYC etc. If it's not NY then most open world games are still set in American cities. It gets a bit much. It was nice to play a game with just a totally different feeling to the city (Yakuza series is good for this too but is a VERY different type of open world).
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:18 AM   #33
Vic2Point0
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 12

Vic 2point0's Gamercard
Sleeping Dogs is vastly superior to any GTA game (though I will always love the PS2 generation), and in many many ways.
Vic2Point0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 03:14 AM   #34
Ninja Eagle
 
Ninja Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Posts: 1,199

Captain Cotchy's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
In my opinion GTA did a lot of things better, but Sleeping Dogs didn't really do anything wrong. It's a great game that will never really get the recognition it deserves.
__________________

Ninja Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:00 AM   #35
staindsoul413
 
staindsoul413's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5

StaindSoul413's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponypo2001 View Post
Of course it's not GTA, it's Sleeping Dogs.

The game is excellent so far. Camera can be a pain and the shooting is a bit poo, but everything else is top draw.

Exactly this, definitely not a fan of the camera but it's a great game.
__________________

Last edited by staindsoul413; 01-08-2014 at 08:41 AM.
staindsoul413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:55 AM   #36
Direkin
 
Direkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: 香Hong Kong港
Posts: 2,272

Direkin's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Shinobi273   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Silver   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Rajeanero   Staff Club - DEG23   Staff Club - DeekBoy   Submit - Bronze   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   XBA Promoter   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim View Post
For myself I would say sleeping dogs had better gunplay, melee (obviously lol), better missions, better map design/city, better characters, better movement and better driving.

Whereas GTA4 had the better graphics for the time (it is a few years old now), better music and radio stations (they have the money) and better length (wish there were a few more main missions in SD).

However I think it's important to remember this is their first attempt at an open world game and basically their first big budget, big promotion game. It's pretty amazing considering that. I think I preferred it overall to GTA. The gameplay being better just makes a huge difference. Really satisfying melee combat and the gun slow mo stuff is great. Riding a bike at full speed, jumping off and letting it go flying into a group of people while you shoot at them in mid-air is just awesome.

Also I preferred the city in SD to GTA4 by a huge margin. SD is basically a redesigned Hong Kong. But it's actually really well designed. It seems pretty big but actually the map is fairly small as there is a big chunk of nothing in the middle. But that big chunk is used for two of the best racing roads. Then the 4 little districts have their own feelings North point being the lower class, kennedy the upper class, central the financial/clubbing area and aberdeen the middle class.

Whereas in GTA 4 I was just sick of games set in New York. Was talking about this with my friend earlier. Spider-man 2+3, GTA4 (3 and LCS were also iirc), prototype, True crime: NYC etc. If it's not NY then most open world games are still set in American cities. It gets a bit much. It was nice to play a game with just a totally different feeling to the city (Yakuza series is good for this too but is a VERY different type of open world).
Agreed. The melee system in SD is unparalleled. In GTA I try to avoid it as it feels really clunky, but here it's actually really smooth, and I prefer it over gunfights. And you're right, even the gunfights are pretty cool with the slow-motion. I actually hate the shooting system in GTA as well due to the auto-aim, though I know now that it can be turned off.

I've found the driving to be a bit clunky in SD though. GTA seemed a lot more refined in that regard. It's just the way cars could suddenly move at 30 kmh from a standstill, and how other vehicles on the road could come to a dead stop suddenly, which made it feel like the game was having problems. On the other hand, being able to hijack vehicles from a vehicle whilst in motion is pretty awesome.

A couple years back I had played Ninja Gaiden II, Prototype, GTA IV and Crysis II. All based in New York, New York, New York, or at least had a level in it. GTA V took us to Los Angeles, but it's still the US. It was nice to play somewhere else for a change. During the opening sequence I couldn't help spying the lights show of the Bank of China in the background, which made me wonder if it was supposed to be Hong Kong rather than a fictional city. Overall the rendition of the island isn't too bad, given how small the map is, though it's a little weird not seeing the lights of Kowloon peninsula across the harbour, even if it was just an image map. A lot of the areas are heavily compressed; North Point is actually Tin Hau to Chai Wan, Central district is from Sheung Wan to Causeway Bay, Kennedy Town is from Kennedy Town to Pok Fu Lam, and Aberdeen encompasses Aberdeen, Wong Chuk Hang and Ap Lei Chau (called Aberdeen Island in the game). Despite that, many of the landmarks and roads are still accurate enough to be recognisable.

