Subscribe    Donate

Old 03-02-2014, 10:25 AM   #31
Nitnoid

haZZmaTTaZZ's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEG23 View Post
I get the whole "I like my privacy and don't agree with being watched" but I have to admit you do sound like the kind of person that fears the lizard people.

Like others have mentioned how is Kinect any different from other forms of surveillance or information gathering that people enter into freely without question? I remember a while back I thought it would be fun to count how many CCTV cameras I walked by on my way to work. Those 30 cameras could tell more about who I am as a person than my Kinect sitting in my bedroom.

The only reason the Kinect is causing a stir is because when it was first announced that it would always be on, the people that hate on kinect lost their shit. I understand the Kinect could potentially be used for collecting and storing mugshots like the article says but unless we live in a Minority Report style world all that is is simply a file without any direct practical application. What about people who detail every aspect of their lives on Facebook and Twitter? How come no one is jumping up and down screaming the beginning of an authoritarian government there?

Like I said, I understand where people are coming from when they bring up issues like privacy in regards to surveillance in general but it just seems as if a certain portion of the online community is highlighting the Kinect not because of its connection to the issue at hand but rather because they are anti-MS or are one of those people who despite never using the new generation of Kinect or at the very least, given it a try, are grasping at straws in the vain hope that MS will release a Kinect-less Bundle.
You are correct about CCTV cameras invading our lives when outdoors. The local TV station did a story on the ones not used for red light cameras. They were told that the cameras were for public safety. When questioned, they would not answer WHO has access to the cameras or who maintains them. As of now, they are probably local governments / law enforcement using them. I've said before that we have a rather benign government at the moment and they don't REALLY intrude on our personal freedoms. But, as the government gets bigger, and gains more control over our lives, they COULD start intruding on our personal lives, while we watch our freedoms dwindle away. Right now, a person who enjoys a little herbal entertainment can do so in the privacy of his own home without interference. Now, you don't see most of these people walking down the street, under surveillance, enjoying the same pleasures. Could they be detained if seen on the street from the camera? Right now, probably isn't going to happen. Microsoft, Sony, Yahoo, and Google would all have to bow to the pressure of the federal government if they indeed wanted access to these devices. Suddenly, what we've all come to know as good science fiction now has become science future.

Do I care if they see me in my skivvies? No. I have the box unplugged when not in use so it isn't a problem. I just think people slowly, over time, give up their privacy without even knowing about it. Take Obamacare for example. Now that you have insurance through the program, you are not ALLOWED to switch plans UNTIL you have another plan. We are actually LETTING the government take control of our lives. Just hope people don't come to realize this too late. Information is power. We need to know about these plans that may or may not occur.

Was Snowden a whistleblower or a traitor. Only history will tell...
Nitnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:32 AM   #32
Master Sieder

Master Sieder's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEG23 View Post
Like I said, I understand where people are coming from when they bring up issues like privacy in regards to surveillance in general but it just seems as if a certain portion of the online community is highlighting the Kinect not because of its connection to the issue at hand but rather because they are anti-MS or are one of those people who despite never using the new generation of Kinect or at the very least, given it a try, are grasping at straws in the vain hope that MS will release a Kinect-less Bundle.
I've seen people in there unboxing videos open the box and throw the Kinect across the room... I HATE those people didn't even try it
Master Sieder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:01 PM   #33
Lavindathar

Send a message via Skype™ to Lavindathar

Lavindathar's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gotta Go Fast! Franchise Club - Tier 1   Community Gaming - Gold   Micro Guide - Gold   Xbox One Maximum Clubs Apprentice   Off to the Races Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - troy0891   Free Agents - Third Place   Over Achiever - Gold   The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Cilisien   GRID 2 Award   5,000 Posts
Total Awards: 31 (more» ...)
Tbh I don't really care.

If someone wants to spy on me, knock yourself out.
Last Achievement : Repaid In Blood - Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor (Xbox One) - 10g
Last 100% Completion : FIFA '15 (1000g) (Xbox One)

Thanks to Rajeanero for the avatar and Audilicious for the sig.
Lavindathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:40 PM   #34
Spade.

Send a message via Skype™ to Spade.

