Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Discussion Boards > Games
Subscribe    Donate

Old 02-21-2014, 01:40 AM   #1
Balloonhead

ejlane11's Gamercard
What's with the early announcements?

I've been noticing recently that games are being announced way before they're actually released and I just wanted to know what you guys think and if there's a specific reason that this happens.
A recent example is Destiny: Originally announced February 2013 but not coming until September this year. Halo 4: June 2011 when announced, November 2012 when it finally released. Hell, Kingdom Hearts 3 was announced last Summer but I doubt it'll make 2015. GTA V was announced October 2011! I want to hear you're thoughts.

2500th achievement: Black Ops 2-Mazed and Confused. 7-10-13.
Balloonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:45 AM   #2
TheDarkOne

LeGiOnOfPaIn666's Gamercard
I think that they do this to get people interested in the games and also get people to pre-order them as well. Also, they like to see what people say about the games and potentially add things to them also. I might be wrong on the last bit, just taking a educated guess here.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:47 AM   #3
WalterWhite

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
I hate it and I'm sick of it too. I'm glad someone finally mentioned it. All the games we might be getting this year seem like old news and we haven't even played them. I'll make Watchdogs my first example. I feel like I played that game two years ago and forgot about it, I'm not sure I even care about it anymore. Uncharted is another one. They announced that just to shut people up about it, I don't even know if they've begun production on it. Just like any gamer, I get excited when I hear an announcement but at the same time, I just forget about it right away now. I don't need to see trailers for games that are two and three years away. I wonder how many of the games that were announced for release this year at last year's E3 won't even release in 2014. I believe they said recently that the new Metal Gear is unlikely to release before holiday of 2015. It's almost like E3 is a preview of things we'll see in two years, rather than within the next six months or year.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:50 AM   #4
Spade.
Speedrunning

Send a message via Skype™ to Spade.

jacob xba's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 2   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Community Gaming - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff Club - Minty   Subscriber - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   Micro Guide - Bronze   Ambassador 1x1 Competition - Second Place   Submit - Silver   2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 13 (more» ...)
Build hype.

Increase sales.

Profit.

I thought it was obvious...
Old 02-21-2014, 01:52 AM   #5
Balloonhead

ejlane11's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterWhite View Post
I'll make Watchdogs my first example. I feel like I played that game two years ago and forgot about it, I'm not sure I even care about it anymore.

I seriously forgot to put Watch_Dogs as an example. I feel the same way, though. I heard of this game at E3 2012 and it's STILL not here. I lost most of my interest.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:58 AM   #6
WalterWhite

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balloonhead View Post
I seriously forgot to put Watch_Dogs as an example. I feel the same way, though. I heard of this game at E3 2012 and it's STILL not here. I lost most of my interest.
Beyond Good & Evil 2 is another good example. As a matter of fact Ubisoft is without a doubt the worst for doing this. How many launch games did they cancel this year, like five of them or something? They have so many good franchises on the shelf (Rainbow Six is another one) that it's just become a crying shame. Meanwhile those shitty Assassin games keep coming out like diarrhea.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:02 AM   #7
Spade.
Speedrunning

Send a message via Skype™ to Spade.

jacob xba's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 2   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Community Gaming - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff Club - Minty   Subscriber - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   Micro Guide - Bronze   Ambassador 1x1 Competition - Second Place   Submit - Silver   2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 13 (more» ...)
Quote:
Beyond Good & Evil 2 is another good example. As a matter of fact Ubisoft is without a doubt the worst for doing this. How many launch games did they cancel this year, like five of them or something? They have so many good franchises on the shelf (Rainbow Six is another one) that it's just become a crying shame. Meanwhile those shitty Assassin games keep coming out like diarrhea.
Yeah it seems Assassin's Creed has become an annualized product like Call Of Duty, and with that implemented, the games tend to go down the drain in terms of quality.

Wow, GTA V was announced in '11? I honestly never heard of it's nearby release until about March of last year.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:08 AM   #8
Balloonhead

ejlane11's Gamercard
Quote:

Furious 4 is still not here and that was announced in 2011. The way I see it, you shouldn't announce a game if it's not coming out within a year for sure. I was quite disappointed with the announcement of ACIV but after playing it I'm a little forgiving. I'm expecting a new game announcement within the next month...

Old 02-21-2014, 02:40 AM   #9
MabusScarab

Mabus Incarnate's Gamercard
Oddworld on arcade has had me excited for however the hell long ago it was announced and it's beginning to piss me off that there continues to be zero news about it.

Beyond Good and Evil 2 is another example, as was Alan Wake. I remember when they were hyping up Alan Wake for what, nearly 3 years??

I understand why they do it, I just don't like it. I'd rather see an announcement pop up along the lines of "Knights of the Old Republic 3 is in development, and guess what? It comes out in two weeks!".

I'd rather know nothing than hear about a game I really want 12-18 months prior to it's release. For this reason, I don't watch dev diaries, trailers, or read into new games coming out much at all, i'd rather be surprised when I play it.

I remember when Skyrim was upcoming and all my friends were like "I can't wait to battle giant dragons in this game, did you see that dragon fight trailer?" I'm thinking to myself no, i'd rather experience it myself instead of watch someone else do it 3 months prior and know it's coming in the game and exactly how it looks and feels.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:02 AM   #10
Evo Kazz

II Kazz II's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Arcade Crazy - Silver   Over Achiever - Platinum   XBA Promoter   2,500 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
Not so much the reveals that bother me, its the constant news articles and the stupid amount of trailers, by the time said game comes out you feel like you've finished it 10 times already, these days I try to avoid news and trailers....same with movies.

Evo Kazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:09 AM   #11
KillerBEA
CET

Send a message via Skype™ to KillerBEA

KillerBEA XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Gold   Fight Club Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff - Community and Events Team   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - KillerBEA   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 1   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Family Corner Challenge Club - Tier 1   Subscriber - Bronze   Road Map - Platinum
Total Awards: 25 (more» ...)
Yeah, colored me annoyed by the push back for Watch_Dogs. I was excited for that game, but now I barely care if it even releases. Announcing it and pushing it back has the danger of making people not care anymore. Which is sad because that game has promise, but I find myself not caring about it anymore.
KillerBEA is offline   Reply With Quote