Or to put it more succinctly:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic2Point0 View Post
Sleeping Dogs is vastly superior to any GTA game (though I will always love the PS2 generation), and in many many ways.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabba View Post
The mirror is staring right at the post which reads you are............. So hilarious that english makes them their posting.... Well done cheevo for confirming that you....... You must be drunk to not realise that or just another incoherent fool..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gackt View Post
heh...don't try to reason with the masses my friend, tis a waste of time
Direkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:46 PM   #37
Mezznado
 
Mezznado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 10

Mezznado's Gamercard
It's a really good game. I wouldn't exactly compare to it GTA that much. Sure they share same elements, but this game focuses on different things. It's fun, fighting system is brilliant. Overall a good game
Mezznado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:02 PM   #38
iiDaRReN316x
 
iiDaRReN316x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 1,689

i7z iDaRReNx's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Of course this is no GTA. even Saints Row is better then this repetative trainwreck of a game. i'd give it a 5/10 at most.
__________________
iiDaRReN316x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:57 AM   #39
Harry Rasing
 
Harry Rasing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Simpelveld, Netherlands
Posts: 235

Harry Rasing's Gamercard
Sleeping Dogs comes nowhere near the quality GTA delivers...
Harry Rasing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:44 PM   #40
Ratpoizen
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 95

Ratpoizen's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barad View Post
I don't think this game reaches any standards whatsoever when comparing to GTA which is sad seeing as this is 4 years newer than the last GTA game.
Thats because GTA cost hundreds of millions of dollars to develop. SD probably cost about 1% of that to make so you really can't compare the two, apart that they're both the same genre games.

Anyways, I found this to be a very fun game, albeit far too short and easy. The melee combat in this game was better than GTA Ithought.
Ratpoizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:56 PM   #41
JennyOwnz
 
JennyOwnz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: EpicVille.
Posts: 108

JennyOwnz's Gamercard
There will never be another GTA like Vice City....ever!
Not sure if anyone ever played True Crimes on ps2 back then as well. Sleeping Dogs seemed more like True Crimes than anything (in a good way).

Anyway, I love Sleeping Dogs. I did not think I was going to like it as much as I did. Camera can be a bit annoying sometimes, but not enough to ruin gameplay for me.
__________________
JennyOwnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:50 AM   #42
greygat
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6

CastMember's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyOwnz View Post
There will never be another GTA like Vice City....ever!
Not sure if anyone ever played True Crimes on ps2 back then as well. Sleeping Dogs seemed more like True Crimes than anything (in a good way).

Anyway, I love Sleeping Dogs. I did not think I was going to like it as much as I did. Camera can be a bit annoying sometimes, but not enough to ruin gameplay for me.
It actually started off being developed as True Crime: Hong Kong



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleepin...e)#Development
greygat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:25 AM   #43
chaos muffin
 
chaos muffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 47
Feels like a mini superbly polished GTA with craploads to do. Every thing is much shorter, even the races are tiny. The class A cars were fun and for a game thats been prolonged and passed around so much in production, they did a fine job in the final execution. It exceeded my expectations on many levels.
__________________

XBOX LIVE gt - chaos muffin (buddy me for boosting adventures)
chaos muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:34 PM   #44
Alkutraz
 
Alkutraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 6

Alkutraz's Gamercard
so glad this game was available with Free with Gold otherwise I would have missed out on a really cool experience. It's not perfect, but I'm really enjoying it.
Alkutraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:57 PM   #45
Ryane84
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 5

ryane84theman's Gamercard
definitly not gta but still good
Ryane84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 02:30 AM.