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Donator - Level 2   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff Club - Minty   Subscriber - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   Micro Guide - Bronze   Ambassador 1x1 Competition - Second Place
Total Awards: 15 (more» ...)
What sort of "intelligence" could they really gain from this? I really dob't care, but it seems to be too much for nothing.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:14 PM   #35
Grizzled Gamer

Screwju's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade. View Post
What sort of "intelligence" could they really gain from this? I really dob't care, but it seems to be too much for nothing.
The citizens of Nazi Germany thought the same thing; what do I care if it's the Jews, communists, homosexuals, Roma, or handicapped? Then they found out, sooner or later, they'll come for you too. They won't need a reason because there will be no one left to stand up to them.

My Battlelog:

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/user/Screwju/
Grizzled Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #36
Master Sieder

Master Sieder's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade. View Post
To right if they wanted to spy on us I think the Kinect would be one of the last things they will try to spy on us with first would be our computers phones ipods ipads hell even a CP radio why watch a lot of nerds play video games theres no power or anything they can gain from this but wasting all the tax payers money
Master Sieder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:22 PM   #37
PiixL

Send a message via Skype™ to PiixL

ImPiixL's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1   XBA Promoter
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
If they are looking at me I couldn't really care. Sure what are most gamers doing wrong anyway? Cheating? Scratching their balls? Getting drunk?

Xbox One: FIFA 15, NFS : Rivals & Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare

Arcade/DLC: N/A

Signature & Avatar Created By Mr Chaotix
PiixL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:37 PM   #38
Spade.

Send a message via Skype™ to Spade.

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Donator - Level 2   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff Club - Minty   Subscriber - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   Micro Guide - Bronze   Ambassador 1x1 Competition - Second Place
Total Awards: 15 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzled Gamer View Post
The citizens of Nazi Germany thought the same thing; what do I care if it's the Jews, communists, homosexuals, Roma, or handicapped? Then they found out, sooner or later, they'll come for you too. They won't need a reason because there will be no one left to stand up to them.
Wait, what?
Old 03-02-2014, 04:55 PM   #39
DarkxMaterials
Staff

DarkxMaterials's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Subscriber - Platinum   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Diamond
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
I thought it was funny that these people get paid to get off on hot pics "investigate" threats.
DarkxMaterials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:29 PM   #40
Emperor 95

Send a message via Skype™ to Emperor 95

Emperor 95's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Community Gaming - Gold   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Bronze   1,000 Posts   XBA Promoter
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Quote:
Whoa there pal. I think that is slightly different.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:30 PM   #41
Nitnoid

haZZmaTTaZZ's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I think most people are thinking in the "now" instead of looking to the future. Now, its pointless to spy thru the kinect. Once it is installed in millions of homes, who know? At least out in public, you know they're watching. Not so much in your home. 1984, THX-1138 and Eagle Eye may not be Science Fiction but Science Future. Just sayin'...
Nitnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:12 AM   #42
BluWolve
Subscribing Member

BluWolve's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 5   Subscriber - Platinum   Submit - Silver   A+ Thread Award   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Quote:
Err right... How can you even compare that to this...? You better be careful or the spaceships will come and abduct you again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty-Rex View Post
I am trained in gorilla warfare
BluWolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:16 AM   #43
Emperor 95

Send a message via Skype™ to Emperor 95

Emperor 95's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Community Gaming - Gold   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Bronze   1,000 Posts   XBA Promoter
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitnoid View Post
I think most people are thinking in the "now" instead of looking to the future. Now, its pointless to spy thru the kinect. Once it is installed in millions of homes, who know? At least out in public, you know they're watching. Not so much in your home. 1984, THX-1138 and Eagle Eye may not be Science Fiction but Science Future. Just sayin'...
Im sure you'll be fine if you put your tin-foil hat back on...
Old 03-03-2014, 12:27 AM   #44
Ty-Rex
video games

Tylord824's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 3   CABS Beta Tester   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 2   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Subscriber - Bronze   Micro Guide - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 10 (more» ...)
Quote:
You heard it here folks, Microsoft is literally Hitler.

Ty-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:51 AM   #45
Blood Inside

Blood Inside's Gamercard
I sure hope they weren't watching me try to boost achievements on Xbox Fitness, I must have looked ridiculous - running around in a circle for 3 hours in just my pants.